Kino Lorber Studio Classics

Vinegar Syndrome, Deaf Crocodile, Imprint, Cinema Guild, and more.
Kino Insider

Re: Kino Lorber Studio Classics Acquisitions

#1451 Post by Kino Insider » Wed Sep 05, 2018 1:24 pm

Coming Soon on Blu-ray!
4 Oscar Nominations - Actress (Moore) | Original Screenplay (Haynes) | Cinematography (Lachman) | Score (Bernstein)

Far from Heaven (2002) Starring Julianne Moore, Dennis Quaid, Dennis Haysbert, Patricia Clarkson and Viola Davis - Shot by Edward Lachman (The Limey, The Virgin Suicides) - Music by Elmer Bernstein (The Age of Innocence, The Magnificent Seven) - Written and Directed by Todd Haynes (Carol, Velvet Goldmine).
Last edited by Kino Insider on Wed Sep 05, 2018 1:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

HitchcockLang

#1452 Post by HitchcockLang » Wed Sep 05, 2018 1:27 pm

Great! I was just looking for this film recently and was a bit surprised it hadn't been released on blu-ray yet.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#1453 Post by domino harvey » Wed Sep 05, 2018 1:31 pm

It was in Canada, but I think it was 1080i

cdnchris
Site Admin

#1454 Post by cdnchris » Wed Sep 05, 2018 1:46 pm

Most of the Alliance blu-rays are 1080i so it probably is/was.

Cremildo

#1455 Post by Cremildo » Wed Sep 05, 2018 2:51 pm

Much like Altman's Gosford Park, which will be released by another company in November, Far from Heaven has been one of the most inexplicable Blu-ray absences in America, a release I've been daydreaming about almost since the dawn of the format. Surely the transfer will be better than the Canadian one. Major announcement, and props to Kino.

Kino Insider

#1456 Post by Kino Insider » Fri Sep 07, 2018 11:38 am

Coming Soon!
First Time on DVD and Blu-ray!

The Midnight Man (1974) Starring Burt Lancaster, Susan Clark, Cameron Mitchell, Morgan Woodward, Harris Yulin, Robert Quarry, Joan Lorring, Ed Lauter, Mills Watson, Charles Tyner and Catherine Bach - Shot by Jack Priestley (Across 110th Street, No Way to Treat a Lady) - Music by Dave Grusin (The Nickel Ride, Fuzz) - Produced, Written and Directed by Burt Lancaster (The Kentuckian) and Roland Kibbee (The Crimson Pirate).

Coming 2019 on Blu-ray!

Stick (1985) Starring Burt Reynolds, Candice Bergen, George Segal, Charles Durning, Richard Lawson, Alex Rocco and Dar Robinson - Shot by Nick McLean (City Heat) - Screenplay by Elmore Leonard (52 Pick-Up) and Joseph Stinson (Sudden Impact) - Based on a Novel by Leonard - Directed by Burt Reynolds (Gator).

Kino Insider

#1457 Post by Kino Insider » Mon Sep 10, 2018 5:15 pm

Coming to DVD and Blu-ray on November 20th from Kino Classics and The Library of Congress!

PIONEERS: FIRST WOMEN FILMMAKERS
Executive Producer: Illeana Douglas

A monumental 6-disc set including over 50 films, accompanied by an 80-page booklet.

In the early decades of cinema, some of the most innovative and celebrated filmmakers in America were women. Alice Guy-Blaché helped establish the basics of cinematic language, while others boldly continued its development: slapstick queen Mabel Normand, action star Grace Cunard, and LGBTQ icon Alla Nazimova. Unafraid of controversy, filmmakers such as Lois Weber and Dorothy Davenport Reid tackled explosive issues such as birth control, abortion, and prostituion. This crucial chapter of film history comes alive through the presentation of a wide assortment of films (spanning 1911-1929), carefully curated, meticulously restored in 2K and 4K archival sources, and presented with new musical scores.

