Criterion and StudioCanal

News on Criterion and Janus Films.
hearthesilence

Re: Out Of Print: StudioCanal Snatches It All Away

#901 Post by hearthesilence » Mon Apr 29, 2013 10:45 pm

Ugh, then personally, it's not worth buying, especially at a premium price. Until they do it right, it'll remain a reference title in my "digital archive" rather than a purchased item on the shelf.

HistoryProf

#902 Post by HistoryProf » Tue Apr 30, 2013 1:54 am

has anyone received Le Cercle Rouge from Amazon in the last couple of weeks? I also bit and ordered Marienbad when it was still in stock because it was $23, but that hasn't shipped either. Those are the only two outstanding still, but i'm a tad annoyed it's been a month now and nothing - especially when both were in stock when I placed the orders.

rrot

#903 Post by rrot » Tue Apr 30, 2013 7:03 am

HistoryProf wrote:has anyone received Le Cercle Rouge from Amazon in the last couple of weeks? I also bit and ordered Marienbad when it was still in stock because it was $23, but that hasn't shipped either. Those are the only two outstanding still, but i'm a tad annoyed it's been a month now and nothing - especially when both were in stock when I placed the orders.
I too am waiting -- for a Last Year at Marienbad bluray. In stock when ordered, but now Amazon are giving no clues. Expecting to be notified in a couple more weeks that my order's been canceled.

But it has turned out that there was a Barnes & Noble near me with both Le Cercle Rouge and LYaM still in stock so I picked them up with the pair of 20% off Mother's Day coupons they recently sent out. Now just waiting for the Amazon order to ripen or rot before I open the Marienbad disc...

bdsweeney

#904 Post by bdsweeney » Tue Apr 30, 2013 7:52 pm

rrot wrote:
HistoryProf wrote:has anyone received Le Cercle Rouge from Amazon in the last couple of weeks? I also bit and ordered Marienbad when it was still in stock because it was $23, but that hasn't shipped either. Those are the only two outstanding still, but i'm a tad annoyed it's been a month now and nothing - especially when both were in stock when I placed the orders.
I too am waiting -- for a Last Year at Marienbad bluray. In stock when ordered, but now Amazon are giving no clues. Expecting to be notified in a couple more weeks that my order's been canceled.

But it has turned out that there was a Barnes & Noble near me with both Le Cercle Rouge and LYaM still in stock so I picked them up with the pair of 20% off Mother's Day coupons they recently sent out. Now just waiting for the Amazon order to ripen or rot before I open the Marienbad disc...
When did you order?

I ordered more than 24 hours after the OOP announcement and didn't receive any message from them, only to then have it posted about 10 days ago.

It hasn't arrived yet, but not unusual for parcels to Australia from Amazon.

dad1153

#905 Post by dad1153 » Thu May 02, 2013 8:31 pm

My Amazon orders ("Army of Shadows," "Leon Morin" Blu and "Le Doulos" DVD) came safely by mail on Tuesday. Ordered them Sunday night, so... yay Prime! :)

jbeall

#906 Post by jbeall » Fri May 03, 2013 9:29 am

Just got an email from amazon asking me if I want to keep my order for Marienbad open. They'll "keep trying" to obtain copies, they said...

HistoryProf

#907 Post by HistoryProf » Sat May 04, 2013 3:12 am

jbeall wrote:Just got an email from amazon asking me if I want to keep my order for Marienbad open. They'll "keep trying" to obtain copies, they said...
i got the same the other day for Le Cercle Rouge. Not going to hold my breath.

HistoryProf

#908 Post by HistoryProf » Sat May 04, 2013 8:18 pm

\:D/
Dear HistoryProf:

Your Amazon.com order of "Le Cercle Rouge" has shipped!

teddyleevin

#909 Post by teddyleevin » Tue May 07, 2013 2:48 pm

After a few weeks, my second (just-in-case) Blu of Marienbad failed to come through (an Amazon seller, was allegedly lost in shipment...if that's true, it's devastating, but I hope some worthy person managed to find it abandoned on some church doorstep). Amazon order came through weeks ago anyone, so not a big deal, but now I have two copies of the plastic replacement case. #firstworldproblems

P.S. That case isn't for sale on the site anymore, so I'd be happy to sell or trade it via PM.

