Technical Issues and Questions

Discuss North American DVDs, Blu-rays, UHDs, and related topics
Post Reply
Message
Author
Maladroit Aggregator
Joined: Wed Aug 07, 2024 12:44 am

Re: Technical Issues and Questions

#2401 Post by Maladroit Aggregator »

There's a guy on twitter who has posted a few "remuxes" of films that appear to be ENORMOUS files (>1Terrabytes, etc.) in formats I'm not familiar with:

https://x.com/rippersarchive/status/2104690458886910272
The Deer Hunter (1978)

4K DCP ProRes 4444 Encode (1.16TB)

&

4K DCP ProRes HQ Encode (799GB)

&

4K DCP ProRes LT Encode (379GB)

&

4K DCP x264 Encode (61GB)
He's been asked about what exactly these formats are, his process, what the source material is, but none of his answers make sense. There's no way he can genuinely get files this large from even a UHD (<100 G) and I know he's not scanning film elements, so I wonder what the hell is going on. He does post scores of other legitimate rips and scans in formats and sizes that makes mathematical sense.
Post Reply