Streaming Services

A subforum to discuss film culture and criticism.
ando
Bringing Out El Duende

Re: Streaming Services

#126 Post by ando » Mon Jun 29, 2020 7:17 am

Yes, I see! I Love Lucy, Taxi, The Brady Bunch, The [first] Odd Couple, Happy Days, Everybody Hates Chris and, of course, Star Trek (in all its incarnations) are favorites streaming now. They're obviously going for a certain age demographic.

unclehulot

#127 Post by unclehulot » Mon Jun 29, 2020 10:30 am

ando wrote:
dadaistnun wrote:
Mon Jun 24, 2019 1:40 pm
NYPL is dropping Kanopy effective July 1.
We are saddened to inform you that the New York, Queens, and Brooklyn Public Libraries have decided to discontinue Kanopy's film streaming service to its patrons, effective July 1, 2019.

Film as a public resource is a critical part of New York’s culture and communities. We have enjoyed furthering the New York City libraries’ mission of providing open access to knowledge through our diverse and exclusive slate of 19,000+ thought-provoking films — from The Criterion Collection and The Great Courses to Frederick Wiseman documentaries and award-winning favorites like MOONLIGHT, LADY BIRD and I AM NOT YOUR NEGRO.

We are proud of the degree to which the New York community so strongly embraced Kanopy, and although we are disappointed by this decision, we understand that New York City’s libraries’ current priorities lie with other programs that also advance their mission.

We are grateful for these libraries’ support of Kanopy for the past several years and we will continue to work with them to explore opportunities to partner again in the future. Until then, we hope we left you with an experience that enriched, inspired, and challenged your perspectives.

Thank you for your patronage and support and we hope to connect with you again soon!

Sincerely,

Olivia Humphrey
CEO, Kanopy
No!!!!!!! :( Leaving us with NO alternative for streaming Shakespeare (for example). Completely wrongheaded. Prayers for a backlash. My letter (however futile) is on its way.
Britbox recently added quite a few BBC Shakespeare titles, and Amazon Prime also has a number of them. I hope my school keeps Kanopy access....my wife’s school cancelled Kanopy recently.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

ando
Bringing Out El Duende

#128 Post by ando » Mon Jun 29, 2020 4:28 pm

unclehulot wrote:
Mon Jun 29, 2020 10:30 am
Britbox recently added quite a few BBC Shakespeare titles, and Amazon Prime also has a number of them. I hope my school keeps Kanopy access....my wife’s school cancelled Kanopy recently.
That really was a disappointment. But BroadwayHD, which you can get through Prime or as a stand-alone app, has the entire series currently streaming. So there is an alternative for teachers with one or two of the less well known plays on their syllabus. Kanopy, at least through the NYPL system, NEVER had the entire series streaming at once. All's Well... :)

knives

#129 Post by knives » Fri Jul 03, 2020 3:17 pm

Mubi is showing Herzog's latest not a documentary for free right now for everyone with a login, but only for 24 hours.

Oedipax

#131 Post by Oedipax » Tue Jul 07, 2020 1:31 am

That's cool. Half the space of H.265 specifically, which was already a big improvement efficiency-wise to H.264 (albeit with higher hardware requirements for playback).

schellenbergk

#132 Post by schellenbergk » Tue Jul 07, 2020 10:08 am

RIP Film wrote:
Wed May 27, 2020 1:31 pm
Even if you order hbomax directly through Hulu or YoutubeTV, it simply won’t play on Roku or Fire.

Yeah... They can go to hell.
Weird. I get HBO Max through Hulu. It plays just fine on both my old Roku as well as my newish Roku TV. So ... not understanding the problem you're having?

