The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo (David Fincher, 2011)

Discussions of specific films and franchises.
ambrose

Re: The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo (David Fincher, 2011)

#51 Post by ambrose » Fri Jan 14, 2011 7:52 am

greggster59 wrote:
John Cope wrote:
greggster59 wrote:She's the Franco Nero to Noomi's Clint Eastwood.
But Franco Nero is cool!
Not as cool as Clint.
That is entirely subjective!

martin

#52 Post by martin » Fri Jan 14, 2011 8:18 am

matrixschmatrix wrote:I avoided the Swedish version of this (and the book) because I'm pretty uncomfortable with the rape-as-entertainment kind of narrative- it sounds like you aren't supposed to enjoy the actual rape, but the overall work is supposed to be action oriented, not very thoughtful fun? That seems kind of repellent to me, but I'm sure the actual way its handled would have a lot of impact on that criticism- can anyone who's read the book (or seen the movie) give me some insight into that?
Neither the novel nor the original movie can be described as rape-as-entertainment. The novel's original Swedish title means "Men who hates women", and the novel is a very thorough critique of any man who treats women badly! But the novel (and film) is - although grounded in a mainstream genre - a complex multi-layered work with many themes or narratives. The initial story is a journalist searching for a girl who disappeared a long time ago. During his investigations he discovers that a very big Swedish corporation seems to be run by ruthless nazis, and has been run by nazis for almost a century.

He also discoveres that a lot of girls and women have disappeared over the years. This layer of the novel (and film) unfolds like any serial-killer story. And the mutilated bodies are another example of women-treated-badly.

The notorious rape scene is really minor in comparison with the overall narratives, but it has a big impact on an audience. But basically it's just another example of a man 'hating women'. The initial story - the search for the lost girl - is also related to the overall "Men who hates women"-theme iirc (BIG spoiler below!):
SpoilerShow
The girl ran away because of incestuous abuse.

Jean-Luc Garbo

#53 Post by Jean-Luc Garbo » Fri Jan 14, 2011 10:47 am

Cold Bishop wrote:It's a magazine spread! Whaddaya expect?
The film needs all the publicity it can get as Mara isn't exactly a household name and this remake is based on a successful film that many will probably wonder why they should see again even if it is Fincher. Laughing at the "goth" transformation, though.

tavernier

#54 Post by tavernier » Fri Jan 14, 2011 10:50 am

The original movie only made $10 million in the US, so obviously most of the people who devoured the book didn't bother to read the movie. I'm sure they'll see it now that it will be properly translated into an American movie.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#55 Post by domino harvey » Fri Jan 14, 2011 12:57 pm

John Cope wrote:What's being unsurprisingly neglected here is any acknowledgment of just how good Roony Mara was in the criminally underrated Nightmare on Elm Street reboot. She was properly traumatized and stricken but also lent an unusual air of grave conviction to a difficult role (Fire Walk With Me re-imagined as straight horror) that worked superbly to convey the lingering effects of trauma so necesary to that film's impact. She's no simple "Goth Grrl" but a very real and special find.
Wait, so it was actually good? I thought the trailer for the remake looked really promising and was all geared up to see it and then literally everyone in the entire world said it was awful. My interest is piqued again

John Cope

#56 Post by John Cope » Fri Jan 14, 2011 1:23 pm

Well, I think it's good (great even). But everyone else in the entire world may disagree.

willoneill

#57 Post by willoneill » Fri Jan 14, 2011 1:40 pm

I was in the same boat as Domino ... trailer looked awesome, Jackie Earl Hailey seemed to be doing his slightly different own thing, as opposed to just copying Robert Eglund (sp?). I had no idea who Rooney Mara was in it. I find her and her older sister to be two really interesting young actresses.

The remake must be cheap on blu-ray somewhere by now, I'll have to seek it out.

mfunk9786
Under Chris' Protection

#58 Post by mfunk9786 » Fri Jan 14, 2011 1:40 pm

I will say, the shot of her with a tear in her eye in her dorm room in The Social Network is the one that will always stick with me from that film.

