Neo-Realist Collection: De Sica, Rossellini, Fellini

Discuss internationally-released DVDs and Blu-rays or other international DVD and Blu-ray-related topics.
jt

#1 Post by jt » Mon Dec 04, 2006 10:43 am

Details here

Contains I Vitteloni, Miracle in Milan, Bicycle Thieves, Umberto D and Rome, Open City. Can be picked up for about £27 from most online retailers.

It looks like these are the same transfers as are available on Arrow's current single disc editions (and have ok reviews on the beaver). Does anyone own any of these and can testify as to their quality?

I have been waiting to pick up some of these on CC but even without all the extras, at such a low price, this is tempting.

Awesome Welles

#2 Post by Awesome Welles » Wed May 09, 2007 6:02 am

They're pretty bad. There are some artefacts on the transfers from poor quality prints, the subtitles aren't the best in the world and some things go untranslated, I want to understand everything and given I have knowledge of basic Italian it annoys me even more when I know what is going unsubtitled.

I would say if you can afford the Criterions get them if not this set isn't too bad if you just want to see the films, even if I Vitelloni isn't Neorealism.

Tommaso

#3 Post by Tommaso » Fri Aug 10, 2007 7:58 am

I have just seen "Miracolo a Milano" in the version included in the box set (bought the disc individually while in Italy) and would also say that the transfer is a big disappointment. Contrast boosting, edge enhancement, varying sharpness and a very hissy soundtrack. That the sleeve says it's a restored version overseen by Manuel De Sica sounds like a joke to me.

Still, I'd like to know whether the Arrow Discs version is any better? It got relatively good reviews on the net, but looking at the extras it seems to be a straight port of the Italian disc.

The quality of the disc didn't stop me from enjoying the film, but please, Criterion, do something about it!! MoC seems to be out of the game as there's already a UK version available.

Tolmides

#4 Post by Tolmides » Thu Aug 28, 2008 11:55 pm

Is it as bad as all that?

I was seriously contemplating buying this collection, at least until I read some of the negatives here. I'm sure the Criterion versions would be better quality, but I haven't seen any of these films yet so I'm more reluctant on spending $30 a title.

The only individual review I couldn't find for this release was I Vitelloni, but the rest of the review vary from acceptable-good. My main concern is that the subtitles, the quality of which was raised in this topic, are good. If they are then I think I'll plump for the box set. So, is there anybody who owns the DVDs who can venture an opinion on the subtitle quality?

Cheers!

Tommaso

#5 Post by Tommaso » Fri Aug 29, 2008 6:23 am

Tolmides wrote:Is it as bad as all that?

I was seriously contemplating buying this collection, at least until I read some of the negatives here. I'm sure the Criterion versions would be better quality, but I haven't seen any of these films yet so I'm more reluctant on spending $30 a title.
Mind you, I was referring to the Italian disc of "Miracolo", not the British disc included in the Arrow Films set, which might well be better (and actually got quite good reviews). At the time I just thought it must be the same transferwise as the British disc as it has the same extras, but I may have been wrong. So you might give the British set a go; but these films are all so great and not only are CC's transfers all excellent, but the extras - which are all relevant for understanding the films - simply blow any other edition away. CC didn't release "Rome, Open City" though.

perkizitore

#6 Post by perkizitore » Fri Aug 29, 2008 6:53 am

It is sold for 18 pounds on various online retailers.Just check out www.find-dvd.co.uk

Tolmides

#7 Post by Tolmides » Fri Aug 29, 2008 11:00 am

Tommaso - mmm I'm not doubting that the Criterions would be better and would have far more extras. It's just like I'd be paying ~ $150 to get those five titles, and if I can get a good set for $50 then I'd prefer that; especially when I'm buying other titles at the same time. But there's no point in wasting $50, which is why I wanted to check that this was a solid set.

perki - I searched "Neorealism", "Neo-realism", "Neo-Realist Collection" and "Neorealist Collection" and no matches turned up. I was currently going to buy the set for £28 from Amazon UK, so if I can get it for £18 that'd be a bonus.

myrnaloyisdope

#8 Post by myrnaloyisdope » Fri Aug 29, 2008 11:04 am

Also keep in mind that Miracle in Milan, and Rome, Open City aren't in Criterion, and I'm not sure if better versions exist of either one.

RTy

Re:

#9 Post by RTy » Tue Nov 11, 2008 10:10 am

perkizitore wrote:It is sold for 18 pounds on various online retailers.
Cheapest price is £16.89 now, at SendIt.

Plus you can get 4% back from SendIt via Quidco.