196 Hiroshima mon amour

Discuss releases by Criterion and the films on them. Threads may contain spoilers!
Michael

196 Hiroshima mon amour

#1 Post by Michael » Thu Nov 04, 2004 2:19 pm

Hiroshima mon amour

Image Image

A cornerstone of the French New Wave, the first feature from Alain Resnais is one of the most influential films of all time. A French actress (Emmanuelle Riva) and a Japanese architect (Eiji Okada) engage in a brief, intense affair in postwar Hiroshima, their consuming mutual fascination impelling them to exorcise their own scarred memories of love and suffering. With an innovative flashback structure and an Academy Award–nominated screenplay by novelist Marguerite Duras, Hiroshima mon amour is a moody masterwork that delicately weaves past and present, personal pain and public anguish.

SPECIAL FEATURES

• New 4K digital restoration, with uncompressed monaural soundtrack on the Blu-ray
• Audio commentary by film historian Peter Cowie
• Interviews with director Alain Resnais from 1961 and 1980
• Interviews with actor Emmanuelle Riva from 1959 and 2003
• New interview with film scholar François Thomas, author of L'atelier d'Alain Resnais
• New interview with music scholar Tim Page about the film's score
Revoir Hiroshima..., a 2013 program about the film's restoration
• New English subtitle translation
• PLUS: An essay by critic Kent Jones and excerpts from a 1959 Cahiers du cinéma roundtable discussion about the film

Criterionforum.org user rating averages

Feature currently disabled

J M Powell

#2 Post by J M Powell » Thu Nov 04, 2004 2:28 pm

Michael wrote:A very deeply moving, lyrical and compelling film. Watching Hiroshima Mon Amour last night, I was knocked out by its complexity, evocative power and resonance. How could this film be made in the late 50s with its so insanely contemporary style which is still very effective today?

Still trying to figure out the intention of Resnais/Duras' story telling (so gorgeously literary - almost like Wings of Desire). Why does the film surround the woman so much instead of balancing it out - the supposedly love story - with the Japanese guy? Is the Japanese guy or even the city itself - Hiroshima - being used as a tool to study the woman's character further?

One viewing is definitely not enough. I plan to watch it repeatedly. A very compelling look at the nature of memory and love and the scars of every kind caused by wars.

What do you think of Hiroshima Mon Amour?
Pauline Kael condemns the film for using faked (staged) shots of nuclear carnage mixed in among the genuine (unstaged) shots in the film's prologue sequence. (She claims the faked footage is actually culled from another fictional film; I don't have the review in front of me so I can't say which film.) While the allegation she makes, if true, for me does nothing to lessen the aesthetic value or truth value of "Hiroshima mon amour" (and seems to be predicated on a notion of "documentary=reality vs. fiction-feature=unreality" that few learned observers today would support), I admit I'm curious to know if what she says is true or not. Do y'all know?

Michael

#3 Post by Michael » Thu Nov 04, 2004 3:12 pm

Well, I could be mistaken but a few scenes during the very stunning sequence looked very familiar... the ones with the children crawling around came from the film called The Children of Hiroshima I think.

Narshty

#4 Post by Narshty » Thu Nov 04, 2004 4:17 pm

Yeah, there's no way a documentary crew would have had time to set up an elaborate tracking shot like that.

Michael

#5 Post by Michael » Thu Nov 04, 2004 5:22 pm

Do you think Hiroshima Mon Amour would improve if it shares BOTH perspectives of the two lovers?

Andre Jurieu

#6 Post by Andre Jurieu » Thu Nov 04, 2004 6:29 pm

Michael wrote:Do you think Hiroshima Mon Amour would improve if it shares BOTH perspectives of the two lovers?
I always welcome broader perspectives to issues such as war and appreciate films that are inclusive of all the cultures affected by war. However, answering this question is difficult because how are we to really say what Resnais's version of the Japanese perspective would be. Of course it could be better, but it also may be misguided.

