Ready Player One (Steven Spielberg, 2018)

Discussions of specific films and franchises.
Big Ben

Re: Ready Player One (Steven Spielberg, 2018)

#51 Post by Big Ben » Sun Dec 10, 2017 5:46 pm

Seeing Mark Rylance in that wig makes me wonder how Spielberg sold him on it.

"Yo Mark we'll pay you $30,000 to wear a blonde wig and say some shit dryly into the camera."

"SAY NO MORE."

flyonthewall2983

#52 Post by flyonthewall2983 » Sun Dec 10, 2017 5:51 pm

At least there appears to be some semblance of a plot going on.

CSM126

#53 Post by CSM126 » Sun Dec 10, 2017 6:44 pm

Re: that poster. Why is his leg six feet long? How did anyone not catch that and say no? Yeesh.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#54 Post by domino harvey » Sun Dec 10, 2017 6:59 pm

Never Cursed
Such is life on board the Redoutable

#55 Post by Never Cursed » Sun Dec 10, 2017 8:22 pm

domino harvey wrote:Stop body shaming!
As one of the commenters said, I can't wait to see Ready Player Seven Foot One

Ribs

#56 Post by Ribs » Sun Dec 10, 2017 9:46 pm

The internet has decided before footage even broke this film is bad, so that means it's probably a masterpiece

(As I mentioned in the Awards Season thread re: The Post, no one hates vintage Spielberg and what he did to Hollywood more than Spielberg, and therein many seem to be mistaking the clear "nostalgia will ruin society!" message that drew Spielberg to this and taking it as a "nostalgia is cool I love the 80's!" thing.)

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#57 Post by domino harvey » Sun Dec 10, 2017 9:49 pm

They didn't decide so arbitrarily, dude... did you read the source excerpts in this thread?

knives

#58 Post by knives » Sun Dec 10, 2017 9:59 pm

Or watch the trailers. Even if the elements you cite are interesting it seems like the package it comes in is just annoying.

aox

#59 Post by aox » Sun Dec 10, 2017 10:01 pm

I've only read about this film, but I think it is a masterpiece.

Big Ben

#60 Post by Big Ben » Sun Dec 10, 2017 10:06 pm

I don't know how old everyone on this forum is but I'm fairly certain I'm the target audience. This movie has been deliberately altered to be even more appealing to people my age with say the inclusion (right at the end) of a video game character from the very popular Overwatch. It's an already fan fiction level text with what appears to be a fresh coat of paint. I feel rather confused at the notion that is even trying to appeal to people like me. And to be quite frank it appears quite a few others do as well. It's getting roasted everywhere.

Ribs

#61 Post by Ribs » Sun Dec 10, 2017 10:40 pm

domino harvey wrote:They didn't decide so arbitrarily, dude... did you read the source excerpts in this thread?
...do you really think the quality of the book has any bearing whatsoever on the film, especially with Spielberg at the helm? The man's spent decades atoning for making big blockbusters, it would be a very strange pivot to suddenly just go back to doing that without any kind of critical eye whatsoever. Of course the film would be sold on that nostalgic element but it's pretty clear to me there's a deliberate bait-and-switch with regards to audience expectations here.

The internet deciding *anything* is dumb is dumb, in practically every instance. Feel free to feel how you feel, but the viral pages from the book from a few months back infuriated me as just a dumb pile-on devoid of any context.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#62 Post by domino harvey » Sun Dec 10, 2017 10:47 pm

Literally not one fucking thing about this project, in conception or realization, looks like anything less than an experience equivalent to drinking dog vomit

Ribs

#63 Post by Ribs » Sun Dec 10, 2017 10:58 pm

But that is deliberate that's my entire point you're supposed to hate that it's just all of pop culture all happening at once for no reason, the end-point of post-modernism, because it's a legitimate nightmare

I'm also legitimately, non-ironically excited for the Greatest Showman, incidentally.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#64 Post by domino harvey » Sun Dec 10, 2017 11:03 pm

Is this performance art?

Never Cursed
Such is life on board the Redoutable

#65 Post by Never Cursed » Sun Dec 10, 2017 11:31 pm

Ribs wrote:
domino harvey wrote:They didn't decide so arbitrarily, dude... did you read the source excerpts in this thread?
...do you really think the quality of the book has any bearing whatsoever on the film, especially with Spielberg at the helm? The man's spent decades atoning for making big blockbusters, it would be a very strange pivot to suddenly just go back to doing that without any kind of critical eye whatsoever. Of course the film would be sold on that nostalgic element but it's pretty clear to me there's a deliberate bait-and-switch with regards to audience expectations here.

