Criterion Discussion and Random Speculation Volume 7

News on Criterion and Janus Films.
FrauBlucher

Re: Criterion Discussion and Random Speculation Volume 7

#4451 Post by FrauBlucher » Sun Aug 29, 2021 6:13 pm

Casablanca is currently on TCM. It has me thinking that next year it turns 80. I do think it has a good chance of Criterion releasing a UHD version. I don't see Warner Media or whatever they are called putting out UHD versions of classic Hollywood. Although The Wizard of Oz has a UHD release. But not much more after that. Plus, Casablanca would be a Criterion laserdisc returning. BTW... What were the supplements on the laserdisc?

CSM126

#4452 Post by CSM126 » Sun Aug 29, 2021 7:00 pm

FrauBlucher wrote:
Sun Aug 29, 2021 6:13 pm
Casablanca is currently on TCM. It has me thinking that next year it turns 80. I do think it has a good chance of Criterion releasing a UHD version. I don't see Warner Media or whatever they are called putting out UHD versions of classic Hollywood. Although The Wizard of Oz has a UHD release. But not much more after that. Plus, Casablanca would be a Criterion laserdisc returning. BTW... What were the supplements on the laserdisc?
Not much

FrauBlucher

#4453 Post by FrauBlucher » Sun Aug 29, 2021 7:05 pm

Commentary by Ronald Haver. Never heard of him.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#4454 Post by domino harvey » Sun Aug 29, 2021 7:16 pm

He’s the film historian who rediscovered the missing A Song is Born material. He didn’t live to make it to the DVD era

FlickeringWindow

#4455 Post by FlickeringWindow » Sun Aug 29, 2021 7:59 pm

From the chapter listing on the back..

Chapter 23: Synopsis of Everybody Comes to Rick's
Chapter 24: Editing notes from Hal Wallis
Chapter 25: Production Code notes & budgets
Chapter 26: Production & Publicity photos
Chapter 27: Lux Radio Broadcast of Casablanca
Chapter 28: The original theatrical trailer
Chapter 29: Suggested sequel and reader's report
Chapter 30: Casablanca colorized
Chapter 31: Newsreel footage of the city of Casablanca

The Elegant Dandy Fop

#4456 Post by The Elegant Dandy Fop » Sun Aug 29, 2021 9:12 pm

FrauBlucher wrote:
Sun Aug 29, 2021 7:05 pm
Commentary by Ronald Haver. Never heard of him.
Ronald Haver is fascinating figure. He recorded the first “audio essay” (first name for a commentary track”) for Criterion’s King Kong. There was an article from over a decade ago about Criterion’s early days explaining that he did the commentary track in exchange for a bunch of weed. He was also a personal assistant to Ernest B. Schoedsack so he has a personal familiarilty to the man. He was also Los Angeles County Museum of Art’s first ever film programmer and one of the founders of the American Cinematheque. Tragically, he and his partner passed away amidst the AIDS crisis.

DimitriL

#4457 Post by DimitriL » Sun Aug 29, 2021 9:15 pm

domino harvey wrote:
Sun Aug 29, 2021 7:16 pm
He’s the film historian who rediscovered the missing A Song is Born material. He didn’t live to make it to the DVD era
A moment of appreciation for Ronald Haver, who was one of the most important figures in the early Criterion Collection. He recorded the first credited commentary ever, for King Kong. He did commentaries for some of the biggest and most important titles Criterion ever had; besides Kong and Casablanca, he did Wizard of Oz, Singin’ in the Rain, Here Comes Mr. Jordan, Colonel Blimp & Black Narcissus (essays), and I know I’m forgetting some. And not only that, he actually oversaw the film to video transfers of a lot of the early titles. We lost him much too soon, and it’s a shame his massive contributions have been largely forgotten.

swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

#4458 Post by swo17 » Sun Aug 29, 2021 9:31 pm

domino harvey wrote:
Sun Aug 29, 2021 7:16 pm
You mean the 1950s A Star Is Born, no?

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#4459 Post by domino harvey » Sun Aug 29, 2021 10:54 pm

Yes, sorry

FrauBlucher

#4460 Post by FrauBlucher » Wed Sep 15, 2021 11:25 am

I just read the Ebert essay from The Great Movies 4 on Cache. Then went searching for the bluray and shockingly seen there isn’t one for the US. Which leads me to think this will eventually get a Criterion. Did I miss something and this has been hinted at?

yoloswegmaster

#4461 Post by yoloswegmaster » Wed Sep 15, 2021 12:00 pm

Pages for The Red Shoes 4K UHD, The Learning Tree, and One Night in Miami have been uploaded.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#4462 Post by domino harvey » Wed Sep 15, 2021 12:11 pm

