It is currently Tue Dec 12, 2017 6:12 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 170 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next
 Post subject: 44 The Red Shoes
PostPosted: Sat Feb 12, 2005 9:39 pm 

The Red Shoes

The Red Shoes, the singular fantasia from Michael Powell and Emeric Pressburger, is cinema’s quintessential backstage drama, as well as one of the most glorious Technicolor visual feasts ever concocted for the screen. Moira Shearer is a rising star ballerina romantically torn between an idealistic composer and a ruthless impresario intent on perfection. Featuring outstanding performances, blazingly beautiful cinematography by Jack Cardiff, Oscar-winning sets and music, and an unforgettable, hallucinatory central dance sequence, this beloved classic, now dazzlingly restored, stands as an enthralling tribute to the life of the artist.

DISC FEATURES

- New, restored high-definition digital transfer (with uncompressed monaural soundtrack on the Blu-ray edition)
- Audio commentary by film historian Ian Christie, featuring interviews with stars Marius Goring and Moira Shearer, cinematographer Jack Cardiff, composer Brian Easdale, and filmmaker Martin Scorsese
- Introductory restoration demonstration with Scorsese
- Profile of “The Red Shoes” (2000), a twenty-five-minute documentary
- Video interview with Thelma Schoonmaker Powell, Michael Powell’s widow
- Gallery from Scorsese’s collection of The Red Shoes memorabilia
- The “Red Shoes” Sketches, an animated film made from Hein Heckroth’s painted storyboards
- Readings by actor Jeremy Irons of excerpts from Powell and Pressburger’s novelization of The Red Shoes and the original Hans Christian Andersen fairy tale
- Theatrical trailer
- PLUS: A booklet featuring an essay by Christie

Also available on Blu-ray.

Criterionforum.org user rating averages

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2005 10:52 am 

I sat down last night to listen to the commentary (which I had never done before), and I found myself not paying much attention to the commentary because I was so enthralled by the visuals. It is a marvellous movie!

Gary over at DVD Beaver seems to prefer the R2 Carlton disc's image transfer, and I did notice lots of speckles. Does anybody else think it's worth picking up the R2 edition if I already have the Criterion? (I guess I'm so used to the perfection of Criterion's more recent releases that I'd forgotten about the speckles on some of their older discs.)

Also, does anybody know why Criterion included clips from some of the P&P movies under the filmography section but not others? Is it too much of a stretch to conclude that Criterion only included clips of movies they own the rights to? For instance, they included clips from 49th Parallel and A Canterbury Tale (both of which may get released to coincide with Powell's centenary in September), but no clips from Contraband (which was distributed here by Kino). Just curious....

(The short clip from the bizarre Boy Who Turned Yellow makes me want to see it -- perhaps as an extra to one of the upcoming Criterions.)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2005 11:57 am 

Quote:
Is it too much of a stretch to conclude that Criterion only included clips of movies they own the rights to? For instance, they included clips from 49th Parallel and A Canterbury Tale (both of which may get released to coincide with Powell's centenary in September), but no clips from Contraband (which was distributed here by Kino). Just curious....

That's right. In general that is how it works.

Gary's comments are only meant as a guideline and reflect his opinion, not the absolute fact.
I can't remember where this was last discussed, but the consensus opinion is that the Carlton is not noticeably superior, if it is any better at all.
If you own the cc, then the Carlton is only worth picking up if found cheap.

Quote:
(The short clip from the bizarre Boy Who Turned Yellow makes me want to see it -- perhaps as an extra to one of the upcoming Criterions.)

Having grown up on the delights of those children's film foundation monstrosities, I most certainly never want to see it, or its shaggy haired, polo-necked ilk ever again!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2005 4:07 pm 

The grabs of the Carlton on DVD Beaver do look a bit sharper than the CC imo. But having said that I think that the difference isn't that big. I've never felt that I missed out on anything for not owning the Carlton.

Has the Carlton gone OOP btw? I was in London a couple of weeks ago and the Carlton was nowhere to be found in any shop.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2005 4:58 pm 

I bought the R4 port of the Carlton some years ago as a comparison disc (and because it was very cheap here in Oz).

IMO the image is not superior in any way. If anything it is a little softer than Criterion and has a less red-ish tinge. The print also suffers from many of the same speckles and defects as the Criterion disc. In short much as I like the Criterion (and love the movie) I think the movie needs a complete restoration from the original three strip negs. (As does Colonel Blimp.)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2006 10:20 am 

Moira Shearer died last week. See http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/entertainment/4671424.stm

I was stunned to hear this news only just now. She was unforgetable in The Red Shoes. :(

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2006 10:26 am 

It's really sad, and I had just watched "Tales Of Hoffman" the day before.

Check out the "Passages" thread for more news of the recently departed:
http://www.criterionforum.org/forum/vie ... 1&start=85

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 09, 2006 6:00 pm 
Waster of Cinema

Gary has added captures from the new Warner France edition: CLICK HERE

Unlike their other P&P releases, the Warner France transfer looks AWFUL. Yech. I still have yet to acquire the Carlton edition and the Network edition of Narcissus. I adore these films, but double-dipping is a pain in the arse these days. Nevertheless, it will have to be done, but no doubt, as soon as I do, Criterion will announce new 2-discs or something. Damn my pessimism - again! :x

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 09, 2006 6:56 pm 

Gordon one thing about getting old (me.) You (young) can look forward to Triple Dipping. It replaces sex (or paid sex, I cant remember which.)

