Elvis Presley

Discuss North American DVDs and Blu-rays or other DVD and Blu-ray-related topics.
Buttery Jeb
Just in it for the game.

#1 Post by Buttery Jeb » Tue Jul 18, 2006 1:38 pm

According to that list Myra posted a link to, Fox is preparing DVDs of the Elvis Presley films "Love Me Tender" (which was featured in the Fox Cinema Classics booklet that came with my copy of "Beyond the Valley of the Dolls"), plus "Wild in the Country" and "Flaming Star."

I'm most interested in "Flaming Star": a western directed by John Sturges, and featuring a solid acting performance from Presley in a largely non-musical film. A curiosity for Elvis fans, but a halfway decent film in and of its own right.

Don't remember ever seeing the other two, as they probably have never gotten as much airtime as the Turner/MGM and Warner-owned films. Any comments.

-BJ

Matt

#2 Post by Matt » Tue Jul 18, 2006 1:43 pm

I didn't realize that Sturges had ever even made a film with Elvis. King or no, a Sturges western is always worth watching.

Ashirg

#3 Post by Ashirg » Tue Jul 18, 2006 1:44 pm

Both "Wild in the Country" and "Flaming Star" were already re-packaged with Fox Cinema Classics monicker. Same exact disc, same UPC, new packaging.

Buttery Jeb
Just in it for the game.

#4 Post by Buttery Jeb » Tue Jul 18, 2006 7:37 pm

Ashrig, I had no idea that any of the Fox Elvis films were released previously. Couldn't find anything about a re-release under the "Cinema Classics" banner though.

-BJ

Ashirg

#5 Post by Ashirg » Wed Jul 19, 2006 12:13 am

Most of them point to the old release since it's exactly the same disc, but you can see new covers here -

http://shopping.yahoo.com/p:Wild%20in%2 ... 1800135555

http://shopping.yahoo.com/p:Flaming%20Star:1800066008

It's similar to Cinema Classics Collection re-releases of The Agony and the Ecstasy, The Bible, Demetrius and the Gladiators, and The Robe.

Lino

#6 Post by Lino » Wed Jul 19, 2006 3:39 am

(couldn't find a larger one)

BTW, who's "Elvii"?

djali999

#7 Post by djali999 » Wed Jul 19, 2006 4:21 am

Myra Breckinridge wrote:BTW, who's "Elvii"?
The plural of Elvis, obviously. :roll:

Lino

#8 Post by Lino » Wed Jul 19, 2006 3:14 pm

djali999 wrote:
Myra Breckinridge wrote:BTW, who's "Elvii"?
The plural of Elvis, obviously. :roll:
Well, that's one slice of americana I've not yet tasted until now. But you're right, of course:

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=elvii

souvenir

#9 Post by souvenir » Wed Jul 19, 2006 4:32 pm

Buttery Jeb wrote:I'm most interested in "Flaming Star": a western directed by John Sturges, and featuring a solid acting performance from Presley in a largely non-musical film.
Don Siegel actually was the director of "Flaming Star" and it's definitely the King's most accomplished dramatic role. One can only wonder how Elvis would have fared in the role Kris Kristofferson played in the Streisand version of "A Star Is Born" since Colonel Tom supposedly sabotaged the deal.

Buttery Jeb
Just in it for the game.

#10 Post by Buttery Jeb » Wed Jul 19, 2006 5:04 pm

Damn, I knew it was Don Seigel. That's what happens when I try posting while on flu medication. Completely articulate, but all my facts are wrong.

Sorry about the mess-up on this one.

-BJ

souvenir

#11 Post by souvenir » Wed Jul 19, 2006 5:13 pm

Buttery Jeb wrote:Damn, I knew it was Don Seigel. That's what happens when I try posting while on flu medication. Completely articulate, but all my facts are wrong.

Sorry about the mess-up on this one.

-BJ
Hey, no problem, I was just happy to see some love for Elvis. People who grew up in Tennessee like myself sometimes forget that he's not deified everywhere else.