Radiance Films General Discussion & Wishlist

Discuss releases by Radiance and the films on them.
rapta

Re: Radiance Films General Discussion & Wishlist

#551 Post by rapta » Tue Dec 27, 2022 7:48 am

ICYMI, Eureka are releasing at least three Zulawski titles, presumably as part of Masters of Cinema. Looks like it'll be The Third Part of the Night, The Devil, and On the Silver Globe to start with!

ianthemovie

#552 Post by ianthemovie » Sat Dec 31, 2022 6:27 pm

Has anyone been able to determine what the "Dirty Arthouse" booklet posted to Radiance's Twitter refers to? Apparently it's included free with any purchase from their website. I'm curious about the directors' names on the front cover of the first "issue," some of which (Bunuel, Ferrara, Terayama, Zulawski, Miike) line up with that earlier picture of the mocked-up spines, but without any context for what this is it's hard to say whether or not these are more clues to future releases.

Adam X

#553 Post by Adam X » Sun Jan 01, 2023 12:37 am

It’s a new zine edited by Kat Ellinger. They’re giving away a limited number of copies of the first issue with early pre-orders from Radiance’s site. Nothing to do with future releases.
Radiance Films wrote:…as a thank you to all our website pre-order customers we are sending a free A5 zine: Dirty Arthouse, while stocks last. The zine expects to ship in Feb. Art by Peter Strain. Edited by Kat Ellinger, who also writes on Dirty Arthouse - Cinema's Counterculture and also features new writing by Jonathan Owen on Borowczyk, Joseph Dwyer on Breillat, Annie Rose Malamet on Verhoeven's Dutch films, Jerome Reuter on Pasolini, Tom Mes on ero-guro in Miike and an interview with a modern Dirty Arthouser, Peter Strickland by Jack Sargeant.

Finch

#554 Post by Finch » Tue Jan 10, 2023 9:59 am

Fran instagrammed about a deal done for a "very cool Spanish thriller".

What A Disgrace

#555 Post by What A Disgrace » Wed Jan 11, 2023 11:34 am

April's release is The Sunday Woman, and they are also partnering with Altered Innocence - the first release from that partnership is Arrebato.

That leaves She Dies Tomorrow and Red Sun to be officially dated, from the initial slate of announcements.

therewillbeblus

#556 Post by therewillbeblus » Wed Jan 11, 2023 11:43 am

Hopefully the one-title announcement is an outlier casualty of slow beginnings

ryannichols7

#557 Post by ryannichols7 » Wed Jan 11, 2023 12:22 pm

they are also doing an April bundle for the two titles, which I personally have mixed feelings about as the partner labels have a little less interest for me (aside from Mawu), but if you want the postcards (and the January ones were cool), they're included here.

stock watch via the email:
The Working Class Goes to Heaven 70% sold out!
Married to the Mob 70% sold out
Big Time Gambling Boss 65% sold out
Cutter's Way 50% sold out
I think the big reviews for Working Class have helped it a lot, very glad to see its gonna be a sellout. I am similarly surprised by only one announcement, but in fairness we've had so many title reveals that I guess it compensates for the lack of dates on some of these. now that I have the first two releases in hand I'm itching to get more of them, though...

therewillbeblus

#558 Post by therewillbeblus » Wed Jan 11, 2023 12:36 pm

If you're a US subscriber, you were promised 1-2 releases a month anyways so it fits. It'll be interesting to see how this plays out in the long run for UK subscribers who were told 2-3 in the first year and onwards from there. No reason to get upset about it or jump to conclusions or anything, just noteworthy

ryannichols7

#559 Post by ryannichols7 » Wed Jan 11, 2023 12:46 pm

therewillbeblus wrote:
Wed Jan 11, 2023 12:36 pm
If you're a US subscriber, you were promised 1-2 releases a month anyways so it fits. It'll be interesting to see how this plays out in the long run for UK subscribers who were told 2-3 in the first year and onwards from there. No reason to get upset about it or jump to conclusions or anything, just noteworthy
I think if May has the two remaining titles from the initial 10 and the Cosa Nostra box, that'll be a solid enough start to the year. we shall see!

personally, my OCDness is most concerned wondering what spine #2 is! wonder if Fran reserved it for his dream title (and co-Palme d'Or winner with Working Class), The Mattei Affair, that would be really cool if he ever gets to do it...but he's already indicated its a steep hill to climb:
Art House Cult: One thing you had brought up in a couple interviews was there a passion project you’d been pursuing, which is “The Mattei Affair.” Is that one still in your sights?

