888 Stalker

Discuss releases by Criterion and the films on them. Threads may contain spoilers!
beamish13

Re: Stalker (Andrei Tarkovsky, 1979)

#101 Post by beamish13 » Sat Jul 09, 2016 1:48 am

Roadside Picnic being re-adapted from the writer of Transcendence

:roll:

Minkin

Forthcoming: Stalker

#102 Post by Minkin » Fri Aug 05, 2016 6:50 pm

Tarkovsky's Stalker has been confirmed to be with Criterion by both Mosfilm and is also streaming with Criterion/Janus logo on Filmstruck.

Might this give any hope for Kino's other Tarkovsky titles - Nostalghia, The Sacrifice, and The Mirror? Between this and Dersu Uzala, it seems like Criterion might have a new deal with Mosfilm.

sir_luke

Forthcoming: Discussion and Random Speculation Volume 7

#103 Post by sir_luke » Fri Aug 05, 2016 7:09 pm

Minkin wrote:it seems like Criterion might have a new deal with Mosfilm.
Which reinvigorates my hope, however foolish, of a Criterion release of Bondarchuk's War and Peace.

jwd5275

Re: Forthcoming: Discussion and Random Speculation Volume 7

#104 Post by jwd5275 » Fri Aug 05, 2016 8:49 pm

Minkin wrote:Might this give any hope for Kino's other Tarkovsky titles - Nostalghia, The Sacrifice, and The Mirror? Between this and Dersu Uzala, it seems like Criterion might have a new deal with Mosfilm.
Good chances for The Mirror, but weren't the other two with other production companies with The Sacrifice after his exile?

AfterTheRain

#105 Post by AfterTheRain » Sat Aug 06, 2016 3:10 pm

sir_luke wrote:
Minkin wrote:it seems like Criterion might have a new deal with Mosfilm.
Which reinvigorates my hope, however foolish, of a Criterion release of Bondarchuk's War and Peace.
Also, my hopes for Bondarchuk's Waterloo.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#106 Post by domino harvey » Sat Aug 06, 2016 5:39 pm

As if we needed more confirmation, Mister Lime confirmed Stalker is with Criterion

criterion10

Re: Forthcoming: Stalker

#107 Post by criterion10 » Sat Aug 06, 2016 9:32 pm

Incredible news. Stalker is easily my favorite Tarkovsky.

I wonder if there's a chance they have The Mirror as well. (I'm assuming Nostalghia and The Sacrifice will remain with Kino indefinitely.)

peerpee
not perpee

#108 Post by peerpee » Sun Aug 07, 2016 5:57 pm

Wonderful news! Bodes really well for a definitive RUBLEV set (the two wildly different cuts) and MIRROR.

Drucker
Your Future our Drucker

#109 Post by Drucker » Sun Aug 07, 2016 6:40 pm

Well I was totally wrong about the rights of these Tarkovskys, and I'm happy about that. Could Criterion be doing what BFI/MOC seemed to be doing, with licensing the same films but different restorations? If so, couldn't that put every Kino Tarkovsky in play?

peerpee
not perpee

#110 Post by peerpee » Sun Aug 07, 2016 6:56 pm

It's puts every *Russian* Tarkovsky KINO in play (so just STALKER and MIRROR)

But what it also does, is possibly free up Klimov's COME & SEE.

A Criterion COME & SEE Blu-ray is what we need.

knives

#111 Post by knives » Sun Aug 07, 2016 6:59 pm

Also his Agony and Farewell which in the former case is more exciting for me.

ianungstad

#112 Post by ianungstad » Sun Aug 07, 2016 7:28 pm

Well Criterion uploaded all those phantom pages for Russian directors earlier this year which lead to speculation at the time that they may have acquired the rights to War and Peace and Come & See. Even if at the time such ideas were dismissed due to films being with Kino; it seems to have been a harbinger of things to come.

jwd5275

#113 Post by jwd5275 » Mon Aug 08, 2016 6:28 pm

The Steamroller and the Violin is likely with Criterion too. Far more interesting is that I am Cuba is no longer listed on the Milestone website. If it's not still with Milestone, Criterion probably picked it up.

Yakushima

#114 Post by Yakushima » Thu Aug 11, 2016 2:57 pm

These screenshots from Criterion's version of Stalker streaming on Filmstruck were posted on a Russian film discussion board at http://www.vobzor.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; few days ago.
They are low-res screengrabs from ipad, still they look infinitely superior to any of the previous releases on home video. High hopes for the eventual CC Blu-Ray!

aox

#115 Post by aox » Thu Aug 11, 2016 8:01 pm

This is a dream come true for me.
peerpee wrote:
But what it also does, is possibly free up Klimov's COME & SEE.

A Criterion COME & SEE Blu-ray is what we need.
WOW. That would be incredible.

Moe Dickstein

#116 Post by Moe Dickstein » Fri Aug 12, 2016 3:51 pm

If you really want Nostalghia on Criterion, there's always the laserdisc...

