'Rediculous' Customer & Critic Reviews

A subforum to discuss film culture and criticism.
Gregory

Re: 'Rediculous' Customer & Critic Reviews

#4151 Post by Gregory » Sun Dec 13, 2020 7:46 pm

"Django Unchained is the most racist movie I have ever seen, it sucked!" —Donald J. Trump on Twitter. Elaborating, he makes it even sillier: "I thought it was totally racist. I've never seen so many people get hit by a bullet and explode. It was like they got hit by bombs."

furbicide

#4152 Post by furbicide » Sun Dec 13, 2020 8:46 pm

His pre-2015 Tweets are a veritable comedic goldmine. I'm not sure that his presidency has actually lived up to that level of stupidity, although he's certainly made a fair go at it!

Zot!

#4153 Post by Zot! » Mon Dec 14, 2020 5:29 am

tenia wrote:
Fri Nov 20, 2020 3:40 am
I wonder who are the most "fragile" : those who are thought to require a 10 sec text disclaimer or those who are shocked by the 10 sec disclaimer.
I'm surprised this is the stance of the CC forum...we all know that the next step from companies for sensitive niche stuff is disclaiming the whole thing altogether (see Tom & Jerry BD collection 2, Song of the South, etc...).

Wrap it in a paper bag, rate it X, who cares, but why not keep the curated presentation clean and quality in a world where you find things through the back channels, regardless.

tenia
Ask Me About My Bassoon

#4154 Post by tenia » Mon Dec 14, 2020 5:43 am

Again, if a 10 sec text disclaimer is the suffering we need to go through to get these new releases, I think most should be able to manage, but that's only my own personal POV on the matter.

However, I won't venture in trying to guess what will happen next, since in such a context, it seems too much like a slippery slope argument to my taste (even though you might turn to be right).

This being written, I thought the 2nd volume of Tom & Jerry never materialised because the 1st volume didn't sell as much as expected, not because of sensitive material.

swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

#4155 Post by swo17 » Mon Dec 14, 2020 6:16 am

It was announced in 2013, missing two controversial titles that had previously been promised. Fans complained, the release was indefinitely postponed, and there's been no movement on it since

tenia
Ask Me About My Bassoon

#4156 Post by tenia » Mon Dec 14, 2020 7:21 am

Just checked the blu-ray.com related topic and indeed, I might have been mis-remembering how this one went.

Zot!

#4157 Post by Zot! » Mon Dec 14, 2020 8:19 am

I mentioned Tom & Jerry only because of how that went down, it should be noted that Vol 1 had a 45 second disclaimer every time you want to play either disc in the set.

The cartoon restorations looked great though, which is why people were P.O.'d about the circumstances surrounding Vol 2. And to me the meat of the 'Rediculous' review in question is not questioning the insensitivity inherit in the originals, but that the industry people making these decisions (not the creators it should be mentioned) had no issue making money on the tainted product before it became too "hot to handle".

knives

#4158 Post by knives » Mon Dec 14, 2020 8:39 am

They’ve been putting up the disclaimers for years.

Zot!

#4159 Post by Zot! » Mon Dec 14, 2020 10:39 am

knives wrote:
Mon Dec 14, 2020 8:39 am
They’ve been putting up the disclaimers for years.
Certainly true, but somehow feels even worse years later, in our world of instant gratification.

I don't think you have to go too far back to find insensitive racial humor. I rewatched a season 1 episode of Portlandia which had a bit about Japanese teens obsessed with "cute" stuff. It had no purpose other than to broadly mock the accents and mannerisms of Japanese people as played in yellow-face by two white people.

willoneill

#4160 Post by willoneill » Mon Dec 14, 2020 2:35 pm

tenia wrote:
Mon Dec 14, 2020 5:43 am
Again, if a 10 sec text disclaimer is the suffering we need to go through to get these new releases, I think most should be able to manage, but that's only my own personal POV on the matter.
I think 10 seconds is being generous ... I recently watched the 60's Jungle Book with my little boy, and the disclaimer came and went so quickly that I couldn't read it all.

