Digger (Alejandro González Iñárritu, 2026)

Discuss specific films and franchises
Message
Author
User avatar
mfunk9786
Under Chris' Protection
Joined: Fri May 16, 2008 8:43 pm
Location: Miami, FL

Re: Digger (Alejandro González Iñárritu, 2026)

#76 Post by mfunk9786 »

It isn’t better than Don’t Look Up. That film looks subtle and humble in comparison.
User avatar
Finch
Joined: Mon Jul 07, 2008 9:09 pm
Location: United States

Re: Digger (Alejandro González Iñárritu, 2026)

#77 Post by Finch »

mfunk9786 wrote: Wed Sep 23, 2026 3:19 pm
Spoiler
The moral of this picture being, in part, 'wealthy patrons/financiers of films and plays are the real heroes of our culture' certainly explains how it got made, but it doesn't explain why I'm supposed to be enraptured by it.
If that's what the film is saying, especially in this moment in time with everything that is going on, I can wholeheartedly say it deserves to flop hard.
User avatar
denti alligator
Joined: Thu Nov 04, 2004 1:36 am
Location: "born in heaven, raised in hell"

Re: Digger (Alejandro González Iñárritu, 2026)

#78 Post by denti alligator »

aox wrote: Wed Sep 23, 2026 4:57 pm I didn't expect this board to be so anti-Asteroid City. I think it is one of WA's best films. Certainly, from his late period.
If there's one thing this board is consistent about, it's being inconsistent in our appreciation of WA's films.
User avatar
hearthesilence
Joined: Fri Mar 04, 2005 8:22 am
Location: NYC

Re: Digger (Alejandro González Iñárritu, 2026)

#79 Post by hearthesilence »

I didn't like Asteroid City, but I wouldn't say it was terrible - still more palatable than most viewing options I'd find on an airplane.
User avatar
domino harvey
Dot Com Dom
Joined: Wed Jan 11, 2006 6:42 pm

Re: Digger (Alejandro González Iñárritu, 2026)

#80 Post by domino harvey »

beamish14 wrote: Wed Sep 23, 2026 7:14 pm I actually do think this will be a humongous bomb, though. Basically a Hollywood-ender for AGI
Nah. He might need to call in a favor to one of his stars to get the next one across the line but his track record will ensure he can work again (two directing Oscars, one Best Picture, countless actor noms, and of course the elusive DiCaprio Oscar). If the next one bombs and costs too much, sure, he might land in Director Jail (which, as Chazelle is proving, isn’t inescapable either), but remember that Cruise alone will result in this movie making money overseas

Some of you could really stand to be objective about some of this stuff (not mfunk, the only one here who’s actually seen this)
User avatar
mfunk9786
Under Chris' Protection
Joined: Fri May 16, 2008 8:43 pm
Location: Miami, FL

Re: Digger (Alejandro González Iñárritu, 2026)

#81 Post by mfunk9786 »

I just want to reiterate re: me being the only person here who’s seen it apparently - that I thought The Revenant and Babel had their moments, and that I went into this with a fully open mind and am a big admirer of Cruise’s ‘serious’ work prior to this. Not like I’m taking glee in being the turd in the punch bowl.
User avatar
colinr0380
Joined: Mon Nov 08, 2004 8:30 pm
Location: Chapel-en-le-Frith, Derbyshire, UK

Re: Digger (Alejandro González Iñárritu, 2026)

#82 Post by colinr0380 »

It sounds like it may be aimed towards the Tropic Thunder crowd?
User avatar
DeprongMori
Joined: Fri Apr 04, 2014 5:59 am
Location: San Francisco

Re: Digger (Alejandro González Iñárritu, 2026)

#83 Post by DeprongMori »

DimitriL wrote: Wed Sep 23, 2026 3:33 pm
The Elegant Dandy Fop wrote: Tue Sep 22, 2026 4:04 pm This is getting a Vistavision release in NYC, LA, Boston, and London. I purchased tickets for the Los Angeles screening. One Battle After Another had some technical hiccups and I heard some stories about major failures and by the end of the first weekend a few frames were missing from the opening of the film in LA.
I think Coolidge Corner in Cambridge has wound up being the best VistaVision house on the planet. Flawless presentation of One Battle there, and I feel lucky to have caught it.
Small correction: The Coolidge Corner Theatre is is Brookline, not Cambridge. It’s on the opposite side of the Charles River.

(I was thrilled to have been able to revisit it and see One Battle After Another in VistaVision there during a brief air travel layover on my way back to the West Coast.)
User avatar
The Elegant Dandy Fop
Joined: Thu Dec 09, 2004 7:25 am
Location: Los Angeles, CA

Re: Digger (Alejandro González Iñárritu, 2026)

#84 Post by The Elegant Dandy Fop »

Artist and printmaker Ed Ruscha made an alternative poster for Digger.
User avatar
mfunk9786
Under Chris' Protection
Joined: Fri May 16, 2008 8:43 pm
Location: Miami, FL

Re: Digger (Alejandro González Iñárritu, 2026)

#85 Post by mfunk9786 »

Reviews are out. 52% on RT, 46 on Metacritic (notably with no critic going to bat to give it a perfect score). Guessing this makes the Oscar path difficult, but I’ve been surprised before at what they like.
User avatar
therewillbeblus
Joined: Tue Dec 22, 2015 7:40 pm

Re: Digger (Alejandro González Iñárritu, 2026)

#86 Post by therewillbeblus »

I like how even the most positive reviews say the movie is funny but not "fun." Beyond excited for this messy big swing Art film, my favorite kind of movie these days
User avatar
zedz
Joined: Sun Nov 07, 2004 11:24 pm

Re: Digger (Alejandro González Iñárritu, 2026)

#88 Post by zedz »

I wonder if they're going to go for the "it's supposed to be bad!" strategy.
User avatar
mfunk9786
Under Chris' Protection
Joined: Fri May 16, 2008 8:43 pm
Location: Miami, FL

Re: Digger (Alejandro González Iñárritu, 2026)

#89 Post by mfunk9786 »

zedz wrote: Tue Sep 29, 2026 7:44 pm I wonder if they're going to go for the "it's supposed to be bad!" strategy.
Won't get into it because I don't want to spoil the specifics of the film, but that's literally a message that the film delivers itself about 2/3rds of the way in. Wouldn't be a marketing invention, it's inherent to the plot that what you've just bought a ticket to watch is bad on purpose.
User avatar
swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher
Joined: Tue Apr 15, 2008 2:25 pm
Location: SLC, UT

Re: Digger (Alejandro González Iñárritu, 2026)

#90 Post by swo17 »

I assume you're referring to something like the wine tasting scene at the start of Napa Boys?
User avatar
therewillbeblus
Joined: Tue Dec 22, 2015 7:40 pm

Re: Digger (Alejandro González Iñárritu, 2026)

#91 Post by therewillbeblus »

I think I already half-spoiled the 'twist' for myself simply by going on wikipedia and seeing that
Spoiler
Cruise plays two roles
User avatar
The Narrator Returns
Joined: Tue Nov 15, 2011 10:35 pm

Re: Digger (Alejandro González Iñárritu, 2026)

#92 Post by The Narrator Returns »

swo17 wrote: Tue Sep 29, 2026 7:55 pm I assume you're referring to something like the wine tasting scene at the start of Napa Boys?
I'm hoping for a powerful statement on The World We Live In with
Spoiler
school-shooter Ivy Wolk
Post Reply