Warner Brothers Archive Collection Blu-rays

Discuss North American DVDs, Blu-rays, UHDs, and related topics
Message
Author
User avatar
domino harvey
Dot Com Dom
Joined: Wed Jan 11, 2006 6:42 pm

Re: Warner Brothers Archive Collection Blu-rays

#3326 Post by domino harvey »

Two Mrs Carrolls is Bogart’s worst film. Unconscionable choice
domino harvey wrote: Wed Jul 01, 2015 1:38 pm the Two Mrs Carrolls (Peter Godfrey 1947) A film so bad that Warners sat on it for years waiting for Bogart to be popular enough for it to not matter to audiences. Bogart and Barbara Stanwyck are the unlikely pairing at the center of this ripoff of Suspicion and Gaslight, with Bogart's worst performance (I haven't seen them all but there's no possible way he was ever worse than this) and one of the worst child performances ever captured. Lots of milestones here, none of them positive.
domino harvey wrote: Sat Dec 04, 2010 10:25 pm
Johnny Eager's probably more a gangster film than noir, but nevertheless, it's a real crackerjack with a fun Robert Taylor performance-- I'm starting to wonder if I've had such a negative view of Taylor just because his best roles are buried in TCM/Archive limbo? Van Heflin’s drunktank act is a little tired, though surprise surprise, the Academy gave him an Oscar for it. This one has some clever setpieces and good interplay between worlds of deception and is a nice entry in the tail-end of the gangster genre. It is also a better film than anything in the last two Gangster sets-- seriously, someone wanted Picture Snatcher over this?
My Favorite Wife leaves only Destination Tokyo and the Bachelor and the Bobbysoxer left from the Cary Grant Signature box, so I assume/hope they’re on the docket

And Babes in Arms means they’re willing to release the blackface Mickey and Judy musicals, so I’m sure the other one is coming soon too
User avatar
soundchaser
Leave Her to Beaver
Joined: Sun Aug 28, 2016 4:32 am

Re: Warner Brothers Archive Collection Blu-rays

#3327 Post by soundchaser »

WAC giveth, etc.

After last month's announcements, I'm ok with an objectively disastrous slate.
User avatar
domino harvey
Dot Com Dom
Joined: Wed Jan 11, 2006 6:42 pm

Re: Warner Brothers Archive Collection Blu-rays

#3328 Post by domino harvey »

It is objectively funny that the Blu-ray.com forum is calling this an amazing month
User avatar
starmanof51
Joined: Fri Nov 05, 2004 7:28 am
Location: Seattleish
Contact:

Re: Warner Brothers Archive Collection Blu-rays

#3329 Post by starmanof51 »

domino harvey wrote: Mon Oct 05, 2026 9:58 pm It is objectively funny that the Blu-ray.com forum is calling this an amazing month
I went from this thread to theirs and a real laugh
James Stock
Joined: Fri Jul 10, 2026 2:55 pm

Re: Warner Brothers Archive Collection Blu-rays

#3330 Post by James Stock »

domino harvey wrote: Mon Oct 05, 2026 9:58 pm It is objectively funny that the Blu-ray.com forum is calling this an amazing month
They say that every month. :D
User avatar
domino harvey
Dot Com Dom
Joined: Wed Jan 11, 2006 6:42 pm

Re: Warner Brothers Archive Collection Blu-rays

#3331 Post by domino harvey »

WTF I just learned that like many of us, Van Heflin is an Oklahoman. He even went to OU! Granted he won in an absolutely miserable year of contenders (I like Bendix better but they were never giving him an Oscar) but I guess I can feel a little better about it now
Post Reply