Non-Marvel and DC Comic Books on Film

Discussions of specific films and franchises.
Steven H

Re: Comic Books on Film

#251 Post by Steven H » Mon Aug 04, 2014 2:21 pm

Well that's upsetting. Hopefully something positive will happen for him that will eclipse this IP issue.

Movie-Brat

#252 Post by Movie-Brat » Mon Aug 04, 2014 2:26 pm

Which is weird as Marvel actually gave Bill Mantlo a private screening of the film.

http://www.bleedingcool.com/2014/08/03/ ... of-marvel/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

ando
Bringing Out El Duende

#253 Post by ando » Tue Aug 05, 2014 10:37 am

Steven H wrote:If you enjoyed Guardians of the Galaxy...
Well, I endured it like a trooper. Sorry to hear about Mantlo. His performance was one the best in the romp. Now excuse me while I attempt to excorcize Blue Swede's Hooked on a Feeling from my brain.
:(
What's worse is hearing people call the soundtrack the soundtrack of the summer. Rite-Aid has a better play list.

Luke M

Re: The Films of 2014

#254 Post by Luke M » Wed Aug 06, 2014 7:03 pm

I saw The Guardians of the Galaxy and was disappointed both by the film itself and that I had set such great expectations for it. I mostly fell for the internet fanboy hype in believing this would be something truly fun and unique. While the humor is there and Chris Pratt's performance is terrific, the film is an endless parade of character and storyline cliches. The soundtrack was full of missed opportunities and mostly had me scratching my head at some of the choices. The sudden change in tones from humor to sad to back to humor didn't work for me either. Maybe if I had lowered expectations I would've enjoyed it more.

Movie-Brat

#255 Post by Movie-Brat » Thu Aug 07, 2014 1:19 am

I rather enjoyed it. I mean it seemed like James Gunn took every moment to make what's essentially a love letter to comic books and the space operas he loved as a kid.

karmajuice

#256 Post by karmajuice » Thu Aug 07, 2014 10:35 pm

Avoiding cliche in a genre as tired as the space opera would be a serious misstep. The film has imagination and a lot of heart and it follows the arc and hosts the very characters we expect it to. I thought the varying tone worked pretty well; the film is predominantly an action-comedy, and the more reflective moments are always undermined by bathos or a sense of self-consciousness that tries to downplay the more serious dimensions (while still allowing them to exist).

Numero Trois

#257 Post by Numero Trois » Wed Aug 13, 2014 9:40 am

This article gives some info into on what needed to be done to get some compensation for Bill Mantlo:
NYTimes wrote:“My attorney is very good,” Michael [Mantlo] said. “I’m not going to say Marvel came to me and opened up their hearts and their purse strings.”

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#258 Post by domino harvey » Mon Nov 24, 2014 8:33 pm

Game of Thrones and Breaking Bad director Michelle MacLaren has been hired to direct and co-write Wonder Woman

pzadvance

#259 Post by pzadvance » Mon Nov 24, 2014 8:51 pm

domino harvey wrote:Game of Thrones and Breaking Bad director Michelle MacLaren has been hired to direct and co-write Wonder Woman
This is the first decision WB's made with their recent DC stuff that I can actually get pretty excited about. MacLaren has been killing it on TV, I'm really interested to see how this turns out.

ianungstad

#260 Post by ianungstad » Mon Nov 24, 2014 9:20 pm

Apparently they interviewed almost every female director in Hollywood to direct Wonder Woman. They even interviewed Jennifer Kent; who's debut Babadook doesn't open until next week. It's kind of interesting (but makes sense) that they wanted a female director for this film.

Movie-Brat

#261 Post by Movie-Brat » Mon Nov 24, 2014 11:36 pm

domino harvey wrote:Game of Thrones and Breaking Bad director Michelle MacLaren has been hired to direct and co-write Wonder Woman
I can get behind this. I've seen her Breaking Bad episodes and really, I guarantee if I compiled a Top 10 list, a lot of her episodes would be on there. So yeah, color me interested. I do have this nagging feeling that WB might try to pull a fast one on her if studio interference rears its ugly head. But I'm keeping hope.
ianungstad wrote:Apparently they interviewed almost every female director in Hollywood to direct Wonder Woman. They even interviewed Jennifer Kent; who's debut Babadook doesn't open until next week. It's kind of interesting (but makes sense) that they wanted a female director for this film.
Which has me wondering actually. What if Marvel wants to do the same thing and actually offers Jennifer Kent for Captain Marvel?

matrixschmatrix

#262 Post by matrixschmatrix » Tue Nov 25, 2014 12:32 am

I'd be a lot more excited for Wonder Woman if it wasn't going to be a character created and cast by Zack Snyder

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

Suicide Squad Films (David Ayer/Gavin O'Connor, 2016-2019)

#263 Post by domino harvey » Tue Dec 02, 2014 9:15 pm

Cast for Suicide Squad has been announced

Jared Leto – The Joker
Will Smith – Deadshot
Tom Hardy – Rick Flag
Margot Robbie – Harley Quinn
Jai Courtney – Boomerang
Cara Delevingne – Enchantress

I know who like two of these even are (the characters, not the actors)

knives

#264 Post by knives » Tue Dec 02, 2014 11:06 pm

Don't worry, only three of them are particularly big plus one common punchline.

SpiderBaby

#265 Post by SpiderBaby » Tue Dec 02, 2014 11:48 pm

I wonder if Hardy's Rick Flag is going to be the leader of the team, or is Will Smith (obviously not going to wear the awesome Deadshot mask :( ) and marketable Joker going to have WB fighting over who takes that spot?