furbicide

#4161 Post by furbicide » Mon Dec 14, 2020 7:45 pm

I think the disclaimers are not only not a harbinger of future censorship, they're actually a significant protection against it. By doing this, companies are to some extent washing their hands of what they're releasing and also offering an olive branch to those who might otherwise prefer these titles to be out of circulation. If the binary choice were for the works to be either 1) up without any kind of contextualisation or 2) suppressed, we'd be seeing a lot more of the latter happening, I'd wager. While it's not 100% certain that the warnings will be enough to hold back the tide in future, I feel like we should actually welcome them, even if they do seem a bit PR-oriented or condescending (and personally, I actually like the idea of a content warning, because I think it shows respect to viewers and gives them a chance to make an informed decision on whether they want to watch the thing or not – the direct opposite of treating them like children who must be kept away from potentially corrupting material for their own sake).

knives

#4162 Post by knives » Mon Dec 14, 2020 7:53 pm

I agree and furthermore I think it can be a useful step in educating the public since seeing these things in full helps people understand these things exist and a well thought out disclaimer, like those usually accompanying Triumph of the Will, can assist in preventive measures. A stacked and contextually considerate release of something like Birth of the Nation given it’s importance is equal to its racism seems like it should be the default. Look at the release of The Jazz Singer and how well it contextualizes that film’s sound for an example of how to do it.

swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

#4163 Post by swo17 » Sun Dec 20, 2020 6:16 am

The new Amarcord disc has a documentary that starts with a 30-second disclaimer about a deleted scene in which an Italian character mistreats a Chinese one. The gist is basically "the guy being racist here is a jerk other times in the movie" and "we think Fellini was critiquing him"

bottled spider

#4164 Post by bottled spider » Fri Jan 01, 2021 8:22 pm

The title may sound like a Jewish detergent, but nothing gets washed away in this unsatisfying French quasi-thriller, set in Paris in 1942, during the Occupation.
The first sentence of Kael's review of Losey's Mr. Klein.

soundchaser
Leave Her to Beaver

#4165 Post by soundchaser » Sat Jan 02, 2021 1:19 pm

A four-star Amazon review of a James Stewart Westerns collection, posted in 2019 wrote:Great classic western movies from Jimmy. The only issue I have with this product is that some of the best movies within the box set cannot be viewed on my streaming mobile iPhone. Rating would have been 5 stars minus this convenience issue. I like to smoke cigars and watch western movies out under the stars late at night. Cannot do that while watching DVDs on my laptop. Too Bulky!

aox

#4166 Post by aox » Sun Jan 03, 2021 8:01 pm

colinr0380

#4167 Post by colinr0380 » Mon Jan 04, 2021 4:51 am

And yet he still gave it the one star rather than the half star rating!

Cash Flagg

#4168 Post by Cash Flagg » Mon Jan 04, 2021 8:23 pm

The moment I heard David Coverdale's superb track, "The Last Note of Freedom", I knew that I will have a special relationship with it.
From the same scribe:
If I was forced to pick one home video release in 2020, just one, INXS: Live Baby Live would have been it.
Here's a hint: the writer had 'Tesla: Five Man London Jam; as the 8th best Blu-ray release of the year.

Cash Flagg

#4169 Post by Cash Flagg » Mon Jan 18, 2021 8:05 pm

Hugo Stiglitz might be in trouble. This black henchman Lazarus who Stuart Whitman is forced Rebecca and her boyfriend who fornication behind his back must perform a sex in front of the everyone in the camp must do a live set act with Lazarus . Hugo is limp dic on this Rene movie. Potbelly sexual chocolate Lazarus is BiG JOHN STUD and Johnny Keyes Masta on this epic.

dwk

#4170 Post by dwk » Mon Jan 18, 2021 8:42 pm

Did Bananaman Bill Olsen write that?