Francesco Simeoni: I asked about it again, but, I don’t think it’s gonna happen. There’s a few films like that which are great, but have these sort of issues. I think with the way the industry is I’m not sure they’re gonna come out anytime soon, because the amount of money that it would take to clear the rights is so big that I just don’t think anyone but a studio could really afford it, really. And the studios of course, aren’t gonna do these tiny foreign films. If they can’t sell enough units of big auteur led films from the seventies, why are they gonna do foreign films from directors they probably never heard of? So unfortunately, I don’t hold a lot of hope. But I’ll keep trying. Yeah… It’s a nightmare.
anyone know the story on this one? Paramount distributed it and we have plenty of their non-US holdings on disc, and it was a Cristaldi production, who we also have plenty of. it's been rumored/speculated as a Criterion title for eons too, and I know Alex Cox is a big fan

rapta

#560 Post by rapta » Wed Jan 11, 2023 2:12 pm

I thought it'd probably only be one Radiance title confirmed like last month - I figured that'd be the case until they ran out of those first ten launch titles - but great to see a new partner label announced!

I thought Arrebato would arrive in some form soon (Radiance teasing a Spanish thriller on social media just the other day, suggested this might be it and a recent BBFC submission apparently confirmed it just before this announcement). I'll be curious to see which other Altered Innocence titles will make it over here (Sound and Fury or Jack Be Nimble seem like likely candidates).

Also the second Vinegar Syndrome label to become a Radiance partner label...hoping there's a chance we get some titles from Canadian International Pictures (any, tbh!), Kani (Cain and Abel), Factory 25 (In the Soup), Gunpowder & Sky (Her Smell) or Music Box (Beats) next!

What A Disgrace

#561 Post by What A Disgrace » Wed Jan 11, 2023 2:20 pm

I was under the impression that the first wave of announced titles would all be released by May. With the Damiani box coming in May, I wonder if Red Sun and She Dies Tomorrow will come in June (or later), or if my impression is just something my brain tricked itself into.

DeprongMori

#562 Post by DeprongMori » Wed Jan 11, 2023 6:34 pm

Any thought of inserting a “first post” to this thread with a spine list of released and announced titles?

There has been a lot of conversation in this thread that makes that info difficult to tease out.

swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

#563 Post by swo17 » Wed Jan 11, 2023 6:48 pm

rapta

#564 Post by rapta » Wed Jan 11, 2023 7:48 pm

What A Disgrace wrote:
Wed Jan 11, 2023 2:20 pm
I was under the impression that the first wave of announced titles would all be released by May. With the Damiani box coming in May, I wonder if Red Sun and She Dies Tomorrow will come in June (or later), or if my impression is just something my brain tricked itself into.
I suppose Red Sun and She Dies Tomorrow could be the two April titles, or one of them for April and the other for May (with the Damiani set obviously the other May title) should they want to do another partner label title for April? Guess we'll find out next month.

Anyway, lots to look forward to already from the post-launch slate. I'm particularly up for Yakuza Graveyard, Witness in the City and The Facts of Murder. I'm certain there will be others (got my eye on "Hong Kong actioner", "Japanese trilogy", "Hong Kong horror" and "Italian gothic" mentioned in the 'Members' section).

ryannichols7

#565 Post by ryannichols7 » Wed Jan 11, 2023 9:25 pm

rapta wrote:
Wed Jan 11, 2023 7:48 pm
What A Disgrace wrote:
Wed Jan 11, 2023 2:20 pm
I suppose Red Sun and She Dies Tomorrow could be the two April titles, or one of them for April and the other for May (with the Damiani set obviously the other May title) should they want to do another partner label title for April? Guess we'll find out next month.

Anyway, lots to look forward to already from the post-launch slate. I'm particularly up for Yakuza Graveyard, Witness in the City and The Facts of Murder. I'm certain there will be others (got my eye on "Hong Kong actioner", "Japanese trilogy", "Hong Kong horror" and "Italian gothic" mentioned in the 'Members' section).
these were the April announcements!

but I agree, plenty to look forward to that I'm pretty excited about

exidor

#566 Post by exidor » Thu Jan 12, 2023 2:55 am

I'm assuming that the ten launch titles will be out before the June-December bundle kicks in, otherwise there'll be some refunds to sort out for people who've inadvertently double dipped.

rapta

#567 Post by rapta » Thu Jan 12, 2023 5:00 pm

ryannichols7 wrote:
Wed Jan 11, 2023 9:25 pm
these were the April announcements!

but I agree, plenty to look forward to that I'm pretty excited about
Sorry yes, they are! In fact I've pre-ordered all four March titles so I have no idea how I missed that...

