BFI: 32 Ozu Films

Discuss releases by the BFI and the films on them.

Moderator: MichaelB

bigP

Re: BFI: 32 Ozu Films

#601 Post by bigP » Mon Feb 20, 2012 1:52 pm

Ozu: The Melodrama Collection on release June 18th
Ozu: The Melodrama Collection (2 Discs)

The BFI presents three films by Japanese master director Yasujiro Ozu.

Melodrama is not a word usually associated with Ozu's quietly poetic oeuvre but his post-war Early Spring (1956) and Tokyo Twilight (1957) combine darker elements with his idiosyncratic style to create powerful dramas.

Also available for the first time on DVD in the UK is Ozu's rare silent Woman of Tokyo (1933), a tragic tale of misunderstood sacrifice. Woman of Tokyo features a newly commissioned score by Ed Hughes.

perkizitore

#602 Post by perkizitore » Mon Feb 20, 2012 2:27 pm

DVD ONLY? ](*,)

Calvin

#603 Post by Calvin » Mon Feb 20, 2012 3:00 pm

perkizitore wrote:DVD ONLY?
+1

Tokyo Twilight is my favourite post-war Ozu and judging from previous releases, the elements are in good enough shape for a Blu-Ray.

Finch

#604 Post by Finch » Mon Feb 20, 2012 3:35 pm

I'd have thought that Tokyo Twilight's elements would have merited a 1080p upgrade as well. On the plus side, no need to double-dip or sell the Eclipse set.

Cash Flagg

#605 Post by Cash Flagg » Mon Feb 20, 2012 3:43 pm

Finch wrote:On the plus side, no need to double-dip or sell the Eclipse set.
Unfortunately I sold my Eclipse sets in anticipation of Blu-ray upgrades, so looks like I'll be buying DVDs a second time.

perkizitore

#606 Post by perkizitore » Mon Feb 20, 2012 3:44 pm

After the Ozu project was announced, I sold both Eclipse sets. On the plus side, I get Woman of Tokyo!

Peacock

#607 Post by Peacock » Mon Feb 20, 2012 4:02 pm

Early Spring and Tokyo Twilight.... DVD only? Incredibly disappointing, I was convinced both would be HD and what with Criterion having put them in Eclipse there is no hope for blu-rays of these titles.... man so far seeing these Ozu films in HD has been revelatory so it's disappointing that two of the remaining four unreleased sound films with good elements aren't getting the same love as the others. If there's any way for this to be changed... well I hope it is.

Calvin

#608 Post by Calvin » Mon Feb 20, 2012 4:19 pm

We could always make a stand on Facebook and/or Twitter. Might not get anywhere but it wouldn't hurt.

perkizitore

#609 Post by perkizitore » Mon Feb 20, 2012 4:22 pm

MichaelB

#610 Post by MichaelB » Mon Feb 20, 2012 4:27 pm

perkizitore wrote:Direct your abuse here
Can I respectfully suggest that you refrain from actual abuse? At least until you find out what the story behind this release is?

perkizitore

#611 Post by perkizitore » Mon Feb 20, 2012 4:31 pm

=; I was joking, I just pointed where people can respectfully direct their comments and suggestions, abuse is never acceptable!

tenia
Ask Me About My Bassoon

#612 Post by tenia » Mon Feb 20, 2012 7:19 pm

Indeed, it is both disappointing but also surprising when you see what the Eclipse DVD looks already like.
I'm just wondering when will be the next HD release for the Ozu collection, and hope that An Autumn Afternoon wasn't the last one. I think that the biggest interest in all this was especially the HD upgrade for half the titles. Now, I'm afraid that all the remaining movies might "only" be realeased in SD.

Maybe the material was not good enough for HD, but it would be quite surprising.

perkizitore

#613 Post by perkizitore » Mon Feb 20, 2012 7:24 pm

I am afraid that sales were disappointing and that they decided to cut on costs by releasing the remaining Ozu titles on SD only. Let's hope I am mistaken :(

ellipsis7

#614 Post by ellipsis7 » Tue Feb 21, 2012 4:50 am

We know that A STORY OF FLOATING WEEDS & FLOATING WEEDS exist in HD masters for the Criterion release, pointing to a dual format BFI package for these two... I'm guessing THE END OF SUMMER may also make the cut to BR/DVD, and perhaps also RECORD OF A TENEMENT OF A TENEMENT GENTLEMAN & FLAVOUR OF GREEN TEA OVER RICE, but it probably all turns on the materials and mostly whether an HD master already exists or it is realistic and economic to make a new HD transfer...

MichaelB

#615 Post by MichaelB » Tue Feb 21, 2012 5:42 am

That's pretty much the situation as I understand it. As soon as people highlighted that these titles went to Eclipse, that dropped a pretty strong hint that HD materials simply don't exist at present - and of course the economics of this project dictates the use of off-the-shelf masters pretty much without exception.

True, the BFI did make an exception for Good Morning, because it's a major title and the Criterion master was notoriously flawed - but if no HD master currently exists for the other titles, whether or not it's possible to create one largely depends on whether Shochiku is prepared to grant access to 35mm materials. And if they're not, there's obviously nothing that the BFI can do if Shochiku and Criterion's masters are SD only (which is presumably the case).

