MoC Facebook & Twitter

News on Eureka and Masters of Cinema.
Finch

Re: MoC Facebook & Twitter

#351 Post by Finch » Wed Apr 11, 2012 7:15 am

colinr0380 wrote:Although it is good to see Touch of Evil under 5,000 so consistently after a number of months on release.
Especially given that it's a Blu-only title. Makes me wonder how many people were compelled to upgrade to Blu for the Welles.

Calvin

#352 Post by Calvin » Wed Apr 11, 2012 7:19 am

Finch wrote:@Nick and Michael Kerpan: the Edinburgh Film Festival will be hosting a retrospective for Shinji Somai this June. I've never heard of the man but would he be a suitable candidate for MoC in 2013/14?
I've never heard of him before so my interest has been piqued...I'm going to see if I can manage to attend any of the screenings. Moving sounds especially interesting.

perkizitore

#353 Post by perkizitore » Wed Apr 11, 2012 8:03 am

Finch wrote:
colinr0380 wrote:Although it is good to see Touch of Evil under 5,000 so consistently after a number of months on release.
Especially given that it's a Blu-only title. Makes me wonder how many people were compelled to upgrade to Blu for the Welles.
Don't forget that until now the HMV exclusive steelbook was competitively priced so at least for ToE, Amazon sales cannot be used as an indication for overall sales.

RossyG

#354 Post by RossyG » Wed Apr 11, 2012 12:13 pm

Must admit, I tend to buy most MoC releases from Sendit as they are always offering me 10% off coupons.

Currently, I have a pre-order for Island of Lost Souls and Double Indemnity at Amazon, but to take advantage of the cheapest prices I have Ruggles and Lost Weekend at HMV and Lifeboat at Sendit.

Surely overall sales count more than Amazon rankings?

swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

#355 Post by swo17 » Wed Apr 11, 2012 12:16 pm

Amazon is a large enough vendor that their sales rankings are probably a very good indicator of overall sales.

peerpee
not perpee

#356 Post by peerpee » Wed Apr 11, 2012 2:48 pm

From what I can tell, Amazon typically account for 60-70% of sales of most UK labels, except massive ones that might ship a ton of mainstream stuff through supermarkets.

Felix

#357 Post by Felix » Wed Apr 11, 2012 3:19 pm

I was going to suggest that Monte Hellman's China 9, Liberty 37, if an uncut source could be found, would far outsell Two Lane Blacktop until I checked out the ranking for Faccia a Faccia, a great Spaghetti Western, and saw how low it was. Then again it is not in the MoC series so may miss out as a result.

Sono's Guilty Of Romance is doing sort of OK at 5573 and 6952 for SD and BD. Both quite some way ahead of his Cold Fish which I thought would have been the more attractive option for that fan base.

It and Faccia a Faccia were two of my favourite Eureka releases last year and I wonder why they did not make the MoC roster. But a mental note to myself and one to everybody else to remember and check out the non-MoC Eureka thread and releases.

I think there is a potential for Birth Of A Nation to be a big seller in the right circumstances. Or should I say wrong circumstances...

eerik

#358 Post by eerik » Mon Apr 16, 2012 3:49 pm

Goodbye message from Nick:
Last month I decided to step down from my role at MoC so I can pursue personal projects. I'm 'on tap' until 31 May, then a clear horizon. The MoC Series will be continuing as normal. The last 2 on my watch will be the 2 Wilders in June. Thanks to Eureka for helping me realise the MoC Series over the last 8.5 years. And thanks to everyone who bought an MoC edition, and everyone who wrote saying how much they love us. You know who you are. Much love! If you really love someone's work, write to them and let them know. It keeps them going. I'm going to do a bit of that now I've got time -NW
Last edited by eerik on Mon Apr 16, 2012 3:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

perkizitore

#359 Post by perkizitore » Mon Apr 16, 2012 3:56 pm

!!! Who is going to take over now?

MichaelB

#360 Post by MichaelB » Mon Apr 16, 2012 4:04 pm

perkizitore wrote:!!! Who is going to take over now?
Although Nick had by far the highest profile round these parts, MoC was never a one-man show: he'll obviously be sorely missed, but I have every confidence that Craig and Jon are more than up to the challenge.

cdnchris
Site Admin

#361 Post by cdnchris » Mon Apr 16, 2012 4:28 pm

perkizitore wrote:!!! Who is going to take over now?
Lenny, of course.
May his reign of terror be a prosperous one.

perkizitore

#362 Post by perkizitore » Mon Apr 16, 2012 4:33 pm

I am aware that MoC was not entirely run by Nick, but it always seemed that this was his baby.

zedz

#363 Post by zedz » Mon Apr 16, 2012 4:36 pm

Well, congratulations to Nick for his great achievements over the years, and best of luck for his new projects.

