Criterion Discussion and Random Speculation Volume 7

News on Criterion and Janus Films.
ryannichols7

Re: Criterion Discussion and Random Speculation Volume 7

#5701 Post by ryannichols7 » Sat Dec 17, 2022 4:55 am

this has been rumored and speculated for just about a decade now (after it was confirmed by Spike himself) and I think a UHD would make it well worth the wait

Blutarsky

#5702 Post by Blutarsky » Sat Dec 17, 2022 2:01 pm

ryannichols7 wrote:
Fri Dec 16, 2022 7:13 am
and come on, Inland Empire, we all knew it. now it begs the question of whether The Straight Story will happen. I'm gonna guess Wild at Heart will be the last priority since Criterion have a good relationship with Shout and their edition is still in print. obviously Lynch disowns Dune so Arrow will have that one.
A question I have is do you think Twin Peaks would ever be on the table? Seeing that they released Berlin Alexanderplatz, it wouldn’t be shocking to see if The Return to get a release.

Guido

#5703 Post by Guido » Sat Dec 17, 2022 3:16 pm

My god — what I’d give for a 4K set of The Return with the proper theatrical sound mix Lynch wasn’t able to use for broadcast.

black&huge

#5704 Post by black&huge » Sun Dec 18, 2022 4:26 am

Guido wrote:
Sat Dec 17, 2022 3:16 pm
My god — what I’d give for a 4K set of The Return with the proper theatrical sound mix Lynch wasn’t able to use for broadcast.
didn't Lynch veto the use of HDR on that ep 8 4k disc that came in the Z to A box? would he approve of dolby vision now for The Return or the other 2 seasons at all?

Guido

#5705 Post by Guido » Sun Dec 18, 2022 1:06 pm

Interesting, particularly given that Mulholland Drive and Lost Highway both got the Dolby Vision treatment. I can’t remember the camera they used for The Return, but you’d think the source material would be perfectly suited for a great HDR grade.

soundchaser
Leave Her to Beaver

#5706 Post by soundchaser » Sun Dec 18, 2022 1:32 pm

Guido wrote:
Sun Dec 18, 2022 1:06 pm
Interesting, particularly given that Mulholland Drive and Lost Highway both got the Dolby Vision treatment. I can’t remember the camera they used for The Return, but you’d think the source material would be perfectly suited for a great HDR grade.
I don’t think this was going through Lynch’s head at the time (although I could be wrong!), but there does seem to be something strange about applying an HDR grade to a television show that never had one. Film I get — it can more naturally emulate the highlights and deeper blacks of a print — but a TV show that was broadcast without HDR? I’m not sure.

yoloswegmaster

#5707 Post by yoloswegmaster » Mon Dec 19, 2022 7:42 am

Criterion has helped restore 4 of Bimal Roy's films: ‘Do Bigha Zameen’, ‘Bandini’, ‘Madhumati’ and ‘Devdas’.

yoloswegmaster

#5708 Post by yoloswegmaster » Fri Dec 23, 2022 10:27 pm

yoloswegmaster wrote:
Sat Jun 18, 2022 2:09 pm
According to a Reddit user who went to a screening with one of the producers in attendance, Criterion will be releasing Todd Haynes' 'Velvet Goldmine'.
Todd Haynes on a future Velvet Goldmine release in a recent interview:
While the director declines to say if specific plans are in motion for the 25th anniversary, he does note that a new digital print of the film has played at festivals and could pop up on the Criterion Collection's 2023 slate.

FrauBlucher

#5709 Post by FrauBlucher » Fri Dec 30, 2022 4:45 pm

It’s that time of year where I miss Jason Polan and his wacky drawings. :(

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#5710 Post by domino harvey » Sat Dec 31, 2022 12:50 pm

I know they want to honor his memory by not replacing him, but surely there's another way to do it that would serve the same purpose-- doesn't even have to be art, could be a word find, whatever

Feego

#5711 Post by Feego » Sat Dec 31, 2022 1:59 pm

I miss the old days when they would tease a blow-up of a film frame.

yoloswegmaster

#5712 Post by yoloswegmaster » Sun Jan 01, 2023 10:09 am

Jerzy Skolimowski's The Shout opens with the CC and Janus logos.

FrauBlucher

#5713 Post by FrauBlucher » Wed Jan 11, 2023 5:33 pm

Not sure how I missed this....
Re: THE TRIAL on Blu-Ray / 4K
Post by RayKelly » Tue Aug 23, 2022 5:25 pm

I heard from a very reliable source that a 4K UHD / Blu-ray release of THE TRIAL in the US is very likely — next year.
That Adrian Martin commentary track teaser could very well be for this, just as Jonathan Rosenbaum tweeted commentary track teasers for both Ambersons and Kane respectively

guyetgenevieve

#5714 Post by guyetgenevieve » Wed Jan 11, 2023 6:22 pm

This is pure speculation, but Triangle of Sadness hasn't received a stateside Blu-ray release yet. NEON/Decal are usually pretty quick about theatrical-to-Blu turnarounds (Broker has already been announced for February). Do we think Criterion may potentially do Triangle of Sadness, given it's Palme d'Or win and their good relationship with NEON?

