Streaming Services

A subforum to discuss film culture and criticism.
aox

Re: Streaming Services

#176 Post by aox » Wed Nov 18, 2020 6:56 pm

I second The Leftovers and Succession. Though, I understand if the latter hits too close to home given the times we live in (e.g. Murdochs, Trumps, etc...). My SO won't even continence the idea.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#177 Post by domino harvey » Wed Nov 18, 2020 7:26 pm

Thanks everyone! Are any of the (other) international shows worth watching?

therewillbeblus

#178 Post by therewillbeblus » Wed Nov 18, 2020 8:06 pm

In one final plug for The Leftovers, I'll just say that I think it's on a relatable wavelength to The Young Pope's take on the enigmatic discomfort/comfort space of 'belief' and occupies a similarly abstract delivery method. Also, if you've somehow never gotten around to Nathan For You, I see that's included and should be prioritized when looking for a few laughs. No idea about the international shows.

flyonthewall2983

#179 Post by flyonthewall2983 » Wed Nov 18, 2020 8:12 pm

Is Beforeigners any good? Saw the trailer on a Facebook friend's post and was intrigued.

brundlefly

#180 Post by brundlefly » Wed Nov 18, 2020 8:50 pm

The Harley Quinn animated series is on HBOMax and it is a gift, a goofball clownf*ck corrective (with heart) to the ponderous self-serious slog that is too many superhero properties. It may be the most quotable show since 30 Rock -- the joy of watching supervillains sit around and say things like, "I am the shadow that haunts your darkness!"and "I think it was more of a lack of affordable housing that destroyed Gotham." There's more than a hint of Ben Edlund's Tick in there (Kite Man!), Christopher Meloni's Jim Gordon is the best Jim Gordon, and there's enough Ugogirl narrative throughline to make the thing as bingeable as razzy tazzy.

Aunt Peg

#181 Post by Aunt Peg » Thu Nov 19, 2020 8:48 am

Probably due to the fact the The Life Ahead (2020) staring Sophia Loren is now streaming on Netflix, they are also screening two Dino Rosi films Scandal in Sorrento (1955) & The Sign of Venus (1955) which both feature a very young Sophia Loren.

kidc

#182 Post by kidc » Thu Nov 19, 2020 9:37 am

Matt wrote:
Wed Nov 18, 2020 6:22 pm
domino harvey wrote:
Tue Nov 17, 2020 11:04 pm
Okay, time for Grandpa Domino Harvey to once again ask for recommendations on good streaming programming from HBO Max now that AMEX cut me a sweet deal on membership
I May Destroy You.
This is a tremendous show. Has it made much of an impact in the US?

Dom, here's an article on Michaela Cole, the creator of the show, it's very long but it gives a good sense of what the show is about in the first section.

Forrest Taft

#183 Post by Forrest Taft » Thu Nov 19, 2020 4:10 pm

domino harvey wrote:
Wed Nov 18, 2020 7:26 pm
Thanks everyone! Are any of the (other) international shows worth watching?
I would think the Lukas Moodysson series is on HBO Max?

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#184 Post by domino harvey » Fri Nov 20, 2020 1:10 pm

Wow, I had no idea he made a TV show! Gosta is indeed up on there. Looks like he wrote and directed all twelve episodes

Murdoch

#185 Post by Murdoch » Thu Nov 26, 2020 10:02 pm

For the Max originals, I've liked the Third Day with Jude Law, which is partly inspired by the Wicker Man and has some interesting twists in the story.

Search Party, a show I've championed since it premiered on TBS, is exclusively on Max. While the latest season isn't great, seasons 1 and 2 are among the best TV of the last decade.
Last edited by Murdoch on Thu Nov 26, 2020 11:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

therewillbeblus

#186 Post by therewillbeblus » Thu Nov 26, 2020 11:16 pm

Murdoch wrote:
Thu Nov 26, 2020 10:02 pm
For the Max originals, I've liked the Third Day with Jude Law, which is partly inspired by the Wicker Man and has some interesting twists in the story.
I watched the first three eps (the Law segments) and aside from some impressive visuals I generally hated it, which came as a surprise considering I love Law, Dennis Kelly's Utopia, and The Wicker Man/Midsommar/other riffs. I had no desire to continue, but did the Naomi Harris narrative improve things?

Murdoch

#187 Post by Murdoch » Thu Nov 26, 2020 11:27 pm

Her appearance provides an interesting turn for the story and I think saves the series from
SpoilerShow
the Jude Law as savior plot presented when Law is the focus in the early episodes. Admittedly, I'm only halfway through. I don't think it's successful in how the isle's theology ties to Law and Harris's son and it's certainly not the Wicker Man successor it tries to be (in fact the more it dives into the locale's politics, the worse it becomes). I'm just hanging on because it still holds some intrigue for me and I want to see where it goes. Also, the visuals can be fantastic, as you pointed out.

ando
Bringing Out El Duende

#188 Post by ando » Tue Dec 01, 2020 2:53 pm

Anyone know of any sites for browsing the Netflix catalog like instantwatcher.com (which ceased to update NF titles mid May of this year)? These types of sites seem to have disappeared altogether. :|

flyonthewall2983

#189 Post by flyonthewall2983 » Tue Dec 01, 2020 2:57 pm

Netflix should get it's act together and be more transparent about what's coming and going. Criterion Channel is great at this. Even WWE Network has a "just arrived" page now.

