Awards Season 2020

A subforum to discuss film culture and criticism.
domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

Re: Awards Season 2020

#176 Post by domino harvey » Mon Mar 15, 2021 11:14 am

Fiery Angel wrote:
Mon Mar 15, 2021 9:54 am
According to woke Twitter, they dropped Regina King
Imagine being Film Twitter, waking up to the most diverse lineup of acting nominees in the award's history (and all of them plausible choices, unlike the BAFTA asterisks), and scrambling for something else to complain about. The Academy clearly didn't think much of her film, and frankly I was always surprised it was predicted for so long, since no one seemed to care about it. But I was also predicting a Mank snub, so what do I know

Luke M

#177 Post by Luke M » Mon Mar 15, 2021 11:19 am

I'm rooting for Chloe Zhao. Nomadland was fine, it wasn't my favorite but I'd like to see both it and her win.

Mank is a 1 star movie with 10 nominations. Wild.

One Night in Miami is nothing special. I don't understand the praise.

Rough year for obvious reasons.

therewillbeblus

#178 Post by therewillbeblus » Mon Mar 15, 2021 11:19 am

Never Cursed wrote:
Mon Mar 15, 2021 11:09 am
Editing has never made sense in terms of its awards or noms (see: Bohemian Rhapsody, a film which inspired memes about its bad editing, winning, Birdman not being nominated)
Yeah I should have clarified that I’m not surprised by the best edited film not getting nominated so much as Fincher (clearly respected by his peers enough to garner almost double the noms of any other film despite it being his most alienating and muted work to date, even for insiders) getting the snub. He’s a man known for his meticulous editing together of triple-digit takes, and even beyond the rep, the film is pretty loud about its editing strengths (not one of those “most editing=best editing” situations but also containing enough nudging edits to qualify there too)

Randall Maysin

#179 Post by Randall Maysin » Mon Mar 15, 2021 11:22 am

swo17 wrote:
Mon Mar 15, 2021 10:11 am
Man, Kelly Reichardt's just never gonna get in, is she?
I am just surprised/not surprised that goodwill from BlacKkKlansman didn't manifest in ANY nominations for Da 5 Bloods except original score. Well, actually I'm just a little shocked Delroy Lindo didn't get in, considering how well he's done with other awards so far.

DarkImbecile
Ask me about my visible cat breasts

#180 Post by DarkImbecile » Mon Mar 15, 2021 11:24 am

My favorite trivia tidbit so far:

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#181 Post by domino harvey » Mon Mar 15, 2021 11:26 am

Luke M wrote:
Mon Mar 15, 2021 11:19 am

Searchlight has to be kicking themselves for letting Wes Anderson hold onto his film for another year-- in a year with no real emphatic frontrunner (the best we have is people saying, "Nomadland, I guess"), an auteur reward run at the Oscars would have been easy as pie this year

Glowingwabbit

#182 Post by Glowingwabbit » Mon Mar 15, 2021 11:28 am

Most of the outrage I've seen on FIlm Twitter from those who seem to care about this award show have been 1) Delroy Lindo being snubbed, 2) LaKeith Stanfield and Daniel Kaluuya getting supporting nods for a movie they were the leads in, and 3) Shaka King snubbed for director.

Judas and the Black Messiah is the only BP nominee I've seen so I think the second one has merit (especially for Lakeith Stanfield), but I also didn't think it was a well directed film (not that quality of direction has any bearing on the award unfortunately)

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#183 Post by domino harvey » Mon Mar 15, 2021 11:32 am

Glowingwabbit wrote:
Mon Mar 15, 2021 11:28 am
Most of the outrage I've seen on FIlm Twitter from those who seem to care about this award show have been 1) Delroy Lindo being snubbed, 2) LaKeith Stanfield and Daniel Kaluuya getting supporting nods for a movie they were the leads in, and 3) Shaka King snubbed for director.

