Arrow Films

News on Arrow Video releases.

Moderators: MichaelB, yoloswegmaster

repeat

Re: Arrow Films

#701 Post by repeat » Tue Nov 19, 2013 7:25 am

The good stuff just keeps on coming - Arrow just tweeted they're doing Withnail & I (release TBC)! Can't wait for payday & getting to chip in on the Borowczyk Kickstarter

NABOB OF NOWHERE

#702 Post by NABOB OF NOWHERE » Tue Nov 19, 2013 8:02 am

repeat wrote:Can't wait for payday & getting to chip in on the Borowczyk Kickstarter
You don't have to pay until the pledge is full. So you can chip away

repeat

#703 Post by repeat » Tue Nov 19, 2013 8:14 am

Alright, didn't realize that, first time around for me... Done and done! What an exemplary project, I hope it will work and encourage many similar ones.

MichaelB

#704 Post by MichaelB » Tue Nov 19, 2013 8:30 am

Excellent - yours was the first pledge of today, so we're finally getting going again!

Then again, yesterday and Friday were completely dead in the morning as well - I'm starting to recognise patterns now.

knives

#705 Post by knives » Tue Nov 19, 2013 3:44 pm

People must love sleeping. Glad the steam is still rolling though. Hopefully just ten more days.

effigy105

#706 Post by effigy105 » Tue Nov 19, 2013 9:03 pm

EddieLarkin wrote:There's a new release of Inferno listed for next month, did we know about this?

Michael/David/Tony, do you know if it will be the same disc from 2010? A new encoding/authoring job would be great, considering:

http://www.caps-a-holic.com/hd_vergleic ... 84#auswahl" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I was wondering about this myself. I already have the Blue Underground Blu but for the right price I'd grab the Arrow solely for the supplemental material, which appears to be exactly where the new edition dips slightly.

spocker

#707 Post by spocker » Fri Nov 22, 2013 8:59 am

New postcard in Invasion of the Body Snatchers: City of the Walking Dead

Adam X

#708 Post by Adam X » Fri Nov 22, 2013 9:34 am

At first I thought it was for City of the Living Dead, but then I looked closer at the artwork and realised it was just Nightmare City.
Ah well, I know Lenzi has his fans.

Charles

#709 Post by Charles » Wed Dec 04, 2013 1:23 am

chatterjees wrote:Try one of these two email IDs (very friendly and helpful) -
Laura Winsol (laura@arrowfilms.co.uk)
Nicole Huges (nicole@order-support.co.uk)
You can use their FB page too, but most probably they will provide you with the above mentioned emails.

Don't worry about not finding any evidence for your orders at their website. That's how they roll. Just keep the emails you received when you placed the orders. You can just forward the order confirmation email to any of these two ladies as reference and state your problem.

I hope this will help.
Thanks to both chatterjees and EddieLarkin for the pointers. Wrote to Nicole and she helped immediately, explaining that my item (House of Usher) was temporarily out of stock due to demand, but that I'd see it soon. And I did indeed.

MichaelB

#710 Post by MichaelB » Fri Dec 06, 2013 12:14 pm

Home Cinema Choice magazine has just announced its awards for 2013, including:
SpoilerShow

Finch

#711 Post by Finch » Fri Dec 06, 2013 1:11 pm

Well deserved and then some. No other UK label came close this year, as grateful as I was for MoC's Japanese & WCF box sets and BFI's Gaslight and Phantom BDs. Only Criterion had an even more impressive lineup but Arrow deserves the Label of the Year award across all markets for the way in which they have turned things round for themselves.

manicsounds

#712 Post by manicsounds » Fri Dec 13, 2013 6:16 am

One of the more surprising improvements from Arrow is the quality of the extras.
They've always included a lot of extras on their discs, but if you watch some of their earlier discs, interviews were badly shot with bad lighting, bad framing, and sometimes very bad audio, bad editing, and in low definition, sometimes youtube quality extras.

The discs from this year have been very professionally made, taking many notes from Criterion how they conduct their interviews and how they are edited together.

So far this year, there have been no losers from Arrow. Can't say the same for Criterion. (Earrings of Madame De...)

tenia
Ask Me About My Bassoon

#713 Post by tenia » Fri Dec 13, 2013 2:13 pm

manicsounds wrote:So far this year, there have been no losers from Arrow. Can't say the same for Criterion. (Earrings of Madame De...)
There has been at least the huge letdown for All Ladies Do It (The Key is better but still has problematic contrast), and making the re-release of Tenebrae a Zavvi exclusive is not especially a good thing either. Then, at a lower level, The People Under The Stairs and The Last American Virgin are far from impressive, and remember that Score had to be released only in its soft cut.

So, for one Madame de, you have All Ladies Do It. :wink:

swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

#714 Post by swo17 » Fri Dec 13, 2013 2:14 pm

Two completely comparable films.