It is important to try and understand the Japanese perspective of WWII, but is it also necessary to understand what Resnais is trying to accomplish in Hiroshima Mon Amour as it exists at present. By focusing solely on the perspective of a French Woman, who becomes involved with a German soldier during the war, and now a Japanese man, after the war has concluded in a most brutal fashion, Resnais is concentrating on what he knows best - the French perspective. That focus is important, IMO, because it forces us to realize war is essentially a specific conflict that becomes uncontrollable, and in the end effects distant parties. Resnais choice not to dive into the Japanese perspective makes the Japanese character that much more distant to the audience. I think that's the point. The film's narrative concerns a French woman's decision to sympathize with a German, which is a European relationship. The lovers represent their respective countries, and the town turning on the woman is a representation of the conflict within France itself. The fallout of this relationship is the devastation in Japan. What started as a European conflict originally, now ends in the destruction of a foreign nation. The perspective of the Japanese male must remain foreign, because Japan is so far removed from France, and that distance represents the myopic nature of the European conflict. Did anyone in Europe realize when they began the war that it would end by leaving Japan in trauma? I doubt it. Such is the nature of those who decide upon war in a far off land - they rarely worry about the perspective and values held by the other nations since they are so far removed. People are able to support wars in distant countries because the final consequences of their decisions do not resonate immediately. The French woman's decision to engage in such a personal affair indirectly affected the fate of Hiroshima. If we examine the perspective of the Japanese lover, while definitely interesting and probably more emotionally powerful, it would make the French Woman's decision appear more of a personal attack on his life, which it wasn't. The film is more effective in contrasting the personal relationship with global dynamic/consequences. Their relationship is temporary, as a means to heal one another from the effects of war. While there is an intimacy in their physical contact, they remain distant in their emotional connection. It would be interesting if the film displayed the perspective of the Japanese man, but he must remain distant because Japan was merely a distant land to France.

Sorry to ramble. This wasn't a very well reasoned argument.
Last edited by Andre Jurieu on Thu Nov 04, 2004 6:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ben d banana

#7 Post by ben d banana » Thu Nov 04, 2004 6:53 pm

i'll argue, but only with this point...
Andre Jurieu wrote:Sorry to ramble. This wasn't a very well reasoned argument.

Michael

#8 Post by Michael » Thu Nov 04, 2004 7:13 pm

Sorry to ramble. This wasn't a very well reasoned argument.
Are you kidding?!?! Andre, you never fail to enlighten me with so many new things every time I read your post, argument, opinion, whatever...

At first, I thought it was kind of odd that the film taking place in Hiroshima insisted on keeping the main Japanese character distant (minus his perspective that is). But now I can perfectly see what you mean, Andre. What you just wrote helped me solidify my newfound passion for Hiroshima Mon Amour. Thank you.

Oedipax

#9 Post by Oedipax » Thu Nov 04, 2004 10:08 pm

I thought it was quite deliberate (and obvious) that Resnais mixed documentary footage with filmed representations. One of the main refrains of the opening montage is the man telling the woman, who insists she was there, that she has seen nothing. She has no access to the event, and this is further reinforced by the victims in the hospital who turn away from her. He continually insists that she knows nothing of Hiroshima, and finally she concludes that he is destroying her; he is good for her. He has dismantled her previous claims to any sort of knowledge of the event or history.

who is bobby dylan

#10 Post by who is bobby dylan » Fri Nov 05, 2004 11:20 pm

If memory serves me well, Kael's objection is not to mixing the footage, but to the fact that she felt we were supposed to accept the fake footage as being real, when it is clearly fake. Whether this was Resnais intent I cannot say.

GringoTex

#11 Post by GringoTex » Sat Nov 06, 2004 7:33 am

who is bobby dylan wrote:If memory serves me well, Kael's objection is not to mixing the footage, but to the fact that she felt we were supposed to accept the fake footage as being real, when it is clearly fake. Whether this was Resnais intent I cannot say.
Typically warped Kael logic. Show up ro review a feature film and complain about staged shots. While a wonderful writer, she never quite got the difference between reality and the representation of reality.

feihong

#12 Post by feihong » Sat Nov 06, 2004 10:28 pm

The commentary on the Criterion disc puts this issue to rest. Yes, the footage is quite deliberately taken from a number of Japanese films following the war. It was very conscious on Resnais' part--he wanted that footage in there, along with the genuine documentary footage he'd shot at the Hiroshima hospitals. I forget why, exactly, but I remember it being explained in the commentary. Got to review that part with the commentary.

Jun-Dai
監督

#13 Post by Jun-Dai » Wed Apr 13, 2005 3:32 am

A curious comment in another thread struck me as an interesting topic for discussion:
Frank Booth wrote:Not to be a stickler (well, maybe to be a stickler), but Resnais is not New Wave. He just happened to be French, make weird-ish movies and come out at the same time as the New Wave directors. He's more of the international art cinema movement a la Bresson and Bergman.
I'd always heard of Resnais as being a French New Wave director, though certainly his sensibilities are markedly different from any of the other French New Wave directors (granted, they are all pretty different from each other). I'm curious: how would one define the French New Wave in such a way as to exclude Resnais?

Costas

#14 Post by Costas » Wed Apr 13, 2005 5:37 am

This whole discussion hinges on how you define the New Wave. Off the top of my head, I can think of two main reasons why it could be argued that he wasn't part of the New Wave:

1. To some, the very term 'New Wave' implies that the protagonists were unestablished as filmmakers as such. Resnais was making films from the mid-40s and so couldn't really be considered 'new' when the others in the movement started making films towards the late 50s; and

2. He never wrote for Cahiers and was never really part of that whole scene that is irrefutably linked with the movement. Resnais was never one of the 'young brats' like Truffaut, Godard, Chabrol et al. that formed the backbone of it.