Special features (DVD and Blu-ray):
*80-page booklet with essays and photos
*Interviews with historians and archivists
*Musical scores by Renee C. Baker, The Berklee Silent Film Orchestra, Makia Matsumura, Maud Nelissen, Dana Reason, Aleksandra Vrebalov, and others

DVD (6 discs)
*Total Running Time approx. 1,320 minutes

Blu-ray (6 discs) - over six additional hours of material
*Total Running Time approx. 1,710 minutes

Disc 1: Alice Guy-Blaché
Disc 2: Lois Weber
Disc 3: Genre Pioneers
Disc 4: Social Commentary (Part 1)
Disc 5: Social Commentary (Part 2)
Disc 6: The Feature Film

Curator: Shelley Stamp
Producer: Bret Wood

FrauBlucher

#1458 Post by FrauBlucher » Mon Sep 10, 2018 5:24 pm

This looks terrific!

Kino Insider

#1459 Post by Kino Insider » Tue Sep 11, 2018 2:27 pm

Coming Soon on Blu-ray!

Bend of the River (1952) Starring James Stewart, Rock Hudson, Arthur Kennedy, Julie Adams, Jay C. Flippen, Lori Nelson, Chubby Johnson, Stepin Fetchit, Harry Morgan and Royal Dano - Shot in Glorious Technicolor by Irving Glassberg (The Tarnished Angels) - Screenplay by Borden Chase (Man Without a Star) - Directed by Anthony Mann (Man of the West).

Roscoe

#1460 Post by Roscoe » Tue Sep 11, 2018 2:47 pm

Kino Insider wrote:
Mon Sep 10, 2018 5:15 pm
Coming to DVD and Blu-ray on November 20th from Kino Classics and The Library of Congress!

A monumental 6-disc set including over 50 films, accompanied by an 80-page booklet.

In the early decades of cinema, some of the most innovative and celebrated filmmakers in America were women. Alice Guy-Blaché helped establish the basics of cinematic language, while others boldly continued its development: slapstick queen Mabel Normand, action star Grace Cunard, and LGBTQ icon Alla Nazimova. Unafraid of controversy, filmmakers such as Lois Weber and Dorothy Davenport Reid tackled explosive issues such as birth control, abortion, and prostituion. This crucial chapter of film history comes alive through the presentation of a wide assortment of films (spanning 1911-1929), carefully curated, meticulously restored in 2K and 4K archival sources, and presented with new musical scores.

*Musical scores by Renee C. Baker, The Berklee Silent Film Orchestra, Makia Matsumura, Maud Nelissen, Dana Reason, Aleksandra Vrebalov, and others

DVD (6 discs)

It'll be interesting see how it compares to this:

https://www.flickeralley.com/classic-mo ... y=20414531

senseabove

#1461 Post by senseabove » Tue Sep 11, 2018 3:22 pm

Roscoe wrote:
Tue Sep 11, 2018 2:47 pm
Kino Insider wrote:
Mon Sep 10, 2018 5:15 pm

SpoilerShow

DVD (6 discs)

It'll be interesting see how it compares to this:

https://www.flickeralley.com/classic-mo ... y=20414531
The producers shared notes to avoid overlap, and got it down to only one film being included in both sets, though I don't think anyone's said which one. I just saw a program of Germaine Dulac shorts last week, and I'm hoping a few of her others make it in on here. The Flicker Alley has La Cigarette and La Souriante Mme. Beudet, so I'm hoping La Coquille et le clergyman and some of the more experimental shorts get included on this one. Also hoping for more Arzner, Normand, and Deren...

Roscoe

#1462 Post by Roscoe » Tue Sep 11, 2018 4:31 pm

senseabove wrote:
Tue Sep 11, 2018 3:22 pm
The producers shared notes to avoid overlap, and got it down to only one film being included in both sets, though I don't think anyone's said which one. I just saw a program of Germaine Dulac shorts last week, and I'm hoping a few of her others make it in on here. The Flicker Alley has La Cigarette and La Souriante Mme. Beudet, so I'm hoping La Coquille et le clergyman and some of the more experimental shorts get included on this one. Also hoping for more Arzner, Normand, and Deren...
The trailer for the Kino release includes a clip from Weber's SUSPENSE, which is also in the Flicker Alley set, so that's very likely it. Unless it isn't.

ianthemovie

#1463 Post by ianthemovie » Tue Sep 11, 2018 4:37 pm

I'm guessing the box set will include the films from the recent retrospective of the same name.

