To Catch a Thief - Special Collector's Edition

Discuss North American DVDs and Blu-rays or other DVD and Blu-ray-related topics.
Ashirg

#1 Post by Ashirg » Sat Jan 27, 2007 4:32 am

Fuck Paramount. They are releasing another version of To Catch a Thief on May 8 instead of any other classic film from their library, like Ace in the Hole. At least they are not calling it "A leg or a breast Edition".

marty

#2 Post by marty » Sat Jan 27, 2007 4:38 am

I mistakenly purchased this DVD never having seen it before. This must be Hitchcock's worst film, by far. I think it was just an excuse for a holiday down to the South of France.

godardslave
Happy-Fun Sunshine Minion of Intolerance

#3 Post by godardslave » Sat Jan 27, 2007 7:20 am

However, Grace Kelly is so beautiful it doesnt matter how bad the film is.

Antoine Doinel

#4 Post by Antoine Doinel » Sat Jan 27, 2007 10:39 am

marty wrote:I mistakenly purchased this DVD never having seen it before. This must be Hitchcock's worst film, by far. I think it was just an excuse for a holiday down to the South of France.
I concur. I bought it in a dump bin at WalMart for $5. Grace Kelly might be nice to look at but whatever tanning solution Grant is wearing is appalling.

denti alligator

#5 Post by denti alligator » Sat Jan 27, 2007 12:37 pm

Yes, sadly one of Hitch's worst. I own just about every Hitch film on DVD, but not this one. And some "special edition" isn't going to change my mind. Grace Kelly ... I don't know. She's no Ingrid Bergman.

Via_Chicago

#6 Post by Via_Chicago » Sat Jan 27, 2007 4:25 pm

I enjoy this film only insofar as it features Cary Grant. Otherwise, it's one of Hitchcock's least suspensful, least romantic, and least interesting films, but I always enjoy watching Cary do his thing.

I agree with the general consensus though, this film did not need a "special edition."

Antoine Doinel

#7 Post by Antoine Doinel » Sat Jan 27, 2007 4:31 pm

My gut tells me this is nothing more than Paramount repackaging the current edition which already has a decent amount of featurettes and the film's trailer.

Harvey Domino

#8 Post by Harvey Domino » Sat Jan 27, 2007 4:46 pm

You guys are crazy! I love this film -- no, it's not suspenseful or romantic, etc. but I think it's really charming, and quite funny. I can think of at least 15 Hitchcock films that I like less... but then my favorite Hitch has always been The Trouble With Harry, so my opinion may not be considered valid.

Poncho Punch

#9 Post by Poncho Punch » Sun Jan 28, 2007 6:07 am

I really like the film, as well. I don't think it's one of Hitchcock's best films, but I think it's a nice departure for him. Also, pairing it with John Woo's Once A Thief really highlights the similarities between Cary Grant and Chow Yun-Fat.

Joe Buck

#10 Post by Joe Buck » Mon Jan 29, 2007 12:30 pm

Has this been restored? Because the last release looked wretched!

manicsounds

#11 Post by manicsounds » Thu Mar 22, 2007 6:36 am

Anamorphic Widescreen Presentation, digitally restored
English DD2.0 Stereo
Commentary by Peter Bogdanovich and Laurent Bouzereau
Theatrical Trailer
Writing and Casting ‘To Catch A Thief'
Alfred Hitchcock and ‘To Catch A Thief': An Appreciation
Edith Head: The Paramount Years

thats it.....

evillights

#12 Post by evillights » Thu Mar 22, 2007 10:49 am

'To Catch a Thief' may not be in the absolutely top tier of Hitchcock, but it's still an absolutely brilliant film. Some thoughts I wrote recently on my blog-thing:

==

A tourist vision of France, "movie France," because 'To Catch a Thief' (1955) is what it looks like when Alfred Hitchcock goes on vacation. After all, shooting in Europe, you get to "write off" your expenses.

If this is taking a break, then once upon a time Monsieur Hulot really did tear the cosmos in two.

One page of the account-book reads: John Robie (Cary Grant): "former cat burglar of Paris before the war" > The New York Herald Tribune = Art ("And I'm Dead") Buchwald <= Gina Lollobrigida.