Maltic

#4171 Post by Maltic » Mon Jan 18, 2021 11:16 pm

I came across the top-rated review on amazon.co.uk for War of the Worlds (2005) bluray edition [2010], one of the better releases from the early days of the format... lots of grain and diffused light
5.0 out of 5 stars 5 star film, no star blu ray transfer(sadly)
Reviewed in the United Kingdom on 17 October 2016
Verified Purchase
Just to be clear. The 5 stars are for this film. I love it and despite reading quite a number of bad reviews for the blu ray version I figured that the larger percentage of people thought it was better. So I decided to try the blue ray. Be warned. The transfer to blu ray is dreadful! Grainy as people have commented previously, not so much the interior shots, but awful with the exterior shots. I do not believe in anyway that the film was "meant to be grainy". I have a dvd copy and the picture quality is sharp, colourful and pristine!!
Of course people will always draw their own conclusions and people,s perceptions are as varied and different as the universe is endless. But for what its worth it is a dreadful transfer to blu ray. I plan to upgrade to blu ray on Lord Of The Rings, Hobbit, Harry Potter, King Kong 2005, Volcano, Independance Day, etc, but will be far more cautious. The Back To The Future trilogy on blu ray is a prime example of how it should be done and can be done. Now that kind of quality on War Of The Worlds would have been amazing!!:)
They had DNR'd the hell out of BTTF when they were released in 2010 (this has been rectified for the recent 4k release, as I understand).

Maybe reviews of this kind have been posted before. I'm new here, bear with me. And, of course, apologies to the pro-waxers out there...

tenia
Ask Me About My Bassoon

#4172 Post by tenia » Tue Jan 19, 2021 4:22 am

Cash Flagg wrote:
Mon Jan 04, 2021 8:23 pm
Here's a hint: the writer had 'Tesla: Five Man London Jam; as the 8th best Blu-ray release of the year.
Considering the amount of stuff he reviewed in 2020, his best of is one of the most bonkers I've read in years, especially his 4K one. He's also the guy who doesn't only have 1 top 10 but actually has 3, including one that goes up to 11.
Maltic wrote:
Mon Jan 18, 2021 11:16 pm
I came across the top-rated review on amazon.co.uk for War of the Worlds (2005) bluray edition [2010], one of the better releases from the early days of the format... lots of grain and diffused light. They had DNR'd the hell out of BTTF when they were released in 2010 (this has been rectified for the recent 4k release, as I understand).
Maybe reviews of this kind have been posted before. I'm new here, bear with me. And, of course, apologies to the pro-waxers out there...
This kind of Amazon reviews are litterally why I started writing my own reviews. They clearly originate from people who are putting Amazon reviews just because they have access to it, not because their knowledge has any added value to the reader. I've recently read an Amazon review of the Arrow release of The Last Starfighter that despite giving 4 stars claims the awfully electronic-looking Universal release is "the noticeably better looking edition". Why ? Because the Arrow release has "a lot of video artifacting, a whitish speckling particularly on lighter background colors and that was most noticeable when the movie is paused on a light background."
Meaning this guy is mixing film grain up with "artifacting" or something he views as being a defect, ie he has no clue at all of the utmost basic thing of what he's writing about. Yet, he does write about it.

Big Ben

#4173 Post by Big Ben » Sun Jan 24, 2021 11:34 pm

A Very Normal Adult wrote:I grew up watching this every Easter and now that I can't turn on a tv without seeing some form of degeneracy (((Thank You Obama))) I can watch this dvd without having to see the shame of my species.
Yikes.

Red Screamer

#4174 Post by Red Screamer » Mon Jan 25, 2021 5:21 am

A GOOD MUSICAL BUT BIT SLOW DISC ID GOOD SOUND GOOD PRINT GOOD BUT NOT TO GOOD FOR STORY . SONGS NOT TO BAD IN PARTS

Michael Kerpan
Spelling Bee Champeen

#4175 Post by Michael Kerpan » Mon Jan 25, 2021 10:39 am

> BUT BIT SLOW DISC ID

I wonder what THIS means -- and what musical this might be. ;-)