Passages

A subforum to discuss film culture and criticism.
Feego

Re: Passages

#9351 Post by Feego » Wed Aug 11, 2021 9:35 am

Dr Amicus

#9352 Post by Dr Amicus » Thu Aug 12, 2021 12:59 pm

Una Stubbs A long career - and a fine cap as Mrs Hudson in Sherlock - but I remember her best as Aunt Sally in Worzel Gummidge.

GaryC

#9353 Post by GaryC » Sun Aug 15, 2021 2:52 am

TMDaines

#9354 Post by TMDaines » Wed Aug 18, 2021 7:06 am

Sean Lock

15 Storeys High is supposed to be fantastic, so I will now dutifully finally get around to watching it.

MichaelB

#9355 Post by MichaelB » Wed Aug 18, 2021 9:19 am

I'm very glad so many people have confirmed that Sean Lock was just as funny off camera as he was when officially performing, because he always very strongly gave that impression. Some comedians are such absolute naturals that the presence of a camera or microphone is largely incidental.
Last edited by MichaelB on Wed Aug 18, 2021 9:47 am, edited 1 time in total.

Mr Sausage

#9356 Post by Mr Sausage » Wed Aug 18, 2021 9:29 am

TMDaines wrote:Sean Lock

15 Storeys High is supposed to be fantastic, so I will now dutifully finally get around to watching it.
Reliably hysterical on whatever panel show he appeared on. He was seemingly funnier in his off the cuff moments than his scripted comedy. What a loss.

Here’sSean Lock and John Richardson playing a nice game of carrot in a box.

Blutarsky

#9357 Post by Blutarsky » Wed Aug 18, 2021 11:49 am

TMDaines wrote:
Wed Aug 18, 2021 7:06 am
Sean Lock

One of the most under appreciated comedians of all time. The Cats Does Countdown compilations they have of him bring me so much joy when needed. This is really upsetting.

Big Ben

#9358 Post by Big Ben » Wed Aug 18, 2021 2:17 pm

The funniest thing about Sean Lock was about how easy it all seemed to come to him. The aforementioned carrot in a box is a classic but his overall curmudgeonly demeanor easily won me over many times. NSFW obviously. I still can't believe he's gone. I thought people were joking at first. Dead at fifty eight.

Blutarsky

#9359 Post by Blutarsky » Wed Aug 18, 2021 3:10 pm

Big Ben wrote:
Wed Aug 18, 2021 2:17 pm
The funniest thing about Sean Lock was about how easy it all seemed to come to him. The aforementioned carrot in a box is a classic but his overall curmudgeonly demeanor easily won me over many times. NSFW obviously. I still can't believe he's gone. I thought people were joking at first. Dead at fifty eight.
In recent seasons of Catsdown, Sean’s voice had gotten really hoarse and his physical appearance was sadly declining. What made me more upset was that when Joe Wilkinson (who, anybody reading this should watch Joe reading his poem to the panel. One of the funniest moments in tv of all time) was on, he was very quiet and clearly in pain. At least Channel 4 will provide us with endless clips of him. We could have a dedicated thread for the best of Sean Lock honestly. I am still in shock.

MichaelB

#9360 Post by MichaelB » Wed Aug 18, 2021 4:26 pm

I don't think Sean Lock missed his vocation as a straight actor, but here he is in the title role of Andrew Kötting's 1993 short Smart Alek, which he also co-wrote (published on Vimeo in its entirety by Kötting himself, so I'm assuming it's legit).

MichaelB

#9361 Post by MichaelB » Thu Aug 19, 2021 3:24 am

Heads up for UK readers - Channel 4 has rejigged this evening’s programming from 10pm so that it now features a two-hour Sean Lock tribute.

flyonthewall2983

#9362 Post by flyonthewall2983 » Thu Aug 19, 2021 9:17 am

I didn’t see the carrot in the box clip until yesterday, damn that is genius. I loved him on QI, which I later learned he quit doing for some reason. He just consistently owned on the show so maybe it was like John Larroquette asking the Emmys to stop nominating him.

MichaelB

#9363 Post by MichaelB » Thu Aug 19, 2021 9:22 am

I think that's when I first became aware of him, a couple of decades ago - and I love it when I chance upon great comedians without any advance hype: he held my attention (and made me laugh like a drain) entirely on merit. Over and over again.

dwk

#9364 Post by dwk » Thu Aug 19, 2021 9:49 am

Sonny Chiba from pneumonia and complications of the Coronavirus.

hearthesilence

#9365 Post by hearthesilence » Sun Aug 22, 2021 1:23 am

Don Everly. His brother Phil passed away in 2014. That leaves Jerry Lee Lewis as the last living giant among the first wave of rock 'n' rollers.

MichaelB

#9366 Post by MichaelB » Sun Aug 22, 2021 5:21 am

Tennessee radio host and outspoken vaccine sceptic Phil Valentine, who might still be alive if he hadn’t followed his own advice.

