Kino Lorber Studio Classics

Vinegar Syndrome, Deaf Crocodile, Imprint, Cinema Guild, and more.
knives

Re: Kino Lorber Studio Classics Acquisitions

#2501 Post by knives » Fri Nov 08, 2019 12:22 pm

Gregory wrote:
Fri Nov 08, 2019 5:34 am
Often I look at a movie and ask, "Why did this need to exist?" but rarely is the answer "Our assets are frozen; might as well use them to make a lousy horror spoof (menacing laugh)":
The movie was financed by Dow Chemical Company, a company rarely associated with film making. Yugoslav law at the time prevented the company from repatriating funds that it had accumulated in the Yugoslav dinar. To free these frozen funds, Dow decided to use them to pay for a film production inside the country. (Wikipedia)
Hey, that's how Disney got into live action filmmaking. It's a weirdly common story.

Gregory

#2502 Post by Gregory » Fri Nov 08, 2019 12:54 pm

Dow or a similar corporation financed Treasure Island and The Story of Robin Hood and His Merrie Men?! What story do you mean?

knives

#2503 Post by knives » Fri Nov 08, 2019 1:00 pm

Not being able to make use of out of country funds so using a film production to get that money back.

whaleallright

#2504 Post by whaleallright » Sat Nov 09, 2019 12:57 am

Gregory wrote:
Fri Nov 08, 2019 5:34 am
Often I look at a movie and ask, "Why did this need to exist?" but rarely is the answer "Our assets are frozen; might as well use them to make a lousy horror spoof (menacing laugh)":
The movie was financed by Dow Chemical Company, a company rarely associated with film making. Yugoslav law at the time prevented the company from repatriating funds that it had accumulated in the Yugoslav dinar. To free these frozen funds, Dow decided to use them to pay for a film production inside the country. (Wikipedia)
The Dow connection is indeed strange, but much Hollywood runaway production can be explained the same way.... A percentage of distribution profits would be frozen in some country, and the studio would shoot a film partly in Spain or Italy or Japan or whatever in order to make use of those funds. Hell, IIRC that's why we got House of Bamboo and many others....

Gregory

#2505 Post by Gregory » Sat Nov 09, 2019 5:49 am

What I was trying (perhaps badly) to say was remarkable was that the company that brought us Agent Orange decided to make a foray into film production, of all things, due to frozen assets, and not too surprisingly the result was one of those movies that potentially embarrasses everyone involved in it—a list that includes some major names.

whaleallright

#2506 Post by whaleallright » Sun Nov 10, 2019 12:59 am

At least it didn't kill anyone (that we know of)...

captveg

#2507 Post by captveg » Wed Nov 13, 2019 3:45 pm

November sales are live.

"While Supplies Last" sale - These are titles that will not be reprinted when stock sells out.

"Noirvember" sale

CantelopeSkiz

#2508 Post by CantelopeSkiz » Wed Nov 13, 2019 4:35 pm

Thank you, they messed up the links on their twitter page, with both of them linking to the Noirvember sale.

onedimension

#2510 Post by onedimension » Thu Nov 21, 2019 6:48 pm

Can’t they throw themselves on the mercy of Kickstarter

tenia
Ask Me About My Bassoon

#2511 Post by tenia » Fri Nov 22, 2019 3:44 am

I think the issue is that the restorations have been performed in SDR, and doing a subsequent HDR pass is way more complicatedthan integrating the HDR grading as part of the restoration's grading process. This is why many available 4K restorations are unlikely to get a later UHD release, since UHD's main selling point has quickly switched from pure resolution upgrade to HDR and WCG, and that most SDR UHDs are received by the audience as mostly unneeded.
onedimension wrote:
Thu Nov 21, 2019 6:48 pm
Can’t they throw themselves on the mercy of Kickstarter
Considering how they struggle enough already with ensuring there is no QC problem on their releases, I suspect doing a Kickstarter campaign and following up on it would be even more out of their resources' reach.

MichaelB

#2512 Post by MichaelB » Fri Nov 22, 2019 5:09 am

I generally think it’s a bad idea for established labels to go down the crowdfunding route unless the project really is very unusual indeed - and in the case of Arrow’s Walerian Borowczyk box, there was the wider issue of Arrow wanting a big eye-catching flagship project to prove that they could be serious players when it came to film restoration.

But it’s well worth noting that they’ve never done this again for an individual project, and I think that that’s wise. Once you go down the crowdfunding route, you end up with hundreds of executive producers, some of whom display a public sense of entitlement that’s way ahead of the minimal amount that they actually put in - which means that if anything goes wrong, the problems are amplified to an extremely unhelpful extent.

captveg

#2513 Post by captveg » Mon Nov 25, 2019 3:09 pm

Noirvember sale is over, but Kino has extended the While Supplies Last sale indefinitely for all the titles.

Pauline at the Beach, specifically, will be unavailable after 12/31/19. (It could also sell out before then).

