Radiance Films General Discussion & Wishlist

Discuss releases by Radiance and the films on them.
vsski

Re: Radiance Films General Discussion & Wishlist

#526 Post by vsski » Sat Dec 03, 2022 12:52 am

Quite a few movies that I haven’t seen in a while, like the Damiani, Squitieri and Molinari, and I remember liking them all. Glad I jumped on the Radiance bandwagon.

pzadvance

#527 Post by pzadvance » Sat Dec 03, 2022 7:45 am

What's the Japanese film on the bottom row?

EDIT: nvm, saw the thread for Yakuza Graveyard

Stefan Andersson

#528 Post by Stefan Andersson » Sun Dec 04, 2022 1:07 pm

Good to hear, as per a recent post in the Criterion Discussion thread, that Radiance is interested in films by Theo Angelopoulos, even if the Angelopoulos estate did not respond this time.

Heimat is going OOP, and Second Sight does not at this time plan any other Heimat releases, according to a recent post on blu-ray.com.

Would Radiance be interested in releasing a Heimat collection? Including the Fragments movie, and perhaps adding the scenes deleted from the original version as extras (maybe they can be sourced from older masters)?

An essay in a Heimat 3 booklet might be dedicated to the Heimat novels by Edgar Reitz. I seem to remember reading somewhere that the Heimat 3 novel contains material which, for budget reasons, was deleted from the script.

Rundown of deleted scenes from Heimat:
https://heimat-fanpage.de/kinofassung-r ... zu-heimat/

yoloswegmaster

#529 Post by yoloswegmaster » Wed Dec 07, 2022 11:41 am

Radiance will now be distributing titles from Mauw Films. They also have merch:
SpoilerShow

criterionsnob

#530 Post by criterionsnob » Wed Dec 07, 2022 11:42 am

Radiance has announced a new partner label, Mawu Films. Their first release is Man Marked for Death, 20 Years Later.

Glowingwabbit

#531 Post by Glowingwabbit » Wed Dec 07, 2022 12:09 pm

yoloswegmaster wrote:
Wed Dec 07, 2022 11:41 am
Radiance will now be distributing titles from Mauw Films. They also have merch:
SpoilerShow

So excited that they are teaming up. I've been wanting to get my hands on that release and had hoped they'd find a way to distribute outside of the UK. I remember suggesting to Fran on twitter and in the discord about Mawu.

rapta

#532 Post by rapta » Wed Dec 07, 2022 2:44 pm

Glad to see Welcome to the Dollhouse confirmed for March, that was one from the initial slate I really wanted so I'll immediately pre-order that!

Happy that Radiance will be backing Mawu, was looking a bit ropey for them for a little bit as they'd announced one title and not much else since...let's hope this means they can flourish and introduce some similarly rare titles in the near future (I understand it'll largely be South American/Latin American and African cinema coming from them).

Nice merch as well! Would be interested in that Petri t-shirt eventually, but my wardrobe is full of t-shirts so I'll be happy to wait a bit longer.

Randall Maysin Again

#533 Post by Randall Maysin Again » Sun Dec 11, 2022 5:41 pm

Hey Radiance, how about....an Elio Peach Tree Dish?

yoloswegmaster

#534 Post by yoloswegmaster » Wed Dec 14, 2022 8:57 am

Radiance just posted an image of a book about Hong Kong neo-noir and said that they were reading it for research. I'm hoping that they are researching for any of Johnnie To's other films that haven't been released, such as The Longest Nite or Expect the Unexpected. I wouldn't even mind them releasing a boxset of the Long Arm of the Law films.

beamish14

#535 Post by beamish14 » Wed Dec 14, 2022 11:04 am

yoloswegmaster wrote:
Wed Dec 14, 2022 8:57 am
Radiance just posted an image of a book about Hong Kong neo-noir and said that they were reading it for research. I'm hoping that they are researching for any of Johnnie To's other films that haven't been released, such as The Longest Nite or Expect the Unexpected. I wouldn't even mind them releasing a boxset of the Long Arm of the Law films.

Do you happen to remember the title of the book? I’d love to read that

yoloswegmaster

#536 Post by yoloswegmaster » Wed Dec 14, 2022 11:08 am

beamish14 wrote:
Wed Dec 14, 2022 11:04 am
yoloswegmaster wrote:
Wed Dec 14, 2022 8:57 am

Do you happen to remember the title of the book? I’d love to read that
It's called "Hong Kong Neo-Noir" and it's written by Esther C. M. Yau and Tony Williams.

ryannichols7

#537 Post by ryannichols7 » Mon Dec 19, 2022 12:30 pm

January bundles are shipping! exciting to be part of the beginning of a new label!

to add something informative to my post, availability watch from the newsletter (which contained the Sight and Sound teaser image)
Big Time Gambling Boss 50+% sold out
The Working Class Goes to Heaven 50% sold out
Radiance Jun-Dec Bundle available just 12 more days - expires 31/12/22
Radiance UK-unique Jun-Dec Bundle available just 12 more days - expires 31/12/22
not at all shocked Big Time Gambling Boss is the bigger seller at the moment, Japanese titles I feel like have been very in demand with not a lot of output. hopefully we see a lot more.

