The Assorted Mammary and Zoological Controversies of Space Jam: A New Legacy

A subforum to discuss film culture and criticism.
domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

Re: The Assorted Mammary and Zoological Controversies of Space Jam: A New Legacy

#26 Post by domino harvey » Tue Mar 09, 2021 2:11 pm

If we really want to get pedantic, which you clearly do, you all are writing the name of the novel wrong: though the animal's name contains no hyphen, it does in the title of the novel (Moby-Dick) (or, to get realllly pedantic, Moby-Dick; or, The Whale)

dustybooks

Re: The Assorted Mammary and Zoological Controversies of Space Jam: A New Legacy

#27 Post by dustybooks » Tue Mar 09, 2021 2:24 pm

cdnchris wrote:
Tue Mar 09, 2021 1:55 pm
I'm not the only one that found Pepe a boring character, am I? His schtick wore itself out after the first cartoon I saw way back when, and during the Looney Tune episodes on Saturday mornings I used his cartoons and the commercials as chances to go off an do something else. The only interesting thing was seeing how the cat was going to come off looking like a skunk. Hell, I forgot he existed until I read about this.
Don't remember having much of an opinion on them as a kid, but because Chuck Jones' style is so appealing to me, I get a kick out of them now. Also actually getting the Boyer / Chevalier joke as an adult makes him more amusing, at least for me.

Gregory

#28 Post by Gregory » Tue Mar 09, 2021 7:48 pm

Brian C wrote:
Tue Mar 09, 2021 9:22 am
I hate to be That Pedantic Guy but misclassifying animals is triggering to me* - skunks are weasels and not rodents! They’re more closely related to dogs and cats than they are to mice and squirrels.
I hate to be that other pedant but skunks haven't been classified the Mustelidae family for a while; they're now understood to be part of their own family.
Maltic wrote:
Tue Mar 09, 2021 11:07 am
From the Pepe Le Pew wiki
In July 2016, it was revealed at San Diego Comic-Con that Max Landis was penning a Pepé Le Pew feature film for Warner Bros.[14] There haven't been no new information since then due to sexual assault allegations against Landis in 2017 and it was confirmed to be cancelled on March 8, 2021 as the character will not appear in future Warner Bros. projects.[15]
Come again?

Brian C
I hate to be That Pedantic Guy but...

#29 Post by Brian C » Tue Mar 09, 2021 8:00 pm

Gregory wrote:I hate to be that other pedant but skunks haven't been classified the Mustelidae family for a while; they're now understood to be part of their own family.
Touché. Apparently I conflated the superfamily Musteloidea with the family Mustelidae, and now I’ve been exposed as a mere wannabe pedant.

Maltic

#30 Post by Maltic » Tue Mar 09, 2021 8:03 pm

Gregory wrote:
Tue Mar 09, 2021 7:48 pm
Maltic wrote:
Tue Mar 09, 2021 11:07 am
From the Pepe Le Pew wiki
In July 2016, it was revealed at San Diego Comic-Con that Max Landis was penning a Pepé Le Pew feature film for Warner Bros.[14] There haven't been no new information since then due to sexual assault allegations against Landis in 2017 and it was confirmed to be cancelled on March 8, 2021 as the character will not appear in future Warner Bros. projects.[15]
Come again?
For this pedantic thread, I did consider adding a [sic], even though the quotation is from Wikipedia.

swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

#31 Post by swo17 » Tue Mar 09, 2021 9:35 pm

I just pray we all remember this thread come awards time

furbicide

#32 Post by furbicide » Tue Mar 09, 2021 10:52 pm

Man, if I had a carrot for each time I've heard someone refer to a rabbit as a rodent (as opposed to a lagomorph, its correct designation), I'd have some very well-fed rabbits.

knives

#33 Post by knives » Tue Mar 09, 2021 11:24 pm

Or a hare as a rabbit.

Brian C
I hate to be That Pedantic Guy but...

#34 Post by Brian C » Tue Mar 09, 2021 11:30 pm

Well OK, but hares and rabbits are merely different genera in the same family, right? That's not really comparable to confusing entire orders.

Zot!

#35 Post by Zot! » Wed Mar 10, 2021 6:44 am

Interesting factoid while Pepe le Pew is a skewering of an oversexed unwashed Frenchman (is that contraction still ok to use?), in the French version, the voice of "Pépé le putois" was dubbed using a heavy Italian accent in a vocal caricature of Yves Montand, who was born Ivo Livi, making Pépé le putois the French Speedy Gonzalez.

I cant remember anything negative about Speedy Gonzalez, in fact the 1986 World Cup mascot bore more than a passing resemblence.

tenia
Ask Me About My Bassoon

#36 Post by tenia » Wed Mar 10, 2021 9:32 am

I suppose the issue wasn't so much Speedy himself that almost every single other Mexicans being designed as sleepy lazy drunkards.