Ingmar Bergman (1918-2007)

A subforum to discuss film culture and criticism.
Sortini

#201 Post by Sortini » Tue Aug 07, 2007 10:10 pm

In the Assayas/Bjorkman book, Bergman hints at some very serious problem with Ingrid in After the Rehearsal which resulted in that film being 35 minutes shorter than it was meant to be.

Anyway, as regards instructions to actors, nothing beats what Fellini had to say to Terence Stamp.

(I'm new here, sorry if this is an old joke to you).

BB

#202 Post by BB » Wed Aug 08, 2007 2:42 am

I liked the sense of seeing someone wrestle with big questions, even if in wrestling with huge, indefinable vagaries of religion or love Bergman laid the films themselves open to ridicule or for parody.

Any person or artist who speaks honestly and openly is subject to ridicule. It's much easier to hide behind irony. Bergman had balls of steel and what's more the raw talent to pull it off.

Alyosha

#203 Post by Alyosha » Wed Aug 08, 2007 2:48 am

David Ehrenstein wrote:Jonathan Rosenbaum rips Ingmar a new one in the NYT
Roger Ebert replies.

Oedipax

#204 Post by Oedipax » Wed Aug 08, 2007 2:54 am

Alyosha wrote:
David Ehrenstein wrote:Jonathan Rosenbaum rips Ingmar a new one in the NYT
Roger Ebert replies.
Yeah, the Ebert response is really puzzling - most obvious is his calling Rosenbaum "Rosenberg" a few times in the piece. But ultimately more problematic than that is he spends a couple paragraphs tearing down the exact opposite of a point Rosenbaum was making, I suppose because he misread it. Here's what Ebert says:
Who else but Rosenberg could actually believe that Bergman “lacked Dreyer and Bresson's power to entertain, which often meant a reluctance to challenge conventional film-going habitsâ€

Jeff

#205 Post by Jeff » Wed Aug 08, 2007 3:29 am

[quote="Oedipax"]Here's what Ebert says:

[quote]Who else but Rosenberg could actually believe that Bergman “lacked Dreyer and Bresson's power to entertain, which often meant a reluctance to challenge conventional film-going habitsâ€

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#206 Post by domino harvey » Wed Aug 08, 2007 3:35 am

Roger Ebert replies.
See, here's where I should have saved my "Did you mean to post that on the .com forum" line

tavernier

#207 Post by tavernier » Wed Aug 08, 2007 7:23 am

NY Times letters to the editor about Rosenbaum's article.

The best swing at Rosenbaum is saved for last (the editor of the letters page is obviously a Bergman fan, unlike the editor of the Op-Ed page):

[quote]It's worth noting that my 15-year-old son is a self-motivated devotee of classic foreign films and of Bergman in particular; and when I showed him Jonathan Rosenbaum's article, he was aghast. “Oh, man,â€

Barmy

#208 Post by Barmy » Wed Aug 08, 2007 11:57 am

Rosenbaum is a tool. However, it must be said that Bergman's "style" is middlebrow, bourgeois and, even, suburban. E.g. that dreadful "Smiles of a Summer Night". That is why he is an arthouse icon and won all those Oscars® and why housewives know who he is.

That said, I agree that his films are entertaining--most of them from the 50s on are, in some way.

Edited after I read the JR piece.
Last edited by Barmy on Wed Aug 08, 2007 12:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jorencain

#209 Post by jorencain » Wed Aug 08, 2007 12:10 pm

Barmy wrote:E.g. that dreadful "Smiles of a Summer Night".
WTF? I can't even fathom how the word "dreadful" can be attached to that film. I understand that you're above it all and can't be brought down to such a low level as to enjoy a film like this, but your dismissals of so many great films and directors is getting old. I can't tell if you are saying things just to piss people off or if you really believe all of these negatives things you have to say about so many people. Either way, it's a drag to read every day.

While "Smiles Of A Summer Night" wouldn't top my list of favorite Bergman films, it's still wonderful. The dialogue alone qualifies it as a great movie.

Michael

#210 Post by Michael » Wed Aug 08, 2007 12:19 pm

that dreadful "Smiles of a Summer Night".
Whew, another reason for me to be joyous that you're still not on my cruise.

MichaelB

#211 Post by MichaelB » Wed Aug 08, 2007 12:20 pm

On the other hand, I can't think of any more apposite adjectives than "suburban" to describe Persona and Hour of the Wolf.

