272 The Big Gundown

Discuss releases by Indicator and the films on them.

Moderator: MichaelB

MichaelB

272 The Big Gundown

#1 Post by MichaelB » Thu Aug 18, 2022 1:36 pm

(Sergio Sollima, 1966)
Release date: 5 December 2022
Limited Edition Blu-ray (UK premiere)

Released the same year as Sergio Leone’s The Good, the Bad and the Ugly and Sergio Corbucci’s Django, The Big Gundown (La resa di conti) is a classic spaghetti western. Directed by the great Sergio Sollima (Face to Face, Violent City) this brutal film elevated western regular Lee Van Cleef (Ride Lonesome) to his first ever starring role.

When bounty hunter Jonathan Corbett (Van Cleef) is hired to track down a Mexican peasant (Tomas Milian, in a career-defining role) who has been accused of an appalling crime, he is initially outwitted by the wily bandit. However, the relationship between the two men soon takes an unexpected turn and they team up to take on railroad baron Brockton (Walter Barnes).

With its rousing score by legendary composer Ennio Morricone, and its politically charged screenplay by Sergio Donati (Once Upon a Time in the West) and Franco Solinas (The Battle of Algiers), The Big Gundown has earned its reputation as one of the greatest and most influential Italian westerns.

This individually numbered Limited Edition includes three versions of the film – the US theatrical cut, the extended US cut, and the original 110-minute Italian version – along with a fascinating selection of new and archival extra features, a poster, and an 80-page book.

INDICATOR LIMITED EDITION 2 x BLU-RAY SPECIAL FEATURES

2K restorations
Three feature presentations: La resa dei conti (110 mins): the original Italian theatrical version, presented with both Italian and English soundtracks; the original US theatrical version (90 mins); and the extended US cut (95 mins) with scenes added for television broadcast
Original mono audio
Audio commentary with writers and film experts Barry Forshaw and Kim Newman on the Italian theatrical version (2022)
Audio commentary with film historians C Courtney Joyner and Henry Parke on the extended US cut (2013)
Spaghetti Western Memories (2012): documentary in which director Sergio Sollima and actor Tomas Milian revisit this much-heralded western
Tomas Milian: Acting on Instinct (2013): the genre-film star revisits The Big Gundown and reveals some of his acting secrets
Stephen Thrower on ‘The Big Gundown’ (2022): the author and musician on the unique qualities of Sollima’s classic
Austin Fisher on ‘The Big Gundown’ (2022): the author of Radical Frontiers in the Spaghetti Western: Politics, Violence and Popular Italian Cinema situates the film in the wider context of the genre
Isolated music & effects tracks
Original US theatrical trailers
Original Italian theatrical trailer
TV spots
Image galleries: production stills and promotional material
New and improved English subtitles for the deaf and hard-of-hearing
Limited edition exclusive 80-page book with a new essay by Italian cinema expert Roberto Curti, archival interviews with Lee Van Cleef, Tomas Milian, and Sergio Sollima, extracts from the film’s promotional materials, an examination of the work of co-screenwriter Franco Solinas, an overview of contemporary critical responses, and full film credits
Limited edition exclusive poster
UK premiere on any home video format
Limited edition of 5,000 copies

All extras subject to change

#PHILTD272
BBFC cert: 15
REGION B
EAN: 5060697922356

rapta

Re: 272 The Big Gundown

#2 Post by rapta » Thu Aug 18, 2022 2:48 pm

This is what I've been waiting for! A big bombastic Italo-Western with Lee Van Cleef front-and-center (perhaps my absolute favourite action actor), in a big box with lots of fresh extras.

Perfect, thanks Indicator and an early Merry Christmas to me. What more could you ask for? :D

therewillbeblus

#3 Post by therewillbeblus » Thu Aug 18, 2022 2:56 pm

I always get this and the other Lee Van Cleef vehicle Day of Anger mixed up, but I'm pretty sure I like both

Checking my digital copy, it seems I've only seen the shorter version though- curious about the differences with so much added time in the Italian theatrical version!

MikeFH

#4 Post by MikeFH » Thu Aug 18, 2022 4:09 pm

Love these sets with 80-page booklets and the extras. Really looking forward to “La resa dei conti”, the original Italian theatrical version with the Italian soundtrack. I envision 110 minutes of pure joy.

EddieLarkin

#5 Post by EddieLarkin » Thu Aug 18, 2022 4:12 pm

I recall preferring the Italian version, which was only offered in Italian on the Grindhouse disc. The English dub here will only be a partial one, as the exclusive Italian scenes were never dubbed for English export.

MichaelB

#6 Post by MichaelB » Tue Jan 24, 2023 7:52 am

MichaelB

#7 Post by MichaelB » Fri Feb 03, 2023 5:10 am

Final specs:

Drucker
Your Future our Drucker

#8 Post by Drucker » Tue Apr 04, 2023 11:18 am

Watching the MOC documentary on the Grand Silence disc about Spaghetti Westerns, as well as watching that film for the first time, really made me evaluate and look at the genre a different way. I hadn't been exposed to enough of the films to really understand just what many of the classics in the genre were attempting to upend, and I was mostly focused on the more violent nature of the films.

So with that said, it took me a minute to really understand where this film was going, as I can be excused for thinking halfway through the film it'd be some nonstop chase film about a really annoying bandit! But when the film really starts to turn, after the prison scene, it really started becoming one of the most interesting westerns I've seen. Lee Van Cleef, unsurprisingly, deserves a lot of the credit for the effectiveness of this film. I could feel how annoyed he was getting, as I myself shared that annoyance! After about an hour he's gone from a hunter that could never run out of energy to seeming downright fatigued. And the way Van Cleef acts out that exhaustion is really effective. Once the film reaches it's overtly political final act I was very sold, and loved how it ended.

The package from Indicator is indeed stunning. I only made it through the first article in the book, but learning that the story underpinning this film was written by the same person that wrote Salvatore Giuliano was interesting and made sense. Indicator give a variety of options in terms of cuts and audio options. I went with the somewhat annoying but honestly the only way that made sense to watch the film: Italian cut with English audio. Given that there are cuts to the Italian version where no dialogue was recorded for an English, it actually makes for a very efficient way to watch the film because you know exactly what was excised from the English cut. For most of the film the cuts seemed pretty minor to me, though there are definitely some conversations where in the Italian cut, you get an extra minute or two of conversation that is enjoyable for pacing. However there is one cut in the English version that was bonkers to me.
SpoilerShow
As Van Cleef and the son of the railroad magnate are getting ready to hunt down the bandit on foot, it sure seems that Van Cleef is getting ready to change course and aim his fire at the actual guilty party. In the Italian cut, however, he adds a line: "The Mexican is mine." If you take out that line, it seems fairly obvious where Van Cleef is going at this point, but keeping that line in actually does heighten the ambiguity a bit, and it's a shame to lose that line. There's another line at the end that gets cut as well. "You made me lose a lot of money Corbett, but less than I thought. Here, there is a bit of moralizing going on, and someone who was to benefit from corruption actually says out loud that they are better off without the money that corruption brings.

It seems like such a great example of how theatrical cuts, whether taken out of director's hands for final cut or domestic versions like this, adjust the meaning of a film. Without these two lines, you have a final shootout and then riding off into the sunset. These lines, though brief, add a dimension to the film that they'd really be missing without them,
and therefore I recommend the Italian version.