Forthcoming Lists Discussion and Random Speculation Vol. 6

News on Criterion and Janus Films.
ShellOilJunior

Re: Forthcoming Lists Discussion and Random Speculation Vol.

#2276 Post by ShellOilJunior » Thu Mar 26, 2015 3:59 pm

Tip of the cap to Adamhopelies at blu-ray.com:
A pal is at the SCMS conference, where Criterion just mentioned that the Before Trilogy is coming this year. They said that Boyhood is still definitely happening too.

gorgeousnothings

#2277 Post by gorgeousnothings » Thu Mar 26, 2015 7:38 pm

ShellOilJunior wrote:Tip of the cap to Adamhopelies at blu-ray.com:
A pal is at the SCMS conference, where Criterion just mentioned that the Before Trilogy is coming this year. They said that Boyhood is still definitely happening too.
Well that could solve what the two suns and the moon are in the New Years Drawing. That's really exciting news.

And while we are on the topic of locking down the timing of all these releases the Tulsa World (I know) has Harrod Blank (Les's son) specify that A Poem is a Naked Person will be released on DVD next year.

FrauBlucher

#2278 Post by FrauBlucher » Fri Mar 27, 2015 3:54 pm

Only two Blu Rays for Altman after all this time. One as an upgrade back in 2011 and another came as a new title in Dec of 13. What is the likelihood we get a two or three titles in a short period of time, sooner than later? I would love a Short Cuts upgrade as well. And Prairie Home Companion would be an excellent addition to Criterion.

bradass

#2279 Post by bradass » Fri Mar 27, 2015 5:34 pm

I can confirm that Kim Hendrickson is present at SCMS, and if my eavesdropping is up to snuff, I believe she told someone The Brood is scheduled for October.
Last edited by bradass on Fri Mar 27, 2015 7:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

criterion10

#2280 Post by criterion10 » Fri Mar 27, 2015 6:44 pm

bradass wrote:I can confirm that Kim Hendrickson is present at SCMS, and if my eavesdropping is up to snuff, I believe she told someone The Brood is schedule for October.
Makes sense. Surprised we still haven't gotten that one yet.

Bruce

#2281 Post by Bruce » Sun Mar 29, 2015 7:21 am

FrauBlucher wrote:Only two Blu Rays for Altman after all this time. One as an upgrade back in 2011 and another came as a new title in Dec of 13. What is the likelihood we get a two or three titles in a short period of time, sooner than later? I would love a Short Cuts upgrade as well. And Prairie Home Companion would be an excellent addition to Criterion.
I'll second a 'Short Cuts' upgrade, and I hope they will release 'Gosford Park' at some point. Also, there have been suggestions that their new relationship with Warner might enable them to release 'McCabe And Mrs Miller'. That would be awesome.

Rolad

#2282 Post by Rolad » Sun Mar 29, 2015 11:36 am

cowmonger wrote:
Rolad wrote:I'm just getting into Greek filmmaker, Nikos Nikolaidis' films and wondering what the likelihood of Criterion (or anyone) releasing some of them. Aside from Singapore Sling, they're pretty difficult to get ahold of in decent quality, but just from youtube browsing it looks like there are some pretty good HD scans for Sweet Bunch, See You In Hell My Darling, Zero Years, and Morning Patrol. Does anyone know if anyone might have the rights to distribute them in North America?
Are the DVDs being offered on the Nikolaidis' website of decent quality? I've been looking at them for a while, but have never seen any proper reviews of them.
I don't have the box set, I was thinking of ordering it, but haven't seen a real review of it either. But from what I've seen the transfers for his films look pretty good. I think Zero Years was shot on DV tape, so it has that early digital video look I know a lot of people don't like.

colinr0380

#2283 Post by colinr0380 » Mon Mar 30, 2015 5:50 am

I wonder how big an issue New Line getting absorbed into Warners is for the ability to release the Fine Line Pictures films again. I haven't look into it too deeply but I was just thinking about this having received the Blu-ray upgrade of Hoop Dreams, which is now licensed directly from Kartemquin Films. And Mike Leigh's Naked is now licensed directly from Film4. Are there any other rightsholders that something like Short Cuts could revert back to, or has that gone over to Warners now?

