The Woody Allen Collections

Discuss releases from Arrow and the films on them.

Moderator: yoloswegmaster

StevenJ0001

Re: The Woody Allen Collections

#26 Post by StevenJ0001 » Thu Jun 23, 2016 12:51 pm

I am tremendously excited about this release and the other two box sets!!

But the first thing I thought of was "Please, please, please present the Annie Hall rooftop scene's 'thought' subtitles properly!"

So thank you to Calvin for bringing it up and thank you to Michael for passing the message on to the producers.

The original MGM DVD showed the subtitles as closed captions, and of course the Blu-ray has them in ghastly yellow. They should appear to be burned in and film-like, as they were in the release prints--the gag doesn't really work if they look like video subtitles added later.

Yes, I'm obsessed with this, just because it's one of my favorite films and it's been heartbreaking to see the DVD wreck this classic scene, and then the Blu-ray too!

Ribs

#27 Post by Ribs » Thu Jun 23, 2016 12:56 pm

What's the situation with his later 90's stuff? I know there's a German release but are they with rights holders that would be willing to license it out for BD release in the UK or US?

Also it doesn't impact me but it seems a little unfair that TT gets to make all their Allen stuff region free (as does MGM's few own titles) but Arrow's forced to lock them.

Orlac

#28 Post by Orlac » Thu Jun 23, 2016 1:00 pm

Is the box set limited?

Ribs

#29 Post by Ribs » Thu Jun 23, 2016 1:01 pm

Orlac wrote:Is the box set limited?
They said on Facebook that details have not yet been finalized.

Charles

The Woody Allen Collections

#30 Post by Charles » Thu Jun 23, 2016 1:50 pm

One more point about the rooftop thought subtitles (apologies if I missed someone saying it above): their original exquisitely comedic timing was thrown off in the replacement.

Thank you, MichaelB.
Last edited by Charles on Thu Jun 23, 2016 1:54 pm, edited 3 times in total.

movielocke

#31 Post by movielocke » Thu Jun 23, 2016 1:50 pm

Is this a USA release like battles without honor and humanity? Or a UK release only?

swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

#32 Post by swo17 » Thu Jun 23, 2016 1:54 pm

Arrow Academy is a UK-only line.

MichaelB

#33 Post by MichaelB » Thu Jun 23, 2016 2:03 pm

Charles wrote:One more point about the rooftop thought subtitles (apologies if I missed someone saying it above): their original exquisitely comedic timing was thrown off in the replacement.
I've sent a detailed email to the disc producer.
swo17 wrote:Arrow Academy is a UK-only line.
Even if it wasn't, the US rights to most of the titles (possibly all?) are tied up elsewhere.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#34 Post by domino harvey » Thu Jun 23, 2016 2:06 pm

Ribs wrote:What's the situation with his later 90's stuff? I know there's a German release but are they with rights holders that would be willing to license it out for BD release in the UK or US?
I have all the Danish (I think, or is it Norway?) Blus of the Miramax and Dreamworks titles and I'm pretty sure they're region free. All are obvious improvements on the crummy DVDs. I got mine direct from DaaVeeDee

StevenJ0001

#35 Post by StevenJ0001 » Thu Jun 23, 2016 2:08 pm

MichaelB wrote:
Charles wrote:One more point about the rooftop thought subtitles (apologies if I missed someone saying it above): their original exquisitely comedic timing was thrown off in the replacement.
I've sent a detailed email to the disc producer.
Magnificent!! :)

MichaelB

#36 Post by MichaelB » Thu Jun 23, 2016 2:10 pm

...and it's been received - and she was already well aware of the issue, and will make every effort to get this one right.

UPDATE: Everything You Always Wanted to Know About Sex has a similar issue, of course, and I can confirm that Arrow will be burning in subtitles on the "Antonioni" sequence. I suspect they'll be doing exactly the same thing on Annie Hall. There's no conceivable reason why anyone would want to switch them off, as the subtitles are an integral comedic part of both sequences.

PfR73

#37 Post by PfR73 » Thu Jun 23, 2016 3:00 pm

Hi Michael,
If you could also let the disc producer know that the Twilight Time release of Love And Death, along with previous DVD releases, is missing the opening bit of Prokofiev music that should be playing over the UA logo (seemingly due to the logo being updated to an MGM logo) and that if Arrow could rectify that on their release, it'd be wonderful!