Yakushima

#117 Post by Yakushima » Mon Aug 15, 2016 1:36 pm

While we are waiting for Criterion's "Stalker" here is a wonderful new book I would like to recommend: "Costumes for the Films of Andrei Tarkovsky" by Nelli Fomina (Cygnnet, 2015). It is bilingual (Russian/English) volume, beautifully illustrated and containing many invaluable accounts by Andrey Tarkovsky associates Nelli Fomina and Sergei Naugolnykh, in particular about filming process of "Stalker". I found out about this book by a lucky chance on Nostalgia.com

Here is synopsis from Cignnet's page:

"Published for the first time in a single volume are the sketches and photographs from the archive of Nelli Fomina, who designed the costumes for the films of Andrei Tarkovsky and was the director’s friend and ‘right-hand woman’ for many years. She contributed to the creation of films which were to become classics of world cinema: Solaris, The Mirror and Stalker. Her reminiscences contain many previously unknown details regarding the creation of these films. This book is not just a masterclass of how to use costume for the projection of the unique characters in those pictures, but also a ‘photograph album’. A large part of the book consists of photographs taken by Nelli Fomina on sets used for Stalker, which are reprinted here exclusively. Another important part of this volume brings the reader the reminiscences of Sergei Naugolnykh, who worked as the assistant camera man on Stalker. He shares with the reader his observations about how complex production issues were resolved on set."

https://vimeo.com/132008059" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

solaris72

#118 Post by solaris72 » Wed Aug 31, 2016 3:58 pm

Posted to reddit today. If legit it confirms what was already suspected around here.
Last edited by solaris72 on Wed Aug 31, 2016 4:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

bradass

#119 Post by bradass » Wed Aug 31, 2016 4:06 pm

That email says that rights were licensed to UK and AU territories as well. Is it likely that Artificial Eye wanted to get out editions before their rights expire, not using the recent restorations?

FrauBlucher

#120 Post by FrauBlucher » Wed Aug 31, 2016 4:16 pm

Does that mean a redo for Solaris and Ivan's Childhood?

jedgeco

#121 Post by jedgeco » Wed Aug 31, 2016 4:21 pm

bradass wrote:Is it likely that Artificial Eye wanted to get out editions before their rights expire, not using the recent restorations?
Hopefully, because the alternative explanation is that the Jon Mulvaney of Mosfilm is wrong/misunderstood.

dda1996a

#122 Post by dda1996a » Wed Aug 31, 2016 4:27 pm

SpoilerShow
Yakushima wrote:While we are waiting for Criterion's "Stalker" here is a wonderful new book I would like to recommend: "Costumes for the Films of Andrei Tarkovsky" by Nelli Fomina (Cygnnet, 2015). It is bilingual (Russian/English) volume, beautifully illustrated and containing many invaluable accounts by Andrey Tarkovsky associates Nelli Fomina and Sergei Naugolnykh, in particular about filming process of "Stalker". I found out about this book by a lucky chance on Nostalgia.com

Here is synopsis from Cignnet's page:

"Published for the first time in a single volume are the sketches and photographs from the archive of Nelli Fomina, who designed the costumes for the films of Andrei Tarkovsky and was the director’s friend and ‘right-hand woman’ for many years. She contributed to the creation of films which were to become classics of world cinema: Solaris, The Mirror and Stalker. Her reminiscences contain many previously unknown details regarding the creation of these films. This book is not just a masterclass of how to use costume for the projection of the unique characters in those pictures, but also a ‘photograph album’. A large part of the book consists of photographs taken by Nelli Fomina on sets used for Stalker, which are reprinted here exclusively. Another important part of this volume brings the reader the reminiscences of Sergei Naugolnykh, who worked as the assistant camera man on Stalker. He shares with the reader his observations about how complex production issues were resolved on set."

https://vimeo.com/132008059" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

SpoilerShow
Where can I buy this book?
And I sure do hope so Criterion goes ahead with new releases for restored and actually good looking transfers

jsteffe

#123 Post by jsteffe » Wed Aug 31, 2016 5:01 pm

peerpee wrote:Wonderful news! Bodes really well for a definitive RUBLEV set (the two wildly different cuts) and MIRROR.
Yes! I really hope that Criterion investigates the question of black-and-white versus sepia footage in THE MIRROR.

Wittsdream

#124 Post by Wittsdream » Wed Aug 31, 2016 6:14 pm

jwd5275 wrote: The Steamroller and the Violin is likely with Criterion too. Far more interesting is that I am Cuba is no longer listed on the Milestone website. If it's not still with Milestone, Criterion probably picked it up.
This would make sense since Criterion previously released I am Cuba on laserdisc, exactly 20 years ago, "jointly presented by Martin Scorsese and Francis Ford Coppola" in a handsome 2-disc edition, with a Hoberman essay inside the gate-fold jacket.

Yakushima

#125 Post by Yakushima » Wed Aug 31, 2016 10:03 pm

Re: dda1996a
The book "Costumes for the Films of Andrei Tarkovsky" is sold on Amazon through Marketplace sellers (both US and UK). I can see a couple of offers there right now. I would not wait too long though, the prices have already gone up since I bought mine. You may also check the publisher's website. Good luck!