FrauBlucher

#2284 Post by FrauBlucher » Mon Mar 30, 2015 11:52 am

This is from the guy that runs the Wellesnet site.
Julian Schlossberg, executive producer of the Othello restoration, and Beatrice Welles have told me the Criterion release will have the 1955 and restored 1992 versions. Other extras are under consideration. I suggested Return to Glennascaul and Filming Othello, but rights to both would have to be ironed out. I know of at least one noted Welles authority who has reached out to Criterion.
At the Sedona Film Festival in late February, Beatrice Welles told audiences at two different film screenings that a major, well-respected home video line had acquired the rights to Chimes at Midnight and would issue a restored version on Blu-ray and DVD. She did not have a timetable and had just been informed. She did not publicly identify the label, telling me that the Estate owns Othello, but not Chimes, and she did not feel it right to speak on their behalf.
It is looking to be a grand year for Welles fans.
It certainly sounds like Chimes at Midnight will come from Criterion.

EddieLarkin

#2285 Post by EddieLarkin » Mon Mar 30, 2015 12:05 pm

And that we won't be getting the 1952 version of Othello.

tenia
Ask Me About My Bassoon

#2286 Post by tenia » Mon Mar 30, 2015 12:09 pm

I think I read a strong rumor about Carlotta releasing Chimes in France on BD. Nothing 100% official though.

Roger Ryan

#2287 Post by Roger Ryan » Mon Mar 30, 2015 12:22 pm

EddieLarkin wrote:And that we won't be getting the 1952 version of Othello.
Hopefully, Criterion will look into this. I have a feeling Schlossberg might not even be aware that there is a (significant) difference between the 1952 and the 1955 cuts; I imagine his authority would only extend to the '92 restoration.

I wouldn't conclude that Criterion is the label associated with a potential CHIMES AT MIDNIGHT Blu-ray release. The only evidence is that Beatrice Welles has reportedly gotten some inside information about a home video release. Now, knowing that she has been in contact with Criterion over the OTHELLO release, the label may have been her source for the CHIMES info...or maybe not. What we have not heard about is a settlement in the legal ownership case; that has to be resolved before anything else happens. The film has certainly been given some high profile screenings this year, so perhaps the long simmering legal feud has been quietly resolved.

FrauBlucher

#2288 Post by FrauBlucher » Mon Mar 30, 2015 12:48 pm

Bruce Goldstein who runs the Film Forum as well as Rialto Pictures told me Chimes is heading to DVD/Blu but couldn't reveal by whom.

dwk

#2289 Post by dwk » Mon Mar 30, 2015 1:50 pm

According to Neil McGlone, Criterion passed on The Cook, the Thief, His Wife and Her Lover because there are issues with the original elements.

Drucker
Your Future our Drucker

#2290 Post by Drucker » Mon Mar 30, 2015 2:30 pm

FrauBlucher wrote:Bruce Goldstein who runs the Film Forum as well as Rialto Pictures told me Chimes is heading to DVD/Blu but couldn't reveal by whom.
Interesting, because Jonathan Rosenbaum thought there were still rights issues when I asked him. Hopefully this is great news.

MrGregoryArkadin

#2291 Post by MrGregoryArkadin » Mon Mar 30, 2015 5:48 pm

Criterion posted an image of Dennis Hopper as 'Billy', flipping off the camera- along with a great quote earlier today. Could this mean EASY RIDER is getting a stand alone along with FIVE EASY PIECES? Would make sense, considering the word on the street is they lost the rights to HEAD. Maybe they worked out an arrangement with his estate for THE LAST MOVIE? One can hope, right?

ordinaryperson

#2292 Post by ordinaryperson » Mon Mar 30, 2015 9:10 pm

I've been browsing the Blu-Ray.com forums and someone posted a link from Reddit saying that we're getting a Lana Del Rey music video collection, an early Bela Tarr film, and "Punch Drunk Love". Also, there is another saying "Daisies" will be released as a standalone Blu-Ray (But I wouldn't trust this one so much).

sir_luke

#2293 Post by sir_luke » Mon Mar 30, 2015 9:25 pm

The Lana Del Rey collection initially seems like a rather odd choice, but I think much of her music is quite good and several of her videos are very cinematic (some running upwards of ten minutes). I can't say if there's a shred of truth to the rumor, but it will be interesting to see if anything comes of it...

ordinaryperson

#2294 Post by ordinaryperson » Mon Mar 30, 2015 9:36 pm

I like Lana Del Rey's music too, but why would Criterion do a music video collection over musicians like Beck,Radiohead,The Smashing Pumpkins, and Gorillaz? Hell, David Lynch (who is the driving force behind this video collection) said in an interview that he was a fan of Kanye West, why not him?