Glowingwabbit

#2514 Post by Glowingwabbit » Tue Nov 26, 2019 9:34 pm

The December Sale will start on Wednesday December 4th and end on Thursday December 19th. 350+ Blu-rays.

Also, look for Black Friday and Cyber Monday Sales, this Thanksgiving weekend.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#2515 Post by domino harvey » Wed Nov 27, 2019 2:54 am

colinr0380 wrote:
Fri Nov 08, 2019 5:13 am
Ovader wrote:
Wed Nov 06, 2019 2:01 pm
February 11th
Transylvania 6-5000 (1985)
I have been curious about this for a while. From what I have heard it is not very funny at all but is historically interesting. Apparently (according to the Trailer Trauma Volume 4 commentary) this was made in Croatia entirely for the purpose of using up money 'trapped there' that could not be brought back to the United States for 'tax reasons'. And its other claim to fame is that this is the film that Jeff Goldblum and Geena Davis met up and became a couple for a while on. Goldblum received the script for his next film, The Fly, whilst there which Davis read and auditioned for from that.
I... didn't hate it!
domino harvey wrote:
Wed Apr 02, 2014 10:30 pm
Transylvania 6-5000 (Rudy De Luca 1985) Nothing in this movie is half as clever as its title, but I must confess that morbid curiosity gave way to actual enjoyment pretty quickly here. Every actor thankfully got the memo to play their roles to the hilt, and everyone is clearly having a grand time playing to the back rows in this silly bit of fluff about newspaper reporters sent to Transylvania to confirm the rumors of a Frankenstein's monster. This is basically an updated Abbot and Costello vehicle, and Jeff Goldblum and Ed Begley Jr are quite good at striking the pitch of not taking the film seriously but still having fun with their histrionics. The film finds a nice if unlikely twist at the end to further alienate any genre fans who were somehow invested in this as anything other than campy fun. I'm not sure this merits a fully-fledged recommendation, but I did like it. Fun fact from Wikipedia: I guess I haven't noticed since she's always cast with towering co-stars, but apparently (the provocatively attired) Geena Davis is six feet tall!

Glowingwabbit

#2516 Post by Glowingwabbit » Wed Nov 27, 2019 3:11 pm

From bluray.com:
Coming February 18th!
Two Classics by Joseph Losey!

The Criminal (1960) aka The Concrete Jungle
• Brand New 4K Restoration
• NEW Audio Commentary by Film Historian Kat Ellinger

Accident (1967)

Glowingwabbit

#2517 Post by Glowingwabbit » Mon Dec 02, 2019 2:29 pm

Kino announced two Chabrol's coming on February 25th (One we knew about but I don't remember Line of Demarcation ever being announced)
THE THIRD LOVER (1962) aka L’OEIL DU MALIN

LINE OF DEMARCATION (1966) aka LA LIGNE DE DÉMARCATION
• NEW Audio Commentary by Film Historian Samm Deighan

therewillbeblus

#2518 Post by therewillbeblus » Mon Dec 02, 2019 3:03 pm

I'm pretty sure it was hinted at pretty recently, unless I'm mistaken. Either way, it's nice to see more early Chabrol getting restored!

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#2519 Post by domino harvey » Mon Dec 02, 2019 3:52 pm

It was announced months ago. Dreading the Ellinger commentary, but I’ll be only too happy to be proved wrong if it’s worthwhile. Hopefully these sell well enough for KL to upgrade their ancient releases of A double tour and Les bonnes femmes

therewillbeblus

#2520 Post by therewillbeblus » Mon Dec 02, 2019 4:04 pm

What are the chances that we'll ever get the French version of Les bonnes femmes? And will anyone (outside of forum member Nabob) ever be able to properly subtitle the linguistic-specific joke between the two men in the car?

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#2521 Post by domino harvey » Mon Dec 02, 2019 4:07 pm

If KL license a new master, they’ll have to use the same source as the circulating full French version (their DVD print is a hard-subbed original US theatrical copy), so no worries there. KL said they still had the rights and were looking into releasing it on Blu

tenia
Ask Me About My Bassoon

#2522 Post by tenia » Mon Dec 02, 2019 4:27 pm

What's fascinating is that many Chabrol movies are pretty much blocked in France by the rightholders, who got money for restoring them about a decade ago but seemingly never did. I'm not sure if those are part of the concerned movies, but at this rate, Kino might get more Chabrol restored than we got in France.

swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

#2523 Post by swo17 » Wed Dec 04, 2019 6:29 pm

Glowingwabbit wrote:
Tue Nov 26, 2019 9:34 pm
The December Sale will start on Wednesday December 4th and end on Thursday December 19th. 350+ Blu-rays.
Is this sale still happening?

Glowingwabbit

#2524 Post by Glowingwabbit » Wed Dec 04, 2019 6:36 pm

swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

#2525 Post by swo17 » Wed Dec 04, 2019 6:37 pm

Thanks!