Finch

#715 Post by Finch » Fri Dec 13, 2013 2:34 pm

As Michael explained elsewhere, the Zavvi exclusive for Tenebrae is what made the remaster possible in the first place so no bitching allowed over that one.

tenia
Ask Me About My Bassoon

#716 Post by tenia » Fri Dec 13, 2013 4:17 pm

swo17 wrote:Two completely comparable films.
To be honest, Arrow is quite unlikely to release a movie like Madame de. They have a couple of very recognized movies in their Academy section, yes, but I don't think that's the point here.
The point is that Criterion has a major screw up technically speaking this year, but so has Arrow.
Finch wrote:As Michael explained elsewhere, the Zavvi exclusive for Tenebrae is what made the remaster possible in the first place so no bitching allowed over that one.
While I completely understand the financial rational behind, it doesn't change the exclusivity.

AlexHansen

#717 Post by AlexHansen » Fri Dec 13, 2013 4:22 pm

it doesn't change the "temporary" exclusivity.
Let's not forget that a standard release is coming eventually. Patience, virtue, yadda yadda.

MichaelB

#718 Post by MichaelB » Fri Dec 13, 2013 5:03 pm

Part one of an extensive two-part interview with Arrow's label manager Francesco Simeoni - the person most responsible for the recent leap in quality.

antnield

#719 Post by antnield » Tue Dec 17, 2013 7:40 am

...and Part Two.

whipsilk

#720 Post by whipsilk » Tue Dec 17, 2013 8:48 am

MichaelB wrote:Home Cinema Choice magazine has just announced its awards for 2013, including:
SpoilerShow
Can anyone identify the various films from Arrow that have screen shots shown in the Arrow award panel; obviously Texas Chainsaw Massacre 2 and Foxy Brown, but what are the others? I checked the Home Cinema Choice site, but couldn't find that particular page.

TonyleStephanois

#721 Post by TonyleStephanois » Tue Dec 17, 2013 10:05 am

whipsilk wrote:Can anyone identify the various films from Arrow that have screen shots shown in the Arrow award panel; obviously Texas Chainsaw Massacre 2 and Foxy Brown, but what are the others? I checked the Home Cinema Choice site, but couldn't find that particular page.
From top, left to right: The Fall of the House of Usher, The Car, The Texas Chainsaw Massacre 2, Motel Hell, The Last American Virgin, Baron Blood, Black Sabbath, Foxy Brown, Lifeforce.

Minkin

#722 Post by Minkin » Fri Jan 03, 2014 8:02 pm

Congratulations on the best label of the year award - it was well deserved. Arrow became my absolute favorite UK label this year - and your titles were certainly necessary as I completed my thesis.

Anyway, my large Arrow Video order just arrived today with a new postcard for a title we should be expecting soon:

The Beast Within (1982)

There was also some confusion earlier as to City of the Walking/living Dead, and it is indeed Nightmare City (1980) based upon the postcard poster that I got today as well.
I do really love the postcards - especially when they are hints for future releases. I was quite disappointed when Criterion dropped the practice - as its a fun surprise.

Lastly - Might the "Wishlist" topic be changed to Forthcoming, Wishlist and Random Speculation - similar to the Criterion/MoC rumors sections. Or should we continue to post confirmed future titles in this thread - as a catchall Arrow topic?

Minkin

#723 Post by Minkin » Mon Jan 06, 2014 7:44 pm

Wait, Hell Comes to Frogtown and Hellgate are limited to only 1000 copies? The fuck? Why?

Arrow, if you're going to start taking the "limited edition" route with normal releases, at least let us know in advanced. If you think going "Twilight Time" is a great way to maintain customer love/loyalty, then I'll gladly point you towards this thread.

Could someone at Arrow explain this decision? It would have been nice to have known about the sudden change in the print run. All I know is that this decision is not based on rights issues, since they will become "ArrowDrome" afterwards.
Last edited by Minkin on Mon Jan 06, 2014 9:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

#724 Post by swo17 » Mon Jan 06, 2014 7:59 pm

This sounds similar to what BFI did for Riddles of the Sphinx and the Jeff Keen set, due to what they perceived as limited demand.
Last edited by swo17 on Mon Jan 06, 2014 8:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

EddieLarkin

#725 Post by EddieLarkin » Mon Jan 06, 2014 8:35 pm

Were you this ridiculously outraged when MoC announced their limited edition model for Mizoguchi last year?

Here's Arrow's explanation:
Arrow wrote:Hi guys, there won't be English subtitles for this release or Hellgate. Due to the limited demand for both were initially planned as ArrowDrome titles but as HD Masters became available they were bumped up to Arrow Video Blu-rays for a 1000 unit limited run but we could not justify the expense of adding subtitles, which we do for all Blu-ray releases usually. Faced with the choice of releasing these as Blu-rays with extras rather than DVDs with no extras we favoured the former, but that came at the cost of being able to add SDH subtitles, which would not normally be a feature of our much more niche ArrowDrome titles. This is very much a one-off situation and we can guarantee that all planned Arrow Video and Academy Blu-ray releases will contain feature English SDH subtitles where appropriate.
Between a limited release Blu-ray (plus extras) and a non-limited DVD (sans extras) I know which one I'd prefer. If this is the only way Arrow could make it work for them, I have no complaints.