CSM126

#538 Post by CSM126 » Sat Dec 24, 2022 2:57 pm

Tweet from Fran shows work in progress spines for Viridiana, Matador, Pastoral (To Die in the Country), Vixen, Visitor Q, Ms. 45 and The Third Part of the Night.

Calvin

#539 Post by Calvin » Sat Dec 24, 2022 3:03 pm

CSM126 wrote:Tweet from Fran shows work in progress spines for Viridiana, Matador, Pastoral (To Die in the Country), Vixen, Visitor Q, Ms. 45 and The Third Part of the Night.
I think this is literally just showing some experimenting with title lengths on spines. Terayama was discussed on the Discord last month and Radiance doesn't have his films under licence, though they are "trying". They "may have some estate issues."

ryannichols7

#540 Post by ryannichols7 » Sat Dec 24, 2022 3:12 pm

Buñuel was hinted though, and Fran confirmed there was a film on the Sight and Sound list. Viridiana was on the director list and is without a bluray, I think that's actually likely

Matador would be a great release too. one I'm surprised no one has done yet

beamish14

#541 Post by beamish14 » Sat Dec 24, 2022 3:14 pm

ryannichols7 wrote:
Sat Dec 24, 2022 3:12 pm
Buñuel was hinted though, and Fran confirmed there was a film on the Sight and Sound list. Viridiana was on the director list and is without a bluray, I think that's actually likely

Matador is still Sony, but I hope they can license it

A Terayama set would be unbelievable

ryannichols7

#542 Post by ryannichols7 » Sat Dec 24, 2022 3:15 pm

beamish14 wrote:
Sat Dec 24, 2022 3:14 pm
ryannichols7 wrote:
Sat Dec 24, 2022 3:12 pm

Matador is still Sony, but I hope they can license it

A Terayama set would be unbelievable
was Dollhouse from Sony? it is in the US. either way, that's an Almodovar we're way overdue on

swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

#543 Post by swo17 » Sat Dec 24, 2022 3:15 pm

Cutter's Way is definitely not getting a Radiance release. Also:
Radiance wrote:These are just an experiment before the label fully started

therewillbeblus

#544 Post by therewillbeblus » Sat Dec 24, 2022 3:20 pm

Hopefully he's still interested in Ms 45 and Viridiana

beamish14

#545 Post by beamish14 » Sat Dec 24, 2022 3:27 pm

It is weird with those Zulawski restorations. All of his 70’s Polish films received gorgeous new overhauls some years ago, but they have yet to be commercially released.

Calvin

#546 Post by Calvin » Sat Dec 24, 2022 3:34 pm

beamish14 wrote:It is weird with those Zulawski restorations. All of his 70’s Polish films received gorgeous new overhauls some years ago, but they have yet to be commercially released.
Well Second Run have only recently released their first Polish Blu-Ray (Wajda's War Trilogy) as Polish licensors had their licensing fees set very high for a long time. In the US, the Zulawski films are being worked on by the notoriously slow 'are they or aren't they in operation' Mondo Vision. And French releases are forthcoming from Le Chat qui fume.

beamish14

#547 Post by beamish14 » Sat Dec 24, 2022 3:43 pm

Calvin wrote:
Sat Dec 24, 2022 3:34 pm
beamish14 wrote:It is weird with those Zulawski restorations. All of his 70’s Polish films received gorgeous new overhauls some years ago, but they have yet to be commercially released.
Well Second Run have only recently released their first Polish Blu-Ray (Wajda's War Trilogy) as Polish licensors had their licensing fees set very high for a long time. In the US, the Zulawski films are being worked on by the notoriously slow 'are they or aren't they in operation' Mondo Vision. And French releases are forthcoming from Le Chat qui fume.

I’m never even sure as to whether or not Mondo is still in existence. I’ve purchased every single one of their titles, and each is phenomenal

black&huge

#548 Post by black&huge » Sat Dec 24, 2022 4:29 pm

Dying for a 4k release of Szamanka more than any other Zulawski

beamish14

#549 Post by beamish14 » Sat Dec 24, 2022 6:56 pm

black&huge wrote:
Sat Dec 24, 2022 4:29 pm
Dying for a 4k release of Szamanka more than any other Zulawski

At least the DVD looks very solid. The Devil and Boris Godunov exist in horrible copies, and La Fidelite has a 20+ year old French DVD

Calvin

#550 Post by Calvin » Sat Dec 24, 2022 7:10 pm

Gaumont released Boris Godunov on an English-friendly Blu-Ray a few years ago.