Perkins Cobb

#910 Post by Perkins Cobb » Tue May 07, 2013 5:38 pm

Leon Morin Blu dropped to $19.99 on Amazon.

Mr. Romberg

#911 Post by Mr. Romberg » Wed May 08, 2013 9:27 pm

What other Studio Canal titles are currently in print on Criterion? I think I'll make those titles my top priority next time I make a purchase before Studio Canal snatches those away as well.

dad1153

#912 Post by dad1153 » Wed May 08, 2013 10:35 pm

^^^ And $12.99 for the DVD.

jw007

#913 Post by jw007 » Fri May 10, 2013 3:27 am

Hello all,

This is my very first posting on this forum. I have been collecting Criterion DVDs and BDs for many years now.

I just wanted to say that I took advantage of the $19.99 "Léon Morin, Priest" BD deal on Amazon last night, and bought it. I couldn't believe how this now out of print title could have fallen to such a low price. I recently scoured all of the local Barnes & Noble stores in my city and was still able to find Léon Morin, Priest in two locations. Still, even with a 15% off coupon and 10% member discount, the cheapest I could have gotten this film would have been about $32 with tax included. Still nothing compared to the Amazon deal.

Furthermore, I miraculously bought "Last Year at Marienbad" today at one of the B&N stores. I used the 15% off Mothers Day coupon (expires on Sunday) along with the 10% member discount. Since I couldn't wait till the 50% off sale in July, I figured that for an OOP print title, I would pay a bit more than I would normally.

The craziest thing of all though is, I actually did something I'm a bit ashamed of. A few weeks ago, I went to one of the stores and hid both blu-rays of "Léon Morin" and "Last Year..." in a secret location in the video department. I returned 2-3 weeks later and they were still there. I felt ashamed for doing this because I'm sure other customers would have wanted to buy these titles. So instead, I returned "Léon Morin" back to the shelves (after only spending $19.99 last night on it) and purchased "Last Year..." today.

Has anyone else ever attempted to hide out of print Criterion DVDs or BDs in a Barnes & Noble store to wait for a 50% off sale?

Noiradelic

#914 Post by Noiradelic » Fri May 10, 2013 4:46 pm

Mr. Romberg wrote:What other Studio Canal titles are currently in print on Criterion? I think I'll make those titles my top priority next time I make a purchase before Studio Canal snatches those away as well.
Nothing left but La Haine.

Moe Dickstein

#915 Post by Moe Dickstein » Fri May 10, 2013 4:54 pm

Which is why I went and bought La Haine the day this last round got released.

I think there may be some titles within box-sets too, I think there is at least one in the Robeson but I'd have to look when I get home.

krnash

#916 Post by krnash » Fri May 10, 2013 4:58 pm

jw007 wrote:Has anyone else ever attempted to hide out of print Criterion DVDs or BDs in a Barnes & Noble store to wait for a 50% off sale?
As a former B&N employee, I wouldn't recommend this. Every three weeks or so we sorted through every DVD/blu-ray on every shelf, period. Scanning each bar code. With each scan, the system alerted us to items that needed to be sent back to the warehouse for OOP or lack of sale purposes. B&N isn't a store that holds onto items until they sell, they run a tight inventory and recall problematic items as soon as possible.

Anyway, no matter how cleverly you think you're hiding something, it's going to get found. Best case scenario, it's put back where it belongs. Worst case, it's going back to the warehouse.

jw007

#917 Post by jw007 » Sat May 11, 2013 12:10 am

krnash wrote:
jw007 wrote:Has anyone else ever attempted to hide out of print Criterion DVDs or BDs in a Barnes & Noble store to wait for a 50% off sale?
As a former B&N employee, I wouldn't recommend this. Every three weeks or so we sorted through every DVD/blu-ray on every shelf, period. Scanning each bar code. With each scan, the system alerted us to items that needed to be sent back to the warehouse for OOP or lack of sale purposes. B&N isn't a store that holds onto items until they sell, they run a tight inventory and recall problematic items as soon as possible.