Speakeasy

#9367 Post by Speakeasy » Sun Aug 22, 2021 11:19 am

MichaelB wrote:
Sun Aug 22, 2021 5:21 am
Tennessee radio host and outspoken vaccine sceptic Phil Valentine, who might still be alive if he hadn’t followed his own advice.
“If you’re high risk of dying from COVID I still strongly suggest you consider the vaccine, but this it totally your choice. Just make sure you’re prepared if you decide against the vaccine.”

Doesn't sound like a skeptic to me.

MichaelB

#9368 Post by MichaelB » Sun Aug 22, 2021 11:33 am

He said that a few days after being diagnosed with Covid-19 - and if his symptoms were anything like mine (and since it ultimately killed him, they may well have been worse), it wouldn't be at all surprising if he was having second thoughts about his previous position.

So did he say anything similar prior to his diagnosis?

(Not a loaded question; I genuinely don't know the answer.)

cdnchris
Site Admin

#9369 Post by cdnchris » Sun Aug 22, 2021 11:59 am

Not that I can see. He even made a parody song called Vaxman. So his tune only changed after he caught it and those around him said he'd be pushing it "when" he was back on air. But prior, I see nothing.

And for his previous comments he said "God forbid I die, that would be embarrassing." Obviously trying to put humor on the situation, but...

DarkImbecile
Ask me about my visible cat breasts

#9370 Post by DarkImbecile » Sun Aug 22, 2021 12:06 pm

MichaelB wrote:
Sun Aug 22, 2021 11:33 am
So did he say anything similar prior to his diagnosis?

(Not a loaded question; I genuinely don't know the answer.)
He did not, but he did promote the livestock deworming drug ivermectin as one of the “very effective alternatives to the vaccine” in the very same Facebook post Speakeasy credulously quotes from above, which is why he didn’t link to it or share a screenshot, I assume.

Fiery Angel

#9371 Post by Fiery Angel » Sun Aug 22, 2021 12:08 pm

Speakeasy wrote:
Sun Aug 22, 2021 11:19 am
MichaelB wrote:
Sun Aug 22, 2021 5:21 am
“If you’re high risk of dying from COVID I still strongly suggest you consider the vaccine, but this it totally your choice. Just make sure you’re prepared if you decide against the vaccine.”

Doesn't sound like a skeptic to me.
scroll through his Twitter feed

Lemmy Caution

#9372 Post by Lemmy Caution » Sun Aug 22, 2021 1:07 pm

hearthesilence wrote:
Sun Aug 22, 2021 1:23 am
Don Everly. His brother Phil passed away in 2014. That leaves Jerry Lee Lewis as the last living giant among the first wave of rock 'n' rollers.
Yeah, Little Richard died last year. Same with Lloyd Price.

Wanda Jackson "the Queen of Rockabilly" is 83 years young.
Huey Piano Smith still with us.
Ronnie Hawkins too.
So is Pat Boone, notorious for interspersing himself into rock and roll and taming it down.

MichaelB

#9373 Post by MichaelB » Sun Aug 22, 2021 1:09 pm

And, on the other side of the pond, Cliff Richard is still with us, although I agree that it's never been hard to distinguish between him and Jerry Lee Lewis.

hearthesilence

#9374 Post by hearthesilence » Sun Aug 22, 2021 7:33 pm

Lemmy Caution wrote:
Sun Aug 22, 2021 1:07 pm
hearthesilence wrote:
Sun Aug 22, 2021 1:23 am
Yeah, Little Richard died last year. Same with Lloyd Price.

Wanda Jackson "the Queen of Rockabilly" is 83 years young.
Huey Piano Smith still with us.
Ronnie Hawkins too.
So is Pat Boone, notorious for interspersing himself into rock and roll and taming it down.
Holy crap, I thought Huey Piano Smith was dead!
I'm not sure I'd call them giants - I like them, they're all good or excellent (except Pat Boone), but except for possibly Smith, I'm not sure they made an impression or had an influence on the same level as Chuck Berry, Lewis, Little Richard, the Everly Brothers, etc.

I did forget Duane Eddy and Dion...Eddy I'm not sure but he's about on par with Smith, and the more I think about it, Dion is more within that era that included the rise of Motown, Brill Building, Roy Orbison, etc...basically after the first wave and before the British Invasion.

Lemmy Caution

#9375 Post by Lemmy Caution » Mon Aug 23, 2021 8:11 am

Frankie Valli is still with us, also from that same late 50's/early 60's Dion period.
Dion was supposed to be on the plane with Buddy Holly and the Big Bopper, but cheaped out and gave his seat to Richie Valens.

Huey Piano Smith became a Jehovah's Witness and left the music business decades ago.
His late 60's output with a slightly updated sound was ignored at the time but is fantastic.
One Charly compilation is: Huey Piano Smith & Friends - Pitta Pattin (1966-70).
A revised Rockin' Pneumonia: Coo Coo Over You; Blues '67; Smile for Me. Great stuff I often slip into rotations. Make sure to check it out if you just don't know it.