436 Before the Rain

Discuss releases by Criterion and the films on them. Threads may contain spoilers!
pro-bassoonist

436 Before the Rain

#1 Post by pro-bassoonist » Mon Dec 10, 2007 2:40 am

Before the Rain

[img]http://criterion_production.s3.amazonaws.com/release_images/1256/436_box_348x490_w128.jpg[/img]

The first film made in the newly independent Republic of Macedonia, Milcho Manchevski's Before the Rain crosscuts the stories of an orthodox Christian monk (Grégoire Colin), a British photo agent (Katrin Cartlidge), and a native Macedonian war photographer (Rade Šerbedžija) to paint a portrait of simmering, entrenched ethnic and religious hatred about to reach its boiling point. Made during the strife of the war-torn Balkan states in the nineties, this gripping triptych of love and violence is also a timeless evocation of the loss of pastoral innocence, and remains one of recent cinema's most poetic evocations of the futility of war.

DIRECTOR-APPROVED SPECIAL EDITION FEATURES

- New, restored high-definition digital transfer, supervised and approved by director Milcho Manchevski
- Audio commentary featuring Manchevski and film scholar Annette Insdorf
- New video interview with actor Rade Šerbedžija
- Manchevski's award-winning music video of Arrested Development's "Tennessee"
- Stills galleries of Manchevski's photographs and on-set shots
- Theatrical trailer
- New and improved English subtitle translation
- PLUS: A new essay by film scholar Ian Christie

Criterionforum.org user rating averages

Feature currently disabled

John Cope

#2 Post by John Cope » Mon Dec 10, 2007 3:01 am

I share in that satisfaction. So we're actually talking a Criterion release then?

pro-bassoonist

#3 Post by pro-bassoonist » Mon Dec 10, 2007 3:17 am

Yes, Mr. Manchevski has recorded a commentary as well.

Pro-B

John Cope

#4 Post by John Cope » Mon Dec 10, 2007 3:20 am

Excellent. This has been long in coming.

Buttery Jeb
Just in it for the game.

#5 Post by Buttery Jeb » Fri Feb 22, 2008 1:34 pm

Out of curiosity, did anyone manage to keep a copy of the "Before the Rain" specs from yesterday?

-BJ

eez28

#6 Post by eez28 » Fri Feb 22, 2008 1:57 pm

Buttery Jeb wrote:Out of curiosity, did anyone manage to keep a copy of the "Before the Rain" specs from yesterday?
I was about to PM you that question, I though you had it but voluntarily removed it

Buttery Jeb
Just in it for the game.

#7 Post by Buttery Jeb » Fri Feb 22, 2008 2:11 pm

eez28 wrote:I was about to PM you that question, I though you had it but voluntarily removed it
Nope. I just edited my posting to show that Criterion had removed it from the site. One of the mods must have taken down the info. I forgot we already had a "Before the Rain" topic already opened in the Rumor section, so I didn't think to add it here as well.

EDIT: Managed to find it, via Google Cache:
Synopsis
The first film made in the newly independent Republic of Macedonia, Milcho Manchevski’s Before the Rain crosscuts the stories of an orthodox Christian monk (Grégoire Colin), a British photo agent (Katrin Cartlidge), and a native Macedonian war photographer (Rade Šerbedžija) to paint a portrait of simmering, entrenched ethnic and religious hatred about to reach its boiling point. Made during the strife of the war-torn Balkan states in the nineties, this gripping triptych of tales of love and violence is also a timeless evocation of the loss of pastoral innocence and remains one of recent cinema’s most poetic evocations of the futility of war.

Special Features
- DIRECTOR-APPROVED SPECIAL EDITION FEATURES
- New, restored high-definition digital transfer, supervised and approved by director Milcho Manchevski
- Audio commentary featuring Manchevski and film scholar Annette Insdorf
- New video interview with actor Rade Šerbedžija
- Deleted scenes
- Manchevski's award-winning music video of Arrested Development's "Tennessee"
- Stills galleries of Manchevski's photographs and on-set shots
- Theatrical trailer
- Electronic press kit
- New and improved English subtitle translation
- PLUS: A new essay by film scholar Ian Christie
-BJ

pro-bassoonist

#8 Post by pro-bassoonist » Mon Feb 25, 2008 4:37 pm

Great, great...when this film finally gets released it will be the end of a very, very long personal odyssey for me.

Ciao,
Pro-B

badlieut

#9 Post by badlieut » Mon Feb 25, 2008 11:41 pm

Just a note, I heard back on an email immediately on Friday that it will most likely come out in June now if "all goes well." I didn't hear what the hold up was on the release.

Like Pro-B, I take a lot of personal ownership in this release. I even got a nice little "thank you" from Milcho for pushing him and getting him to make the call to Criterion. I hope everyone goes out and picks it up especially if you've never seen it. Two huge fans had a big part in getting the film released and that, to me, is something special.