The original opening with music can be seen here: https://youtube.com/watch?v=8pZq2QP3gL0

StevenJ0001

#38 Post by StevenJ0001 » Thu Jun 23, 2016 3:41 pm

MichaelB wrote:...and it's been received - and she was already well aware of the issue, and will make every effort to get this one right.

UPDATE: Everything You Always Wanted to Know About Sex has a similar issue, of course, and I can confirm that Arrow will be burning in subtitles on the "Antonioni" sequence. I suspect they'll be doing exactly the same thing on Annie Hall. There's no conceivable reason why anyone would want to switch them off, as the subtitles are an integral comedic part of both sequences.
Michael, you're a godsend! And the producer is also, by the sounds of it. :D

Finch

#39 Post by Finch » Thu Jun 23, 2016 5:44 pm

If the second set groups Hannah and her Sisters, Crimes and Misdemeanours and The Purple Rose of Cairo together, I'll get it regardless of what the other three films in the set are.

swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

#40 Post by swo17 » Thu Jun 23, 2016 5:56 pm

They will surely be broken out as domino suggests here, though I suppose Hannah could end up in either one.

MichaelB

#41 Post by MichaelB » Thu Jun 23, 2016 6:24 pm

It's actually quite easy to work out which box Hannah is in - just count the number of cast-iron classics per box, and put Hannah in the one with fewer.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#42 Post by domino harvey » Thu Jun 23, 2016 6:31 pm

That's why I placed it where I did, otherwise the last box is really only anchored by Crimes (though obviously almost all of these should be considered classics!)

Ribs

#43 Post by Ribs » Thu Jun 23, 2016 6:43 pm

Is Radio Days not a classic? I was under the impression it was on about equal footing with Broadway Danny Rose. Is it just that the rest of Allen's 80s work is so good it might end up on the lower end of the spectrum in most people's ratings?

When he gets to 50 movies do we do a Woody Allen lists project?
Last edited by Ribs on Thu Jun 23, 2016 6:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#44 Post by domino harvey » Thu Jun 23, 2016 6:50 pm

I think it's the next most likely to be considered one from that last grouping, but people don't talk about it like Hannah or Crimes in my experience (I think it's a far better film than either of those too!)

The Narrator Returns

#45 Post by The Narrator Returns » Thu Jun 23, 2016 6:59 pm

Radio Days only trails Purple Rose for me, but I'm probably not a good look at the consensus, since Everyone Says I Love You rounds out my top five.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#46 Post by domino harvey » Thu Jun 23, 2016 7:01 pm

What kind of monster doesn't like Everyone Says I Love You? At the very least the film offers the best explanation for Conservative / Republican beliefs ever

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#47 Post by domino harvey » Thu Jun 23, 2016 7:03 pm

Ribs wrote:When he gets to 50 movies do we do a Woody Allen lists project?
That's actually a great idea for a mini-list!

Ribs

#48 Post by Ribs » Thu Jun 23, 2016 7:04 pm

domino harvey wrote:I think it's the next most likely to be considered one from that last grouping, but people don't talk about it like Hannah or Crimes in my experience (I think it's a far better film than either of those too!)
I've never really understood why Hannah became his most beloved film from this period - it's good and funny and everything, but it's a bit confusing considering pretty much everything else is just amazingly innovative and original to a far greater degree. Is it just a self-fulfilling thing of the film being nominated/winning major Oscars so everyone remembers it better? Or is it *because* it didn't do an outlandish, distinct premise that it stands out?

We should start an Everybody Says I Love You club.

swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

#49 Post by swo17 » Thu Jun 23, 2016 7:10 pm

domino harvey wrote:
Ribs wrote:When he gets to 50 movies do we do a Woody Allen lists project?
That's actually a great idea for a mini-list!
There are probably quite a few directors that would be good candidates for such a thing though my preference would be to prioritize those that are no longer active filmmakers.

knives

#50 Post by knives » Thu Jun 23, 2016 7:11 pm

domino harvey wrote:What kind of monster doesn't like Everyone Says I Love You? At the very least the film offers the best explanation for Conservative / Republican beliefs ever
The kind that hasn't seen it yet.