And I hope he's going to stay around here in his own right.

neilist

#364 Post by neilist » Mon Apr 16, 2012 4:52 pm

Thanks Nick for all the hard work you've done with MoC, I've really enjoyed your efforts. Best of luck with the future.

peerpee
not perpee

#365 Post by peerpee » Mon Apr 16, 2012 4:56 pm

Thanks everyone! --- For the first few years, the MoC Series was two people (me and a revolving door of friends). Craig and Andrew started doing bits and bobs for MoC back in 2006ish, with Craig now being the longest serving fulltimer other than me. Andrew went fulltime last year, and Jon has been fulltime for nearly 3 years I think. So a strong team of 3 (Craig, Andrew, and Jon) is pretty healthy. I've got complete faith in them and the focus will remain on quality instead of quantity.

One of my favourite parts of the job was doing the art direction - so I'll miss that the most, and probably be bitching about the covers if they're not up to snuff!

swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

#366 Post by swo17 » Mon Apr 16, 2012 5:08 pm

Thanks for all you've done Nick, and best wishes! I wonder how similar tastes are between the four of you--like, with you gone, might we see more or less emphasis on certain directors, films from certain countries/time periods, etc.?

Calvin

#367 Post by Calvin » Mon Apr 16, 2012 5:09 pm

I can only reiterate what the others have said; thank you for your hard work and dedication over the years and good luck wherever the wind may take you.

RossyG

#368 Post by RossyG » Mon Apr 16, 2012 5:13 pm

So long and thanks for all the great BDs.

peerpee
not perpee

#369 Post by peerpee » Mon Apr 16, 2012 5:21 pm

swo17 wrote:Thanks for all you've done Nick, and best wishes! I wonder how similar tastes are between the four of you--like, with you gone, might we see more or less emphasis on certain directors, films from certain countries/time periods, etc.?
What MoC put out is dictated much more by available restorations and the affordability or luck-of-the-draw nature of acquisitions -- rather than our individual personal tastes (which are all subtly different).

Any decent opportunity that arose between 2004-2012 was grabbed with both hands, and would probably have been grabbed by most of you too!

It's a strange business - we're not really flicking through imdb wondering what to release next.

tenia
Ask Me About My Bassoon

#370 Post by tenia » Mon Apr 16, 2012 5:25 pm

Even if I know that MoC never was a one-man-job, Nick, as a very talkative front man, will be missed for sure, but I can only wish him the best for the years to come.

After all, he helped MoC to become what they are : one of the best label in the world.

Cheers, Nick !

bigP

#371 Post by bigP » Mon Apr 16, 2012 5:53 pm

Thanks for all your hard work over the years Nick, and thanks giving us all the opportunity to see some of the greatest films released with the greatest of care. Best of luck in the future!

warren oates

#372 Post by warren oates » Mon Apr 16, 2012 6:18 pm

Let me echo the thanks and good wishes everyone has posted so far. I've been a fan of MoC since before it was a label. So a very big thanks, Nick, for introducing me to so many great films over the years and good luck with whatever is next.

Finch

#373 Post by Finch » Mon Apr 16, 2012 6:19 pm

Didn't see that one coming! I wish you all the best for your future projects, Nick, and that they come to fruition quickly. Can't thank you enough for the hard work you've put in, and like everyone else, I've got total confidence in Craig, Jon and Andrew to maintain the high quality of MoC's output.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#374 Post by domino harvey » Mon Apr 16, 2012 6:23 pm

Nick, I wish your new job was telling American labels how to do this sort of thing right

Jeff

#375 Post by Jeff » Mon Apr 16, 2012 6:41 pm

domino harvey wrote:Nick, I wish your new job was telling American labels how to do this sort of thing right
Seconded. Many thanks Nick and company for all the wonderful releases, and I'm looking forward to many more. What better way to go out in style than with the two Wilders!

Nick, and Jon (come back!), and Craig were all valued posters here and at our previous incarnations long before the MoC label existed, which is what makes MoC feel like such a part of this forum. (Does Andrew post here as well?)

I hope whatever adventures that you are off to next, Nick, you will continue to be a contributor around here. Best of luck to you in whatever the future holds!