Western Classics (Rawhide, The Gunfighter, Garden of Evil)

Discuss North American DVDs and Blu-rays or other DVD and Blu-ray-related topics.
Jeff

Western Classics (Rawhide, The Gunfighter, Garden of Evil)

#1 Post by Jeff » Sat Feb 16, 2008 6:31 pm

DVD Savant wrote:Fox will release a Fox Classics triple bill of Rawhide, The Gunfighter and the much-desired Garden of Evil, with its Bernard Herrmann score.
Last edited by Jeff on Sun May 04, 2008 1:14 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Cinephrenic

#2 Post by Cinephrenic » Sat Feb 16, 2008 6:35 pm

Finally, The Gunfighter.

OliverB

#3 Post by OliverB » Sun Feb 17, 2008 8:54 am

I want to see the Peckinpah scripted 'End Of A Gun' with Richard Conte tacked onto The Gunfighter release as a bonus.

Jeff

#4 Post by Jeff » Sun Feb 17, 2008 1:36 pm

DVD Empire has these up for preorder. It looks like all three are box set exclusives in a ridiculously low-priced "Western Classics" collection.
OliverB wrote:I want to see the Peckinpah scripted 'End Of A Gun' with Richard Conte tacked onto The Gunfighter release as a bonus.
That would certainly make a lot of sense, but as much as I would like it, I doubt that it will happen. I wonder why hasn't Fox ever used episodes of The 20th Century Fox Hour as bonus material before?

Many of the episodes are 45-minute retreads of old Fox movies. I would imagine that the vast majority don't work particularly well, which is why they would best be presented as supplemental curios. Plenty of upcoming writers, directors, and actors cut their teeth on these anthology series.
Last edited by Jeff on Sun May 04, 2008 1:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

OliverB

#5 Post by OliverB » Mon Feb 18, 2008 8:07 pm

Yep, and this one was one the better adaptations!

They used to air regularly on FMC under the "Hour Of Stars" title. I wish I had recorded this episode when I had the chance. They haven't been broadcast, to my knowledge, in quite a few years now, but if memory serves, the image quality on the Fox TV package appeared to have been sourced from excellent transfers. At least the picture appeared to have been newly restored. I'm guessing they must've struck new prints for syndication at some point in the 90s. Anyways, the few episodes that I've seen (and I understand some are lost completely) looked very nice!

It would certainly make sense for Fox to include these on relative releases, as it'd surely cost less and require little effort and resources than producing new supplements. This would surely serve as the ideal DVD bonus and a great selling point for Fox!

Not sure why it hasn't happened yet... we got that horrendous TV movie from Universal with Double Indemnity. I would've loved to have seen the equivalent with the release of Laura!

The Gunfighter's been among my most wanted and yet unreleased major film classics in R1 and I'm keeping my fingers crossed for this one.

Lino
"Without obsession, life is nothing"

#6 Post by Lino » Thu Feb 28, 2008 5:22 am

Artwork for Fox Western Classics is already up, as well as full specs for all the releases.

zone_resident

#7 Post by zone_resident » Sat May 03, 2008 7:23 am

Jeff

#8 Post by Jeff » Sun May 11, 2008 4:56 pm