RIP Film

#133 Post by RIP Film » Tue Jul 07, 2020 10:37 am

You’re probably not getting the full catalog of content. Unless they changed something.

ando
Bringing Out El Duende

#134 Post by ando » Fri Jul 24, 2020 1:35 pm

14 Hitchcock films (+ all 7 seasons of AHPresents) are currently streaming free on NBC’s Peacocktv. Course, there are ads (unless you’ve got a blocker) but it’s made my weekend already. 🍿

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#135 Post by domino harvey » Thu Jul 30, 2020 1:32 am

I got a free year of Apple TV+ with my new MacBook Pro, is there anything on there worth watching? At least I’ll get to see that Sofia Coppola movie assuming it’s comes out in the next year. And I can also watch via my Amazon Fire, which is an improvement on a certain other high profile streamer...

criterionsnob

#136 Post by criterionsnob » Thu Jul 30, 2020 9:12 am

I enjoyed both Visible: Out on Television and the series Home. Didn’t watch anything else during my free trial.

mfunk9786
Under Chris' Protection

#137 Post by mfunk9786 » Thu Jul 30, 2020 10:02 am

domino harvey wrote:
Thu Jul 30, 2020 1:32 am
I got a free year of Apple TV+ with my new MacBook Pro, is there anything on there worth watching? At least I’ll get to see that Sofia Coppola movie assuming it’s comes out in the next year. And I can also watch via my Amazon Fire, which is an improvement on a certain other high profile streamer...
Mythic Quest is a solid single camera workplace sitcom that has been overlooked by critics and audiences. It isn't perfect, but the first season of any comedy like it never is. If you enjoy It's Always Sunny you'll feel its DNA (this show is created and written (with a writing staff) by Rob McElhenney and Charlie Day) despite it existing in a friendlier, more diverse, more modern package.

And the episode they executed entirely in quarantine is kind of amazing and a perfect/unexpected cap to the first season.

flyonthewall2983

#138 Post by flyonthewall2983 » Thu Jul 30, 2020 10:03 am

RIP Film wrote:
Tue Jul 07, 2020 10:37 am
You’re probably not getting the full catalog of content. Unless they changed something.
It says HBO Max but it's basically just HBO. You can get HBO Max free if you have HBO through Hulu like he does, but I think that's explained elsewhere here.

ando
Bringing Out El Duende

#139 Post by ando » Sun Aug 02, 2020 5:16 pm

Not a bad day for new titles in Prime movies. Popular fare doesn''t get added often enough, imo; they seem intent on enticing supplemental channel adds. Then again, competition from free movie streaming services is getting stiff.

black&huge

#140 Post by black&huge » Sun Aug 02, 2020 6:13 pm

ando wrote:
Sun Aug 02, 2020 5:16 pm
Not a bad day for new titles in Prime movies. Popular fare doesn''t get added often enough, imo; they seem intent on enticing supplemental channel adds. Then again, competition from free movie streaming services is getting stiff.
Blair Witch 2? don't mind if I do!

ando
Bringing Out El Duende

#141 Post by ando » Sun Aug 02, 2020 8:26 pm

black&huge wrote:
Sun Aug 02, 2020 6:13 pm
Blair Witch 2? don't mind if I do!
Heh. Never saw the first one. The 80s fare - popular cheese - dominates (Aug. 2 listing), including three from Woody Allen. Looking forward to Yellowbeard (never saw it) and How To beat The High Cost of Living (flashback).

ando
Bringing Out El Duende

#142 Post by ando » Thu Aug 06, 2020 6:30 pm

More Woody Allen: The Front (1976, Martin Ritt) on Prime. How'd I never see that film? I guess it's what most here would expect from Ritt (how is there no dedicated filmmaker thread?) but I miss that era of shameless political satire, frankly. The big heavies from Allen aren't on Prime but enough of the well known titles to satisfy.

ando
Bringing Out El Duende

#143 Post by ando » Tue Aug 25, 2020 10:02 am

The seldom seen Joel Oliansky film The Competition (1980) is currently streaming on the (free) Plutotv app/website. The romance between pianists, Amy Irving and Richard Dreyfuss, isn't entirely convincing but their competitiveness and ability to convey the splendors of a few great classical works is. The convoluted but, thankfully, insignificant side plot involving a defecting Soviet piano teacher is a big miss but the sacrilege is interrupting the Prokofiev 3rd with a Good Rx commercial. And, regrettably, no ad blocker will remedy this.