Antoine Doinel

#10 Post by Antoine Doinel » Tue Feb 26, 2008 9:49 am

If I were to take a wild guess, I would imagine clearing the rights for the music video may be holding up the release. It's a great video, and I hope they sort it out and it can be included in the set.

pro-bassoonist

#11 Post by pro-bassoonist » Thu Feb 28, 2008 2:13 am

badlieut wrote:I hope everyone goes out and picks it up especially if you've never seen it. Two huge fans had a big part in getting the film released and that, to me, is something special.
Actually, ALL of the credit goes to you. Your passion and effort(s) are the reason why Before the Rain is where it is.
=D>

a.khan

#12 Post by a.khan » Thu Feb 28, 2008 4:20 am

Could you guys call Fincher to push "The Game"? Thanks.

badlieut

#13 Post by badlieut » Thu Feb 28, 2008 10:32 am

pro-bassoonist wrote:Actually, ALL of the credit goes to you. Your passion and effort(s) are the reason why Before the Rain is where it is.
Thanks Pro-B...I appreciate it but you motivated me as well. Having a partner in the effort helps. :D

jaredsap

#14 Post by jaredsap » Thu Feb 28, 2008 1:11 pm

a.khan wrote:Could you guys call Fincher to push "The Game"? Thanks.
I find it tough to believe Fincher is what's preventing the release. From a 12/31/07 interview:
David Fincher wrote:We love Peter Becker and all of the stuff he has done. He’s an amazing guy... [Criterion] still are the benchmark.
And Turell said less than a year ago that Criterion will "keep trying" to secure THE GAME. Obviously the problem is Universal hadn't budged yet.

a.khan

#15 Post by a.khan » Thu Feb 28, 2008 2:53 pm

Sir, the tongue was firmly in cheek.

arsonfilms

#16 Post by arsonfilms » Thu Feb 28, 2008 3:47 pm

a.khan wrote:Sir, the tongue was firmly in cheek.
Oh. I got halfway through dialing Fincher at home before I realized this. Yeesh, that would have been embarrassing.

Is anyone else seeing ads for Macedonian ring tones at the bottom of this thread or is it me?

davebert

#17 Post by davebert » Thu Feb 28, 2008 4:52 pm

I'm getting an ad for Rod Serling's Night Gallery. But I'd love to hear what Macedonian ringtones sound like...

pro-bassoonist

#18 Post by pro-bassoonist » Fri Feb 29, 2008 2:59 am

The soundtrack & The old cover

I do not wish to sound snobbish but given most recent events in Macedonia, and the fact that this release is finally a reality, I very much hope that people pay very close attention to this film. It's release could not have been timelier.

Ciao,
Pro-B
Last edited by pro-bassoonist on Sat Mar 15, 2008 2:31 am, edited 2 times in total.

What A Disgrace

#19 Post by What A Disgrace » Mon May 19, 2008 7:54 am

Finalzed specs:

* - DIRECTOR-APPROVED SPECIAL EDITION FEATURES
* - New, restored high-definition digital transfer, supervised and approved by director Milcho Manchevski
* - Audio commentary featuring Manchevski and film scholar Annette Insdorf
* - New video interview with actor Rade Šerbedžija
* - Behind the Scenes in Macedonia, a short 1993 documentary about the making of Before the Rain
* - Soundtrack selections, featuring the music of Macedonian band Anastasia
* - On-set footage, theatrical trailers, and stills galleries of production photos, storyboards, and letters
* - A selection from Manchevski's photography collection Street
* - Manchevski's award-winning "Tennessee" music video
* - New and improved English subtitle translation
* - PLUS: A new essay by film scholar Ian Christie

badlieut

#20 Post by badlieut » Wed May 21, 2008 12:21 pm

Thanks for those specs. They look really nice and I'm pumped about getting this in a month. Milcho is very excited about this DVD too. Hopefully, it goes to blu-ray eventually.

Timec
Spencer Tracy had it coming

#21 Post by Timec » Sat Jun 07, 2008 7:24 pm

pro-bassoonist

#22 Post by pro-bassoonist » Sun Jun 08, 2008 2:55 am

Outstanding. It looks to be the disc we all wanted it to be. =D>

Pro-B

Cronenfly

#23 Post by Cronenfly » Sun Jun 08, 2008 1:51 pm

In case anyone is curious (as I was) about the exact two films Gary alludes to Manchevski leaving/getting fired from, they are (according to IMDB) Three Kings and Ravenous.

And it does look like a fine disc. Saw the VHS when this was announced and was very impressed. It struck me as the kind of film Babel could have been if that film had been a success.

cdnchris
Site Admin

#24 Post by cdnchris » Fri Jun 13, 2008 2:46 am

I really hope you guys don't stick me in the "Rediculous" thread...

der_Artur

#25 Post by der_Artur » Fri Jun 13, 2008 6:30 am

I had no Idea we have reviews now, too. Unfortunately I receive a 404 when trying to access the page.