Tremors

Discuss releases from Arrow and the films on them.

Moderator: yoloswegmaster

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

Tremors

#1 Post by domino harvey » Fri Sep 25, 2020 9:50 am

4K ULTRA HD BLU-RAY SPECIAL EDITION CONTENTS
  • New 4K restoration from the original negative by Arrow Films, approved by director Ron Underwood and director of photography Alexander Gruszynski
  • 60-page perfect-bound book featuring new writing by Kim Newman and Jonathan Melville and selected archive materials
  • Large fold-out double-sided poster featuring original and newly commissioned artwork by Matt Frank
  • Small fold-out double-sided poster featuring new Graboid X-ray art by Matt Frank
  • Six double-sided, postcard-sized lobby card reproduction artcards
  • Limited Edition packaging with reversible sleeve featuring original and newly commissioned artwork by Matt Frank
DISC 1 – FEATURE & EXTRAS (4K UHD BLU-RAY)
  • 4K (2160p) UHD Blu-ray presentation in Dolby Vision (HDR10 compatible)
  • Restored DTS-HD MA original theatrical 2.0 stereo, 4.0 surround, and remixed 5.1 surround audio options
  • Optional English subtitles for the deaf and hard of hearing
  • New audio commentary by director Ron Underwood and writers/producers Brent Maddock & S.S. Wilson
  • New audio commentary by Jonathan Melville, author of Seeking Perfection: The Unofficial Guide to Tremors
  • Making Perfection, a brand new documentary by Universal Pictures interviewing key cast and crew from the franchise (including Kevin Bacon, Michael Gross, Ariana Richards, Ron Underwood, Brent Maddock & S.S. Wilson, among many others) and revisiting the original locations
  • The Truth About Tremors, a newly filmed interview with co-producer Nancy Roberts on the film’s rocky road to the screen
  • Bad Vibrations, a newly filmed interview with director of photography Alexander Gruszynski
  • Aftershocks and Other Rumblings, newly filmed on-set stories from associate producer Ellen Collett
  • Digging in the Dirt, a new featurette interviewing the crews behind the film’s extensive visual effects
  • Music for Graboids, a new featurette on the film’s music with composers Ernest Troost and Robert Folk
  • Pardon My French!, a newly assembled compilation of overdubs from the edited-for television version
  • The Making of Tremors, an archive documentary from 1995 by Laurent Bouzereau, interviewing the filmmakers and special effects teams
  • Creature Featurette, an archive compilation of on-set camcorder footage showing the making of the Graboids
  • Electronic press kit featurette and interviews with Kevin Bacon, Michael Gross and Reba McEntire
  • Deleted scenes, including the original opening scene
  • Theatrical trailers, TV and radio spots for the original film as well as trailers for the entire Tremors franchise
  • Comprehensive image galleries, including rare behind-the-scenes stills, storyboards and two different drafts of the screenplay
DISC 2 – INTERVIEWS & SHORT FILMS (BLU-RAY LIMITED EDITION EXCLUSIVE)
  • Extended hour-long interviews from Making Perfection with Ron Underwood, Brent Maddock, S.S. Wilson, Nancy Roberts and creature designer Alec Gillis
  • Outtakes with optional introduction and commentary by S.S. Wilson
  • Three early short films by the makers of Tremors, remastered in high definition, including S.S. Wilson’s stop-motion horror/comedy classic Recorded Live (1975)

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

Re: Tremors

#2 Post by domino harvey » Fri Sep 25, 2020 10:23 am

Unless I'm missing it, this appears to be UHD-only? The Blu-ray is for bonus features

Dr Amicus

#3 Post by Dr Amicus » Fri Sep 25, 2020 10:25 am

domino harvey wrote:
Fri Sep 25, 2020 10:23 am
Unless I'm missing it, this appears to be UHD-only? The Blu-ray is for bonus features
Whereas I missed the UHD first - there is a separate Blu Ray Limited Edition which is the same but Disc 1 is a Blu Ray.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#4 Post by domino harvey » Fri Sep 25, 2020 11:39 am

Good catch!

