Volume 2 of this thread.

Lemdog
The Man with no Title

#2 Post by Lemdog » Fri May 13, 2005 1:14 pm

OH OH OH Me first. Bottle Rocket!

mmiesner

#3 Post by mmiesner » Fri May 13, 2005 5:37 pm

Jon Mulvaney wrote:"Dear Matt,

We have no plans for PANIC IN NEEDLE PARK at this time.

Best,
JM"
dammit

daniel p

#4 Post by daniel p » Sat May 14, 2005 2:46 am

Not speculated at all, but I wrote this to John, with the reply below:
Hi John,
Any chance of any films by Zhang Yimou (Raise the Red Lantern in particular) or any more Wong Kar Wai being released in the future by Criterion?
Regards,
Daniel
Dear Daniel,

No plans for either at the moment. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news.

Best,
JM

pzman84

#5 Post by pzman84 » Sat May 14, 2005 4:54 pm

Where are all those John Ford films that were promised? I mean, it's been over six months since they reported Cowie recorded commentary for "Young Mr. Lincoln." Also, is there a possibilty Criterion will release "Double Indemnity" on DVD? It is desperatly needed.

Derek Estes

#6 Post by Derek Estes » Tue May 17, 2005 12:13 am

pzman84 wrote:Where are all those John Ford films that were promised? I mean, it's been over six months since they reported Cowie recorded commentary for "Young Mr. Lincoln."
I know, I really can't wait. And the fact that it has been taking awhile makes me think that there is something really great in the works. I would really love Criterion to introduce some Westerns to the collection. I would have thought that Samuel Fuller's Forty Guns would have been an obvious choice, but I am thrilled that Fox is releasing it anyhow.
As far as Ford, there was a rumour that Criterion was also preparing Drums Along The Mohawk (being released by Fox in about a week), and curiosly Steamboat 'Round the Bend which sounded like an odd pairing for a boxed set. Yet I would not be suprised if a box of the Will Rogers films were released together considering how Criterion likes to release sets of films that have common link, though those films are a little unusual for the collection -a little folky for Criterion, but I won't complain. Another Fox Ford film I could see them pursueing is a film called Pilgrimage. It is hard to find, but it is highly praised by those that have seen it. I would also love if some of Ford's silent films were released. So much to wish for.

P.S. I recently asked Jon Mulvany if there was a chance any of Billy Wilder's films would make an appearance (hinting at Double Indemnity), and he said no. That may change, but I wouldn't hold my breath.

Dylan

#7 Post by Dylan » Thu May 19, 2005 2:22 am

"The Immortal Story" aired on TCM tonight with the Janus Films logo heading the film.

What A Disgrace

#8 Post by What A Disgrace » Mon May 23, 2005 11:47 pm

Dylan wrote:"The Immortal Story" aired on TCM tonight with the Janus Films logo heading the film.
With so much Orson Welles out there, begging for a release, I can't help but wonder if we'll see a boxed set of his work. It would be interesting to see how this film is handled as a stand-alone release.

Its certainly easier to guess what a Welles box would contain, as opposed to a Ford. As for the latter, I wouldn't mind getting a rather ecclectic collection of films, including The Iron Horse, Young Mr. Lincoln, Steamboat Round the Bend, some of his WWII documentaries, and Bogdanovich's Directed By John Ford.

Dr. Mabuse

#9 Post by Dr. Mabuse » Tue May 24, 2005 4:30 am

More on TCM's screening of "The Immortal Story" here:
http://www.turnerclassicmovies.com/This ... 39,00.html

King of Kong

#10 Post by King of Kong » Tue May 31, 2005 8:06 am

Ou est les August releases?

Napoleon

#11 Post by Napoleon » Tue May 31, 2005 9:35 am

Maybe cc are closing down now that they've got the spines to a nice round number?

Have we got time to spread this rumour over the whole internet before the new releases are announced?

Napoleon

#12 Post by Napoleon » Tue May 31, 2005 10:45 am

If I start this rumour over at forum.com and a few of them decide to take their own lives in a bizarre suicide pact within 30 minutes of reading it, could I be held accountable on a manslaughter charge?

