Crit Mess in July: A Dynamic History of the Time Criterion Didn't Make Announcements on the 15th, 16th, or 17th

News on Criterion and Janus Films.
Godzamera

Re: Crit Mess in July: A Dynamic History of the Time Criterion Didn't Make Announcements on the 15th, 16th, or 17th

#401 Post by Godzamera » Fri Jul 19, 2019 11:32 am

I'd like to see a Criterion release of Okja (Netflix). I'd like to see a Bong Joon-ho box set.

Blutarsky

Re: Crit Mess in July: A Dynamic History of the Time Criterion Didn't Make Announcements on the 15th, 16th, or 17th

#402 Post by Blutarsky » Fri Jul 19, 2019 12:18 pm

Graphist wrote:
Thu Jul 18, 2019 4:46 pm
Not that I mind Roma (loved the film and it’s worth the inclusion), but for #1000 I was hoping to see Buñuel or something along those lines.
Who knows Graphiste? Los Olvidados and Nazarin were both recently restored. WCP and Criterion are tight, and Los Olvidados has yet to have a proper release in the US. On top of that Viridiana changed packaging.

Graphist

#403 Post by Graphist » Sat Jul 20, 2019 2:43 am

Blutarsky wrote:On top of that Viridiana changed packaging.
What do you mean?

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#404 Post by domino harvey » Sat Jul 20, 2019 3:37 am

A few days ago Blutarsky said the cover had been updated to reflect the wacky C, but if so they've apparently changed it back to the original on their website

Graphist

#405 Post by Graphist » Sat Jul 20, 2019 4:09 am

That’s really exciting! Plus, it has been a while they released a Buñuel, if I am not mistaken.

But what are the chances of announcing two major boxsets in one month: the Godzilla one and another box for Buñuel? Considering also they just upgraded the von Sternberg set.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#406 Post by domino harvey » Sat Jul 20, 2019 4:12 am

As much as I'd love for a box set of Bunuel titles to be coming, I doubt it. But there are few things I'd rather be wronger about

Graphist

#407 Post by Graphist » Sat Jul 20, 2019 4:33 am

Yes, I would love a Buñuel set myself (maybe in the same format and presentation as their successful Bergmania boxset), but I doubt it would come out so soon.

I know for sure one thing, Criterion is trolling us majorly and they are enjoying it.

Are there any news from the Toho Comic-Con event? Probably not, or they would be all over FB.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#408 Post by domino harvey » Sat Jul 20, 2019 4:38 am

That's the best part of these rumors: After all the speculation on timing, turns out there was no presentation: Toho just had a booth at the con!

Graphist

#409 Post by Graphist » Sat Jul 20, 2019 5:12 am

The title says Toho opened its first booth as part of a master plan. I just checked the dates for the San Diego CC event, and the last day is this coming Monday. If we connect the dots it looks like on Monday Godzillas will be taking home the coveted number.

The hangover will start on Tuesday.

Blutarsky

#411 Post by Blutarsky » Sat Jul 20, 2019 1:39 pm

domino harvey wrote:
Sat Jul 20, 2019 3:37 am
A few days ago Blutarsky said the cover had been updated to reflect the wacky C, but if so they've apparently changed it back to the original on their website
The website and retailers always have the original 1999-2006 The Criterion Collection on their releases even if packaging changes. If I recall, when Le Samouraï was going through that mix up, it had the original logo on websites but it had the wacky C on a DVD I got for a friend. Same for Band of Outsiders, which the site hasn’t changed it to the wacky C and it has been wacky C-Ed for a while. I doubt though Buñuel will get a boxset from the collection. You could celebrate 90 years of Un Chien Andalou or next year with L’age D’or, yet with rights and source limitations it will take a while to be a cross between Bergman and Sternberg/Dietrich.

On another topic I am a native San Diegan, and for once I am actually here in town during the con. I have tickets for tomorrow. I will try to scope out any information in regards to Toho and Godzilla, even if Monday is the speculated release info. The amount of effort to declassify Spine 1000.

Godzamera

#412 Post by Godzamera » Sat Jul 20, 2019 7:55 pm

Blutarsky wrote:
domino harvey wrote:
Sat Jul 20, 2019 3:37 am
The website and retailers always have the original 1999-2006 The Criterion Collection on their releases even if packaging changes. If I recall, when Le Samouraï was going through that mix up, it had the original logo on websites but it had the wacky C on a DVD I got for a friend. Same for Band of Outsiders, which the site hasn’t changed it to the wacky C and it has been wacky C-Ed for a while. I doubt though Buñuel will get a boxset from the collection. You could celebrate 90 years of Un Chien Andalou or next year with L’age D’or, yet with rights and source limitations it will take a while to be a cross between Bergman and Sternberg/Dietrich.

On another topic I am a native San Diegan, and for once I am actually here in town during the con. I have tickets for tomorrow. I will try to scope out any information in regards to Toho and Godzilla, even if Monday is the speculated release info. The amount of effort to declassify Spine 1000.
Keep your eyes and ears open for hints. And any other senses that would be needed.

BobdH

#413 Post by BobdH » Sun Jul 21, 2019 1:38 pm

Just a thought: the announcement of the October titles had an unusual delay, right? They even said they'd announce on Wednesday, a promise which had to be broken, and a promise that "an announcement" would be done the next day, without committing to announcing the October line-up just yet.

And when the titles were finally announced, none of these titles seem to have warranted that unusual delay. This seems to point towards that they originally intended to announce spine nr. 1.000 as part of that October announcement, but since something withheld from that announcement, they had to last-minute withdraw the 1.000 title from the announcement.

Now, if it had been their intention to announce a Godzilla-box at one of these convention presentations, they would've planned from the start that nr. 1.000 would never be part of the October titles announcement, but would be announced next week. In which case there wouldn't have been a hold-up of the October announcement - or, not such a weird delay, with a promise to announce it tomorrow, or, no, sorry, tomorrow.

So either it was one of those 4 titles that delayed the announcement, or the title doesn't necessarily have anything to do with these conventions. And since that seems to be the biggest argument for this being Godzilla...

mfunk9786
Under Chris' Protection

#416 Post by mfunk9786 » Mon Jul 22, 2019 11:00 am

Guys, we've had this Target link posted in three different threads now. For the sake of everyone's sanity, I'm locking this thread since the preponderance of October releases have already been announced. Please go back to using the regular rumors thread, and of course, keep in mind that literally everyone already knows this Godzilla set is coming