Arrow Announcements, Speculation & Wild, Irresponsible Conjecture

News on Arrow Video releases.

Moderators: MichaelB, yoloswegmaster

tenia
Ask Me About My Bassoon

Re: Arrow Announcements, Speculation & Wild, Irresponsible Conjecture

#1601 Post by tenia » Mon Dec 14, 2020 5:37 am

I suppose UHDs for Woody Allen movies would also be editorially more complicated considering his refusal to add on-disc extras, so it'd basically be a bare-bones 1.0 disc, and even with a lavish 4K restoration (does Woody Allen at least agree to do HDR restorations of his movies ? I know he's sticking to mono, so who knows his stand on HDR), I wonder the appeal of such a disc considering how part of the UHD crowd seems bent on "paper specs" (ie the theoritical part of things "no HDR/no Atmos, no sale" kind of people).

JamesF

#1602 Post by JamesF » Mon Dec 14, 2020 8:43 am

Zero plans for any Woody on UHD, and (at least as far as I'm aware) zero plans for any further Woody releases from Arrow full stop.

Roscoe

#1603 Post by Roscoe » Mon Dec 14, 2020 8:58 am

A pity -- I'd shell out for a UHD disc of MANHATTAN, if not for much else of Allen's output.

What A Disgrace

#1604 Post by What A Disgrace » Mon Dec 14, 2020 10:02 am

Before, I'd think The Apartment and Network are probably the only two films in the Academy lineup with enough clout to get a 4K release. But if Annie Hall and Manhattan aren't getting the treatment, then I don't know.

Ribs

#1605 Post by Ribs » Mon Dec 14, 2020 11:47 am

tenia wrote:
Mon Dec 14, 2020 5:37 am
I suppose UHDs for Woody Allen movies would also be editorially more complicated considering his refusal to add on-disc extras, so it'd basically be a bare-bones 1.0 disc, and even with a lavish 4K restoration (does Woody Allen at least agree to do HDR restorations of his movies ? I know he's sticking to mono, so who knows his stand on HDR), I wonder the appeal of such a disc considering how part of the UHD crowd seems bent on "paper specs" (ie the theoritical part of things "no HDR/no Atmos, no sale" kind of people).
Part of the idea of it making sense for Arrow is they had already come up with a model that was a best-case scenario; a nice hardcase set with both films and a pretty lengthy book with essay(s), interviews, etc etc is the best you could do. It also would have afforded Arrow the option to do the releases right after they disappointingly weren't able to fix the subtitle issue or at least reencode the masters from the box set releases to be the best they could be. I am curious if they just let it lapse or if the rights (again, not necessarily for a UHD release specifically but to the new restoration) are just sitting with like Shout or something (has to be one of the US labels) and they haven't released it.

On a scale of Kino "we would never even consider releasing Irma La Douce on UHD" (a real thing KL Insider said), I think Arrow seems to be doing pretty well with its UHD picks not seeming like they are absolutely confined to a very specific niche of genre American titles that would sell the absolute best. I don't imagine they'll be releasing like American as Seen by a Frenchman on UHD but I don't think it's out of the question they would try The Apartment as stated or maybe even Fear Eats the Soul or The Conformist or some similar major art house title comparable to Cinema Paradiso. It's a process and as the market continues to grow they will go deeper into the pool releasing slightly more and more seemingly niche titles.

tenia
Ask Me About My Bassoon

#1606 Post by tenia » Mon Dec 14, 2020 12:58 pm

Ribs wrote:
Mon Dec 14, 2020 11:47 am
Part of the idea of it making sense for Arrow is they had already come up with a model that was a best-case scenario; a nice hardcase set with both films and a pretty lengthy book with essay(s), interviews, etc etc is the best you could do. It also would have afforded Arrow the option to do the releases right after they disappointingly weren't able to fix the subtitle issue or at least reencode the masters from the box set releases to be the best they could be.
I would understand that but, again, releasing a movie on UHD, especially after having already released it on BD, needs to have an all-around appeal in order not to lose part of its audience. And here, with all the limitations coming from Allen himself, it's hard for me to imagine a UHD release that wouldn't be deemed too expensive for what it offers. It probably would be quite OK for movies with a similar appeal because the release itself could be more packed but not those, which is what I meant.

Because otherwise, as you wrote, if Cinema Paradiso can get a UHD release, it opens quite a lot of possibilities.

Ribs

#1607 Post by Ribs » Mon Dec 14, 2020 1:07 pm

This is definitely in the "speculation and wild conjecture" side of things but I would really love to see the Academy line license some of the major Focus titles of the caliber of Gosford Park and put them on UHD. Brokeback Mountain is a movie with a truly dreadful existent transfer to the point I have to imagine *some* label with a Universal deal is at the least doing a new remaster for a new BD but I would of course love to see it on UHD also. I think for a variety of reasons that these kinds of titles would be the most idiosyncratic that Arrow could do while still making movies that ostensibly will sell (and Eternal Sunshine from Kino is already doing exactly this), and seeing as Universal is seemingly happy to license even really recent titles I wouldn't be surprised if it's just a matter of asking to do like In Bruges or maybe even like (not Focus, but still the right type of title I think) Hail Caesar.

Finch

#1608 Post by Finch » Mon Dec 14, 2020 1:33 pm

In Bruges is with Second Sight so the UHD would have to come from them.

beamish14

#1609 Post by beamish14 » Mon Dec 14, 2020 1:44 pm

Coldblooded is now with Focus (having being a Polygram title that was absorbed into Universal and now under the Focus umbrella).
An amazing film that deserves a rediscovery.

Calvin

#1610 Post by Calvin » Mon Dec 14, 2020 1:59 pm

tenia wrote:
Mon Dec 14, 2020 5:37 am
No idea what his thoughts would be on HDR, but you could have made the same argument re: extras when they were released on Blu-Ray. They could also save on production costs considering that they don't have to think about extras, and they could even put more than one Allen film on a disc.

