Digger (Alejandro González Iñárritu, 2026)
- mfunk9786
- Under Chris' Protection
- Joined: Fri May 16, 2008 8:43 pm
- Location: Miami, FL
Re: Digger (Alejandro González Iñárritu, 2026)
It isn’t better than Don’t Look Up. That film looks subtle and humble in comparison.
- Finch
- Joined: Mon Jul 07, 2008 9:09 pm
- Location: United States
Re: Digger (Alejandro González Iñárritu, 2026)
If that's what the film is saying, especially in this moment in time with everything that is going on, I can wholeheartedly say it deserves to flop hard.mfunk9786 wrote: Wed Sep 23, 2026 3:19 pmSpoiler
The moral of this picture being, in part, 'wealthy patrons/financiers of films and plays are the real heroes of our culture' certainly explains how it got made, but it doesn't explain why I'm supposed to be enraptured by it.
- denti alligator
- Joined: Thu Nov 04, 2004 1:36 am
- Location: "born in heaven, raised in hell"
Re: Digger (Alejandro González Iñárritu, 2026)
If there's one thing this board is consistent about, it's being inconsistent in our appreciation of WA's films.aox wrote: Wed Sep 23, 2026 4:57 pm I didn't expect this board to be so anti-Asteroid City. I think it is one of WA's best films. Certainly, from his late period.
- hearthesilence
- Joined: Fri Mar 04, 2005 8:22 am
- Location: NYC
Re: Digger (Alejandro González Iñárritu, 2026)
I didn't like Asteroid City, but I wouldn't say it was terrible - still more palatable than most viewing options I'd find on an airplane.
- domino harvey
- Dot Com Dom
- Joined: Wed Jan 11, 2006 6:42 pm
Re: Digger (Alejandro González Iñárritu, 2026)
Nah. He might need to call in a favor to one of his stars to get the next one across the line but his track record will ensure he can work again (two directing Oscars, one Best Picture, countless actor noms, and of course the elusive DiCaprio Oscar). If the next one bombs and costs too much, sure, he might land in Director Jail (which, as Chazelle is proving, isn’t inescapable either), but remember that Cruise alone will result in this movie making money overseasbeamish14 wrote: Wed Sep 23, 2026 7:14 pm I actually do think this will be a humongous bomb, though. Basically a Hollywood-ender for AGI
Some of you could really stand to be objective about some of this stuff (not mfunk, the only one here who’s actually seen this)
- mfunk9786
- Under Chris' Protection
- Joined: Fri May 16, 2008 8:43 pm
- Location: Miami, FL
Re: Digger (Alejandro González Iñárritu, 2026)
I just want to reiterate re: me being the only person here who’s seen it apparently - that I thought The Revenant and Babel had their moments, and that I went into this with a fully open mind and am a big admirer of Cruise’s ‘serious’ work prior to this. Not like I’m taking glee in being the turd in the punch bowl.
- colinr0380
- Joined: Mon Nov 08, 2004 8:30 pm
- Location: Chapel-en-le-Frith, Derbyshire, UK
Re: Digger (Alejandro González Iñárritu, 2026)
It sounds like it may be aimed towards the Tropic Thunder crowd?
- DeprongMori
- Joined: Fri Apr 04, 2014 5:59 am
- Location: San Francisco
Re: Digger (Alejandro González Iñárritu, 2026)
Small correction: The Coolidge Corner Theatre is is Brookline, not Cambridge. It’s on the opposite side of the Charles River.DimitriL wrote: Wed Sep 23, 2026 3:33 pmI think Coolidge Corner in Cambridge has wound up being the best VistaVision house on the planet. Flawless presentation of One Battle there, and I feel lucky to have caught it.The Elegant Dandy Fop wrote: Tue Sep 22, 2026 4:04 pm This is getting a Vistavision release in NYC, LA, Boston, and London. I purchased tickets for the Los Angeles screening. One Battle After Another had some technical hiccups and I heard some stories about major failures and by the end of the first weekend a few frames were missing from the opening of the film in LA.
(I was thrilled to have been able to revisit it and see One Battle After Another in VistaVision there during a brief air travel layover on my way back to the West Coast.)
- The Elegant Dandy Fop
- Joined: Thu Dec 09, 2004 7:25 am
- Location: Los Angeles, CA
Re: Digger (Alejandro González Iñárritu, 2026)
Artist and printmaker Ed Ruscha made an alternative poster for Digger.
- mfunk9786
- Under Chris' Protection
- Joined: Fri May 16, 2008 8:43 pm
- Location: Miami, FL
Re: Digger (Alejandro González Iñárritu, 2026)
Reviews are out. 52% on RT, 46 on Metacritic (notably with no critic going to bat to give it a perfect score). Guessing this makes the Oscar path difficult, but I’ve been surprised before at what they like.
- therewillbeblus
- Joined: Tue Dec 22, 2015 7:40 pm
Re: Digger (Alejandro González Iñárritu, 2026)
I like how even the most positive reviews say the movie is funny but not "fun." Beyond excited for this messy big swing Art film, my favorite kind of movie these days
- mfunk9786
- Under Chris' Protection
- Joined: Fri May 16, 2008 8:43 pm
- Location: Miami, FL
- zedz
- Joined: Sun Nov 07, 2004 11:24 pm
Re: Digger (Alejandro González Iñárritu, 2026)
I wonder if they're going to go for the "it's supposed to be bad!" strategy.
- mfunk9786
- Under Chris' Protection
- Joined: Fri May 16, 2008 8:43 pm
- Location: Miami, FL
Re: Digger (Alejandro González Iñárritu, 2026)
Won't get into it because I don't want to spoil the specifics of the film, but that's literally a message that the film delivers itself about 2/3rds of the way in. Wouldn't be a marketing invention, it's inherent to the plot that what you've just bought a ticket to watch is bad on purpose.zedz wrote: Tue Sep 29, 2026 7:44 pm I wonder if they're going to go for the "it's supposed to be bad!" strategy.
- swo17
- Bloodthirsty Butcher
- Joined: Tue Apr 15, 2008 2:25 pm
- Location: SLC, UT
Re: Digger (Alejandro González Iñárritu, 2026)
I assume you're referring to something like the wine tasting scene at the start of Napa Boys?
- therewillbeblus
- Joined: Tue Dec 22, 2015 7:40 pm
Re: Digger (Alejandro González Iñárritu, 2026)
I think I already half-spoiled the 'twist' for myself simply by going on wikipedia and seeing that
Spoiler
Cruise plays two roles