I have some of the 80s version of Suicide Squad comics (Deadshot fan. Probably won't be for this movie.), never thought it could become a movie (cool concept for one, and with the success of Guardians, obscure titles could do well. Especially when they are throwing in the most known comic book villain and Will Smith). Interesting that we will finally see Harley Quinn on screen. I can't be the only one that wanted Brittany Murphy to play the character in the past?

Oh, and Boomerang (he throws boomerangs, and.......throws boomerangs. Villain of The Flash, so what else can you do?) is going to be comic relief. This film is obviously trying to be an 'answer' to Marvel's Guardians movie.

dx23

#266 Post by dx23 » Wed Dec 03, 2014 1:24 am

This continues to prove that WB still doesn't know what the fuck they are doing. The Joker has never been part of the Suicide Squad because being part of a team, whether being forced or not, is not part of his persona. Boomerang is Australian, not Asian. Rick Flagg is the all-American soldier, certainly not Tom Hardy and Deadshot certainly does not resemble Will Smith. The incredible thing is that they could have used this same cast to portray the actual Suicide Squad members, like for example, Will smith could be an excellent Catman or Bronze Tiger, Tom Hardy could be Bane like he was already or portray Blockbuster, Jared Leto could be Deadshot, Tony Jaa could be the Sportsmaster and they could have brought in Liam Hemsworth as Captain Boomerang. The only good casting they've done is Margot Robbie as Harley.

Also, it seems that Oprah Winfrey is almost set to play Amanda Waller, the leader of the group, and government liaison to the Suicide Squad.

SpiderBaby

#267 Post by SpiderBaby » Wed Dec 03, 2014 1:33 am

Yeah, Joker is in this only to sell tickets. I don't see how he would agree to a secret government squad of individuals working together against terrorists. Joker is the type of villain they would be against one would think.

I like your casting btw dz23. I would rather have seen Hardy stay Bane for this (obviously a different Bane than the Nolan one), unless they make his Rick Flag a cigar smoking, bearded badass because he would already fit that part:

Last edited by SpiderBaby on Wed Dec 03, 2014 1:40 am, edited 2 times in total.

knives

#268 Post by knives » Wed Dec 03, 2014 1:35 am

I dunno, while in a smaller dose than this The Joker was used excellently in a team setting (let alone a forced one like this) in several JL episodes back in the day and while not the best cast for these characters it isn't insanely poor beyond maybe Smith's baggage. Though CCH Pounder is the only person I could see be The Wall.

GetBusyLivin

#269 Post by GetBusyLivin » Wed Dec 03, 2014 2:15 am

dx23 wrote:Boomerang is Australian, not Asian.
Jai Courtney is Australian, not Asian

dx23

#270 Post by dx23 » Wed Dec 03, 2014 2:53 am

GetBusyLivin wrote:
dx23 wrote:Boomerang is Australian, not Asian.
Jai Courtney is Australian, not Asian
For some reason I had read Tony Jaa instead of Jai Courtney. That's a good casting then.

Edit to add:
My pick for Rick Flagg could have been Jon Hamm and Timothy Olyphant could also have played Deadshot. I also would love to see CC Pounder as Amanda Waller. Jason Clark could also portray Flagg.

geoffcowgill

#271 Post by geoffcowgill » Wed Dec 03, 2014 1:44 pm

dx23 wrote:The Joker has never been part of the Suicide Squad because being part of a team, whether being forced or not, is not part of his persona.
I hate to give the Snyder-led approach to DC movies the benefit of the doubt at this point, but isn't it entirely likely that The Joker is the target and not a team member?

RyanGallagher

#272 Post by RyanGallagher » Wed Dec 03, 2014 3:22 pm

If you haven't seen it yet, one of the latest DC animated films: Batman: Assault On Arkham, features the Suicide Squad, and has the Joker as the villain. Worth checking out, if you're curious as to where this feature film might go.

dx23

#273 Post by dx23 » Wed Dec 03, 2014 5:31 pm

RyanGallagher wrote:If you haven't seen it yet, one of the latest DC animated films: Batman: Assault On Arkham, features the Suicide Squad, and has the Joker as the villain. Worth checking out, if you're curious as to where this feature film might go.
geoffcowgill wrote:
dx23 wrote:The Joker has never been part of the Suicide Squad because being part of a team, whether being forced or not, is not part of his persona.
I hate to give the Snyder-led approach to DC movies the benefit of the doubt at this point, but isn't it entirely likely that The Joker is the target and not a team member?
I haven't seen that one yet, but it would surprise me for WB to follow the concept of a direct to DVD film.

Also, there are grumblings that Will Smith may have accepted to do this film with the condition that WB cast his petulant son Jaden as Static Shock in the rumored featured film.

SpiderBaby

#274 Post by SpiderBaby » Wed Dec 03, 2014 6:05 pm

dx23 wrote: Also, there are grumblings that Will Smith may have accepted to do this film with the condition that WB cast his petulant son Jaden as Static Shock in the rumored featured film.
Great, so they are using one of my favorite comic book characters (Deadshot) on an actor I'm not a fan of, just to work out a deal for his son to be in a movie no one will go see, if made.

BTW, I'm curious why the fan favorite Deathstroke wasn't put in this (don't remember him in a Suicide Squad line-up, but neither was the Joker. Deathstroke seems to fit the bill better though), unless a future Teen Titans movie is being planned, and he will be the villain. I've always wanted to see a Batman film with Deathstroke too.

jindianajonz
Jindiana Jonz Abrams

#275 Post by jindianajonz » Wed Dec 03, 2014 7:15 pm

I'm not huge on my dc mythology, but I wonder if deadshot and deathstroke are too similar, in name if not appearance. I remember when I played the most recent arkham game the villain team seemed a bit too homogeneous, and it may have been due to both characters featuring in it