I watched a bunch of Lois Weber's films a few years ago and found them to be really interesting. Where Are My Children? in particular is amazing! It would be great to have that on Blu.

Roscoe

#1464 Post by Roscoe » Tue Sep 11, 2018 4:45 pm

Milestone put out a couple of Weber's films recently, a splendid little social-issue film entitled SHOES, and a more romantic historical epic THE DUMB GIRL OF PORTICI. Well worth checking out.

ianthemovie

#1465 Post by ianthemovie » Tue Sep 11, 2018 10:15 pm

The Milestone Blu of Shoes is in my kevyip as we speak!

Gregory

#1466 Post by Gregory » Wed Sep 12, 2018 2:43 am

senseabove wrote:
Tue Sep 11, 2018 3:22 pm
The producers shared notes to avoid overlap, and got it down to only one film being included in both sets, though I don't think anyone's said which one. I just saw a program of Germaine Dulac shorts last week, and I'm hoping a few of her others make it in on here. The Flicker Alley has La Cigarette and La Souriante Mme. Beudet, so I'm hoping La Coquille et le clergyman and some of the more experimental shorts get included on this one.
This is a set of American films only, I believe.
I look forward to the list of what's to be included.

Kino Insider

#1467 Post by Kino Insider » Wed Sep 12, 2018 12:58 pm

Coming in 2019!
First Time on DVD and Blu-ray!

Naked Alibi (1954) Starring Sterling Hayden, Gloria Grahame, Gene Barry, Marcia Henderson, Max Showalter, Billy Chapin and Chuck Connors - Shot by Russell Metty (Touch of Evil) - Screenplay by Lawrence Roman (A Kiss Before Dying) - Directed by Jerry Hopper (Secret of the Incas).

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#1468 Post by domino harvey » Wed Sep 12, 2018 1:00 pm

An absolutely ridiculous noir, though why is a major spoiler

mteller

#1469 Post by mteller » Wed Sep 12, 2018 1:04 pm

I've forgotten everything about that film (I went through a huge noir binge several years ago and a lot of the movies are just one big chiaroscuro blur now) but apparently I really liked it!

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#1470 Post by domino harvey » Wed Sep 12, 2018 1:08 pm

It's very similar to a lot of the other "Brutal cop goes too far" noirs, only here
SpoilerShow
the lily white innocent guy he's relentlessly pursuing turns out to indeed be guilty. This would be clever if it weren't for Hayden falling for every trap the criminal sets for him, showing that he couldn't possibly be a smart cop and just lucked out that the guy he was leaning on so heavily turned out to be guilty

jazzo

#1471 Post by jazzo » Wed Sep 12, 2018 1:42 pm

Kino are doing Mann's Bend of the River:
Kino Lorber have confirmed that they are preparing a Blu-ray release of Anthony Mann's classic western Bend of the River (1952), starring James Stewart, Arthur Kennedy, Rock Hudson, Lori Nelson, and Chubby Johnson. The release is expected to arrive on the market later this year.

Glowingwabbit

#1472 Post by Glowingwabbit » Wed Sep 12, 2018 3:02 pm

jazzo wrote:
Wed Sep 12, 2018 1:42 pm
Kino are doing Mann's Bend of the River:
Kino Lorber have confirmed that they are preparing a Blu-ray release of Anthony Mann's classic western Bend of the River (1952), starring James Stewart, Arthur Kennedy, Rock Hudson, Lori Nelson, and Chubby Johnson. The release is expected to arrive on the market later this year.
This was announced already a few posts up by KLinsider

senseabove

#1473 Post by senseabove » Wed Sep 12, 2018 8:44 pm

Gregory wrote:
Wed Sep 12, 2018 2:43 am
This is a set of American films only, I believe.
I look forward to the list of what's to be included.
Oh, interesting... looking at that BAM series, other than the first film, which is Canadian, they do look to be all American films, though it seems the only real indication of that is "some of the most innovative and celebrated filmmakers in America were women."

Gregory

#1474 Post by Gregory » Wed Sep 12, 2018 8:55 pm

The 2016 Kickstarter described it as "A collection of landmark American films directed by women..."

ianthemovie

#1475 Post by ianthemovie » Sun Sep 16, 2018 11:55 am