Despite both these points, I've always considered him part of the New Wave purely because of the time and the place where he was making films such as 'Hiroshima', 'Marienbad' and 'Muriel', all of which I would consider very 'new' thematically and in their approach to film narrative.

cafeman

#15 Post by cafeman » Wed Apr 13, 2005 6:59 am

I most decidedly do not consider Resnais New Wave.

Furthermore, I don`t understand what New Wave really is. You can`t find anything in NV movies that wasn`t being done by Resnais, Melville, Varda and many others way before.

Looking at the sate of French cinema pre-Godard and co., what exactly was it they were rebeling about? The period before NV seems to be the golden age of French cinema to me.

GringoTex

#16 Post by GringoTex » Wed Apr 13, 2005 9:48 am

cafeman wrote:
Furthermore, I don`t understand what New Wave really is. You can`t find anything in NV movies that wasn`t being done by Resnais, Melville, Varda and many others way before.
Mellville was certainly a precursor to the NV with his independent means of production and love of American cinema, but he was still essentially a classical filmmaker. Just like Chabrol. But Godard, Truffaut, and Rivette broke new ground.

Resnais and Varda were making documentary shorts up until the time the NV started.
cafeman wrote: Looking at the sate of French cinema pre-Godard and co., what exactly was it they were rebeling about? The period before NV seems to be the golden age of French cinema to me.
They were rebelling against the French studio system- not Bresson, Renoir, Mellville, Tati or Becker. It's very well outlined in Truffaut's Cahiers article "A Certain Tendency of the French Cinema." They were rebelling against the likes of Carne, Autant-Lara, Clouzot, etc.

backstreetsbackalright

#17 Post by backstreetsbackalright » Wed Apr 13, 2005 12:58 pm

Langlois68 wrote: Resnais and Varda were making documentary shorts up until the time the NV started.
Varda snapped off the New Wave-y La Pointe Courte in 1955. Some consider this film the unsung debut of the Nouvelle Vague.

zedz

#18 Post by zedz » Wed Apr 13, 2005 6:04 pm

I find the restrictive definition of the New Wave as the Cahiers club and nobody else way too cliquey. Resnais' background in documentary is something of a red herring, as he was just as new to feature filmmaking in 1959 as Godard or Truffaut, and they had also been making short films throughout the fifties.

The Cahiers / Left Bank distinction is a useful one, however, in that there seems to me to be an interesting distinction between the two groups, the latter being more overtly political, more engaged with incorporating documentary techniques and tropes into their features, and, on the whole, more formally adventurous. The Cahiers group, on the other hand, were infected by a love for cinema (American genre cinema, especially) and their work is where you find that breezy self-reflexivity that has come to characterise the whole movement. Whereas Left Bank films like Hiroshima, mon amour and La Jetee are pretty much sui generis.

pzman84

#19 Post by pzman84 » Mon Apr 18, 2005 6:59 pm

I think the major difference between Resnais and the Truffaut/Godard crowd is their style. For example, Truffaut and Godard were disciples of Bazin and their work was clearly influenced by his teachings. However, Resnais was clearly influenced by Eisenstein and Griffith (he watched Intolerance several times before he made Hiroshima, mon amour) With that being said, I still feel that Resnais was part of the New Wave crowd. Most scholars say the three films that started the New Wave were Breathless, The 400 Blows, and Hiroshima mon amour. Also, there is a lot of ambiguity in what was the New Wave. Did it begin with the films mentioned above of with Roger Vadim's ...And God Created Woman? And when did it end?

sevenarts

#20 Post by sevenarts » Wed Mar 14, 2007 10:00 pm

who is bobby dylan wrote:If memory serves me well, Kael's objection is not to mixing the footage, but to the fact that she felt we were supposed to accept the fake footage as being real, when it is clearly fake. Whether this was Resnais intent I cannot say.
Not to dredge up an old debate, but I just watched this tonight, and not only is it obvious that Resnais intended to incorporate staged footage in the opening, but it's explicitly mentioned in the woman's monologue. That whole opening is about the (im)possibility of understanding from a distance, and the distancing of stagings and recreations is one aspect of that -- again, explicitly mentioned in voiceover. But this opening also makes the point that even documentary cannot really facilitate true understanding -- this woman, like all of us, is trapped by her own perspective, and any efforts to achieve an alternate perspective will necessarily fall ludicrously short of incomplete. Which is not to say that Resnais is advocating in this film that we not make the attempt -- merely that we understand just how limited our capacity for understanding other perspectives really is.

