Awards Season 2020

A subforum to discuss film culture and criticism.
Matt

Re: Awards Season 2020

#226 Post by Matt » Wed Mar 17, 2021 6:04 pm

felipe wrote:
Wed Mar 17, 2021 5:02 pm
It's just that many seem to believe this is a weaker batch of nominees because of "all the movies" that got pushed back to 2021 due to the pandemic. But besides the Anderson film and maybe West Side Story, what other Oscar hopefuls got pushed back?
Plenty. Dune, In the Heights, Taylor Sheridan’s Those Who Wish Me Dead, Soderbergh's No Sudden Move, Disney's live-action Hunchback of Notre Dame, The Little Mermaid, and/or Peter Pan & Wendy, George Miller's Three Thousand Years of Longing, Mélanie Laurent's The Nightingale, Paul Schraeder's The Card Counter, Guillermo del Toro's Nightmare Alley, Baz Luhrmann's Elvis (god help us), Jane Campion's The Power of the Dog, Joel Coen's The Tragedy of Macbeth, Adam Mackay's Don't Look Up, Ridley Scott's The Last Duel...and those are just some of the films that were already in production (or very close to it) that got delayed.

therewillbeblus

#227 Post by therewillbeblus » Wed Mar 17, 2021 8:37 pm

Mike Mills' C'mon C'mon was finished and surely would have/will score some noms given the premise and with Phoenix attached, not to mention Mills' talents. Also I think PTA and potentially David O. Russell's (though I may be making that up, since we were comparing his production-to-delivery timeline to PTA's in our pre-COVID musings) films could have entered production and been ready in time.

DarkImbecile
Ask me about my visible cat breasts

#228 Post by DarkImbecile » Sun Mar 21, 2021 8:35 pm

At the WGAs, Borat wins Adapted Screenplay and Promising Young Woman wins Original Screenplay. Hearty congratulations to twbb

therewillbeblus

#229 Post by therewillbeblus » Sun Mar 21, 2021 8:51 pm

I enjoyed Sorkin's script as a self-conscious exaggeration of the kind of social justice wish fulfillment punchlines only found in artifice, but it's not much more than that kind of cartoonish gratification done really well (and I did like the movie a lot under the umbrella of what it is).

This is excellent, hopeful news though. If Fennell and Mulligan actually both take home statues we can finally rub some of the stain out of 2020.

hearthesilence

#230 Post by hearthesilence » Sat Mar 27, 2021 10:49 pm

Matt wrote:
Wed Mar 17, 2021 6:04 pm
felipe wrote:
Wed Mar 17, 2021 5:02 pm
It's just that many seem to believe this is a weaker batch of nominees because of "all the movies" that got pushed back to 2021 due to the pandemic. But besides the Anderson film and maybe West Side Story, what other Oscar hopefuls got pushed back?
Plenty. Dune, In the Heights, Taylor Sheridan’s Those Who Wish Me Dead, Soderbergh's No Sudden Move, Disney's live-action Hunchback of Notre Dame, The Little Mermaid, and/or Peter Pan & Wendy, George Miller's Three Thousand Years of Longing, Mélanie Laurent's The Nightingale, Paul Schraeder's The Card Counter, Guillermo del Toro's Nightmare Alley, Baz Luhrmann's Elvis (god help us), Jane Campion's The Power of the Dog, Joel Coen's The Tragedy of Macbeth, Adam Mackay's Don't Look Up, Ridley Scott's The Last Duel...and those are just some of the films that were already in production (or very close to it) that got delayed.
Looking this over, I get the feeling next year's Oscars is going to be big, brassy and garish, especially compared to this year.

Brian C
I hate to be That Pedantic Guy but...

#231 Post by Brian C » Sun Mar 28, 2021 2:02 am

We can only hope!

