Radiance Films General Discussion & Wishlist
- olmo
- Joined: Wed Jul 16, 2014 5:10 pm
Re: Radiance Films General Discussion & Wishlist
Oh dear, I....for Icarus is laughably bad. Haven't heard of Farewell, Mr. President, looks interesting.
- JSC
- Joined: Thu May 16, 2013 1:17 pm
Re: Radiance Films General Discussion & Wishlist
Have to agree about I...for Icarus. Really don't understand what kind of tone it
was going for. Might've worked better as a dark satire.
was going for. Might've worked better as a dark satire.
- tenia
- Ask Me About My Bassoon
- Joined: Wed Apr 29, 2009 3:13 pm
Re: Radiance Films General Discussion & Wishlist
I for Icarus is just way too didactic. It's OK but it halts for 40 minutes to explain the Milgram experiment, making for a bumpy ride pace-wise.
- ryannichols7
- Joined: Mon Jul 16, 2012 6:26 pm
Re: Radiance Films General Discussion & Wishlist
Our January to June schedule includes: box sets and collections dedicated to Radical Japan, French crime, ninjas; numerous new UHD titles; and the return of our favourite auteurs alongside masters debuting on Radiance, including Peter Watkins, Jacques Rivette, Valerio Zurlini, Andrzej Zulawski, Kinji Fukasaku, Seijun Suzuki and more.
Titles we have planned for the first half of 2027 include:
Approximately 19 releases including numerous UHDs and at least three box sets
Punishment Room
Farewell Mr. President
I… for Icarus
A film from Takashi Miike
Ninjas!
A film from Valerio Zurlini
A Spanish masterpiece
Films from the Taiwanese New Wave
A film from Jacques Rivette
French crime!
A Japanese masterpiece
A film from Andrzej Zulawski
A sci-fi satire
A film from Kinji Fukasaku
A European epic
A new volume of Radical Japan
And more…
Later in the year we look forward to bringing you classic Polars, World Noir, even more Radical Japan, films from Tsai-Ming Liang, Claire Denis, and many surprises from around the world
- Finch
- Joined: Mon Jul 07, 2008 9:09 pm
- Location: United States
Re: Radiance Films General Discussion & Wishlist
Next month, some sauce with your fish and chips!
- Finch
- Joined: Mon Jul 07, 2008 9:09 pm
- Location: United States
Re: Radiance Films General Discussion & Wishlist
Thrilled about the Miracle Mile 4K, thank you, Paul!
- Finch
- Joined: Mon Jul 07, 2008 9:09 pm
- Location: United States
Re: Radiance Films General Discussion & Wishlist
The 2027 cover confirms Gozu and Le Pont Du Nord. Anyone identify the other films?
Ninjas is likely Shinobi Vol 3.

Ninjas is likely Shinobi Vol 3.

-
Calvin
- Joined: Sun Apr 10, 2011 3:12 pm
Re: Radiance Films General Discussion & Wishlist
That will be The Desert of the TartarsFinch wrote:Next month, some sauce with your fish and chips!
- rapta
- Joined: Sun Jun 29, 2014 9:04 pm
- Location: SW UK
Re: Radiance Films General Discussion & Wishlist
I wonder what Tsai and Denis films are, anyone reckon they can guess? Lots of exciting teases, including two Radical Japan sets...hoping for some Erice or Saura for the 'Spanish masterpiece' and similarly maybe Imamura's Profound Desires of the Gods for 'Japanese masterpiece'.
-
HardNight'sDay
- Joined: Thu May 07, 2026 12:48 pm
- Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Re: Radiance Films General Discussion & Wishlist
I assumed they got Tsai's The River and/or The Hole.rapta wrote: Wed Oct 07, 2026 11:39 am I wonder what Tsai and Denis films are, anyone reckon they can guess? Lots of exciting teases, including two Radical Japan sets...hoping for some Erice or Saura for the 'Spanish masterpiece' and similarly maybe Imamura's Profound Desires of the Gods for 'Japanese masterpiece'.
Last edited by HardNight'sDay on Wed Oct 07, 2026 11:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
-
Zot!
- Joined: Wed Jan 20, 2010 4:09 am
Re: Radiance Films General Discussion & Wishlist
Interesting that they call out both "FilmS from the Taiwanese New Wave", and Tsai-Ming Liang. Any guesses?
-
sabbath
- Joined: Fri Apr 25, 2014 10:29 am
Re: Radiance Films General Discussion & Wishlist
The right-middle one is Punishment Room.Finch wrote: Wed Oct 07, 2026 11:29 am The 2027 cover confirms Gozu and Le Pont Du Nord. Anyone identify the other films?Spoiler
- dadaistnun
- Joined: Thu Nov 04, 2004 12:31 pm
Re: Radiance Films General Discussion & Wishlist
Wouldn't be surprised if the Denis is No Fear, No Die since it was restored within the last several years (although, would the cockfighting preclude this?). There's a French disc with English subs, but no UK disc afaik. Would love for it to be Friday Night or Nenette et Boni.
- Peacock
- Joined: Mon Dec 22, 2008 11:47 pm
- Location: Scotland
Re: Radiance Films General Discussion & Wishlist
Was close to buying the Italian BD so glad I held off. Should be a great release.Calvin wrote: Wed Oct 07, 2026 11:37 amThat will be The Desert of the TartarsFinch wrote:Next month, some sauce with your fish and chips!