I had very much the same vibe watching her in that film that I did watching Amy Adams' criminally underrated supporting performance in Catch Me If You Can: This girl's going to be a big star

cdnchris
Site Admin

#59 Post by cdnchris » Fri Jan 14, 2011 2:12 pm

domino harvey wrote:Wait, so it was actually good? I thought the trailer for the remake looked really promising and was all geared up to see it and then literally everyone in the entire world said it was awful. My interest is piqued again
It wasn't awful and that's my faint praise. I think the worst part is I can't recall much of it other than a couple of inventive sequences, and I honestly don't recall Mara. I think I was most disappointed by Haley, who I thought was a great choice for Freddy. And though I'm not a huge fan of the original series I wasn't thrilled with the changes to the Freddy character, despite the fact there was an interesting subplot as to whether he did what he was accused of.
SpoilerShow
I'm referring to how the new film has made him a full out pedophile now.
I will say, the shot of her with a tear in her eye in her dorm room in The Social Network is the one that will always stick with me from that film.
It's weird, I don't remember her at all in Nightmare but she stuck out to me in the film simply with that one shot (plus the opening between her and Eisenberg helped.) And though I attribute this more to Fincher and Sorkin, her precence is always felt as well throughout that film, if only because you know she's always in the back of Zuckerberg's mind. Although I agree she has the potential to be a star, I still think she got really lucky in being cast in The Social Network.

rs98762001

#60 Post by rs98762001 » Fri Jan 14, 2011 5:29 pm

Mara just looks silly in those photos.

R0lf

#61 Post by R0lf » Sat Jan 15, 2011 5:13 am

The photos look like Tim Burton's Girl With The Dragon Tattoo.

greggster59

#62 Post by greggster59 » Sat Jan 15, 2011 6:28 pm

Indeed. As is almost everything anyone utters. Funny you should use the Django clip as an example. It was at a screening of Django may years ago that I heard some people saying that Nero was a better Lancelot (Camelot) than as a Man With No Name clone.

flyonthewall2983

#63 Post by flyonthewall2983 » Fri May 27, 2011 6:51 pm

A red-band trailer is playing in Europe already, and will premiere state-side this week as an opener to select prints of Hangover 2. As the article states, a green-band trailer will be online June 2nd.

Anhedionisiac
the Displeasure Principle

#65 Post by Anhedionisiac » Sat May 28, 2011 4:53 pm

Nice to see he's still really good at cutting trailers

Chance Hale

#66 Post by Chance Hale » Sat May 28, 2011 6:33 pm

domino harvey wrote:Here it is, while it lasts
Ouch, that gave me a bit of a headache. It is good to see that it seems to be going in a different direction then the Swedish orignal.

I do hope the actual film isn't so stylized/frantic though.

Roger Ryan

#67 Post by Roger Ryan » Sun May 29, 2011 11:29 am

If you've seen the Swedish version, you'll realize that this trailer manages to reveal every key scene from beginning to end. It epitomizes the idea quoted by an anonymous movie executive in a recent Roger Ebert article that trailers are now designed to giveaway everything important about a film so the audience will know exactly what they're getting.

Jeff

#68 Post by Jeff » Sun May 29, 2011 11:51 am

Roger Ryan wrote:If you've seen the Swedish version, you'll realize that this trailer manages to reveal every key scene from beginning to end. It epitomizes the idea quoted by an anonymous movie executive in a recent Roger Ebert article that trailers are now designed to giveaway everything important about a film so the audience will know exactly what they're getting.
It shows snippets of a lot of scenes, many of which will be familiar to those who've read the book or seen the Swedish film, but with cuts every second or two, it seems pretty abstract. I don't feel like it gives away anything other than the look of the film. Without any dialog, those who aren't familiar with the story already certainly wouldn't be able to glean anything about the plot from that trailer.