I’m 5/8 of my way through this year’s Best Pic nominees and frankly I could use a little more garishness.

soundchaser
Leave Her to Beaver

#232 Post by soundchaser » Thu Apr 01, 2021 2:08 pm

Has anyone else started putting together their Oscars ballot yet? I’ve seen exactly 0 of this year’s nominees, but I enjoyed guessing last year and would be happy to do the same again if we can.

dda1996a

#233 Post by dda1996a » Thu Apr 01, 2021 3:06 pm

Brian C wrote:
Sun Mar 28, 2021 2:02 am
We can only hope!

I’m 5/8 of my way through this year’s Best Pic nominees and frankly I could use a little more garishness.
I could have used anything more to be honest, finished them all last week and this is by far the weakest batch of BP nominees I can remember. The only good thing is that we have a pretty wide range of demographics represented (two females, two asians, multiple black made films) but I really didn't much enjoy most of them.

DarkImbecile

#234 Post by DarkImbecile » Thu Apr 01, 2021 3:16 pm

soundchaser wrote:
Thu Apr 01, 2021 2:08 pm
Has anyone else started putting together their Oscars ballot yet? I’ve seen exactly 0 of this year’s nominees, but I enjoyed guessing last year and would be happy to do the same again if we can.
I’d be happy to compile a sheet tracking everyone’s guesses if people are interested; show of hands?

therewillbeblus

#235 Post by therewillbeblus » Thu Apr 01, 2021 3:22 pm

I'm definitely up for it (I always make a ballot regardless), though I'd like to wait on compiling those, per usual, until closer to the ceremony. I'd also be interested in the same "prize" of the winner picking a film for the other participants to watch and write about. Speaking of: DI, are there any stragglers left who need to see/post on Portrait of a Lady on Fire or Sunset?

DarkImbecile

#236 Post by DarkImbecile » Thu Apr 01, 2021 3:37 pm

I'll probably just make anyone who participated last year but hasn't posted on Portrait (or Sunset, for a certain moderator) ineligible, unless I get a convincing pandemic/unemployment/general 2020 chaos excuse.

soundchaser
Leave Her to Beaver

#237 Post by soundchaser » Thu Apr 01, 2021 4:09 pm

Well, that would be me, apparently! I've seen Portrait, but it's been a while. (And my only contribution in that thread is a comment on the title's translation.)

swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

#238 Post by swo17 » Thu Apr 01, 2021 4:12 pm

soundchaser wrote:
Thu Apr 01, 2021 4:09 pm
(And my only contribution in that thread is a comment on the title's translation.)
That counts

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#239 Post by domino harvey » Thu Apr 01, 2021 5:18 pm

DarkImbecile wrote:
Thu Apr 01, 2021 3:37 pm
I'll probably just make anyone who participated last year but hasn't posted on Portrait (or Sunset, for a certain moderator) ineligible, unless I get a convincing pandemic/unemployment/general 2020 chaos excuse.

therewillbeblus

#240 Post by therewillbeblus » Sun Apr 04, 2021 11:07 pm

SAG Winners

Outstanding performance by a cast in a motion picture
The Trial of the Chicago 7

Outstanding performance by a female actor in a leading role
Viola Davis, Ma Rainey's Black Bottom

Outstanding performance by a male actor in a leading role
Chadwick Boseman, Ma Rainey's Black Bottom

Outstanding performance by a female actor in a supporting role
Youn Yuh-jung, Minari

Outstanding performance by a male actor in a supporting role
Daniel Kaluuya, Judas and the Black Messiah

Outstanding performance by an ensemble in a comedy series
Schitt's Creek

Outstanding performance by an ensemble in a drama series
The Crown

Outstanding performance by a female actor in a miniseries or television movie
Anya Taylor-Joy, The Queen's Gambit

Outstanding performance by a male actor in a miniseries or television movie
Mark Ruffalo, I Know This Much Is True

Outstanding performance by a female actor in a comedy series
Catherine O'Hara, Schitt's Creek

Outstanding performance by a male actor in a comedy series
Jason Sudeikis, Ted Lasso