Dylan

#144 Post by Dylan » Tue Aug 25, 2020 3:33 pm

I've noticed that on Amazon Prime, some movies shot in 2.35:1 have been vertically stretched to 1.85:1, rendering them unwatchable (for the record, the film I tried to watch today with this issue is The Big Bounce [1969], but this is far from the first time I've noticed this). Is there a particularly good/reliable way to notify Amazon about this, or must one simply write a review warning others? This seems like it should be a quick fix, but a cursory search didn't reveal any specific way to directly communicate such an issue to Amazon.

RitrovataBlue

#145 Post by RitrovataBlue » Tue Aug 25, 2020 5:06 pm

You’ll often find stretching/cropping on streaming services, though I’ve noticed it less often in the last few years than I once did. It’s most common in films licensed from television channels/included in TV subscriptions. For example, I tried to watch Die Hard on Prime this year via my HBO subscription only to find its 2.35:1 photography stretched and cropped to 1.77:1. It was unwatchable. But since that’s how films are typically screened on TV, and it was “Included with my HBO subscription,” I couldn’t do anything about it (except cave in and purchase the UHD).

ando
Bringing Out El Duende

#146 Post by ando » Tue Aug 25, 2020 7:26 pm

Not to make excuses for APrime, guys, but I've found in the overwhelming majority of aspect ratio complaints that it's the device causing the problem. Double and triple check the settings on whatever device you're watching APrime (an update may even be called for) and try again. Smart TVs are notorious for this sort of problem. Had to reset a neighbor's settings (just put it on "Auto") when she complained about this to me.

kidc

#147 Post by kidc » Wed Aug 26, 2020 4:20 pm

Dylan wrote:
Tue Aug 25, 2020 3:33 pm
I've noticed that on Amazon Prime, some movies shot in 2.35:1 have been vertically stretched to 1.85:1, rendering them unwatchable (for the record, the film I tried to watch today with this issue is The Big Bounce [1969], but this is far from the first time I've noticed this). Is there a particularly good/reliable way to notify Amazon about this, or must one simply write a review warning others? This seems like it should be a quick fix, but a cursory search didn't reveal any specific way to directly communicate such an issue to Amazon.
As far as I'm aware, the onus for QC is very much in the distributors' hands for Amazon Prime Video, so I imagine the fault is on the distributor side.

hanshotfirst1138

Streaming Services

#148 Post by hanshotfirst1138 » Tue Sep 08, 2020 11:49 am

My new iPhone crops many, many 2.35 movies down fit the phone, and Apple have no answer for me as to why.

Apparently HBO MAX is STILL having a huge fight with Fire and Roku and hasn’t created an app for either yet. As usual, the consumer must suffer. I suppose I should be glad that it even works on Chromecast.

John Shade

#149 Post by John Shade » Tue Sep 08, 2020 12:52 pm

domino harvey wrote:
Thu Jul 30, 2020 1:32 am
Is having a subscription to Apple TV the only way to see this movie? (Sorry for posting here; I couldn't quite find a thread for On the Rocks...)

willoneill

#150 Post by willoneill » Tue Sep 08, 2020 1:15 pm

John Shade wrote:
Tue Sep 08, 2020 12:52 pm
Is having a subscription to Apple TV the only way to see this movie? (Sorry for posting here; I couldn't quite find a thread for On the Rocks...)
I believe it will be in a small amount of theatres, but other than that, yes you'll have to subscribe to AppleTV+ for a month. Or buy a new iPhone/iPad/iWatch? I got a new iPhone in January so I've used that free year's subscription to watch The Morning Show and that Tom Hanks WWII movie.