Judas and the Black Messiah is the only BP nominee I've seen so I think the second one has merit (especially for Lakeith Stanfield), but I also didn't think it was a well directed film (not that quality of direction has any bearing on the award unfortunately)
The studio chooses which category to run actors in, and this gambit clearly worked since few pundits really expected Stanfield. Shaka King wasn't really in conversation at all and their film overperformed, why won't Film Twitter celebrate that?

Glowingwabbit

#184 Post by Glowingwabbit » Mon Mar 15, 2021 11:34 am

I don't think a lot of people understand how these shortlists are put together. I know I tend to forget at times (as I did when I first saw the supporting nominees). I think LaKeith Stanfield is among the best young actors out there so I'm happy for him. I also don't read anything about these award shows so I wasn't attuned to what the predictions were.
Last edited by Glowingwabbit on Mon Mar 15, 2021 11:44 am, edited 1 time in total.

DarkImbecile
Ask me about my visible cat breasts

#185 Post by DarkImbecile » Mon Mar 15, 2021 11:41 am

Stanfield was being run as a lead actor, so this is one of those cases where the voters did their own thing entirely

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#186 Post by domino harvey » Mon Mar 15, 2021 11:43 am

Interesting. The Academy may have long standing rules across categories to prevent another Barry Fitzgerald situation that ended up making this happen by accident

CriterionPhreak

#187 Post by CriterionPhreak » Mon Mar 15, 2021 11:46 am

Minari was snubbed out of a nod for international film because it was made in the US. A few years ago a non-US film was snubbed out of a nod because it was in English. This rule has got to go. It's unfair to the filmmakers to have to lose recognition from the biggest film awards due to some silly technicality that many other awards don't have.

Brian C
I hate to be That Pedantic Guy but...

#188 Post by Brian C » Mon Mar 15, 2021 11:50 am

domino harvey wrote:
Luke M wrote:
Mon Mar 15, 2021 11:19 am

Searchlight has to be kicking themselves for letting Wes Anderson hold onto his film for another year-- in a year with no real emphatic frontrunner (the best we have is people saying, "Nomadland, I guess"), an auteur reward run at the Oscars would have been easy as pie this year
This is a really good point but nonetheless I have to wonder how well the Anderson would have done (assuming it would have been as well-received as a typical Anderson film). This is a remarkably esoteric list of nominees, and while COVID obviously has a lot to do with what movies were available in the first place, it also seems like Oscar voters have been trending in this direction for awhile anyway. Anderson may already be an outdated relic among this collection of voters, as much as I personally love him.

Fiery Angel

#189 Post by Fiery Angel » Mon Mar 15, 2021 11:56 am

CriterionPhreak wrote:
Mon Mar 15, 2021 11:46 am
Minari was snubbed out of a nod for international film because it was made in the US. A few years ago a non-US film was snubbed out of a nod because it was in English. This rule has got to go. It's unfair to the filmmakers to have to lose recognition from the biggest film awards due to some silly technicality that many other awards don't have.
I think they're happier with a Best Picture nom instead.

beamish14

#190 Post by beamish14 » Mon Mar 15, 2021 12:06 pm

The Animated Feature category is the shitshow that I expected, which completely ignored the brilliant Kill it and Leave this Town from Poland and No. 7 Cherry Lane from Hong Kong. Hopefully Onward and Soul will split the vote and lead to the more deserving Wolfwalkers winning.

Brian C
I hate to be That Pedantic Guy but...

#191 Post by Brian C » Mon Mar 15, 2021 12:23 pm

beamish14 wrote:The Animated Feature category is the shitshow that I expected, which completely ignored the brilliant Kill it and Leave this Town from Poland and No. 7 Cherry Lane from Hong Kong. Hopefully Onward and Soul will split the vote and lead to the more deserving Wolfwalkers winning.
Seems unlikely though - ONWARD seems like the most unloved and quickly forgotten Pixar since THE GOOD DINOSAUR, and I doubt it would have gotten nominated with a normal year’s full slate of movies.

