540 The Darjeeling Limited

Discuss releases by Criterion and the films on them. Threads may contain spoilers!
Magic Hate Ball

#376 Post by Magic Hate Ball » Tue Dec 11, 2007 4:10 pm

I'd love to see Anderson branch out and try adapting a book (that isn't written by Roald Dahl).
GoldenPilgrim wrote:
justeleblanc wrote:
domino harvey wrote:Release Date: 02/26/2008-- Not on Criterion
Glad to see Criterion finally wises up and stops wasting their time with hipster/dooshe aesthetics.

salt --> wounds \:D/
Uh, I bet Criterion would release this if it could. Even so, you SURE got all of the Darjeeling fan's with that doozy!
Yeah, I sure feel "dooshey" now.

Napoleon

#377 Post by Napoleon » Wed Dec 12, 2007 5:50 am

Narshty wrote:Darjeeling are basically a drag because none of the characters seem capable of having fun. The only thing worth seeing the film for is Anjelica Huston who somehow manages to be incredibly moving, though it may be because I was so starved for something resembling a real human being by that stage.
The key issue driving the narrative and the reason why the brothers were out there in the first place was their inability to have fun or behave like human beings.

Cinesimilitude

#378 Post by Cinesimilitude » Wed Dec 12, 2007 6:25 am

I am a huge fan of Rushmore, and a loyal fan of the rest of Anderson's work. Darjeeling had its moments, but it's my least favorite of his films. For me, Schwartzman saved the film. I would have much rather seen "Hotel Chevalier" explored as the feature, or atleast woven into Darjeeling with Portman in a much more substantial role.

manicsounds

#379 Post by manicsounds » Wed Dec 12, 2007 11:37 pm

Most likely only 1 disc

eez28

#380 Post by eez28 » Wed Dec 12, 2007 11:48 pm

According to dvdempire:

Features:
Hotel Chevalier
Deleted Scene
Featurette
Trailers

Joe Buck

#381 Post by Joe Buck » Thu Dec 13, 2007 12:40 am

Zissou rules.

Luke M

#382 Post by Luke M » Thu Dec 13, 2007 1:21 am

Where's the blu-ray?

cdnchris
Site Admin

#383 Post by cdnchris » Thu Dec 13, 2007 2:35 am

Luke M wrote:Where's the blu-ray?
I noticed Fox isn't yet doing blu-ray versions of some of their "indie" (I guess you can call them) films. Another that comes to mind is Waitress.

godardslave

#384 Post by godardslave » Thu Dec 13, 2007 2:59 am

i assume there will be a criterion 2dvd edition at some point relatively soon after?

colinr0380

#385 Post by colinr0380 » Thu Dec 13, 2007 7:49 am

godardslave wrote:i assume there will be a criterion 2dvd edition at some point relatively soon after?
With this being a Fox film and the other Criterion Anderson films being Touchstones there might also be a problem with making a deal with Fox to release a more recent film especially so soon after a theatrical release and in its premiere DVD edition. I think the most recent Fox film in the Criterion Collection is Kagemusha from 1980.

godardslave

#386 Post by godardslave » Thu Dec 13, 2007 1:56 pm

colinr0380 wrote:
godardslave wrote:i assume there will be a criterion 2dvd edition at some point relatively soon after?
With this being a Fox film and the other Criterion Anderson films being Touchstones there might also be a problem with making a deal with Fox to release a more recent film especially so soon after a theatrical release and in its premiere DVD edition. I think the most recent Fox film in the Criterion Collection is Kagemusha from 1980.
:( sad news.

The Elegant Dandy Fop

#387 Post by The Elegant Dandy Fop » Thu Dec 13, 2007 2:16 pm

Well, Ice Storm is Fox....

Narshty

#388 Post by Narshty » Thu Dec 13, 2007 5:23 pm

Given those specs, there's more than enough scope for a followup Criterion edition. I noticed a documentarian listed in the end credits, so there's all that material still to emerge.

Cinesimilitude

#389 Post by Cinesimilitude » Thu Dec 13, 2007 8:56 pm

they could be waiting to release darjeeling on criterion the same month that bottle rocket is ready.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#390 Post by domino harvey » Thu Dec 13, 2007 9:27 pm

Well, Peter Travers doesn't love very many movies, so high praise indeed!

Mr Pixies

#391 Post by Mr Pixies » Fri Dec 14, 2007 1:02 am

I thought I read somewhere (here somewhere?) that Jason Schwartzman said Criterion was working on this, so I'll hold of from buying it right away...