HypnoHelioStaticStasis

#190 Post by HypnoHelioStaticStasis » Tue Dec 01, 2020 3:05 pm

Ando- This site's interface is a bit wonky and I'm not entirely sure how accurate it is, but I think it does a decent job of running down titles.

therewillbeblus

#191 Post by therewillbeblus » Tue Dec 01, 2020 3:50 pm

Murdoch wrote:
Thu Nov 26, 2020 11:27 pm
Her appearance provides an interesting turn for the story and I think saves the series from
SpoilerShow
the Jude Law as savior plot presented when Law is the focus in the early episodes. Admittedly, I'm only halfway through. I don't think it's successful in how the isle's theology ties to Law and Harris's son and it's certainly not the Wicker Man successor it tries to be (in fact the more it dives into the locale's politics, the worse it becomes). I'm just hanging on because it still holds some intrigue for me and I want to see where it goes. Also, the visuals can be fantastic, as you pointed out.
Wait,
SpoilerShow
Harris is playing Law's wife? As in, it's their son that the first half of eps was about re: Law's loss? I had no idea the stories were actually connected in a corporeal sense

ando
Bringing Out El Duende

#192 Post by ando » Tue Dec 01, 2020 6:31 pm

HypnoHelioStaticStasis wrote:
Tue Dec 01, 2020 3:05 pm
Ando- This site's interface is a bit wonky and I'm not entirely sure how accurate it is, but I think it does a decent job of running down titles.
Of course - I often visit JustWatch but it didn't occur to me to use the site for a general Netflix search. Thanks.

Not sure how long they're running this but but all Sean Connery (R.I.P.) as Agent 007 films are currently streaming free on YouTube (helps to have Premium/no ads).

Murdoch

#193 Post by Murdoch » Tue Dec 01, 2020 6:46 pm

therewillbeblus wrote:
Tue Dec 01, 2020 3:50 pm
Wait,
SpoilerShow
Harris is playing Law's wife? As in, it's their son that the first half of eps was about re: Law's loss? I had no idea the stories were actually connected in a corporeal sense
SpoilerShow
Yeah, basically Harris goes to the island with their children in search of Law after he disappeared for several months. IIRC he speaks with her on the phone in the first episode (although it's not revealed to have been Harris until the episode where they meet on the island).

therewillbeblus

#194 Post by therewillbeblus » Tue Dec 01, 2020 7:07 pm

SpoilerShow
Yeah he does, I'm curious if Law pops up as 'king' or whatever now, and is actually a character across all six eps, even though he was only advertised as being in the Summer segment
probably not curious enough to keep going though unless you report that the ending is great, in which case I can flex another three hours if there are rewards to be had

Murdoch

#195 Post by Murdoch » Tue Dec 01, 2020 11:55 pm

SpoilerShow
He is indeed "king" and appears throughout the series.
I'm on the last episode and will do a write-up of my thoughts. I can't say I'm captivated by the series, but I'm at least motivated to see where it ends up!

EDIT: Finished the last episode and it rises about the initial Wicker Man rip it began as, but only barely.
SpoilerShow
I think the series would have been more interesting if it began with Harris arriving at the island, looking for Law, rather than her popping up halfway through the season. Law's section is too concerned with the island's religion and leaning into Law's Woodward-style discovery of that religion and the locale. Harris's section follows the same plot points at first but has a far more interesting reveal, as she comes across a wild-haired Law raving that the two's dead son lives on in a younger child.

Despite all the set up, it ends with a whimper. Harris flees the island with her daughters in the midst of a coup by a faction of the island, the coup hoping to install another leader and oust Law. On paper that sounds interesting, but I didn't really care one way or another about what was happening. I think it's because Harris's role becomes about her reacting to murderous zealots and never advances beyond it, despite her being the emotional crutch and anchor for the series' second half and finale. It's a hollow horror story with a lot of high production value and nice camera work.
Last edited by Murdoch on Thu Dec 03, 2020 10:33 pm, edited 2 times in total.

ando
Bringing Out El Duende

#196 Post by ando » Wed Dec 02, 2020 7:07 pm

HypnoHelioStaticStasis wrote:
Tue Dec 01, 2020 3:05 pm
https://flixable.com/ and https://usa.newonnetflix.info/ are two good sources for daily adds on Netflix (the latter site includes deletions, too).

hanshotfirst1138

#197 Post by hanshotfirst1138 » Thu Dec 03, 2020 3:21 pm

Is there any way to get 24p streaming?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ando
Bringing Out El Duende

#198 Post by ando » Thu Dec 03, 2020 9:36 pm

hanshotfirst1138 wrote:
Thu Dec 03, 2020 3:21 pm
Is there any way to get 24p streaming?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Need the right player (receiver). Fire Stick won't do it. From what I've gathered the Samsung UBD-K8500 UHD Blu-Ray Player is a sure shot. Gotta be others out there but you'll need to do the research.

RIP Film

#199 Post by RIP Film » Fri Dec 04, 2020 9:34 pm

In case anyone else missed it, looks like HBO Max is finally on Amazon Fire (officially). Roku not there yet.

D50

#200 Post by D50 » Sat Dec 05, 2020 11:32 pm

ando wrote:
Tue Dec 01, 2020 2:53 pm
Anyone know of any sites for browsing the Netflix catalog like instantwatcher.com (which ceased to update NF titles mid May of this year)?
justwatch