'Forthcoming' Lists Discussion and Random Speculation Vol.2

News on Criterion and Janus Films.

justeleblanc

Re: 'Forthcoming' Lists Discussion and Random Speculation Vol.2

#2 Post by justeleblanc » Wed Jul 01, 2009 3:58 pm

Criterion just tweeted about AWAY WE GO for no apparent reason.... it is a FOCUS film after all.

souvenir

#3 Post by souvenir » Wed Jul 01, 2009 3:59 pm

justeleblanc wrote:Criterion just tweeted about AWAY WE GO for no apparent reason.... it is a FOCUS film after all.
I think the reason for that was to link to Jamie Rich's Criterion Confessions site, apparently the favorite and possibly only blog the Criterion twitter tweeter knows.

ianungstad

#4 Post by ianungstad » Wed Jul 01, 2009 5:39 pm

justeleblanc wrote:Criterion just tweeted about AWAY WE GO for no apparent reason.... it is a FOCUS film after all.
They spotlighted the Japanese film The Clone Returns to the Homeland on the site in the last week as well, comparing the film to Tarkovsky's Solaris and bringing attention to the forthcoming screening at the New York Asian Film Festival. I was half wondering why they were pumping the film...then I noticed that Wim Wenders is the producer on the film. They could be doing it as a favor to Wim, or possibly he convinced Criterion to license the film when they were working together on the forthcoming Wender releases.

As for the Mendes title...well, it would be better than Benjamin Button. It does seem a little odd that they "tweeted" it, considering all the other official "tweets" (god I hate that word) are for known Criterion titles. Interesting bit of speculation at least. Anyone know if Mendes is a Criterion fan? Personally, I think it was just meant as a link to the Criterion Confessions site.

kaujot

#5 Post by kaujot » Wed Jul 01, 2009 6:14 pm

I can't think of a director who isn't a fan, or at the very least, has anything bad to say about them.

justeleblanc

#6 Post by justeleblanc » Wed Jul 01, 2009 6:23 pm

That's a decent explanation, but since it was Focus I figured I'd throw it out there. Keep an eye out for an Eggers top 10 list on their next newsletter is all I'm saying.

CSM126

#7 Post by CSM126 » Wed Jul 01, 2009 6:30 pm

Criterion tweets literally every single post on Rich's blog, so this likely doesn't mean a thing.

Fiery Angel

#8 Post by Fiery Angel » Wed Jul 01, 2009 7:42 pm

ianungstad wrote:As for the Mendes title...well, it would be better than Benjamin Button.
No. I hated BB, but AWG is screechy, fingernails-on-the-blackboard, obnoxiously awful.

psufootball07

#9 Post by psufootball07 » Sat Jul 04, 2009 10:36 am

Any chance that with the possible future release of Che, that we could also receive My Winnipeg by Guy Maddin as there is no R1 DVD release?

ptatler

#10 Post by ptatler » Sat Jul 04, 2009 10:58 am

psufootball07 wrote:Any chance that with the possible future release of Che, that we could also receive My Winnipeg by Guy Maddin as there is no R1 DVD release?
It's out on R1, in limited supply.

knives

#11 Post by knives » Sat Jul 04, 2009 9:02 pm

Personally I'm hoping this new film influx means Don't Look Now will get a jazzed up DVD release, maybe Easy Rider and Five Easy Pieces too.

El Manchego

#12 Post by El Manchego » Thu Jul 09, 2009 11:03 pm

From the Upcoming Movies on TV thread:
Fiery Angel wrote:FWIW, Peppermint Frappe was shown on IFC today with a Criterion Collection logo preceding it.
More specifically this was the Janus logo and the Criterion widescreen digital transfer graphic; the film is airing again on the 24th for those who are interested. I would love a Saura/Azcona Eclipse box featuring Peppermint Frappe, The Garden of Delights, Ana and the Wolves, and Cousin Angelica but I think domino will get two Gorin boxes before we ever see another Saura box. Nevermind the fact that Los golfos and La caza would be more likely candidates for being introduced to region 1. In the meantime, I'll continue dreaming that we'll see any of these films on shelves in the near future.

knives

#13 Post by knives » Fri Jul 10, 2009 2:10 am

Out of curiosity does Crit have control of any other Gordon films?

fdm

#14 Post by fdm » Sat Jul 11, 2009 8:42 am

knives wrote:Personally I'm hoping this new film influx means Don't Look Now will get a jazzed up DVD release, maybe Easy Rider and Five Easy Pieces too.
Easy Rider is getting a blu-ray release from Sony in September. Guessing it will be one of those digibooks like they used for their Strangelove blu-ray.

