Charles Grodin (1935-2021)

A subforum to discuss film culture and criticism.
hearthesilence

Re: Charles Grodin (1935-2021)

#26 Post by hearthesilence » Tue May 18, 2021 7:24 pm

Coincidentally, we were talking about this in another thread, but it's crazy how a pharmaceutical company now owns The Heartbreak Kid with absolutely no interest in doing anything in film distribution. As a result, it's been unavailable for close to two decades, not counting personal YouTube uploads. A shame, because it really needs a new transfer.
bearcuborg wrote:
Tue May 18, 2021 7:04 pm
I love him in all of the above, but I want to give a shout out to The Woman in Red, a grossly overlooked 80s comedy, directed by Gene Wilder. Gordon’s portrayal is genuine in a part that might be played (especially at that time) only for laughs in the hands of another actor/director.

There are a lot of clips of Grodin online on Carson or Letterman, but the real Charles Grodin is a great guest on one of my favorite podcasts, The Carson Podcast by Mark Malkoff.

His own talk show was more of a Costas like show than typical late night fare, something especially missed nowadays.
I mentioned The Woman in Red too - Grodin is certainly a highlight and the most memorable part about it.
Habit Rouge wrote:
Tue May 18, 2021 6:38 pm
hearthesilence wrote:
Tue May 18, 2021 2:39 pm
He had an MSNBC show back in the '90s that was supposed to be excellent...
It truly was. He was an inquisitive, witty humanist who was able to get a fascinating discussion out of any guest on any subject. Then he got fired for being anti-war, along with his friend Phil Donahue.
Ugh, I remember those days and listening to jingoistic Republicans badger people simply for having reservations about invading during the lead-up to the war. I'm not even sure if I gave two shits about politics before then, but after that, I wasn't registering with the GOP, that's for sure.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#27 Post by domino harvey » Tue May 18, 2021 7:27 pm

Mod here: Please don't directly link to copyright infringing uploads. It's fine to direct people to the service that hosts them ("It's up on YouTube" &c), but don't directly link. Thanks!

Red Screamer

#28 Post by Red Screamer » Wed Jul 28, 2021 8:31 pm

An oral history of Clifford, revealing that Nancy Meyers, Nicolas Cage, and Elizabeth Taylor(!) are among the movie's fans.