Lino

#392 Post by Lino » Fri Dec 14, 2007 1:20 am

The Life Aquatic is still being sold as both 1 disc and 2 discs editions, so I guess there's still hope...

LionelHutz

#393 Post by LionelHutz » Sat Dec 15, 2007 8:00 am

according to dvdtimes there's going to be a commentary,four feauturettes and the great short "Hotel Chevalier".
I understand this is a criterion forum but the specs seems good enough and the price will be considerably lower than a criterion release.
The conformist was one of last year's best release and sold incredibly cheap..yet some people would have preferred a criterion version :?

Jeff

#394 Post by Jeff » Sat Dec 15, 2007 3:08 pm

LionelHutz wrote:I understand this is a criterion forum but the specs seems good enough and the price will be considerably lower than a criterion release.
While I agree with you that it is not particularly important that Criterion release this, the MSRP is actually the same as Criterion's Royal Tenenbaums and Life Aquatic discs.

Gregory

#395 Post by Gregory » Sat Dec 15, 2007 5:20 pm

But if it's not Criterion it's much more likely that the price will drop over time. Criterion's policy about never dropping prices seems to suggest some kind of prestige-pricing approach.

Cronenfly

#396 Post by Cronenfly » Sat Dec 15, 2007 7:03 pm

Narshty wrote:Given those specs, there's more than enough scope for a followup Criterion edition. I noticed a documentarian listed in the end credits, so there's all that material still to emerge.
Just throwing this out there, even though it's probably not correct: perhaps Criterion traded its Darjeeling features (the footage in the 4 featurettes, the commentary-like CC did when they "gave back" Ebert's commentary for BtVotD) and its Young Mr. Lincoln disc in Ford at Fox for The Ice Storm.

Then again, maybe Darjeeling was never part of the Fox deal (and it was just Lincoln that got traded for The Ice Storm), with it being Fox's baby on DVD since inception. Though I have a hard time believing, given Anderson's relationship with CC, that they'd license out The Ice Storm but not (eventually) Darjeeling, maybe Fox got cold feet about letting go of such a new title. The Ice Storm makes sense, as it's a title Fox wouldn't likely ever have given a new edition itself, it's not brand new, and it's not especially high-profile (as mainstream films go).

Le Feu Follet

#397 Post by Le Feu Follet » Tue Dec 18, 2007 10:24 am

I don't remember being so little engaged by a film as I was by Zissou. There were a few people laughing out loud in the audience, but for me this was humour so vanishingly subtle that it wasn't humour at all, it was just actors speaking boring lines to each other, and it really held no interest for me. I just thought the movie was hugely misconceived. Well, I quite liked the boat.

I had really loved Rushmore and Tenenbaums, and I went to see Darjeeling with my fingers crossed hoping to like it, and I did enjoy the first twenty minutes, but then for me it just levelled off and became boring and even offensive. Some people have said to me that the script is very clever, but I really don't see it. It was just three Americans abroad in a country they knew or cared little about, a pretty old story, really. I got fed up with the bandage and was wondering how it stayed so white. I was irritated by the threeness of the story, three in a row, three one at a time through a door, etc, which clearly amused Anderson. For me very little happened that was interesting or amusing. Anderson is now officially off my watch list.

Michael

#398 Post by Michael » Tue Dec 18, 2007 10:37 am

Anderson is now officially off my watch list.
Same here. I no longer understand Anderson and the path he's taking. He keeps recycling his no longer "wow" trademark style without pushing it to a fresh direction. I longed for the sublime chemistry between Max, Mr. Blume and Miss Cross, which itself is the soul of Rushmore and it seems to me that Anderson forgets the soul and bogs his art down with the same musty style. He should take some notes from PT Anderson on how to take the new direction in filmmaking before collecting more mothballs.

justeleblanc

#399 Post by justeleblanc » Tue Dec 18, 2007 11:24 am

Now that you feel this way, go back and watch Tenenbaums.... you'll hate him even more.

Michael

#400 Post by Michael » Tue Dec 18, 2007 12:28 pm

justeleblanc wrote:Now that you feel this way, go back and watch Tenenbaums.... you'll hate him even more.
Most likely. But hate is a strong word and I don't hate Anderson. What ticks me the most about Anderson is all the "look! how deep" lines he forces into his films. It all feels pretty faux to me. His style was once fresh and pure (with some brilliant restraint and a big heart ) in Rushmore. I wish his style could evolve further without becoming messy and blah. His characters seem to be drowning in the quicksand of the same old musty style and in the end, I sadly don't give a fuck for any one of them.