Put it like this, the BFI's evangelical track record with regard to HD releases should really speak for itself by now - and in pretty much all other cases of surprise DVD-only releases (The Devils being a particularly good example), there's a reason for this that's beyond the BFI's control. So I'd say it's very safe indeed to assume that a similar situation is at play here.

Peacock

#616 Post by Peacock » Tue Feb 21, 2012 10:46 am

But I was under the impression that Tartan had created some HD masters which BFI had used for a couple of the releases? Making Tokyo Twilight seem a likely choice. Perhaps I'm mistaken?

I disagree though that the reason these aren't coming out in HD is beyond BFI's control... sure in the case of The Devils and some other British films that makes sense, but in this case it's presumedly down to costs rather than licensing or problematic materials. I mean why would Tokyo Twilight and Early Spring only exist in SD masters worldwide while they other films which have been released with good PQ have had Blu's?

And I suspect ellipses is probably correct about Tenement Gent and Green Tea getting an HD release as, if I remember correctly, Criterion on Facebook mentioned these as getting a release in "2012" (we'll see) in a reply to someone many months ago, so maybe BFI will wait around and use the masters for those if it's another Only Son/There was a Father kinda deal.

MichaelB

#617 Post by MichaelB » Tue Feb 21, 2012 11:17 am

Peacock wrote:But I was under the impression that Tartan had created some HD masters which BFI had used for a couple of the releases? Making Tokyo Twilight seem a likely choice. Perhaps I'm mistaken?
You must be, because if HD masters were available off the shelf, the BFI would certainly have used them.

(It's worth mentioning that there are three ex-Tartan people amongst BFI DVD Publishing's current staff - including the present head of DVD Publishing and his boss - so you can rest assured that they know what's available!)
I disagree though that the reason these aren't coming out in HD is beyond BFI's control...
If no HD masters exist already, they have to be created from scratch from film materials, which requires both the co-operation of the rightsholder and a reasonable deal to be struck over who foots the bill.

Usually when the BFI creates a brand new HD master, they have various avenues from which they can recoup that investment (and of course there's an archival remit), but this wouldn't apply to an Ozu film or indeed any Japanese title. So if it comes down to them having to meet the entire cost of an HD master, it's very possible that it may be beyond the project's budget.
I mean why would Tokyo Twilight and Early Spring only exist in SD masters worldwide while they other films which have been released with good PQ have had Blu's?
You'll have to ask Shochiku.
And I suspect ellipses is probably correct about Tenement Gent and Green Tea getting an HD release as, if I remember correctly, Criterion on Facebook mentioned these as getting a release in "2012" (we'll see) in a reply to someone many months ago, so maybe BFI will wait around and use the masters for those if it's another Only Son/There was a Father kinda deal.
My understanding is that if an HD master exists, and the quality is deemed sufficient for a 1080p release, it will get one - the example of The Only Son being a case in point, since it's arguable that the 1080p upgrade doesn't make a huge amount of difference, the slight increase in definition being offset by far more visible damage.

richard_t

#618 Post by richard_t » Tue Feb 21, 2012 11:18 am

As per Michael's earlier comment, I'm confident that the BFI must have a good reason for releasing these on DVD only and that's good enough for me.

The pre-order has gone in, I just hope Amazon drop the price again from the £22.49 they're currently asking.

Opdef

#619 Post by Opdef » Tue Feb 21, 2012 12:28 pm

It's understandable that at the moment the HD masters just don't exist for the BFI to use, and I'll happily buy any Ozu release, whether it's on Blu-ray, or DVD, as long as it's the best that's available. I'd like to think in the future though, as better elements become available, they may eventually be re-released onto Blu-ray.

Calvin

#620 Post by Calvin » Tue Feb 21, 2012 4:32 pm

BFI on Facebook: We're currently looking into the availability of better master materials, but if none exist, then there is very little we can do to improve matters.

manicsounds

#621 Post by manicsounds » Wed Feb 22, 2012 11:02 am

Remember that the Eclipse box version of "Tokyo Twilight" had its problem being the only interlaced disc, as they couldn't get a progressive scan transfer for release. Maybe BFI had the same problem here.

Paupau

#622 Post by Paupau » Mon Feb 27, 2012 6:13 pm

Received my silent comedies set, funny thing tough: in the menus, the silent or orchestrated options are switched. My question is: due to the ost credits at the start of the feature, is the sound still sincronized with the picture? Will try to check later today, just to be sure, but thanks.

Michael Kerpan
Spelling Bee Champeen

#623 Post by Michael Kerpan » Mon Feb 27, 2012 6:28 pm

It was nice seeing Where Now Are the Dreams of Youth properly subbed. And I didn't mind the accompaniment. The Rayns visual essay was pretty good. The rest of the set remains unexplored.

Paupau

#624 Post by Paupau » Mon Feb 27, 2012 6:42 pm

Tried on a different blu player and dvd player, all good. Never experienced something similar before.

ellipsis7

#625 Post by ellipsis7 » Sun Apr 01, 2012 12:05 pm