The internet deciding *anything* is dumb is dumb, in practically every instance. Feel free to feel how you feel, but the viral pages from the book from a few months back infuriated me as just a dumb pile-on devoid of any context.
Book and movie are separate, sure, but both seem to be hot piles of frankly embarrassing garbage for similar reasons. And give me a break with the "atoning for blockbusters" nonsense; Spielberg directed one less than 10 years ago, is currently slated to direct a sequel for release in 2020, and has been producing the Transformers movies for years. There doesn't have to be a bait-and-switch where this movie is secretly a colossal, 200 million dollar subversion of expectations. It could just be a bad movie, like it appears to be. Even a broken clock is right twice a day, and sometimes the internet isn't too far off the mark.

dx23

#66 Post by dx23 » Mon Dec 11, 2017 12:29 am

This film looks like Roger Rabbit and Willy Wonka had a kid while using steroids in a bad way. While the cartoon characters showing up in Roger Rabbit felt organic, in Ready Player One it looks like they are there just for the "oooh, oohhh, look at that! Freddy Krueger hanging out with the Joker while King Kong fights with the Iron Giant who's driving the Delorean who's racing KITT, the Batmobile and the Dukes of Hazard that being driven by a Gremlin and in the back seat is Rainbow Brite, a Gloworm and Teddy Ruxpin, who's playing music from Huey Lewis and the News and drinking New Coke!!!!".

Why would Spielberg do this kind of film from a very weak source?

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#67 Post by domino harvey » Mon Dec 11, 2017 12:38 am

That I can't tell if the above is an exaggeration or an accurate description of the material is also telling

swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

#68 Post by swo17 » Mon Dec 11, 2017 12:41 am

To play devil's advocate, the end of The LEGO Batman Movie took a similar approach to what's being described here, but didn't take the concept far enough for it to work.

Ribs

#69 Post by Ribs » Mon Dec 11, 2017 1:07 am

I really enjoyed the Lego Batman movie but I found of the three Lego movies so far it integrated it's "real-world" gimmick the worst. It kind of fit the product, though, considering it's whole approach to Batman was "all of Batman has already happened, and can therefore be drawn upon" to also add in the WB roster plus the Daleks for whatever reason. Plus it was just a generally kind of lame resolution through no fault of the decision to do the whole mix-up thing.

Again, I'm just highly skeptical of the tone of much of this criticism. dx23 is just using modest hyperbole to describe a potential scene which is admittedly not too far off from the mark as far as I understand it, but I really do think there's basically nothing about this material that would appeal to Spielberg unless his approach is one that's deeply critical of what he's turned the culture into.

PS, his last blockbuster was his most recent film, which was small despite being a 100-million-dollar film that I think it does show Spielberg's development to more modesty. Before that, you could class Tintin a blockbuster (which is exceptional, but really pushing buttons for a different kind of big-budget than what Hollywood's opted for) but I expect you were referring to Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull, undoubtedly the second-best Indy film and one with a deeply complex, shattered portrait of its hero as he's aged. I'm not entirely in the tank for everything he's done (War Horse is the obvious duff one, and I'm not big on Lincoln though it's plainly admirable) but clearly anyone who cares about film should be willing to take Spielberg at his word for telling a story worth seeing, especially when he's decided to go all-out and make possibly his biggest ever movie (again, I think by design).

dda1996a

#71 Post by dda1996a » Mon Dec 11, 2017 1:25 am

Am I the only to get a big Spy-Kids: 3D vibe from trailer?

wattsup32

#72 Post by wattsup32 » Mon Dec 11, 2017 2:16 am

That surpassed the source material in concept, quality, and execution.

colinr0380

#73 Post by colinr0380 » Mon Dec 11, 2017 4:35 am

I liked the trailer as well (of course!), and it really is looking as if this car chase scene that features prominently so far but was not in the book is going to be the big setpiece action scene that Spielberg is going to bring to the adaptation (maybe the equivalent big mid-film setpiece to the chase in Minority Report or the car-boat chase of Kingdom of the Crystal Skull?). Though the aspect of the trailer that most caught my attention would seem to hints that Olivia Cooke's character is going to play a bit more of an active role in the action, compared to being a rather more distant (and almost unknowable in her motivations through Wade's eyes) figure in the book. From the brief hints in the trailer it seems as if the romantic angle will be played up a bit more here.

All the pop culture aspects look fun too, though these are just avatars more than the actual characters (though I guess it could be argued that the difference is a bit moot!), and it will be about what people behind the fantasy images do with their avatars that should be the most important thing about them. Similarly I like the music cues, but I'm still waiting for the perfect Moody Blues 80s song to show up!
Last edited by colinr0380 on Thu Dec 14, 2017 2:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Oedipax

#74 Post by Oedipax » Mon Dec 11, 2017 12:24 pm

wattsup32 wrote:
That surpassed the source material in concept, quality, and execution.
I thought it was going to be this (also excellent).

Big Ben

#75 Post by Big Ben » Mon Dec 11, 2017 5:25 pm

In what many of you will no doubt perceive as an active threat the original author is writing a sequel novel.

Better hope this movie isn't successful or we'll have Ready 2: Electric Boogaloo!