"Parles anglais!" (barks the dubbed Charles Vanel) —

Danielle (Brigitte Auber) works for her father. Her rival, "Frances" (aren't they all! / Grace Kelly) works for her mother, as a sexual proxy. She screams to Cary Grant (shortly after the fireworks burst in one of Hitch's best scenes) — "You stole mother's jewels!" For Grant, Kelly's sex is a mystery (see the shadow-cowl'd face while the ice around her neck glistens); he is the Celibate, the Thief who steals the jewels for no effective gain, generative or psychosexual. He is "apart," alone. He takes to the roofs (so adeptly), he squats in the chimney-crannies, this American who moved to France, who became a thief, who became a Resistance fighter (for the sake of his own freedom, consequently, as much as the country's), who became a vintner and a flower-harvester... all while playing the bon français with such sartorial panache.

"Slap!" — To watch the funeral scene is to peer into the core of the 'To Catch a Thief'-mechanism: a Hitch-wound* biography of the man who went by "Cary Grant."

* 'Rear Window' (1954) — See A.H. at the mantle in the composer's apartment.

ByMarkClark.com

#13 Post by ByMarkClark.com » Thu Mar 22, 2007 12:25 pm

I, too, enjoy the uncommonly bright, relatively lightweight TO CATCH A THIEF. It's the Hitchcock equivalent of a beachside paperback. Hardly the director's best work, but a perfectly enjoyable confection.

Joe Buck

#14 Post by Joe Buck » Fri Mar 23, 2007 12:21 pm

manicsounds wrote:Anamorphic Widescreen Presentation, digitally restored
English DD2.0 Stereo
Commentary by Peter Bogdanovich and Laurent Bouzereau
Theatrical Trailer
Writing and Casting ‘To Catch A Thief'
Alfred Hitchcock and ‘To Catch A Thief': An Appreciation
Edith Head: The Paramount Years
Hmm...not much new, but I thought the extras on the first release were pretty good.....for Paramount. I'm waiting to see how the print looks. The last release was a disgrace. It was so wretched looking. It had no business being released on DVD like that. Let's hope that "Digitally Restored" means it will be up to snuff this time.

devlinnn
Take a chance you stupid ho

#15 Post by devlinnn » Tue Apr 17, 2007 2:38 am

A capture from the new, rather sublime, R4 edition.

Joe Buck

#16 Post by Joe Buck » Tue Apr 17, 2007 4:14 pm

That's pretty good. So this new R1 should be using this transfer right?

lord_clyde
No. 33 Killer

#17 Post by lord_clyde » Sat Apr 21, 2007 5:57 pm

Joe Buck wrote:Has this been restored? Because the last release looked wretched!
I know! Worst 5 dollars I ever dropped!

Polybius

#18 Post by Polybius » Sun Apr 22, 2007 1:49 am

manicsounds wrote:Commentary by Peter Bogdanovich
Oh, good Lord...

Glad to see some good, honest hate for this crummy excuse for a romance.
denti alligator wrote: Grace Kelly ... I don't know. She's no Ingrid Bergman.
Well put, sir.

A classic example of how a woman can be gorgeous and yet generate zero erotic appeal.

Ashirg

#19 Post by Ashirg » Wed Apr 25, 2007 10:10 pm

DVD Movie Guide:
...the visuals for the 2007 DVD presented a radically improved transfer. The 2002 disc suffered from many problems, with prominent edge enhancement and lots of source flaws standing as the most significant. The 2007 transfer looked considerably better. Honestly, it was a night and day difference, as the new disc made the old one seem unwatchable.

Highway 61

#20 Post by Highway 61 » Tue May 01, 2007 11:51 am

starmanof51

#21 Post by starmanof51 » Tue May 01, 2007 12:07 pm

Polybius wrote:
denti alligator wrote: Grace Kelly ... I don't know. She's no Ingrid Bergman.
Well put, sir.

A classic example of how a woman can be gorgeous and yet generate zero erotic appeal.
I dunno, she's generating fine from where I sit. I'd trade Ingrid and a '57 Mickey Mantle for her.

DignanSWE

Re: To Catch a Thief - Special Collector's Edition

#22 Post by DignanSWE » Fri Jan 02, 2009 7:09 am

The PAL-edition looks much better than the NTSC-edition:

NTSC (dvdbeaver)
PAL* (VLC)
(not exact frame)

*R2 -- probably the same transfer as the R4 devlinnn has posted captures from