Brazilian Borzage

Discuss internationally-released DVDs and Blu-rays or other international DVD and Blu-ray-related topics.
fred

#1 Post by fred » Wed Sep 20, 2006 1:25 pm

I just spotted someone selling copies of Brazilian DVDs of Frank Borzage's Smilin' Through and History is Made at Night. Does anyone know anything about these? How are the transfers? Smilin' Through has the Sidney Franklin version as a "bonus"...

Are there any more Borzages on non-R1 discs? I know that the BFI is supposed to be working on discs of the Janet Gaynor films, but Borzage is the greatest classical Hollywood director most ill-served on DVD.

fred

#2 Post by fred » Wed Sep 20, 2006 3:38 pm

Thanks for the heads up. Have you seen these particular discs, or just other discs from the same label? If they were cheaper I would blind buy Smilin' Through even so, as I think it's Borzage's greatest film. I'm not holding my breath for this to be released anywhere else. I suppose I'll have to make do with my VHS of the TCM broadcast. Alas.

david hare

#3 Post by david hare » Fri Sep 22, 2006 5:34 am

Where the fuck is Moonrise?

This is the finest coda to a great director (thru the weirdness of Republic 40s product). The lasrdisc is superb!!

TIVOLI

#4 Post by TIVOLI » Fri Dec 14, 2007 9:04 pm

Has anyone seen (and can report on) the Brazilian disc of History Is Made at Night mentioned above?