In that case maybe May will just be Red Sun, She Dies Tomorrow and the Damiani set? Would make sense to get them all out of the way before new announcements for June...

What A Disgrace

#568 Post by What A Disgrace » Thu Jan 19, 2023 11:46 am

Based on the hints provided in the Members section (excluding the ones already revealed), I'd like to see the following...

Hong Kong actioner - Hopefully some Johnnie To. The sky's really the limit, with this one.
Japanese trilogy - Tomu Uchida's Sword in the Moonlight trilogy
Hong Kong horror - Fruit Chan's Dumplings
Italian gothic - Antonio Margeriti's Castle of Blood

beamish14

#569 Post by beamish14 » Thu Jan 19, 2023 2:18 pm

What A Disgrace wrote:
Thu Jan 19, 2023 11:46 am
Based on the hints provided in the Members section (excluding the ones already revealed), I'd like to see the following...

Hong Kong actioner - Hopefully some Johnnie To. The sky's really the limit, with this one.

I really hope the horror title is The Cat (1992)

rapta

#570 Post by rapta » Fri Jan 20, 2023 1:26 pm

What A Disgrace wrote:
Thu Jan 19, 2023 11:46 am

I have a feeling the HK horror could well be Dumplings, or if it's 'not really horror' then maybe Stanley Kwan's Rouge (though bit of a stretch calling it horror). I think the same distributor who would have Dumplings would also have Pang Bros' The Eye too. Tsui Hark's The Butterfly Murders would be great fun too (apparently a wuxia-meets-giallo of sorts...).

Your other guesses are ideal to be honest. More Johnnie To is always great, of course (or more Ringo Lam would be great too). Other titles I'd like to see would be Tsui Hark's Green Snake and Patrick Tam's The Sword (the latter is coming from a German label soon so actually possible). If it was the latter, that'd obviously imply a Fortune Star deal (could mean we actually do get Rouge, Centre Stage; or even The Cat, Witch from Nepal or The Peacock King if they're straying into horror...might not be Radiance's thing though, and 88 Films or Eureka will no doubt get those eventually).

Agreed that Castle of Blood is overdue a release...and more Uchida would obviously be incredible (his Miyamoto Musashi series would also be great). Alternatively, as I posted elsewhere the trilogy could be Eiichi Kudo's Samurai Revolution Trilogy (13 Assassins, The Great Duel, 11 Samurai). Will be interesting to see what these turn out to be, probably none of the ones we've suggested!

colinr0380

#571 Post by colinr0380 » Sat Jan 21, 2023 7:40 am

The thing with Dumplings though is that I would rather see it in an all encompassing set with the Three... Extremes anthology film that it was a part of in condensed form along with its feature length version.

(I have always wanted to see 2009's Chengdu, I Love You, so selfishly that would be my pick! Even though, as far as I am aware, it is not a horror film!)

ryannichols7

#572 Post by ryannichols7 » Fri Jan 27, 2023 2:13 pm

ryannichols7 wrote:
Wed Jan 11, 2023 12:46 pm
personally, my OCDness is most concerned wondering what spine #2 is!
and it's now being teased. going to guess it'll be part of this next round of announcements

rapta

#573 Post by rapta » Fri Jan 27, 2023 5:50 pm

ryannichols7 wrote:
Fri Jan 27, 2023 2:13 pm
ryannichols7 wrote:
Wed Jan 11, 2023 12:46 pm
personally, my OCDness is most concerned wondering what spine #2 is!
and it's now being teased. going to guess it'll be part of this next round of announcements
I immediately assumed this could be Yakuza Graveyard, based on the fact it's probably the most anticipated title that hasn't been fully detailed yet, and the S&S advert does look like the spine number is a single digit, but the colours of the spines are completely different. If it's one of the titles in the S&S advert, it's probably either Witness in the City or Goodbye & Amen, but neither look like they have single-digit spine numbers either...

So I'm actually now thinking it's a surprise title, and probably something brilliant like the spine numbers either side of it? I don't think any of the artwork would be drastically changed from the S&S advert. I'd still be very happy if it was Witness in the City or Yakuza Graveyard though (i.e. the two teased titles that I'm most anticipating). We'll find out a week on Wednesday!

Ovader

#574 Post by Ovader » Sat Jan 28, 2023 5:35 pm

Today Barry Forshaw shared a memory on Facebook the following:
Nouvelle Vague time -- working on Chabrol for Arrow Video a year ago; this year it's Truffaut for Radiance Films.

therewillbeblus

#575 Post by therewillbeblus » Sat Jan 28, 2023 5:41 pm

Fingers crossed for Two English Girls