Anyway, no matter how cleverly you think you're hiding something, it's going to get found. Best case scenario, it's put back where it belongs. Worst case, it's going back to the warehouse.
Hello sir,

Trust me, I quickly realized how unethical it is to hide Criterion releases in a B&N store. I asked the CSR at the store about whether they ship the OOP titles back to the distributor and he said it happens if they're not selling well. Some managers of the stores end up purchasing these OOP titles for themselves as well. Every store has a slightly different policy apparently. So yes, you are correct of course regarding which items sell and which do not and whether or not they hold onto the items or not. Nevertheless, I successfully hid the two items and they stayed there for about 3 weeks until I myself went back and did the right thing. I purchased one of the items and put the other item back on the shelf where it was originally.

Two days ago, another Barnes & Noble store agreed to ship an OOP Criterion title to a more local store also for me. I told them I didn't want to drive several hours to purchase this in their store and the CSR on the phone apparently was ok with sending this item to a more local store for me to purchase. This item is all out of stock in every B&N store here in my city.

Thanks for sharing your knowledge.

- J

Mouse

#918 Post by Mouse » Sun May 12, 2013 1:24 am

Noiradelic wrote:
Mr. Romberg wrote:What other Studio Canal titles are currently in print on Criterion? I think I'll make those titles my top priority next time I make a purchase before Studio Canal snatches those away as well.
Nothing left but La Haine.
Incorrect. Big Deal on Madonna Street and two films on the Robeson set are licensed from Studiocanal and are likely the next and final set to go. La Haine, Hopscotch, and Carlos all have the Canal logo, but have different licensing ownership in the U.S., so they can't touch those.

tenia
Ask Me About My Bassoon

#919 Post by tenia » Sun May 12, 2013 4:48 am

And to say I'm used to hide (usually, it's just taking the only remaining copy I'm interested in further in the video dept and putting in behind titles that never moves) BDs all the time, either in my local FNAC or in my local supermarket (which happens to have quite a big BD dept). :oops:

Perkins Cobb

#920 Post by Perkins Cobb » Mon May 13, 2013 2:08 pm

krnash wrote:As a former B&N employee, I wouldn't recommend this. Every three weeks or so we sorted through every DVD/blu-ray on every shelf, period. Scanning each bar code. With each scan, the system alerted us to items that needed to be sent back to the warehouse for OOP or lack of sale purposes. B&N isn't a store that holds onto items until they sell, they run a tight inventory and recall problematic items as soon as possible.

Ah, but what if I take an X-Acto knife, hollow out the pages of Dan Brown's latest opus, and tuck my OOP disc in there? Then I gotcha.

But seriously folks, Kim's Video turned up another couple copies of Army of Shadows and, after staring balefully at them for a couple of weeks, I bought the last one. It better be worth a fortune by the time I get around to watching it.

jw007

#921 Post by jw007 » Tue May 14, 2013 8:22 pm

I am happy to say that I was able to purchase the now OOP Criterion of "Le Cercle Rouge" at B&N today for $36 + tax.

I didn't have any coupons other than my 10% member discount but I still fared better than buying it for $50 or 60 that it is going for on Amazon and other online retailers.

Also there is something else I should mention. Since "Le Cercle Rouge" was out of stock in every store in my region, I had another B&N store from another state ship this blu-ray to another store in my city. This is something that could never happen normally because it is against company policy to ship from one store to another store. Yet, the store manager from my local store just happened to be at that other store (in a neighboring state) and brought the title with her personally to my store. I think this is a rarity in general and if I had a chance, I would like to personally thank her for doing this. I doubt such a favor will ever be done again. :-)

duck duck

#922 Post by duck duck » Wed May 15, 2013 2:31 pm

anyone know anything about this:
http://www.amazon.com/Morin-Priest-Crit ... EA560FP40A" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I have never seen an "item under review" notice and it seems strange after the price slashing thing.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#923 Post by domino harvey » Wed May 15, 2013 2:37 pm

Prob the box Amazon was sent of these had damaged copies and enough customers reported it that Amazon put a temporary kibosh. This happens frequently with poorly packaged sets (the F13th box and the stupid Hithcock MGM set are two that come to mind)

Donald Brown

#924 Post by Donald Brown » Wed Jun 05, 2013 4:13 pm

Amazon is again taking orders for Army of Shadows Blu at list price, saying it'll be back in stock next week.

dad1153

#925 Post by dad1153 » Thu Jun 06, 2013 8:49 pm

^^^ "Army of Shadows" seems to be back in stock for $39.98 (nothing about delayed shipping).