Essentials from Germany
-
Zot!
- Joined: Wed Jan 20, 2010 4:09 am
Re: Essentials from Germany
Are you sure it's not region blocking? Many smaller sites seem to block things from overseas to minimize their security footprint. I was able to order the Terminator disc from elsewhere in Europe. One of the extras is a 4:3 version....what is the point of this? I would understand an alternate widescreen that removes the matting to reveal the entirety of the exposed image. But introducing a heavily pillarboxed version just to add some minor headroom seems wacky. No matter, I'm just here for the main event of the Cameroned 4K with English Mono + a de-Cameroned BD with English Mono (exclusive here). I won't lie that I will also dip in to listen to Arnold deliver his lines in German.
-
nicolas
- Joined: Sat Apr 29, 2023 3:34 pm
Re: Essentials from Germany
Terminator can now be pre-ordered at JPC and Amazon. Right now, Amazon is apparently geoblocked for international buyers though.
Mediabook A:
https://www.jpc.de/jpcng/movie/detail/- ... m/12917301
https://www.amazon.de/dp/B0HJ24HLYC
Mediabook B:
https://www.jpc.de/jpcng/movie/detail/- ... m/12917302
https://www.amazon.de/dp/B0HJ26BWBP
Steelbook A:
https://www.jpc.de/jpcng/movie/detail/- ... m/12917299
https://www.amazon.de/dp/B0HJ236S6D
Steelbook B:
https://www.jpc.de/jpcng/movie/detail/- ... m/12917300
https://www.amazon.de/dp/B0HJ216N21
Mediabook A:
https://www.jpc.de/jpcng/movie/detail/- ... m/12917301
https://www.amazon.de/dp/B0HJ24HLYC
Mediabook B:
https://www.jpc.de/jpcng/movie/detail/- ... m/12917302
https://www.amazon.de/dp/B0HJ26BWBP
Steelbook A:
https://www.jpc.de/jpcng/movie/detail/- ... m/12917299
https://www.amazon.de/dp/B0HJ236S6D
Steelbook B:
https://www.jpc.de/jpcng/movie/detail/- ... m/12917300
https://www.amazon.de/dp/B0HJ216N21
- Finch
- Joined: Mon Jul 07, 2008 9:09 pm
- Location: United States
Re: Essentials from Germany
Thanks Nicholas. Went with jpc because I'm not giving Amazon my business if I can help it. I almost bailed when I saw the $60 total after conversion but then I looked at Orbit charging $60 for Australian steelbooks from Umbrella and figured they'd ask the same for the Capelight ones. The mono track and 35mm scan better be worth it.
Edit: steelbooks up at Orbit and only $39,99. Grabbed a copy and reached out to jpc if they would cancel my order with them.
Edit: steelbooks up at Orbit and only $39,99. Grabbed a copy and reached out to jpc if they would cancel my order with them.
-
Zot!
- Joined: Wed Jan 20, 2010 4:09 am
Re: Essentials from Germany
They keep hiking up the price of these...it has risen substantially in cost twice now. Maybe that is just the way Capelight operates, like tiered early bird pricing or something. It is the mono track on the un-AI DNRed BD transfer that people are excited about. There is precious little new here, but sadly it seems like the 4K will forever live in the Cameron stable of manipulated upgrades. I bought this too...not sure if any of it is really worth it, but its a longstanding favorite, and this might be the end of the road for this film in terms of physical media.Finch wrote: Mon Sep 07, 2026 12:18 pm Thanks Nicholas. Went with jpc because I'm not giving Amazon my business if I can help it. I almost bailed when I saw the $60 total after conversion but then I looked at Orbit charging $60 for Australian steelbooks from Umbrella and figured they'd ask the same for the Capelight ones. The mono track and 35mm scan better be worth it.
- Peacock
- Joined: Mon Dec 22, 2008 11:47 pm
- Location: Scotland
Re: Essentials from Germany
Filmjuwelen have announced Elem Klimov’s Farewell / Proshchanie (1983) for Blu-ray in Germany on 10 December 2026:
Specs are 1080p, 1.37:1, BD-50, 126 mins, with Russian DTS-HD MA 2.0 plus both East and West German dubs. Subtitles are English, German, French, Italian and Spanish.
Extras include Klimov’s Larisa, interviews with Aleksei Petrenko and German Klimov, a piece by Hans-Joachim Schlegel, commentary by Rolf Giesen, DEFA opening/closing credits and a German trailer.
The subtitle options and a few of the extras are the same as the old RUSCICO/Mosfilm DVD, so Filmjuwelen are clearly drawing on some of the same materials.
What I can’t find is any information about the HD master itself. Filmjuwelen don’t mention a new 2K or 4K restoration, and Mosfilm’s own page still only lists the film in SD. But they did screen a 4K DCP recently so it's possible (hopefully) it's from that?
So kinda unclear whether this is a proper native-HD master or an upscale (nicolas has elsewhere pointed out that this label sometimes upscales...). Either way, it looks to be the first English-friendly Blu-ray release of the film.
Specs are 1080p, 1.37:1, BD-50, 126 mins, with Russian DTS-HD MA 2.0 plus both East and West German dubs. Subtitles are English, German, French, Italian and Spanish.
Extras include Klimov’s Larisa, interviews with Aleksei Petrenko and German Klimov, a piece by Hans-Joachim Schlegel, commentary by Rolf Giesen, DEFA opening/closing credits and a German trailer.
The subtitle options and a few of the extras are the same as the old RUSCICO/Mosfilm DVD, so Filmjuwelen are clearly drawing on some of the same materials.
What I can’t find is any information about the HD master itself. Filmjuwelen don’t mention a new 2K or 4K restoration, and Mosfilm’s own page still only lists the film in SD. But they did screen a 4K DCP recently so it's possible (hopefully) it's from that?
So kinda unclear whether this is a proper native-HD master or an upscale (nicolas has elsewhere pointed out that this label sometimes upscales...). Either way, it looks to be the first English-friendly Blu-ray release of the film.
-
Stefan Andersson
- Joined: Thu Nov 15, 2007 5:02 am
Re: Essentials from Germany
Brothers Karamazov (Pyriev, Uljanov, Lavrov, 1968); 2.35, English subs:
https://fernsehjuwelen.de/Die-Brueder-K ... ay/6426068
https://fernsehjuwelen.de/Die-Brueder-K ... Ds/6426067
https://fernsehjuwelen.de/Die-Brueder-K ... ay/6426068
https://fernsehjuwelen.de/Die-Brueder-K ... Ds/6426067
- Lowry_Sam
- Joined: Mon Jul 05, 2010 7:35 pm
- Location: San Francisco, CA
Re: Essentials from Germany
They also have a UHD of Come And See coming out in November, any advanced speculation on the quality of their releases?Peacock wrote: Sat Oct 03, 2026 5:52 pm Filmjuwelen have announced Elem Klimov’s Farewell / Proshchanie (1983) for Blu-ray in Germany on 10 December 2026:
Experiences w/ orders to the US?
-
nicolas
- Joined: Sat Apr 29, 2023 3:34 pm
Re: Essentials from Germany
Not good. It will be a 2K upscale with fake HDR just like Solaris and Stalker. The audio tracks of these two are in the wrong pitch, so it’s always recommended to wait for reviews with Filmjuwelen.Lowry_Sam wrote: Mon Oct 05, 2026 9:09 pmThey also have a UHD of Come And See coming out in November, any advanced speculation on the quality of their releases?