Magic Hate Ball

#15 Post by Magic Hate Ball » Sat Jul 11, 2009 8:10 pm

Random, ungrounded speculation: who holds the rights to The Umbrellas Of Cherbourg? The current DVD sucks, and I can only imagine how stunning it would be remastered/on BR.

ianungstad

#16 Post by ianungstad » Sat Jul 11, 2009 8:19 pm

^ Koch Lorber. I emailed them this past spring. Their rights are not about to expire and they do not have plans for a special edition.

Magic Hate Ball

#17 Post by Magic Hate Ball » Sat Jul 11, 2009 10:06 pm

That sucks even more than the DVD.

Ashirg

#18 Post by Ashirg » Sat Jul 11, 2009 10:57 pm

Speaking of Koch Lorber, did they ever clear the issue with Los Olvidados? "If You Love It, Let It Go!" (to Criterion)...

Bloody Benten

#19 Post by Bloody Benten » Mon Jul 13, 2009 5:59 pm

This might have been discussed at one point but why is Cocktail Molotov, Cousin Cousine and Sanshiro Sugata still not released yet? I have no interest in any of those titles btw, I just want to hear the story

Jeff

#20 Post by Jeff » Mon Jul 13, 2009 6:51 pm

Bloody Benten wrote:This might have been discussed at one point but why is Cocktail Molotov, Cousin Cousine and Sanshiro Sugata still not released yet? I have no interest in any of those titles btw, I just want to hear the story
Criterion used to occasionally get a little overly ambitious in announcing upcoming titles in their catalogs. That was necessary because they would likely have long lead times for printing the catalogs, and would only print a couple per year. Titles would (and I assume still do) fall through the cracks early in the production process all the time due to a myriad of issues. I think in most of those cases, unsatisfactory elements were to blame. They could still come to pass eventually, and the fact that they were there in the first place suggests that Criterion has (or had) the rights. Tales of Hoffman came out years after it was announced.

HerrSchreck

#21 Post by HerrSchreck » Mon Jul 13, 2009 7:17 pm

Exhibits A & B: Pandora's Box, and Vampyr. I heard that Neville Chamberlain made a mess out of the Munich accords because he kept slipping out to the Kims Video on the Maximilianstrasse to check for the DVD of Dreyer's Vampyr which he was expecting from CC any minute, from the announcement he got in his Chasing Amy DVD.

zedz

#22 Post by zedz » Mon Jul 13, 2009 7:33 pm

HerrSchreck wrote:Exhibits A & B: Pandora's Box, and Vampyr. I heard that Neville Chamberlain made a mess out of the Munich accords because he kept slipping out to the Kims Video on the Maximilianstrasse to check for the DVD of Dreyer's Vampyr which he was expecting from CC any minute, from the announcement he got in his Chasing Amy DVD.
Check out those newsreel outtakes: " I have in my hand a piece of paper. It is a catalogue from the Criterion Collection, and it definitely says they'll be releasing Vampyr really really soon. But nothing is certain at this time."

Cinephrenic

#23 Post by Cinephrenic » Tue Jul 14, 2009 7:18 pm

Anyone think some kind of Robert Downey Sr. Eclipse set is in the works?

Tribe
The Bastard Spawn of Hank Williams

#24 Post by Tribe » Tue Jul 14, 2009 9:36 pm

Cinephrenic wrote:Anyone think some kind of Robert Downey Sr. Eclipse set is in the works?
Image released Putney Swope under the Home Vision Entertainment imprint, which may be some feeble indication that at some point in time HVE (and perhaps Criterion) had some dealings for his other films.