-
Calvin
- Joined: Sun Apr 10, 2011 3:12 pm
Re: Radiance Films General Discussion & Wishlist
I believe that the BBFC advised labels back in the day not to bother submitting it, so I would be somewhat surprised if Radiance risked the headache - especially considering there's a French disc as you mentioned.dadaistnun wrote:Wouldn't be surprised if the Denis is No Fear, No Die since it was restored within the last several years (although, would the cockfighting preclude this?). There's a French disc with English subs, but no UK disc afaik. Would love for it to be Friday Night or Nenette et Boni.
I'm not sure it can be purely coincidence that Carlotta have also confirmed they have both Tsai and Denis planned on their release schedule for 2027. For Tsai they have What Time Is It There?, The Wayward Cloud and I Don't Want to Sleep Alone and, for Claire Denis, 35 Shots of Rum, Friday Night, and I Can't Sleep.
- Finch
- Joined: Mon Jul 07, 2008 9:09 pm
- Location: United States
Re: Radiance Films General Discussion & Wishlist
Keeping fingers crossed that the Fukasaku is Black Lizard.
- Adam X
- Joined: Thu Apr 16, 2009 9:04 am
Re: Radiance Films General Discussion & Wishlist
They may well have, but the cockfighting was reportedly filmed without harming the animals, and I’m sure I remember hearing that the close-ups were faked. Having still not got around to getting that French disc, would love it to be this.Calvin wrote: Wed Oct 07, 2026 12:14 pmI believe that the BBFC advised labels back in the day not to bother submitting it, so I would be somewhat surprised if Radiance risked the headache…
What Time Is It There? getting a new release is great news, though.
Fingers crossed it’s possible to include Paris s'en va with Le Pont du Nord.
- senseabove
- Joined: Wed Dec 02, 2015 7:07 am
- Location: SF Bay
Re: Radiance Films General Discussion & Wishlist
And that we get The Skywalk is Gone with What Time Is It There?
- Adam X
- Joined: Thu Apr 16, 2009 9:04 am
Re: Radiance Films General Discussion & Wishlist
Sounds good to me!
- Lowry_Sam
- Joined: Mon Jul 05, 2010 7:35 pm
- Location: San Francisco, CA
Re: Radiance Films General Discussion & Wishlist
Criterion channel used to have it in its library when it first started (I believe it opened w/ a crazy C), but at some point got dropped. At some point it added Inoue's version, which still is there & opens w/ the crazy C. I always hoped for a dual edition like The Killers was coming, but it never happened.
- Peacock
- Joined: Mon Dec 22, 2008 11:47 pm
- Location: Scotland
Re: Radiance Films General Discussion & Wishlist
The cocks in No Fear most certainly get injured!
I forget the name of the catalogue but as others have said now that the rights issues with the library of films inc certain key Denis' and Tsai's, Pola X etc are resolved I imagine and hope the titles will come from that group rather than be a Radiance version of a film which already has a great English subbed BD and may be a financial risk to bring to BBFC.
I only hope that Fran continues doing the Lords work and fills in all of the Tsai and Denis gaps he can! Some huge titles stuck out there on DVD.
I forget the name of the catalogue but as others have said now that the rights issues with the library of films inc certain key Denis' and Tsai's, Pola X etc are resolved I imagine and hope the titles will come from that group rather than be a Radiance version of a film which already has a great English subbed BD and may be a financial risk to bring to BBFC.
I only hope that Fran continues doing the Lords work and fills in all of the Tsai and Denis gaps he can! Some huge titles stuck out there on DVD.
Last edited by Peacock on Wed Oct 07, 2026 5:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
- justeleblanc
- Joined: Wed Nov 03, 2004 10:05 pm
- Location: Connecticut
Re: Radiance Films General Discussion & Wishlist
Bottom right looks like ENIGMA OF KASPER HAUSER. Top right reminds me of a Peter Watkins film, but I can't place which one.
- The Fanciful Norwegian
- Joined: Tue Nov 02, 2004 6:24 pm
- Location: Teegeeack
Re: Radiance Films General Discussion & Wishlist
I don't recall a revolver in Kaspar Hauser. Also, from what I can tell the BFI Herzog box is still in print.
- Adam X
- Joined: Thu Apr 16, 2009 9:04 am
Re: Radiance Films General Discussion & Wishlist
While it’s been a long time since I’ve seen the film, and obviously there’s a difference between harmed & killed, this interview with Denis & Isaach de Bankolé at least infers that what’s on screen isn’t necessarily as real as it might appear.
I understand the sentiment, but as someone who doesn’t live in the Northern Hemisphere, buying things from countries in mainland Europe is rarely a simple thing, regardless of how great a given release might be.Peacock wrote: Wed Oct 07, 2026 5:23 pm …rather than be a Radiance version of a film which already has a great English subbed BD
Last edited by Adam X on Wed Oct 07, 2026 6:48 pm, edited 2 times in total.
- therewillbeblus
- Joined: Tue Dec 22, 2015 7:40 pm
Re: Radiance Films General Discussion & Wishlist
Could it be Punishment Park? That seems like it'd be the most optimal Watkins release for salesjusteleblanc wrote: Wed Oct 07, 2026 5:24 pm Top right reminds me of a Peter Watkins film, but I can't place which one.