Ingmar Bergman (1918-2007)

A subforum to discuss film culture and criticism.
Anonymous

#276 Post by Anonymous » Tue Sep 30, 2008 9:30 am

Michael wrote:
Orphic Lycidas wrote:"Cries and Whispers" is an ugly and pretentious bore.
I can't understand how it's seen as ugly by some of you here. To me, it's among the most beautiful films ever made. I can't even explain it but there's something so cathartic about it. Is there any film out there that is like Cries and Whispers in any way? I can't think of one. It may not be my favorite Bergman film (it's Smiles of a Summer Night) but I think Cries and Whispers is his best film. Lovers of this film, please do step forward.
Yeah, I really love that one, and I don't understand the general lack of high regard for it amongst Bergman lovers.

(I also don't understand the Rosenbaum article, it's appalling timing, or the subsequent track-covering tactics used by him in this thread.....but I digress.)

Perkins Cobb

#277 Post by Perkins Cobb » Tue Sep 30, 2008 12:47 pm

I don't see what's so hard to understand about Rosenbaum's article -- it's typical to consider an artists's legacy immediately after his or her death (go back and read all the polite, lukewarm tributes to Sydney Pollack which postulated that, as a director, he was a great actor). Rosenbaum simply argued that Bergman was a (mildly) overrated and overcanonized director, and the backlash against this lone bit of dissention is absurd.

Mark Metcalf

Re: Ingmar Bergman 1918-2007

#278 Post by Mark Metcalf » Tue Dec 02, 2008 1:52 am

I just read that Ingmar Bergman referred to John Ford as the greatest director. Does anybody know where I can read that, and what else Bergman had to say about Ford?

exte

#279 Post by exte » Tue Dec 02, 2008 2:00 am

Mark Metcalf wrote:I just read that Ingmar Bergman referred to John Ford as the greatest director. Does anybody know where I can read that, and what else Bergman had to say about Ford?
Google book search: "Ingmar Bergman" "John Ford" "the greatest director in the world"

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#280 Post by domino harvey » Tue Dec 02, 2008 2:06 am

exte wrote:
Mark Metcalf wrote:I just read that Ingmar Bergman referred to John Ford as the greatest director. Does anybody know where I can read that, and what else Bergman had to say about Ford?
Google book search: "Ingmar Bergman" "John Ford" "the greatest director in the world"
I think I did it wrong:

Adam

#281 Post by Adam » Tue Dec 02, 2008 4:10 am

No, that's the right one. page 12.

exte

#282 Post by exte » Tue Dec 02, 2008 2:31 pm

John Ford: Peter Bogdanovich. New Rev. and Enl. Ed - Page 18

Grand Illusion

Re:

#283 Post by Grand Illusion » Tue Dec 02, 2008 5:22 pm

Anonymous wrote:
Michael wrote:
Orphic Lycidas wrote:"Cries and Whispers" is an ugly and pretentious bore.
I can't understand how it's seen as ugly by some of you here. To me, it's among the most beautiful films ever made. I can't even explain it but there's something so cathartic about it. Is there any film out there that is like Cries and Whispers in any way? I can't think of one. It may not be my favorite Bergman film (it's Smiles of a Summer Night) but I think Cries and Whispers is his best film. Lovers of this film, please do step forward.
Yeah, I really love that one, and I don't understand the general lack of high regard for it amongst Bergman lovers.

(I also don't understand the Rosenbaum article, it's appalling timing, or the subsequent track-covering tactics used by him in this thread.....but I digress.)
Cries and Whispers and Shame are my two personal favorites.

Antoine Doinel

#284 Post by Antoine Doinel » Wed Dec 10, 2008 8:22 pm

Ingmar Bergman meets Dick Cavett.

mteller

#285 Post by mteller » Thu Dec 11, 2008 11:47 am

Antoine Doinel wrote:Ingmar Bergman meets Dick Cavett.
Isn't that on one of the Criterion discs? I know I've seen it somewhere before. Maybe in Marie Nyerod's documentary.

The Fanciful Norwegian

#286 Post by The Fanciful Norwegian » Sat Dec 13, 2008 7:44 am

TCM aired the entire episode a day or two after Bergman died. I taped it, but I have no idea what happened to the damn thing :(

Bennie

#287 Post by Bennie » Wed Jun 23, 2010 6:11 pm

Antoine Doinel wrote:Ingmar Bergman meets Dick Cavett.
I would LOVE to see this whole show. Has it been released on DVD? How long does it last, 30 minutes, an hour? I have most of the Criterion DVDs of Bergman, and its not on any of them. Any help much appreciated.

P.S. Shame and Cries And Whispers are two of Bergman's greatest Masterpieces!

Ovader

#288 Post by Ovader » Wed Jun 23, 2010 6:40 pm

Bennie wrote:I would LOVE to see this whole show.
It is available on this YouTube channel divided into six parts on the right side menu.

MoonlitKnight

#289 Post by MoonlitKnight » Wed Jun 23, 2010 7:24 pm

domino harvey wrote:I think I did it wrong:

I used to LOVE that book! It was in our church's nursery and I used to read it all the time! \:D/

Bennie

#290 Post by Bennie » Wed Jun 23, 2010 7:43 pm

Many thanks Ovader. That's great news! I knew that Youtube had a few 4-to-6 minute clips of this show, but I didn't realise that the whole thing is on there now. Cheers!

Derek Estes

#291 Post by Derek Estes » Tue Nov 30, 2010 4:10 am

Regarding the Bergman quote about Ford.
I've searched for several years now to find the origin of the claim by Bergman that Ford is the world's greatest director (I'm a huge fan of both directors), yet I only find second hand references, such as the one in Bogdanovich's book in which Ford himself claims that Bergman called him this.

The claim is made often that Bergman was a fan of Ford's, though in none of the books, articles or interviews with Bergman that I've seen or read does he have praise for Ford (if he mentions him at all, which he almost never does).

It also seems funny to me that this seems to be stressed as often as it is.

John Ford has countless admirers, it would not be hard to list famous directors who were influenced by Ford. I wonder if it is because Bergman's stamp of approval would be a strong endorsement from a high profile European art house director. I'm not sure.
If anyone can find the origin of this quote I would be very very grateful.

Galen Young

#292 Post by Galen Young » Tue Nov 30, 2010 9:32 am

Derek Estes wrote:Regarding the Bergman quote about Ford.
Don't know the origin of that quote, but Steene's reference guide has one entry on Ford, from a Norwegian report on a 1973 Cannes press conference for Cries and Whispers where Bergman mentions his favorite filmmakers (Ford, Fellini, Bunuel, Varda). Reading that entry led to finding this video clip from the press conference, which doesn't have this specific comment, but does have fascinating interviews with Ingrid Thulin, Harriet Andersson and Ingrid Bergman. (it would have made a great extra on the Criterion Cries and Whispers DVD!)