Barmy

#212 Post by Barmy » Wed Aug 08, 2007 12:21 pm

I think SSN is smirky and gormless. Adultery is HI-LARIOUS!!!

tryavna

#213 Post by tryavna » Wed Aug 08, 2007 12:52 pm

It scares me, but I sort of agree with Barmy about Smiles of a Summer Night. I guess I just don't see its charm, but it's one of my least favorite Bergmans that I've seen. It's the kind of movie that the French, especially Renoir, did so much more successfully.

Eclisse

#214 Post by Eclisse » Wed Aug 08, 2007 12:53 pm

A little 2 page tribute to Bergman and Antonioni on EW. Quotes from Scorsese and Elliott Gould:

Scorsese
Bergman was a giant;Antonioni was another.Both of them cast very,very long shadows.
Elliott Gould
Ingmar was always digging.He told me that, up until that time,his two best films were Persona and Winter Light.And the message in Winter Light is that even if there's nobody on the congregation,you must continue to deliver the message...That's what he's doing right now

Michael

#215 Post by Michael » Wed Aug 08, 2007 1:02 pm

I actually prefer Smiles of a Summer Night a lot more than Persona and Hour of the Wolf. It's full of charm and bitter humor, capturing the laziness of a summer day better than any other films, except for Dazed and Confused and Meatballs. It's sort of Bergman's Rules of the Game with all the swinging but of course it's very slight if sitting next to Renoir's opus. Plus a suicide attempt that turns out ultimately funny and romantic. I love that dinner gathering with the mom. And the windmill. It's a very beautiful, fun and simple film that never fails to leave me with a smile.

jorencain

#216 Post by jorencain » Wed Aug 08, 2007 2:11 pm

Michael wrote:I actually prefer Smiles of a Summer Night a lot more than Persona and Hour of the Wolf. It's full of charm and bitter humor, capturing the laziness of a summer day better than any other films, except for Dazed and Confused and Meatballs. It's sort of Bergman's Rules of the Game with all the swinging but of course it's very slight if sitting next to Renoir's opus. Plus a suicide attempt that turns out ultimately funny and romantic. I love that dinner gathering with the mom. And the windmill. It's a very beautiful, fun and simple film that never fails to leave me with a smile.
=D> I second that.

Mr Sausage

#217 Post by Mr Sausage » Wed Aug 08, 2007 8:07 pm

Barmy wrote:However, it must be said that Bergman's "style" is middlebrow, bourgeois and, even, suburban.
At least he escapes the middling banality of your statement.
Barmy wrote:Adultery is HI-LARIOUS!!!
Yes, it is, and has been since the late sixteenth century. Cuckoldry is one of the major themes of stage comedy (that and cross-dressing).

I do like Smiles of a Summer Night, I think it has a pleasant charm to it; but speaking of Bergman and the stage, the script--specifically its structure, themes, character-types--is heavily infused with theatrical convention, is indeed lifted from the tradition of stage comedy. Don't confuse that with saying it's a filmed play, it is not. But its debts to the theatre are large and obvious.

Barmy

#218 Post by Barmy » Thu Aug 09, 2007 11:44 am

Yes, it is, and has been since the late sixteenth century. Cuckoldry is one of the major themes of stage comedy (that and cross-dressing).
Umm, that's why it is so BORING now. It's been done and done and done. To death.

tavernier

#219 Post by tavernier » Thu Aug 09, 2007 11:51 am

Barmy wrote:
Umm, that's why it is so BORING now. It's been done and done and done. To death.
Hasn't everything?

Barmy

#220 Post by Barmy » Thu Aug 09, 2007 12:15 pm

No. Mutilating your labia with a piece of glass has only been done once.

MichaelB

#221 Post by MichaelB » Thu Aug 09, 2007 12:16 pm

Barmy wrote:No. Mutilating your labia with a piece of glass has only been done once.
And you think this would have improved Smiles of a Summer Night?

Barmy

#222 Post by Barmy » Thu Aug 09, 2007 12:20 pm

Yes. It might have made it funny.

Mr Sausage

#223 Post by Mr Sausage » Thu Aug 09, 2007 12:47 pm

Barmy wrote:
I might buy that if I thought you were actually aware of its tradition before today.

tavernier

#224 Post by tavernier » Thu Aug 09, 2007 2:47 pm

Woody on Bergman in Sunday's NY Times.

portnoy

#225 Post by portnoy » Fri Aug 10, 2007 4:19 pm

Can you post it for those of us who don't have TimesSelect?