What happened to that December release of Klein we were promised

Ribs

#4463 Post by Ribs » Wed Sep 15, 2021 12:19 pm

As disappointing as it is to have the lightest slate of releases in decades (I'm pretty sure?), it's pretty cool to have a month where the only actually new additions to the catalog are from POC filmmakers. It'll be interesting now that we have the year's slate altogether to look at how Criterion has clearly addressed the just criticism with tons of great releases.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#4464 Post by domino harvey » Wed Sep 15, 2021 12:24 pm

Is anyone really excited about King’s film though? Criterion obviously gambled and lost on the film getting more significant Oscar traction and it’s already been forgotten

Ribs

#4465 Post by Ribs » Wed Sep 15, 2021 12:28 pm

It’s a great film that was better than every other film nominated in any category, for my money, and was generally applauded. The movie is far more “worthy” of a release for my money then something like The Other Side of the Wind. I don’t think the idea of worth really matters because this was the only way this acclaimed film would ever get a release.

knives

#4466 Post by knives » Wed Sep 15, 2021 12:33 pm

I’m with Dom. I can see why they released it, but it’s a pretty mediocre pushover of a film. Exactly the sort of thing CBS would run in the ‘90s.

Learning Tree is great news though. Especially that booklet.

swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

#4467 Post by swo17 » Wed Sep 15, 2021 12:40 pm

Ribs wrote:
Wed Sep 15, 2021 12:19 pm
As disappointing as it is to have the lightest slate of releases in decades (I'm pretty sure?), it's pretty cool to have a month where the only actually new additions to the catalog are from POC filmmakers. It'll be interesting now that we have the year's slate altogether to look at how Criterion has clearly addressed the just criticism with tons of great releases.
I hope this translates soon to a lot more Sembene

tolbs1010

#4468 Post by tolbs1010 » Wed Sep 15, 2021 12:41 pm

domino harvey wrote:
Wed Sep 15, 2021 12:11 pm
What happened to that December release of Klein we were promised
Yeah, where is it?! (grumble grumble)

Maybe they are beefing up the release by getting rights to Hideo Nakata's Losey documentary, The Man With Four Names, which it seems no one has seen but features a full lineup of close Losey collaborators. The Studio Canal release has only a couple of film-critic interiews/commentary. Been holding off on buying the SC release in anticipation of a CC release.

FrauBlucher

#4469 Post by FrauBlucher » Wed Sep 15, 2021 12:49 pm

Hopefully, Criterion turns the page on 2021 and makes 2022 the year of the Studio Canal re-releases and along with SC new licenses

dwk

#4470 Post by dwk » Wed Sep 15, 2021 1:10 pm

I do wonder if they have pushed back some stuff, like a re-issue of Le cercle rouge or Mr. Klein, because they are weighing whether or not to release them on UHD. (Although in the case of Klein, it likely got pushed back after they delayed Uncut Gems so they could release it on UHD.)

Speaking of Uncut Gems, I am still curious about the, correct, decision to do a UHD release. Was it at the Safdies' request? Were the pre-orders for the first three UHDs so strong that they decided it was worth it to delay the title to add that option?
Last edited by dwk on Wed Sep 15, 2021 4:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Maltic

#4471 Post by Maltic » Wed Sep 15, 2021 1:26 pm

Re: One Night In Miami

Seems a clever way to get Criterion amazonified while shielding them from a lot of criticism. Who's to complain about increased POC representation?

But I'm being cynical. And I've been buying a lot fewer discs in the last year or so anyway, so don't mind me, Criterion & co.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#4472 Post by domino harvey » Wed Sep 15, 2021 1:38 pm

They already released an Amazon title, Cold War

cdnchris
Site Admin

#4473 Post by cdnchris » Wed Sep 15, 2021 1:56 pm

domino harvey wrote:
Wed Sep 15, 2021 1:38 pm
They already released an Amazon title, Cold War
Who's to complain about increased Polish representation?

therewillbeblus

#4474 Post by therewillbeblus » Wed Sep 15, 2021 1:59 pm

[Takes deep breath so as not to extrapolate predicted small-sample of evidence that Criterion's UHD/Streaming Service prioritization is diluting the strength of their output]

cdnchris
Site Admin

#4475 Post by cdnchris » Wed Sep 15, 2021 2:10 pm

therewillbeblus wrote:
Wed Sep 15, 2021 1:59 pm
[Takes deep breath so as not to extrapolate predicted small-sample of evidence that Criterion's UHD/Streaming Service prioritization is diluting the strength of their output]
I'm cool with the streaming deals if it means these films are getting home video releases, and Netflix has some solid material, but Amazon had a deal with Lionsgate prior to this, right? I'm guessing Amazon didn't like the deal with them, or they think Criterion's name will throw some prestige on some titles, but are there any titles from Amazon (that haven't been released by Lionsgate already) that really stand-out all that much? Sound of Metal, Time and this one are all fine I guess.