Paramount Catalog Titles on Blu

Discuss North American DVDs and Blu-rays or other DVD and Blu-ray-related topics.
Adam X

Re: Paramount Catalog Titles on Blu

#401 Post by Adam X » Sat May 23, 2020 2:22 pm

I think the significant thing mentioned is this came from their publicity dept. That entire post (in red) is spin.

dwk

#402 Post by dwk » Thu May 28, 2020 11:43 pm

People on the Blu-ray.com forums are saying that the BD-r titles are only burned if you order them from Amazon. It seems that, at least, Deep Discount has changed their photos for those titles and they all now have the official Blu-ray logo on the packaging.

Update: This Home Theater Forum thread has pictures of the pressed copy of Funeral in Berlin.

soundchaser
Leave Her to Beaver

#403 Post by soundchaser » Fri May 29, 2020 12:08 am

Oh, that’d be lovely. My copy of On A Clear Day You Can See Forever is set to arrive from Bull Moose this weekend — I’ll keep my fingers crossed and everyone posted.

Feego

#404 Post by Feego » Fri May 29, 2020 2:52 pm

Amazon is currently showing only 15 units in stock for the earlier To Catch a Thief Blu, without "more on the way." Now is probably the time to grab it if you haven't already before the new monstrosity is the only one available.

soundchaser
Leave Her to Beaver

#405 Post by soundchaser » Fri May 29, 2020 3:09 pm

soundchaser wrote:
Fri May 29, 2020 12:08 am
Oh, that’d be lovely. My copy of On A Clear Day You Can See Forever is set to arrive from Bull Moose this weekend — I’ll keep my fingers crossed and everyone posted.
Arrived today, and it sure looks like a pressed disc to me. The Blu-Ray logo is splattered all over the packaging, too.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#406 Post by domino harvey » Fri May 29, 2020 3:16 pm

Yep, that’s pressed! None of the Paramount titles out on this format interest me yet, but that’s good news for when they start digging into their terrific back catalog

Jean-Luc Garbo

#407 Post by Jean-Luc Garbo » Mon Jun 01, 2020 10:24 am

Feego wrote:
Fri May 29, 2020 2:52 pm
Amazon is currently showing only 15 units in stock for the earlier To Catch a Thief Blu, without "more on the way." Now is probably the time to grab it if you haven't already before the new monstrosity is the only one available.
This is for the 2017 blu - or is this identical to the 2012 blu?

therewillbeblus

#408 Post by therewillbeblus » Mon Jun 01, 2020 10:27 am

I believe they're identical, so you can switch between the listings if one sells out. My understanding is that there is no difference in image quality or extras

Rayon Vert
Green is the Rayest Color

#409 Post by Rayon Vert » Mon Jun 01, 2020 10:30 am

You can select the second line on that page in "additional blu ray options", and get the 2012 one.

I'm reading on another forum that the 2017 is a repackaging that should be the same as the 2012.

Feego

#410 Post by Feego » Mon Jun 01, 2020 11:09 am

Yes, they should be essentially the same. I believe the only difference is that one package will have Warner Bros. branding (from when WB was distributing lots of Paramount releases) and the other Paramount.

dwk

#411 Post by dwk » Fri Jul 10, 2020 10:43 am

A number of titles have popped up with a release date of September 15th:
The Sons of Katie Elder
Private Parts
The Two Jakes
Uncommon Valor
The Phantom
Barefoot in the Park
Vampire in Brooklyn
Timeline
Stephen King 5 Films (The Dead Zone, Pet Semetery, Pet Semetery remake, The Stand, Silver Bullet)

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#412 Post by domino harvey » Fri Jul 10, 2020 1:13 pm

Can’t say I’m thrilled by their choices yet again but that’s an impressive number of releases, so hopefully another round is more fruitful. I reckon I’ll pick up the Two Jakes at some point

Monterey Jack

#413 Post by Monterey Jack » Fri Jul 10, 2020 1:25 pm

REALLY annoyed the only way to get The Dead Zone (one of the best King adaptations) is to buy it in a boxed set with four other movies (two of which are terrible and the other two I already own). I know there's a cheap Aussie release, but I was hoping that Scream Factory might announce it soon.