Outstanding performance by a male actor in a drama series
Jason Bateman, Ozark

Outstanding performance by a female actor in a drama series
Gillian Anderson, The Crown

Outstanding stunt ensemble in a comedy or drama series
The Mandalorian

Outstanding stunt ensemble in a motion picture
Wonder Woman 1984

therewillbeblus

#241 Post by therewillbeblus » Sun Apr 04, 2021 11:09 pm

I can't remember the last time a top category was anyone's game, but Best Actress is shaping up to be a true nailbiter (well, except for Kirby)

Pavel

#242 Post by Pavel » Mon Apr 05, 2021 5:22 am

Until now, I thought the clear frontrunner was Mulligan, but now it's pretty wild. None of the three winners so far (Day — Globes, Davis — SAG, Mulligan — Critic's Choice) even got nominated for the BAFTA, so I think Kirby has a decent shot there (though the hype is clearly absent).
Supporting Actress seemed like the more exciting category, but at this point it looks like Youn is the frontrunner, with Bakalova close behind.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#243 Post by domino harvey » Mon Apr 05, 2021 10:25 am

From what I gather on a certain other awards forum, Tom O'Neill of Gold Derby apparently leaked the SAG winners by updating his predictions to the winning slate minutes before they were publicly announced

therewillbeblus

#244 Post by therewillbeblus » Mon Apr 05, 2021 10:28 am

Pavel wrote:
Mon Apr 05, 2021 5:22 am
Until now, I thought the clear frontrunner was Mulligan, but now it's pretty wild. None of the three winners so far (Day — Globes, Davis — SAG, Mulligan — Critic's Choice) even got nominated for the BAFTA, so I think Kirby has a decent shot there (though the hype is clearly absent).
Supporting Actress seemed like the more exciting category, but at this point it looks like Youn is the frontrunner, with Bakalova close behind.
Youn has it in the bag. The only top categories with any surprise left are actress and original screenplay, coincidentally the only two I have a stake in

soundchaser
Leave Her to Beaver

#245 Post by soundchaser » Mon Apr 05, 2021 10:32 am

I think there could be a surprise at Best Picture like last year (there seems to be lots of momentum behind The Trial of Chicago 7), but we'll see what happens at the BAFTAs.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#246 Post by domino harvey » Mon Apr 05, 2021 10:33 am

I think Nomadland is a film everyone assumes is the front runner but no one seems all that passionate about. Thing is, I'm not sure what film this year anyone is passionate about save perhaps PYW, which I really can't see wining.

knives

#247 Post by knives » Mon Apr 05, 2021 10:38 am

The question is what film is Hollywood passionate about. I remember del Toro’s win was a surprise to most, but the trades and secret ballots were filled with people having a personal stake to it. I could definitely see Trial working like that for a subset of voters.

soundchaser
Leave Her to Beaver

#248 Post by soundchaser » Mon Apr 05, 2021 10:42 am

I think we'd have a clearer picture if Nomadland had been eligible for the WGA Awards. That's throwing a monkey wrench into my predictions right now. (If it loses at the ASC Awards I'll be comfortable saying it's no longer the front runner.)

therewillbeblus

#249 Post by therewillbeblus » Mon Apr 05, 2021 10:45 am

Yeah though with the ranked system in the Oscars now, there are more opportunities for the safe pick to win vs a film with the most passionate fan base gaining momentum. Green Book is a prime example of that- even those who like it should admit it had no loud spirit campaigning to the finish line. Parasite had both passion and was a film that everyone at least liked, but I’d wager the latter pattern is the reason it came out ahead. If any film is going to upset Nomadland I’m going to bet on Minari because Hollywood honors the progressive zeitgeist (see: The Salesman beating Toni Erdmann for solely political reasons).

knives

#250 Post by knives » Mon Apr 05, 2021 10:50 am

And being a better film on every account. :o
Last edited by knives on Mon Apr 05, 2021 10:55 am, edited 1 time in total.