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#2295 Post by domino harvey » Mon Mar 30, 2015 9:39 pm

Uh, interest or lack thereof from one or both sides? I like LDR and welcome a release like this, but part of me hopes it isn't true because I don't think I want to read all the bellyaching its release would spark

The Narrator Returns

#2296 Post by The Narrator Returns » Mon Mar 30, 2015 9:40 pm

I'd love to see Criterion do a collection of David Fincher's music videos (although he did reject Palm Pictures' offer to do a volume in their Directors' Label series, so it may be an uphill battle to get him to agree to it). Or an updated Blu-Ray of the Beastie Boys Video Anthology. This'll do, pig.

Minkin

#2297 Post by Minkin » Mon Mar 30, 2015 9:46 pm

Bela Tarr would make sense, as Facets has been losing rights to quite a few of their movies in the past years (are they even releasing anything as a company still?) - so it wouldn't be too big of a leap of judgment to expect Criterion to be interested in/pick things up as Facets' license expires (See also Decalogue -and some rumors about that) - and I could imagine Tarr not wanting to ever hear the word "Facets" again.

I'm still surprised Criterion boxed up Daisies, as that seems to be the one Czech / Eastern European film to actually get some mainstream attention (I had some decidedly non-cinephile friends put up Daisies screenshots on their Facebook profiles) - so I could easily see that film being lifted from Eclipse purgatory sooner or later (the buzz / pre-sellls of Valerie is probably a good indicator as well) Has Daisies received any restoration - similar to Valerie/Marketa/etc?

New Line - well, there's the WB deal, so all seems likely.
Music videos - wasn't there something about Spike Jonze at one point in our rumor-mongering?

gorgeousnothings

#2298 Post by gorgeousnothings » Mon Mar 30, 2015 10:19 pm

I'm not sure what the point of releasing a Lana Del Rey collection would be since the entirety of her videos are already on youtube. Unless they are going to package them with music videos from her upcoming Honeymoon and release it as a promotional tie-in? The fact that the source is claiming David Lynch has an interest in contributing somehow makes this whole idea make more sense and less sense at the same time. She sang Blue Velvet so maybe he's interested in directing a music video?

This is the most absurd and yet not unplausible rumor I've heard in a long while.

Rolad

#2299 Post by Rolad » Mon Mar 30, 2015 10:36 pm

Minkin wrote:Bela Tarr would make sense, as Facets has been losing rights to quite a few of their movies in the past years (are they even releasing anything as a company still?) - so it wouldn't be too big of a leap of judgment to expect Criterion to be interested in/pick things up as Facets' license expires (See also Decalogue -and some rumors about that) - and I could imagine Tarr not wanting to ever hear the word "Facets" again.

I'm still surprised Criterion boxed up Daisies, as that seems to be the one Czech / Eastern European film to actually get some mainstream attention (I had some decidedly non-cinephile friends put up Daisies screenshots on their Facebook profiles) - so I could easily see that film being lifted from Eclipse purgatory sooner or later (the buzz / pre-sellls of Valerie is probably a good indicator as well) Has Daisies received any restoration - similar to Valerie/Marketa/etc?

New Line - well, there's the WB deal, so all seems likely.
Music videos - wasn't there something about Spike Jonze at one point in our rumor-mongering?
It would definitely be great to see Tarr in the collection. I didn't notice any of the Facet dvd out of print (what's the deal with them?), but is there any chance that Criterion might release Tarr's Macbeth? I don't think its had a region 1 release before, and its where Tarr really developed the extreme long take style he's famous for.

Daisies has been one of my favourite films since I was a child, but being Czech I'm biased and not sure how much appeal it has to other people. It does seem to be growing in popularity, and a Criterion blu ray would definitely be welcome. I'm pretty sure there's a Czech blu ray, but I'm not sure how the quality is.

inlieubeaulieu

#2300 Post by inlieubeaulieu » Mon Mar 30, 2015 11:26 pm

Macbeth is included in the Facets release of Sátántangó (as well as his shorts Journey on the Plain and the Prologue for the omnibus film Visions of Europe). The quality is undoubtedly atrocious, though.