Still, nice to see Paramount stepping up the back catalogue game. Hopefully Dead Again is released at some point.

willoneill

#414 Post by willoneill » Fri Jul 10, 2020 1:29 pm

I'm most surprised at Private Parts; I thought I remembered reading that Stern tried to have the movie put out of print a few years ago.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#415 Post by domino harvey » Fri Jul 10, 2020 2:49 pm

willoneill wrote:
Fri Jul 10, 2020 1:29 pm
I'm most surprised at Private Parts; I thought I remembered reading that Stern tried to have the movie put out of print a few years ago.
Really? I don't remember caring for it apart from putting Paul Giamatti on the map, but wasn't it fairly popular both with audiences and critics? You'd think he'd want something people liked associated with him

captveg

#416 Post by captveg » Fri Jul 10, 2020 2:59 pm

Monterey Jack wrote:
Fri Jul 10, 2020 1:25 pm
REALLY annoyed the only way to get The Dead Zone (one of the best King adaptations) is to buy it in a boxed set with four other movies (two of which are terrible and the other two I already own). I know there's a cheap Aussie release, but I was hoping that Scream Factory might announce it soon.
They still could do a Special Edition release of it. In fact, I feel it's highly likely considering the other releases in this set have BDs already, including a Scream Factory release of Silver Bullet. I can even see the Dead Zone being an October title for Scream Factory.

Monterey Jack

#417 Post by Monterey Jack » Fri Jul 10, 2020 3:18 pm

captveg wrote:
Fri Jul 10, 2020 2:59 pm
They still could do a Special Edition release of it. In fact, I feel it's highly likely considering the other releases in this set have BDs already, including a Scream Factory release of Silver Bullet. I can even see the Dead Zone being an October title for Scream Factory.
This is why I'm holding out. Worst-case scenario is I import the Aussie disc for under $20 shipped.

Reverend Drewcifer

#418 Post by Reverend Drewcifer » Fri Jul 10, 2020 3:18 pm

domino harvey wrote:
Fri Jul 10, 2020 2:49 pm
willoneill wrote:
Really? I don't remember caring for it apart from putting Paul Giamatti on the map, but wasn't it fairly popular both with audiences and critics? You'd think he'd want something people liked associated with him
IIRC, it may have something to do with his ex-wife and/or the depiction of his prior marriage.

willoneill

#419 Post by willoneill » Fri Jul 10, 2020 6:48 pm

domino harvey wrote:
Fri Jul 10, 2020 2:49 pm
willoneill wrote:
I tried to remember where I read this on the internet, and lo and behold, it was here!

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#420 Post by domino harvey » Sun Jul 19, 2020 5:10 pm

The new slew of Paramount Blu-ray titles have a much lower MSRP of 14.99 and some are available for 9.99 preorder on Amazon (assuming that's now safe to get pressed discs?)

Ribs

#421 Post by Ribs » Sun Jul 19, 2020 5:13 pm

Unlike the other releases, these have the Blu-ray logo on the spine artwork itself, so are very likely safe to be pressed from everywhere.

Ribs

#422 Post by Ribs » Mon Jul 20, 2020 8:18 am

Roman Holiday releasing via Paramount Presents September 15

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#423 Post by domino harvey » Mon Jul 20, 2020 10:02 am

Years of waiting and now I’m terrified Paramount is gonna make it look like To Catch a Thief...

Ribs

#424 Post by Ribs » Mon Jul 20, 2020 10:36 am

The rest of the Presents line has been great and clear improvements from the previous releases, so I’d just take To Catch a Thief as a bad foot to start on. Though the rest of the releases have all been for “newer” movies that they maybe might think don't “need” DNR to look better...

Though I am curious if all these titles are going to go the HMV brand in the UK or if there’s a chance that MoC might have nabbed it - seeing as Criterion didn’t get it it seems like one they’re trying to keep in-house but maybe things’ll be different abroad.

captveg

#425 Post by captveg » Tue Jul 21, 2020 5:04 pm

They've also confirmed via The Digital Bits that A Place in the Sun (1951) is a future Paramount Presents title.

Some good info about the restoration efforts on Roman Holiday in that article, BTW.