Lino

#13 Post by Lino » Tue May 31, 2005 11:15 am

That was one of the funniest jokes I've ever read on this forum! :lol: Bravo!

cbernard

#14 Post by cbernard » Tue May 31, 2005 12:51 pm

Not sure if this is grounds for a proper "speculation," but I'd like to think we have Powell's Age of Consent in our future. When Thelma Schoonmaker introduced it she mentioned that it was undergoing a thorough restoration, one that would conform (as closely as we can hope) to Powell's original vision (or version, or cut, or what have you). There are already several Powell titles in the collection, even one late one sans Pressburger - Peeping Tom. No Janus logo on it - it wasn't a release print, but a restoration-in-progress print - but...I dunno, it seems like a plausible choice.

paa400

#15 Post by paa400 » Wed Jun 01, 2005 1:58 am

I think its funny that we all pretty much knew what the July releases were going to be like a month before they were announced and yet no one has a clue about August. Suprises are better anyway. Personally Im hoping for more Bresson or Ozu. I know about that August-December list that was on DVDBeaver but it was unofficial.

Jun-Dai
監督

#16 Post by Jun-Dai » Wed Jun 01, 2005 1:32 pm

Hmm. They are definitely running later than usual to get those August releases up there. This can only mean that they've stopped making DVDs. Perhaps they've moved on to doing something else. Plush toys?

Mathieu

#17 Post by Mathieu » Wed Jun 01, 2005 1:48 pm

paa400 wrote:I know about that August-December list that was on DVDBeaver but it was unofficial.
Does anyone have a copy of this list, or know where I could find one?

Cinephrenic

#18 Post by Cinephrenic » Wed Jun 01, 2005 2:03 pm

I think he is talking about the HVe release schedule list on DVDBeaver.

oldsheperd

#19 Post by oldsheperd » Wed Jun 01, 2005 2:26 pm

Plush Toys of characters form Artsy-Fartsy movies. Kind of like McFarlane for Limousine Liberal Elitists.

Mathieu

#20 Post by Mathieu » Wed Jun 01, 2005 2:39 pm

cinephrenic wrote:I think he is talking about the HVe release schedule list on DVDBeaver.
Oh, I see what you mean. Thanks for clearing things up. I'm glad HVe finally got around to releasing Fukasaku's Under the Flag of the Rising Sun. They've done such fantastic work with his other films, especially The Yakuza Papers. It's a pity so much of his work, especially the earlier genre pictures, remains unavailable.

ellipsis7

#21 Post by ellipsis7 » Wed Jun 01, 2005 2:46 pm

HVe have their August releases up, lots of Merchant ivory, but no Criterion for that month yet...

paa400

#22 Post by paa400 » Wed Jun 01, 2005 2:55 pm

This list-
These are all coming from Criterion but haven't been
"oficially" confirmed for August-December-
THE 49th PARALLEL (1941, Powell & Pressburger)
A CANTEBURY TALE (1944, Powell & Pressburger)
UGETSU MONOGATARI (1954, Kenji Mizoguchi)
MR. ARKADIN (1955, Orson Welles) - possibly two or
three of the plethora edits of the film.
John Ford Films
PLAYTIME (Jacques Tati, 1967) new version
JOUR DE FETE (Jacques Tati, 1949)
More Yasujiro Ozu
EISENSTEIN SILENT YEARS boxset (probably containing
STRIKE, BATTLESHIP POTEMKIN, OCTOBER and others?)
MY NIGHT AT MAUD'S (1969, Eric Rohmer) via Wellspring
CLAIRE'S KNEE (1970, Eric Rohmer) via Wellspring
SEVEN SAMURAI (1954, Akira Kurosawa) Re-Release
HIGH & LOW (1963, Akira Kurosawa) Re-Release

cbernard

#23 Post by cbernard » Wed Jun 01, 2005 3:11 pm

Pick two of those at random and you have a kick-ass month. Then throw in a wild card a la Crazy & Fruity, and there you are.

Plush toys, mmm...

Jun-Dai
監督

#24 Post by Jun-Dai » Wed Jun 01, 2005 4:24 pm

ellipsis7 wrote:HVe have their August releases up, lots of Merchant ivory, but no Criterion for that month yet...
Yup. Plush toys.

oldsheperd

#25 Post by oldsheperd » Wed Jun 01, 2005 4:46 pm

They're being really hesitant about releasing ther Jerry Bruckheimer boxset.