Roger Ryan

#69 Post by Roger Ryan » Sun May 29, 2011 12:03 pm

Jeff wrote:
Roger Ryan wrote:If you've seen the Swedish version, you'll realize that this trailer manages to reveal every key scene from beginning to end. It epitomizes the idea quoted by an anonymous movie executive in a recent Roger Ebert article that trailers are now designed to giveaway everything important about a film so the audience will know exactly what they're getting.
It shows snippets of a lot of scenes, many of which will be familiar to those who've read the book or seen the Swedish film, but with cuts every second or two, it seems pretty abstract. I don't feel like it gives away anything other than the look of the film. Without any dialog, those who aren't familiar with the story already certainly wouldn't be able to glean anything about the plot from that trailer.
You're right, I probably overreacted. But going into the Swedish version, I was unaware of the degree of violence or jeopardy that certain lead characters would be put through which added to my enjoyment of it. This trailer reveals things I would prefer to have not known if coming to this version fresh. All the same, I understand that Fincher reworked the final act which has me intrigued as that was the weakest element of the original Swedish version.

rs98762001

#70 Post by rs98762001 » Sun May 29, 2011 1:28 pm

It looks exactly as you'd imagine Fincher's version of this to look. However I must admit I was disarmed by the "feel bad movie of Christmas" tagline.

kaujot

#71 Post by kaujot » Sun May 29, 2011 3:03 pm

Well, you certainly don't finish the book feeling happy for all the protagonists.

HistoryProf

#72 Post by HistoryProf » Sun May 29, 2011 9:37 pm

rs98762001 wrote:It looks exactly as you'd imagine Fincher's version of this to look. However I must admit I was disarmed by the "feel bad movie of Christmas" tagline.
I was torn between rolling my eyes and thinking "what a great tagline!" as someone who absolutely loved the Swedish version (of this, not so much the 2nd and 3rd), I was definitely in the "why bother?" camp. This has at least piqued my interest though. I do hope he hasn't gone all Tony Scott as the Trailer suggests though, because that would be a travesty.

The Elegant Dandy Fop

#73 Post by The Elegant Dandy Fop » Sun May 29, 2011 11:42 pm

HistoryProf wrote:
rs98762001 wrote:It looks exactly as you'd imagine Fincher's version of this to look. However I must admit I was disarmed by the "feel bad movie of Christmas" tagline.
I was torn between rolling my eyes and thinking "what a great tagline!" as someone who absolutely loved the Swedish version (of this, not so much the 2nd and 3rd), I was definitely in the "why bother?" camp. This has at least piqued my interest though. I do hope he hasn't gone all Tony Scott as the Trailer suggests though, because that would be a travesty.
I think after Fincher's last three movies, I don't think he'll be go anywhere near Tony Scott territory. I just don't think it's in him. Even in his most standard (which it isn't exactly) thriller The Game, he's more meticulous and detailed orientated than Tony Scott and goes for plot and character development over plot gimmicks, coincidence and action.

Tom Hagen

#74 Post by Tom Hagen » Mon May 30, 2011 2:25 am

That Reznor/Karen O cover of "Immigrant Song" is pretty awesome. That is all.

CircusVocabulary

#75 Post by CircusVocabulary » Mon May 30, 2011 3:30 am

domino harvey wrote:
John Cope wrote:What's being unsurprisingly neglected here is any acknowledgment of just how good Roony Mara was in the criminally underrated Nightmare on Elm Street reboot. She was properly traumatized and stricken but also lent an unusual air of grave conviction to a difficult role (Fire Walk With Me re-imagined as straight horror) that worked superbly to convey the lingering effects of trauma so necesary to that film's impact. She's no simple "Goth Grrl" but a very real and special find.
Wait, so it was actually good? I thought the trailer for the remake looked really promising and was all geared up to see it and then literally everyone in the entire world said it was awful. My interest is piqued again
No, it is not actually good. It isn't underrated, it's pure cash-grab trash. Totally boring, lazy and uninteresting. It is NOTHING like Fire Walk With Me. And FWWM IS straight horror.