I’m def interested in the TV swear compilation, considering 95% of the times I ever saw this were on the USA network, where it seemingly aired weekly

therewillbeblus

#5 Post by therewillbeblus » Fri Sep 25, 2020 2:56 pm

I feel like it was on every Saturday and Sunday, always in the background at least. My dad who normally hates this kind of movie loves this one, mostly because of its comfortable self-awareness. My sister and I were big fans, not only because it’s awesome, but it totally appeals to kids who enjoy ‘the floor is lava’ survivalist spacial-manipulation imaginative play. I forget most of the dubs, which are probably mainly revolving around sh*t since most f*cks were cut, but the goldmine swear is after they kill one and yell “F*ck You!” which is the most appropriate response in basically every horror movie but rarely executed so transparently!

colinr0380

#6 Post by colinr0380 » Mon Sep 28, 2020 12:31 pm

My dad was very much the same therewillbeblus! Tremors is one of only three unqualified successes I have seen my own father have in sitting down and watching films with him over the years (the others being Speed and somewhat surprisingly Erin Brockovich, both of which where he did the perfect arc of scoffing at it at the start to having lots of questions by the end! He also maintained a cool distance from Cube, saying that he did not like it but we ended up having a good debate about it, particularly the ending, for days afterwards!), and I wonder if it is because it is one of the few films to hit a perfect tonal sweet spot. It is a old-fashioned monster movie but without the slightly cheesy effects of your 50s and 60s monsters that would make it easy to scoff at and dismiss. It is a horror movie with some of the characters getting eaten and some scary bits, but it does not feel as if it revels in stalking and picking off the victims with quite as much glee as your average horror film, or has the very bleak tone and gooey effects of something like The Thing. It has a light comedic tone (the pogo stick and general disdain for children in general! choosing the cheesiest possible name for the monster! the survivalists with the arsenal of heavy weaponry including the bringing out of the elephant gun as a capper!) but never uses that to undermine the threat that is being faced. And of course it has really great chemistry between Fred Ward and Kevin Bacon (who are really in the strongest relationship of anyone in the film, aside from maybe the survivalists who are also enjoying a shared love in what they do!), although this is one film where the entire cast feel perfect in their roles from big to small.

And yes I totally understand the "floor is lava" appeal of this film too, and particularly love the surprisingly joyous pole vaulting scene, and the way that after the attack on the General Store that all the characters get split up into their smaller groups on top of their different buildings before they find a way to group together again as a moveable feast!

Thinking more about the comic relief survivalist characters means that it does strike me as being a kind of conservative leaning film in that sense, though it does eschew the notion of isolated survivalism as a way of life for more of an emphasis on a kind of blue collar, small town fightback whilst still suggesting the preppers were probably right to have an arsenal of weapons and explosives to hand, just that it is better to use them for the whole community rather then selfishly hoarding them to themselves! I do not think that it is horrifically conservative in nature (though I suppose that the one Asian character does get eaten!), but is interestingly seductive in that sense of banding together to fend off outside threats before order gets restored. In retrospect its no wonder that my father liked it!

I do often hear that Tremors 2: Aftershocks is apparently pretty good as well, although didn't the sequels go the Piranha II: The Spawning route by introducing flying monsters? (I suppose that the monster here arguably flies too, but it is probably better placed more into the 'falling with style' category!)

therewillbeblus

#7 Post by therewillbeblus » Sun Dec 19, 2021 10:24 pm

Pardon My French! is a fun little extra, though I wish they didn't include every swear-replacement scene (since sometimes they don't even swap them out at all!) There are some expectedly hysterical linguistic substitutions though- some of which are totally undecipherable, and it's a nice throwback of nostalgia for anyone who watched TV in the late 90s/early aughts when this was inevitably on one of three channels during the afternoon