10 Fill 'er Up with Super

Discuss releases by Radiance and the films on them.
swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

10 Fill 'er Up with Super

#1 Post by swo17 » Wed Sep 14, 2022 11:42 pm

Fill 'er Up with Super

Klouk (Bernard Crombey) is a car salesman who has to miss a family holiday to deliver a luxury Chevrolet station wagon to his boss' wealthy client. He decides to take his friend Philippe (Xavier Saint-Macary) along with him for the ride across the length of France from Lille to the Cote d'Azur. On the way they give a lift to hitchhiker Charles (Etienne Chicot) who also brings along his friend Daniel (Patrick Bouchitey). A buddy road movie that came together from genuine friendship developed throughout the months-long script workshop giving the film a casual and naturalistic quality that pre-dates Richard Linklater's similar approaches by some decades. A meditation on friendship and masculinity, this was one of the last films Alain Cavalier made before approaching more experimental forms of filmmaking but prefigures his later breaking down of fiction and documentary barriers with the freewheeling approach of Fill 'er up with Super.

Limited Edition Special Features:

• 2K restoration of the film from the original negative
• Original uncompressed stereo PCM audio
• Archival interviews with the cast
• More extras TBC
• Trailer
• Reversible sleeve featuring designs based on original posters
• Limited edition booklet featuring new writing on the film and archival writing to be confirmed
• Limited edition of 2000 copies, presented in full-height Scanavo packaging with removable OBI strip leaving packaging free of certificates and markings

criterionsnob

Re: 10 Fill 'er Up with Super

#2 Post by criterionsnob » Thu Feb 23, 2023 1:49 pm

Beaver. I'm loving these Radiance titles so far.

foggy eyes

#3 Post by foggy eyes » Thu Feb 23, 2023 7:57 pm

Really impressed they de-piss-yellow-ified the master that's already out there (on blu). Looks great!

tenia
Ask Me About My Bassoon

#4 Post by tenia » Fri Feb 24, 2023 4:53 am

I remember this one as being typical Eclair-grading, good for Radiance to go ahead and try and remove that (I'd have known, I'd have requested a check disc to cover this and do a comparison with the Gaumont disc !).

Drucker
Your Future our Drucker

#5 Post by Drucker » Wed Dec 27, 2023 11:12 pm

This is one of the most remarkable things I've ever seen. I loved every moment of this film and could have spent hours with these characters. I hate to compare it to anything contemporary (e.g. this movie is better made than most current films due to XYZ), but what an economical way to tell a story throughout. We are given little bits and pieces of four characters, and the way they live on screen is all we need to know about what their back-story is and what drives them. The film allows for so much ambiguity and openness, just placing four people at the same time and place, and allowing them to bond. Some of this film is comically dated, like when one of the characters gets on the top of a car while it drives down a highway. Some parts reminded me of conversations I had when I was a teenager (bonding over sex with your buddies) which feels so far away these days. But I was totally engrossed throughout, and feel like this is a textbook case of the kind of movie I wish we could have more of, but then again, it truly is one of a kind. (at least along with a few other films the liner notes reference, such as Husbands and We Won't Grow Old Together!