Anyway, what a phenomenal film. After the remarkable first 15 minutes, which really feels like a continuation of Night & Fog, the rest of the film subsumes its dialogue on Hiroshima and war to a secondary level, where the aftermath of the war exists primarily as metaphor within the love story. Actually, there are two love stories here, one told in flashback, and both exploring the nature of love, of relationships between nations, and the personalization of history to the level of individual lives. For this woman, World War II was not the Holocaust or the atom bomb or the battles fought throughout Europe -- it was simply a love affair that ended with bloodshed and madness. At the same time, if the war indirectly ended one affair for her, it also brought her a second one.

Resnais' film encompasses a wealth of ideas, though it's all done very poetically and elliptically, so that it also hits very hard on an emotional level. It's about the horrors of the nuclear age, and the ways in which political animosities are refracted in individuals, and the difficulty of understanding the effects of political forces on the international level. And it's also, despite its complexities, incredibly anti-polemical, except perhaps on the subject of atomic weapons (and if you can't be polemical about that...). Eric Rohmer says, in the Cahiers roundtable, that this is "a film about which you can say everything," and this seems very true of this complex, enigmatic film. Really a masterpiece.

kevyip1

#21 Post by kevyip1 » Sun Mar 18, 2007 8:10 pm

Regarding the peculiar East-West perspectives in the film as discussed earlier, I would attribute this less to Alain Resnais and more to Marguerite Duras, who was raised in the Orient and, by her own admission, had a love affair with an Oriental man in her teenage years in which she experienced racial and cultural obstacles and emotional turmoil. It's apparent that Duras drew much from her own life's experience while writing "Hiroshima, Mon Amour", and again "The Lover". In both instances, the emphasis is on the Western woman's emotional landscape. The Asian lover, originating from Duras' distant and troubled past, is understandably depicted as less of a fully-realized character, but a mysterious, inscrutable, even threatening entity which the female protagonist feels apprehensive about. Even though the Japanese man in "Hiroshima, Mon Amour" speaks French, has been to France, and seems pretty Westernized, the film still manages to inject this "otherness" into his character because that is apparently how the female character (and Duras) feels about him.

Of course, in films about Asian-Caucasian interracial love, the Asian man or woman is almost always depicted as the "mysterious other" as opposed to the Western male or female perspective that is depicted as the norm -- from "The Toll of the Sea", "Broken Blossoms", "The Bitter Tea of General Yen", to recent flicks like "The Ginger Tree", "The Lover", "Japanese Story", "Anna and the King".

The upcoming Ken Watanabe-Kate Winslet interracial flick "A Dream of Red Mansions" will probably be more of the same.

"Crimson Kimono", the forgotten 1959 Sam Fuller classic, is about the only Western-made interracial love film I can think of that focuses primarily on the feelings of the Asian (in this case, male) character, and it does so in a way that resonates with Western viewers, without injecting any hint of inscrutableness into him. But then again, his character is a born and raised American.

Noiretirc

Re:

#22 Post by Noiretirc » Tue Mar 31, 2009 1:31 am

Michael wrote:Do you think Hiroshima Mon Amour would improve if it shares BOTH perspectives of the two lovers?
I kept waiting for this shared perspective, (not having researched anything about the actual plot beforehand) and I was mildly surprised that it did not come. (Almost as surprised at the brevity of this thread for this monumental film, ha!). But maybe he was saving it for Part Deux: Le Sequel. Kidding. Andre makes a compelling case for this exclusion, and sevenarts perfectly echoes my feelings about this film. This was my first experience with Resnais, and I'm blown away. Every second of the film looks perfectly framed and stunning. The buildings, ruins and countryside, so softly lensed in the Never flashbacks, create an atmosphere so emotionally devastating. I know nothing of Riva except for this film, and she haunts me: That face, those eyes, that walk... She really is very beautiful, and believeable. ie This film seems so "real" to me. We've all experienced some level of loss and suffering, and if this film doesn't rattle those particular nerves for you, then you must be dead.

dadaistnun

Re: 196 Hiroshima mon amour

#23 Post by dadaistnun » Wed Apr 29, 2009 9:49 am

There's a new book out in France about the film's production. Everyone's favorite JLG biographer writes briefly about it here.

ShellOilJunior

#24 Post by ShellOilJunior » Tue Apr 30, 2013 2:29 pm

A restored print has been announced as part of the Cannes Classics line-up.

Time to start beating the drum for a blu-ray. Long overdue!

bainbridgezu

#25 Post by bainbridgezu » Wed Jul 31, 2013 12:47 pm

ShellOilJunior wrote:A restored print has been announced as part of the Cannes Classics line-up.

Time to start beating the drum for a blu-ray. Long overdue!
French blu-ray from the 4k restoration on November 19, 2013. I expect Criterion's own upgrade won't be too far behind.