BTW no one has mentioned the gorgeous R1 (cheap) disc of Thief of Bagdad through all of this Powell Pressburger chatter.

I'll post some caps tonite (and a comp from the previosuly excellent now OOP R4 disc.) It is perhaps one of the closest to True Technicolor discs I've seen.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2007 12:07 pm 

Here's one good thing that came out of watching the Golden Globes last night: Martin Scorsese, as he thanked the HFPA for his award, also thanked them for generously funding the Film Foundation's current restoration of The Red Shoes. I checked the Foundation's website, and indeed the HFPA gave them $300,000 in August 2006. What I wouldn't give to see a new print of this struck from the restored negative.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2007 12:29 pm 

Matt wrote:
Here's one good thing that came out of watching the Golden Globes last night: Martin Scorsese, as he thanked the HFPA for his award, also thanked them for generously funding the Film Foundation's current restoration of The Red Shoes... What I wouldn't give to see a new print of this struck from the restored negative.

I was also thrilled to hear this news from Scorsese. I'm eager to see the results. Plus, there's also the anticipation of being able to roll my eyes at the people who inevitably complain that the color wasn't restored correctly.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2007 11:30 am 
Actually, this is old news. Still great to hear Scorsese comment on it. I wonder how long it will take to restore it properly.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2007 1:05 pm 

wouldnt it be cool if criterion launched an HD line with the new Red Shoes print?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2007 3:12 pm 
The Bastard Spawn of Hank Williams

jon wrote:
wouldnt it be cool if criterion launched an HD line with the new Red Shoes print?

Not if I had to buy a new DVD player... :lol:

Tribe

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2007 3:23 pm 

Tribe wrote:
jon wrote:

Not if I had to buy a new DVD player... :lol:

That might actually be one of the few titles that would make me buy a new player.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2007 2:14 am 

Im salivating at the thought of Red Shoes in HD. So long as the transfer is done with care and with the consultation of Jack Cardiff who's still alive, but getting older by the minute.

As this is a three strip neg title there is absolutely no reason for them to get it wrong, Andre. And there are definitive vault IB ref prints in Britain for them to refer to. Even the Criterion isn't a bad starting point, but any new restoration would certainly have much finer grain, and obviously clean up the speckles and scratches. The "problem" with the Searchers was that they had to create separation negs from the original 35mm negative exposure which had poor yellow layer and they made arbitrary judgment calls about red and blue color balance, given both the yellow layer problem and the faulty timing on the day for night scenes. I have to say having watched the HD Searchers now several times it's a knockout, and OVERALL is a dazzling piece of restoration work. But there are still problems with the cabin interiors shots for instance which seem somewhat jaundiced, compared to outdoors. But the viewing experience of the HD is in fact totally different to the Standard Def disc.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2007 4:07 pm 

Anticipation of eye-rolling... rising.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2007 6:34 am 

Well good for you toots!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2008 5:29 am 

How many prefer the Criterion to Carlton, or vice versa? Just saw this and was looking at picking it up - would be nice to get a Criterion re-issue from that recent restoration Scorsese was a part of, but not sure how sure that is, or how far off. Might pick up the Institut Lumiere boxset, so maybe I could settle for that just to have the film until a new Criterion, but the Lumiere transfer seems subpar in comparison, as people have stated.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2008 7:38 am 

I've seen both many times, and though the Carlton might look more natural with respect to skin tones, the CC's more vibrant colours are stunning and I clearly prefer it especially in the ballet scene (and with Shearer's hair in general), it's just eye-popping. Also, the CC has far more and very interesting extras. Nevertheless, I'd be happy if CC re-released the whole thing and did some of their usual debris cleaning-up routines. According to what I heard, the French disc also has a lot of speckles etc., so in that respect not a real alternative.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2008 10:54 pm 

I have the CC (DVD and laserdisc) and the Carlton, and always watch the Carlton. The CC is just for extras, as it has more damage and less definition than the Carlton.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2008 12:35 pm 

The New York Times has a nice appreciation of the film on the occasion of the 60th anniversary of its UK opening, which also seems like the perfect time to announce that the restoration announced almost two years ago is complete and that a Blu-ray release is on the way. Yeah, I won't get my hopes up.

Post subject: Re: 44 The Red Shoes
PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2009 4:02 pm 

Does this mean Criterion will be re-releasing this soon? I want to own it and am so close to just buying the current edition. Should I?

PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2009 6:46 pm 

Bloody Benten wrote:
Does this mean Criterion will be re-releasing this soon? I want to own it and am so close to just buying the current edition. Should I?

Just buy it already. Life is too short to continue living without this movie on your shelf.

PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2009 7:12 pm 

I've always pictured this as their first P&P Blu-Ray, along with a re-release of the SD.

But yes, go ahead and buy it now. Who knows how long it'll take them to get to it.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 170 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next