Apperson

#192 Post by Apperson » Mon Mar 15, 2021 12:33 pm

With the LaKeith Stanfield thing there is a non-zero chance he could've got more votes in Lead Actor than in Supporting, it's just that the Lead category was more set and he fell under the 5 nominees whilst in Supporting the field was so fragmented he squeaked in on the strength of the film.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#193 Post by domino harvey » Mon Mar 15, 2021 12:45 pm

Brian C wrote:
Mon Mar 15, 2021 11:06 am
Man, I’m so out of it this year that I had never even heard of MINARI until this morning.
I'm not that out of the loop, but I def never heard of the White Tiger til it's nomination in Best Adapted Screenplay this morning

Dr Amicus

#194 Post by Dr Amicus » Mon Mar 15, 2021 12:49 pm

I think Onward suffered a bit from its timing - too late for a full theatrical run and too soon to be a major player in post-lockdown streaming. Personally, I liked it a lot - especially as it progressed. It was definitely a film which got stronger as it went on.

I haven't seen Wolfwalkers yet, but it seems to be the critical favourite of the five. Personally, I'd be very happy with a Sean The Sheep win - it's a marvellous film, clever, witty and warm.

Pavel

#195 Post by Pavel » Mon Mar 15, 2021 12:56 pm

domino harvey wrote:
Mon Mar 15, 2021 12:45 pm

I'm not that out of the loop, but I def never heard of the White Tiger til it's nomination in Best Adapted Screenplay this morning
I can't imagine many people loving it, but it's a decent fifth spot

Boosmahn

#196 Post by Boosmahn » Mon Mar 15, 2021 1:45 pm

Nothing for First Cow? [-(

The Fanciful Norwegian

#197 Post by The Fanciful Norwegian » Mon Mar 15, 2021 2:48 pm

beamish14 wrote:
Mon Mar 15, 2021 12:06 pm
The Animated Feature category is the shitshow that I expected, which completely ignored the brilliant Kill it and Leave this Town from Poland and No. 7 Cherry Lane from Hong Kong. Hopefully Onward and Soul will split the vote and lead to the more deserving Wolfwalkers winning.
I haven't seen No. 7 Cherry Lane and I also want to be clear that I'm not endorsing this attitude, but besides the fact that it never got a U.S. distributor, I wonder if voters were turned off by Yonfan's open and rather vituperative criticism of the anti-government protests in Hong Kong. By a similar token, I'm cynical enough to wonder if the nom for Better Days (which nobody seems to have treated as a serious contender) might have been helped by voters thinking it was an act of solidarity to support it, even though it's a Hong Kong film to about the same degree that Blade Runner 2049 is a Canadian film. Ironically it's significantly let down by the obvious compromises needed to get it through the mainland censors, though I think it's still probably better than the average as far as the Academy's foreign-language nominations go.

hearthesilence

#198 Post by hearthesilence » Mon Mar 15, 2021 3:54 pm

Brian C wrote:
Mon Mar 15, 2021 11:06 am
Man, I’m so out of it this year that I had never even heard of MINARI until this morning.
I'm much more out of it. Minari cracked my top ten, but I'm drawing a complete blank on Another Round, Promising Young Woman, The Father, all of the "international feature film" nominees, all of the documentaries except Time, all but two of the animated features (I didn't even know there was another Shaun the Sheep movie), and that doesn't even cover the less-hyped categories.

hearthesilence

#199 Post by hearthesilence » Mon Mar 15, 2021 4:05 pm

Never Cursed wrote:
Mon Mar 15, 2021 11:09 am
Editing has never made sense in terms of its awards or noms (see:Birdman not being nominated)
Duh, whadya talking about? It was one shot, and how could there be editing if there was no editing, huh?

hearthesilence

#200 Post by hearthesilence » Mon Mar 15, 2021 4:08 pm

domino harvey wrote:
Mon Mar 15, 2021 11:26 am
Assuming it would have lived up to everyone's hopes, a clean sleep by a Wes Anderson movie would've been awesome. Too bad PTA didn't start his new film earlier, if it came out this year, it could've done the same.