But they're not doing that, so there's not point in talking about it further!

I would have assumed that Annie Hall and Manhattan would be the most commercially attractive titles in the entire Academy catalog - certainly no less than Cinema Paradiso - though maybe I'm underestimating how much of an impact recent reporting on the accusations levelled against Allen have had on sales. Considering that it was all in the public domain in the 90s, I would have thought that anyone likely to buy Manhattan in 2013 would have been just as likely 7 years later. Though there could be other reasons, such as another label holding onto the rights.

nitin

#1611 Post by nitin » Mon Dec 14, 2020 5:49 pm

Re Arrow Academy and UHD, so far we have had one title and the 4k restoration was carried out by someone else. Plus it's a fairly mainstream and popular movie as far as the Academy line goes. Given we also saw a vague twitter post from them that implied the Academy line was struggling and needed a rejig, I just cant see too many UHDs from that line. Happy, however, for that to be proven wildly incorrect.

Drucker
Your Future our Drucker

#1612 Post by Drucker » Mon Dec 14, 2020 6:43 pm

On the other hand, after Arrow had released Naked City I asked if there could be more Dassin films coming and they said no so...

dwk

#1613 Post by dwk » Mon Dec 14, 2020 7:27 pm

Some one at the Blu-ray.com forum posted that they got a Legend postcard in their Tremors UHD. Could be the LE UHD in October.

Ribs

#1614 Post by Ribs » Mon Dec 14, 2020 10:37 pm

nitin wrote:
Mon Dec 14, 2020 5:49 pm
Re Arrow Academy and UHD, so far we have had one title and the 4k restoration was carried out by someone else. Plus it's a fairly mainstream and popular movie as far as the Academy line goes. Given we also saw a vague twitter post from them that implied the Academy line was struggling and needed a rejig, I just cant see too many UHDs from that line. Happy, however, for that to be proven wildly incorrect.
I don’t think that post is at all about retirin) the line or anything like that but was more in line with a general rethinking of the kinds of titles they release; other than mostly forgotten Japanese films and the deluge of noir there really hasn’t been much of a consistent niche and the entire label has really not felt like there’s much of a curatorial oversight. Anyway, I expect Wolf of Wall Street a very likely second Academy UHD, at the least (I get why it could be either but can’t really see a good reason not to put it there in the end so long as the line exists)

L.A.

#1615 Post by L.A. » Tue Dec 15, 2020 4:11 pm

What A Disgrace

#1616 Post by What A Disgrace » Wed Dec 16, 2020 12:34 pm

The big page of clues definitely covers Arrow Academy releases, since we're getting a Dassin box in March.

JabbaTheSlut

#1617 Post by JabbaTheSlut » Wed Dec 16, 2020 12:44 pm

Can the 8 (August) YOLBOXSET actually be YOL boxset? https://yol-the-full-version.com/media/

swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

#1618 Post by swo17 » Fri Dec 18, 2020 11:47 am

New Arrow announcements include The Bloodhound and two Japanese Invisible Man films

What A Disgrace

#1619 Post by What A Disgrace » Fri Dec 18, 2020 11:51 am

TIM stands for the Invisible Man (double feature of the Invisible Man Appears and the Invisible Man vs. The Human Fly), and BLOOD stands for 2020's Bloodhound. The other title, "DUHD" seems to be delayed, and I think the final clue indicates that they were considering a delay for this title.

bluesforyou

#1620 Post by bluesforyou » Fri Dec 18, 2020 12:32 pm

What A Disgrace wrote:
Fri Dec 18, 2020 11:51 am
TIM stands for the Invisible Man (double feature of the Invisible Man Appears and the Invisible Man vs. The Human Fly), and BLOOD stands for 2020's Bloodhound. The other title, "DUHD" seems to be delayed, and I think the final clue indicates that they were considering a delay for this title.
If they were considering a delay they would have put a downward pointing arrow and question mark right beside it like they do in the rest of the document. "/D? ↓ ?" is a separate title.

midnitedave

#1621 Post by midnitedave » Sat Dec 26, 2020 2:47 pm

7. SB?
Hopefully that's a slew of Shaw Brothers titles... or just 36th Chamber. Either way, I'd be thrilled!

Ribs

#1622 Post by Ribs » Sun Dec 27, 2020 12:19 am

dshooker wrote:
Sat Dec 26, 2020 2:47 pm
7. SB?
Hopefully that's a slew of Shaw Brothers titles... or just 36th Chamber. Either way, I'd be thrilled!
The rumor (which predated 88’s first Shaw Bros releases going OOP, which signals they’re probably incoming in this deal) was Arrow had signed some mega deal for dozens of titles so I just assumed it was one (or more!) of the big box sets later in the chart, just because I feel that’s much more Arrow’s style then releasing that many titles piecemeal over a few years.

Adam X

#1623 Post by Adam X » Mon Dec 28, 2020 7:32 am

Someone's posted on reddit w/ no photo (so, daily salt allowance here), that they received a True Romance (finally?!) postcard in their UK UHD copy of Tremors - so possibly the "TUHD" listed for June in the above 'page of clues'.

dwk

#1624 Post by dwk » Mon Dec 28, 2020 11:45 am

Maybe, maybe not. As far as I can tell, Arrow hasn't given any Morgan Creek title a new transfer and people also have reported getting a card for the El Duce Tapes with 4K back. So I dont think you can assume that 4K back = UHD release.

tenia
Ask Me About My Bassoon

#1625 Post by tenia » Mon Dec 28, 2020 1:09 pm

It could very simply be the current design for all Arrow postcards now that they're doing UHDs.