Film Noir : A Guide

Discuss film culture and criticism
Message
Author
User avatar
FrauBlucher
Joined: Tue Jul 16, 2013 12:28 am
Location: Greenwich Village

Re: Film Noir : A Guide

#51 Post by FrauBlucher »

He wasn't specific about why it was not but admitted that it's dark, mean spirited characterization could make it a noir. I wonder if it's more the look or the satirical bent that makes him say no
User avatar
reaky
Joined: Wed Nov 03, 2004 12:53 pm
Location: Cambridge, England

Re: Film Noir : A Guide

#52 Post by reaky »

For me, it’s core noir (and Wilder’s best film). Doom is ineluctable, all the protagonists are amoral, and you could cut yourself on the dialogue. The only arguments against it being noir are I guess that there’s no obvious law-breaking or gunplay, it’s rural and plays out in broad daylight, but Imogen Sara Smith in her great book In Lonely Places describes it as distilled noir.
User avatar
zedz
Joined: Sun Nov 07, 2004 11:24 pm

Re: Film Noir : A Guide

#53 Post by zedz »

domino harvey wrote:There are many noirs that bleed two or more genres. I programmed a whole week of such films (the Spiral Staircase, the Naked Spur, etc) when I did my huge noir unit where my students all watched ~50 or more noirs
It always pays to remember that nobody making noirs in the 40s and 50s knew they were making films noirs. They were all operating in other genres.
Post Reply