Calvin

#5715 Post by Calvin » Wed Jan 11, 2023 6:22 pm

I've held off the Studio Canal release of The Trial in the hope that Criterion will manage to work out a deal to include (and, ideally, restore) Filming The Trial

therewillbeblus

#5716 Post by therewillbeblus » Wed Jan 11, 2023 6:27 pm

guyetgenevieve wrote:
Wed Jan 11, 2023 6:22 pm
This is pure speculation, but Triangle of Sadness hasn't received a stateside Blu-ray release yet. NEON/Decal are usually pretty quick about theatrical-to-Blu turnarounds (Broker has already been announced for February). Do we think Criterion may potentially do Triangle of Sadness, given it's Palme d'Or win and their good relationship with NEON?
I hope so, but remember that Östlund's last Palme winner still only has a DVD release in the states

The Narrator Returns

#5717 Post by The Narrator Returns » Wed Jan 11, 2023 7:09 pm

It's possible Decal (or Criterion) are waiting to see if the Oscars go for it before they release Triangle, but I don't know why they've been sitting on Petite Maman for as long as they have. Even if Criterion announces it this month (and I think they'd be foolish not to go for it if they have a deal with NEON and an established relationship with Sciamma), it will have been a full year between its theatrical and home video releases.

yoloswegmaster

#5718 Post by yoloswegmaster » Wed Jan 11, 2023 7:19 pm

therewillbeblus wrote:
Wed Jan 11, 2023 6:27 pm
guyetgenevieve wrote:
Wed Jan 11, 2023 6:22 pm
I hope so, but remember that Östlund's last Palme winner still only has a DVD release in the states
It's worth noting that The Square is under Magnolia (who also strangely gave Koreeda's Shoplifters a DVD-only release, where Triangle is with NEON who give most (if not all) of their titles a Blu release.

FrauBlucher

#5719 Post by FrauBlucher » Thu Jan 12, 2023 8:24 pm

Unless they announce Friday (unlikely), we'll get them the 17th, Tues as Monday is MLK Day. Maybe our Estonian friend will have a little leakage

Fiery Angel

#5720 Post by Fiery Angel » Fri Jan 13, 2023 5:58 pm

from today's NEON press release:
NEON’S SLATE OF AWARD WINNING FILMS TO JOIN THE CRITERION COLLECTION, INCLUDING ALICE DIOP’S SAINT OMER, LAURA POITRAS’S ALL THE BEAUTY AND THE BLOODSHED, RUBEN ÖSTLUND’S TRIANGLE OF SADNESS, BRETT MORGEN’S MOONAGE DAYDREAM AND CELINE SCIAMA’S PETITE MAMAN

soundchaser
Leave Her to Beaver

#5721 Post by soundchaser » Fri Jan 13, 2023 6:05 pm

Fiery Angel wrote:
Fri Jan 13, 2023 5:58 pm
from today's NEON press release:
NEON’S SLATE OF AWARD WINNING FILMS TO JOIN THE CRITERION COLLECTION, INCLUDING ALICE DIOP’S SAINT OMER, LAURA POITRAS’S ALL THE BEAUTY AND THE BLOODSHED, RUBEN ÖSTLUND’S TRIANGLE OF SADNESS, BRETT MORGEN’S MOONAGE DAYDREAM AND CELINE SCIAMA’S PETITE MAMAN
Makes sense — NEON doesn’t have to worry about physical distribution, and Criterion gets some nice talked-about awards contenders to sell.

ryannichols7

#5722 Post by ryannichols7 » Fri Jan 13, 2023 6:30 pm

that's....a lot of titles

and Broker couldn't be one? really?

yoloswegmaster

#5723 Post by yoloswegmaster » Fri Jan 13, 2023 8:15 pm

I just realized that NEON'S official announcement on Twitter omits Saint Omer. I wonder if that's just an oversight.

Curious to see if Criterion adds Ostlund's early films to the TRIANGLE release, especially when we know that they have the rights to 3 of his early films.

Ribs

#5724 Post by Ribs » Fri Jan 13, 2023 10:31 pm

Saint Omer is not released by Neon but their imprint Super Ltd.

I am quite frankly dumbfounded that a movie that recieved such universal disdain from the mainstream major American film press as Triangle of Sadness possibly met Criterion’s internal standards - the movie recieved absolute pans from the head critics at NYT, the New Yorker, New York Magazine, Los Angeles Times, Film Comment, Rolling Stone…. Just shocked they just follow the Palme I guess.

senseabove

#5725 Post by senseabove » Sat Jan 14, 2023 1:57 am

yoloswegmaster wrote:
Fri Jan 13, 2023 8:15 pm
I just realized that NEON'S official announcement on Twitter omits Saint Omer. I wonder if that's just an oversight.
May also just be that Twitter has a four image max per tweet and so they chose the four movies that already have been or currently are in theaters, not the one that hasn’t had a general release and so will be unknown to anyone who isn’t a nerd following the festival buzz like us?